Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5
Actually with dipping in ethyl alcohol, spraying alcohol with a customized spray gun at high pressure, finally using terminal cleaner I gave been able to salvage tailgate module, fuel pump module and one more next to it. Hope I can be lucky with the few others too.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:11 PM

Also I am surprised to a lot common parts in x5 and 535xi
Old 01-29-2013, 07:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Good work thus far.

BTW, how are the flex-ray cables underneath the carpeting. Are they okay?

One request, would you mind Visual documenting your progress, would love to see how the nitty gritty on the X5 repair process.!

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 01-29-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katanaplanet View Post
Also I am surprised to a lot common parts in x5 and 535xi
They might be different platforms, but the electronics architecture is the same or one evolution up for the F, compared to the E

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 01-29-2013, 08:06 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 xDrive 40d
Katanaplanet, this is a great project of yours. Truly a challenge but why not? I guess the reward may even not be the completion but the process of mastering each step. Wishing you the best of success. I am an engineer and if I would live next door, I'd come around to help.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:30 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Everything is possible, the question is sometimes if its worth it.
It's kinda simple:
0) remove everything from the car,
Wash every single piece with fresh water, then alcohol, dry it etc.
Flush engine and tranny, inspect all sensors, wash them off.
1) get full inpa
2) read modules one by one
3) replace it or fix them
4) put everything together and get rid of it
Old 01-30-2013, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 50i
I have to say that I am a bit surprised by responses in this thread. Based on the purchase price, the vehicle can be parted out with minimal financial loss.

From a project perspective, a perfectly running 100% trouble free vehicle (even BMW struggles with that at times) may not be the end goal. Personally, I get alot of pleasure out of learning how and why something works. If Katana enjoys digging into the details and solving each puzzle, I could see how it could be quite enjoyable.

If in the end, he has a properly running vehicle, he will have had some fun and potentially realize a profit. If it fails, he may lose a few dollars. Either way, he still learned alot about how to troulbe shoot his vehicles. He got out of his wife's hair for a few hours and maybe enjoyed a beer or two while kicking around solutions with other enthusiasts.

I am interested in the results. I wish I was more savvy in BMW, I would offer to help.

Brian
Old 01-30-2013, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3; 2010 528;2013 X5
I am impressed with katanaplanet's efforts; I've been working on a Lionel train layout for 20 years and haven't finished it; a garden railway I have has been in the same status as the lionel for at least 10 years.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 Audi A6
Nevermind, found the answer...
Old 01-31-2013, 07:26 AM

Mein Auto: X5 50i
Quote:
I have pics of cars submerged in water, stuck in park on the truck, slowly all the stuff coming out etc. IF I am successful I will do a write up. I have learned a lot from forums (Land Rover, Mercedes, Lexus, Harley etc), and to some extent tried to contribute too. Never had so many people look down, make fun. Grow up guys!! The point you are trying to make is a pretty obvious one.
As far as the car is concerned its not as bad as you guys are making it. Engine is perfect. Exterior is new. Interior is pretty much back to original.
I have replaced some of the modules. Rest I will attempt one by one. If in the end I am unsuccessful its not end of the world.
I'm curious: are you doing this as a personal challenge, or with the hope to sell the vehicle once "repaired"?

If you do re-sell, won't the title say "salvage vehicle"? In the mean time, please share the VIN with us ... LOL

I'm looking forward to reading more about your incredible journey ...
BMWCCA #20645
Old 01-31-2013, 07:40 AM

Mein Auto: 04 Duramax 09 BMW X5
A neat project, interested in how you go about it and the insight you can provide on the X5. It would be great if a thread could be started that you could document your progress without all the NOISE that comes naturally in forums such as this. I'll be on the sidelines cheering you on! Please keep us informed.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:01 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post
I'm curious: are you doing this as a personal challenge, or with the hope to sell the vehicle once "repaired"?

If you do re-sell, won't the title say "salvage vehicle"? In the mean time, please share the VIN with us ... LOL

I'm looking forward to reading more about your incredible journey ...
OP discussed this inthe post I linked earlier. AND he posted the VINs.!!
Old 01-31-2013, 05:29 PM

Mein Auto: '11 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetman View Post

@ tribecaX5 - I was going to say something about NOT changing your own oil along with the rest of your "crowd" that don't but I see you're from NY so anything anybody tries to tell you is not going to sink in. For you, I say you need a very large cup of STFU. It's like the old saying goes....anybody can fix cars, but nobody can fix stupid....you proved this point with your immature replies. People like you make me sick and it's people like you that give forums a bad reputation. I find it interesting that at 114 posts, you have an opinion that you think actually matters. You should keep your "random thoughts" to yourself.....better yet, sell your X and join the Maxima crowd....you ain't worthy of a BMW!

