Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-30-2013, 03:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 325i
04 BMW 325i OVERHEATING PROBLEM CANT SOLVE! HELP

I cant find out why my car is overheating. I have put new Water pump, Fan , Fan clutch, radiator, coolant reservoir tank. Im thinkn its the head gasket.
Earlier i drove the car to the bank & it started overheating , so i let it cool down opened the reservoir cap & it was EMPTY. So i filled it up , started the car & saw that water was leaking from somewhere under the intake manifold. i couldnt get an eye on where it was coming out from. CAN YALL HELP PLEASE BEFORE I SEND IT TO THE SHOP & THEY TELL ME A RIDICULOUS AMOUNT TO FIX THE CAR IF I COULD DO IT MYSELF.
Ads by Google
Old 01-30-2013, 03:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
in the vicinity of "under the intake manifold" you have the water control valve that routes hot water to your heater core for heat inside the car. If it's that or one of the hoses connected to it, should not be too expensive to fix - should be able to see by removing some of the intake tubing or maybe just looking around the tubing down by the drivers shock tower. The other items in that vicinity are some hard plastic tubes that come out of the engine that I think you have to remove the intake manifold to get to. Those could be big $$$ if that's it. Check to make sure the lower connection to the expansion tank isn't leaking first and squirting water in that direction.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:49 PM
Regional Sponsor

Mein Auto: X3
I didn't see thermostat in the replaced list... There are plastic coolant pipes underneath the intake that go to the heater core and aux water pump. If these plastic pipes are leaking, then the engine has been severely overheated and you most likely have a cylinder head issue. You can replace these plastic pipes and hope for the best....
Old 01-30-2013, 03:51 PM

these are all the pieces I was talking about - look up your car for specific application , but I'd be surprised if they were different.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...90&hg=64&fg=18
Old 01-30-2013, 03:54 PM

could be one of these as well:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...00&hg=11&fg=35
Old 01-30-2013, 03:55 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Before attempting to get all bat-sh!t technical, do the simple things *first*, like bleed the system....it just might be air in the system....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 01-30-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahull View Post
these are all the pieces I was talking about - look up your car for specific application , but I'd be surprised if they were different.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...90&hg=64&fg=18
So some reason the heater inlet pipe does have a nut on it. i have no clue why it doesnt but ill have to put one & see if that is why its overheating.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
Before attempting to get all bat-sh!t technical, do the simple things *first*, like bleed the system....it just might be air in the system....
I bleed the system everytime i open the radiator cap.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:29 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerBMW View Post
Elaborate....

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 01-30-2013, 04:31 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Quote:
This makes little sense. You know it is unnecessary?
What exactly do you do and what motivates it?
Old 01-30-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Elaborate....
Every morning before i drive the car , i check to see if it has water, & i always have to put water. & Someone from the autoparts told me that everytime i open the cap to put water to also bleed the system. So i open the cap , unscrew the bleeder screw , put anitfreeze , put both the screw & cap back on. Let the car warm up a lil , & i bleed it till there is no air in the system.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:35 PM
Bimmer Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 325i and X3
Quote:
Every morning before i drive the car , i check to see if it has water, & i always have to put water. & Someone from the autoparts told me that everytime i open the cap to put water to also bleed the system. So i open the cap , unscrew the bleeder screw , put anitfreeze , put both the screw & cap back on. Let the car warm up a lil , & i bleed it till there is no air in the system.
Unless you're pouring a gallon of water in there's no need to bleed the system every time. if an autoparts store employee told you that he needs to find another job.

Member No. 470379
Old 01-30-2013, 09:00 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by halltristan View Post
Unless you're pouring a gallon of water in there's no need to bleed the system every time. if an autoparts store employee told you that he needs to find another job.
Agreed. Also, unless you have the heater going full blast, you`re not circulating the *entire* cooling system.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halltristan View Post
Well idk . I keep getting different answering from everybody. I just need some help trying to fix my overheating problem.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:14 PM

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP M/T
get a coolant system compression test done, that shouldn't be that expensive, right? (i'm a Non-US resident so don't know exactly how much that costs, over here it's for free)
it will pinpoint where's the leak is coming from, and go from there

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Give a man a Chef and he feeds him for a lifetime
Old 01-30-2013, 10:21 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Well idk . I keep getting different answering from everybody. I just need some help trying to fix my overheating problem.
Look....you should always start with the basics, which means bleeding the system *correctly* and *thoroughly*, which I doubt was done yet....

Old 01-31-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Look....you should always start with the basics, which means bleeding the system *correctly* and *thoroughly*, which I doubt was done yet....
I found where the coolant was leaking from , its coming from the Heater Intel Pipe , The o ring on it is bad most likely .
Old 01-31-2013, 11:03 AM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Quote:
in the vicinity of "under the intake manifold" you have the water control valve that routes hot water to your heater core for heat inside the car. If it's that or one of the hoses connected to it, should not be too expensive to fix - should be able to see by removing some of the intake tubing or maybe just looking around the tubing down by the drivers shock tower. The other items in that vicinity are some hard plastic tubes that come out of the engine that I think you have to remove the intake manifold to get to. Those could be big $$$ if that's it. Check to make sure the lower connection to the expansion tank isn't leaking first and squirting water in that direction.
Heater control valve is actually under the air filter housing on the drivers side of the car.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJBimmer View Post
Heater control valve is actually under the air filter housing on the drivers side of the car.
Yeah, I was thinking it was more under the intake boots, either way.... it's not far from intake mani. if it were to be leaking.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:04 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Quote:
Yeah, I was thinking it was more under the intake boots, either way.... it's not far from intake mani. if it were to be leaking.
I think you are more correct than I am. LOL It's mounted to the inner fender at the VERY back of the air filter housing, if not slightly behind. I only commented in case a noob was trying to find it at some point in the future.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:44 PM

Send a message via MSN to bmwmanz2 Send a message via Yahoo to bmwmanz2
Mein Auto: E39 528i
One way you can test the thermostat is to take some boiling water and dip your thermostat in the water to see if it opens up. Usually they have a predetermined temperature they open up at. This is usually from 188*-212*F. If it opens it will be ok. I it does nothing it may be stuck and need replacing. Thermostats are cheap. It probably isn't leaking from the thermostat housing or you would have said so. My bleeder screw cracked and caused mine to overheat. I replaced it with an aluminum one. As for overheating, I had a new water pump, bled all the air out, new thermostat, hoses were fine, radiator was good(no leaks or blockage), but my system was still overheating. I denied it being the head gasket. I read the codes and said cylinder 4&6 misfire. I threw some head gasket repair in there And it fixes it temporarily. From there I knew. I flushed everything and had a spare engine. I swapped ten out because I didn't have the $200+ for a head gasket and she has been running like a champ ever since.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:29 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
I have 2002 325i bmw n is getting overheating I replace the radiator, water pump, t-stat , temperature sensor and still getting overheating I don't know what to do ..is somebody can give me some idea to fix it before I take it to the mechanic. .thanx!

Last edited by bimmerus98; 09-30-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerus98 View Post
I have 2002 325i bmw n is getting overheating I replace the radiator, water pump, t-stat , temperature sensor and still getting overheating I don't know what to do ..is somebody can give me some idea to fix it before I take it to the mechanic. .thanx!
Proper bleeding of air from the system is essential. See the e46 wiki link near the top of the page for cooling system info, including bleeding procedure. Is the electric rad fan coming on when it starts to overheat? If not that may be your problem. Let it idle and open the hood to see if the fan comes on.

Other thoughts are a bad t-stat out of the box.
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD
Old 10-01-2013, 04:03 AM

^
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD