Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Welcome to Bimmerfest > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions
Welcome to Bimmerfest! Whether you are a current BMW owner or just interested in BMW cars, we hope you enjoy your visit. Take a moment to introduce yourself and post a picture of your BMW for the rest of the community to see.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 Nissan Maxima
Considering a BMW

Hi, Guys and Gals.

The reason i come on to this forum is to do some research on bmw's i am considering purchasing a new used car in the coming months to a year. I currently have had my current car for close to 7 years and its getting up there in milidege and i feel its time to move on to something else, I am specifically looking at the 3 and 5 series Bimmers. I have also looked at older 7 series bimmers as well, Just trying to get a feel for maintence as well.

Sorry if i butchered some words its getting late, and its a last minute post up ha ha. Please also be aware BMW's aren't the only thing Iam looking at as well, I've been looking at Lexus's etc.
Ads by Google
Old 12-26-2012, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 09 Freightliner
Welcome!

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:48 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
BMWs generally require substantially more TLC than most cars, and owning one that`s out of warranty can be a painful experience. Don`t say we didn`t warn you....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*
Old 12-27-2012, 06:10 PM

Thanks for the welcomes, ill be sure to browse the forums to look for my answers, so ill try not to clutter the forum with useless questions etc.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:16 PM

After careful consideration, I've come to the conclusion if i were to get a bimmer, it would probably be a 3-series, I've been looking at all lines 328 330 and obviously 335, I've been looking at the X's cause i prefer AWD considering i live in the north east, and I want manual.

Now the question is new or used. If used Id like to keep miles under the 60K mark, nothing more then that. id probably end up getting the extended warranty incase i run into issues down the road. Another key issue would be insurance I am currently paying 215-220 a month right now just in insurance my vehicle is paid off and as stated I've had my current vehicle for close to 8 years.

What would you guys recommend I have though about leasing but not totally sure cause id like to keep my payments within the range of my car insurance. so maximum is 300 a month.

Hopefully this is enough info for you guys to work with and to see where I am going with this ha ha.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:27 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroFinest View Post
After careful consideration, I've come to the conclusion if i were to get a bimmer, it would probably be a 3-series, I've been looking at all lines 328 330 and obviously 335, I've been looking at the X's cause i prefer AWD considering i live in the north east, and I want manual.

Now the question is new or used. If used Id like to keep miles under the 60K mark, nothing more then that. id probably end up getting the extended warranty incase i run into issues down the road. Another key issue would be insurance I am currently paying 215-220 a month right now just in insurance my vehicle is paid off and as stated I've had my current vehicle for close to 8 years.

What would you guys recommend I have though about leasing but not totally sure cause id like to keep my payments within the range of my car insurance. so maximum is 300 a month.

Hopefully this is enough info for you guys to work with and to see where I am going with this ha ha.
Unless you do all your own work, you`d better figure around $1500 to $2,000 a year for maintainance & repairs. As far as the RWD vs. AWD issue goes, a RWD 3-Series (especially a stick) with a GOOD set of snow tires will generally outperform an Xi with All-season tires.(Cheaper, lighter, less complex, and more fun as well)
Overall, I think you`re budgeting way too low for what you want....

Old 12-28-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
Unless you do all your own work, you`d better figure around $1500 to $2,000 a year for maintainance & repairs. As far as the RWD vs. AWD issue goes, a RWD 3-Series (especially a stick) with a GOOD set of snow tires will generally outperform an Xi with All-season tires.(Cheaper, lighter, less complex, and more fun as well)
Overall, I think you`re budgeting way too low for what you want....
How do you figure i am budgeting too low?
Old 12-28-2012, 02:34 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
How do you figure i am budgeting too low?
Financing, or cash purchase ?

Old 12-28-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Financing, or cash purchase ?
I could do both, but i much rather finance due to the fact I want to establish a credit rating and don't want to tie up a wad of cash into a vehicle, and be stuck if something happens. hence why i said id rather keep my payments etc low.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:31 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
I could do both, but i much rather finance due to the fact I want to establish a credit rating and don't want to tie up a wad of cash into a vehicle, and be stuck if something happens. hence why i said id rather keep my payments etc low.
With car payments, insurance, maintainance & upkeep, I don`t see $300 a month as being anywhere *near* realistic....