Oh yeah, offer several others a sip from your cup....alexmish, gresch, and anyone else on the naysayer train....it's HIS project and if you don't have any words of encouragement for him, then......um, you know what I was going to say!

Back off so I can get back down from my rant box!
A ridiculous comment man. That's all I can say.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:36 PM

Not doing it to resell or for a profit
Old 01-31-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Tribecax5 he is at least contributing to this thread. I read all your posts, they sure don't reflect much age related maturity except repeating same thing over and over. Stick around and keep doing it. If I fail you can stand on tallest building in town and scream "see I told you guys". World is full of such individuals. Some people don't do crazy things some do provided its crazy enough!!
Actually, I wish you best of luck to you and would never want you to fail and I hope you make the car work. I will applaud you when you finish. All I said is that it's an impossible task in my opinion based on the experience with my car which was flooded. I asked people who do this for a living and they all shut me down. And when I say impossible, I mean in terms of the cost and access to BMW sources, programming etc. I am sure if you spent a ton of money you will get it to work.

Point is, is it really worth it?
Old 01-31-2013, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto: '11 X5 35d & 98 Cherokee
I know it tribby....I'm ashamed of myself! If I'm needed, I'll be in my playpen.

My apologies for wasting space on your thread katanaplanet. I envy your ability to have the knowledge and time for your project.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:53 PM

Trib
I don't know how to answer to your questions or comments. BTW topic of this thread is not "whether" but "how" to fix a flooded car. I hope you will stop repeating the same thing over and over and over again.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:56 PM

Mein Auto: M5 & X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecaX5 View Post
Whoever can afford an X5 does not change their own oil.

Wow.

Gone:
2005 X5 4.8is
2004 X5 4.4i Sport
2004 X3 3.0i 6MT
2002 M5
Old 01-31-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Trib
I don't know how to answer to your questions or comments. BTW topic of this thread is not "whether" but "how" to fix a flooded car. I hope you will stop repeating the same thing over and over and over again.
aye aye captain
Old 01-31-2013, 10:52 PM
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black

Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
Quote:
Not doing it to resell or for a profit
You may not but if you could provide feedback at the end as to the costs, it may help others who may be considering a similar effort. Of course, each instance may well be different but it would be nice to have a reference from someone who accomplished it as to what the final toll comes out to in the end.

I once restored a Hydroplane that everyone else had written off. What wasn't rotted was gone when I first started. I fiberglassed portions of the transom, replaced entire chunks of mahogany (boat was nearly 100% mahogany sheets), added a canvas front, etc. It was a 'summer project" for me and I am certain I spent WAY more than it was worth doing it but to me, it was a large model that I wanted to put back together better than new. At the end of the project, I enjoyed riding in it (until that one day I about flipped it doing 75MPH). We bought the boat for $10.00 and had nearly $2,500 into it at the end (2 heads & one racing lower unit, 4 props, etc). I think we got $1,600 from a collector and that helped me pay for my 1st year in college.

PS - The boat had originally set a speed record for the fastest straight line alcohol-burning engine of 99.17MPH in the late 60's & was even listed in the Guiness book of world records when I restored it (back in the late 70s). Mighty Flighty was it's name & I retained it when I restored it. It was a LOT of fun and very rewarding. I am certain you will find a similar feeling once you get to the end of this journey. Good luck & god's speed!

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)

Last edited by ndabunka; 01-31-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:58 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

katana- Have you gotten a cable, laptop and EDIBAS/INPA.GT1 software up and running??? Cable is ~ $30, SW free...
Old 02-01-2013, 07:08 PM

I did get the cable. Have not downloaded the software yet. Any specific site or google it?
Old 02-01-2013, 07:14 PM

^ blue dragon is a good source of info on these matters

Why does this matter?
Old 02-01-2013, 07:28 PM
nothing today

Mein Auto: 08 X5 4.8i
^^ check out BMWCoding.com for software, what cable to buy, advice.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:29 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I did get the cable. Have not downloaded the software yet. Any specific site or google it?
Search here, Other sub-forums will have more geek focus.

Bmwcoding.com

Do either of the cars turn over? Run?

A