Old 12-28-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
With car payments, insurance, maintainance & upkeep, I don`t see $300 a month as being anywhere *near* realistic....
Don't think were quite on the same page here. Anyway, i was saying id like to keep my car payment under 300 a month not have everything in total cost 300 a month. I know that for a fact that's unrealistic. I am looking at close to a grand a month if iam lucky for everything in total.

Last edited by EuroFinest; 12-28-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:41 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Don't think were quite on the same page here. Anyway, i was saying id like to keep my car payment under 300 a month not have everything in total cost 300 a month. I know that for a fact that's unrealistic. I am looking at close to a grand a month if iam lucky for everything in total.
NOW you`re talking !

Old 12-28-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
NOW you`re talking !
Yup, i dont know yet, my mind changes alot.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:02 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Yup, i dont know yet, my mind changes alot.
Yup....several nice choices available for that money....Happy Hunting !

Old 12-28-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Yup....several nice choices available for that money....Happy Hunting !
What do you mean by several nice choices? Are you talking strictly BMW or other makes and models? See that's the thing as well, I really dont want to spend that kind of money if i dont have too, its really just a luxury. Its like dating a hot girl, gotta keep up on them, if you let something go, then your screwed and that'll go elsewhere, I know probably a corny analogy but you get my point.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 330ci
First off welcome. If you search my threads you will find something on insurance. And truthfully your insurance is super high IMO. I'm 21 female in med school on my own policy and pay 130.25 now with full coverage and car being paid off, I have a 2013 328i on its way and with both full coverage it will be under 260 a month.

As for payments if you have a nice down payment you should buy or lease new. Clearly you won't get 200 a month. No way possible. Even 300 would be pushing it.

This being said, these cars are expensive to fix as I have done my own DIY and taken my car to be BMW dealer worked on. Thousands of dollars I've put into my car. I have a saving account just for maintenance on my 2002.

I chose to lease my 2013 with m package because I wanted it exactly how I wanted it plus I plan on buying it at end of lease. Leasing was cheaper than buying when it came down to payments for me. Plus I know I will not put over 12k a year on it. Plus all scheduled maintenance is covered. So no large out of pocket repairs.

I would not recommend your first BMW in an older model with miles over 50k.

Lastly, do you have a hundred or so extra a month saved or set aside for oil, 100k mile check up(spark plugs, filters, break fluid, temp gauge?) adds up quickly. I do love my e46

Good luck and don't forget to get anything your thinking of buying inspected before you sign on that line.

Quote:

Old 12-28-2012, 04:38 PM

I can personally say since I just went through the financing with BMW they asked me if my credit score was over 680. Do you have a co signer? I spent 2 years building my credit. I hope you have some credit or invest in a secured credit card( I used capital one. )

Quote:
Old 12-28-2012, 04:47 PM

Fast bob is completely correct. I wish I would have listened to him as well as others before I bought my e46. Some months I spend over 300 just in parts. Thankfully I didn't have a car payment and have a dream job for my age so I could afford this. 300 a month is not realistic at all.

I recently did a thread on insurance. 80 to 400 a month just on e46 models. Then car payment 100 to 700 maybe?( probably on the high side depending on credit score and interest rate) then you add in maintainance another 100+ a month.

Take a good look at what you bring in monthly over the past six months. Then start deducting insurance, car payments, gas, parts, labor.

Lastly call your insurance and see if they will estimate a payment for you. You need to have a set year make model. Or vin.

These cars are a joy to drive and a royal pain in the ass sometimes.

Quote:
Old 12-28-2012, 10:49 PM

Thanks for the tips. I'll keep all this in mind!
Old 01-31-2013, 06:07 PM
BMW CCA Member

Mein Auto: 10' 328i Cp;12' X5 35d
Order a new 320 and lease it. You can get it nicely equipped only for $400/mo.

2010 328i M Sport Package, BMW Performance Exhaust & Short Shift Kit.

Last edited by DrT; 02-01-2013 at 05:14 PM.