Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:48 PM

Mein Auto: 740
Navigation and Radio problem, not working. Broken! Tried MOST fiber bypass. PICS!!

Here's my problem:

"BMW" is only displayed (PIC#1)on the navigation screen (unless I break the MOST fiber loop-more info later). Wont do anything! No radio, chime, voice control, ect.

I tried that trick to bypass modules (ASK CD player, Voice Controller, CD changer, L7 Amp, Tuner) to exclude them from the MOST bus but not seem to be gaining any ground. I took that factory fiber loop from the glove box to bypass these modules.....

FYI: I did not have to purchase a spare, I just took the loop connector apart and connected the two end together (the fiber ends in the glove PIC #3)-this seemed to do the trick. It seems if ring bus is broke the red LED does flash, when connected red LED stays light. I took the actual fiber optic line out of the connector housing and used it for bypassing.

......1) when I used the 'fiber loop' to bypass any the modules in the trunk and including the ASK or CD changer in the dash (PIC #5), nothing happens. 'BMW' logo will still be displayed on the screen.
2) when i take any of the modules out of the network ring (unplugging ANY of the modules-not 'bypassing' anything) I DO GET the 'accept' prompt on the nav display (PIC#7) and can navigate through some functions but can operate only the climate functions. No Nav(PIC#8) or radio (PIC#9), chime, ect. I can only scroll through.
3) I also tried that trick to go into the MOST diagnostic screen (PIC#10), but nothing comes up under the 'MOST' menu. Again, the only way can control anything on the Nav display is when the MOST fiber ring is broke. If I try to connect the fiber ring back together at that point, it will just freeze on whatever is display I have up.
4) Nav disk DVD does seem to spin and eject fine. Although I have noticed it will still spin when the ignition is off.
5) Dash CD player seems to a spin the CD, but no sound of course.
6) CD changer tries to eject a the cartridge. But it never worked anyway.
7) All the modules seem to be transmitting light via the fiber.

Basically, the 'BMW' logo stays on when everything is connected and I cant do anything.

I got my whole car torn apart and need some advise on what to do next?
Do I need some software to reset the ghost errors after bypassing each module?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1479.JPG
Views:	409
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	358369   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1480.JPG
Views:	389
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	358370   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1477.JPG
Views:	402
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	358371   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1481.JPG
Views:	410
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	358372   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1483.JPG
Views:	421
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	358373  

Name:	IMG_1484.JPG
Views:	383
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	358374   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1485.JPG
Views:	362
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	358375   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1487.JPG
Views:	361
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	358376   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1488.JPG
Views:	368
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	358377   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1489.JPG
Views:	371
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	358378  

Last edited by resistro; 01-19-2013 at 05:34 PM. Reason: update
Ads by Google
Old 01-19-2013, 08:28 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by resistro View Post
Here's my problem:

"BMW" is only displayed (PIC#1)on the navigation screen (unless I break the MOST fiber loop-more info later). Wont do anything! No radio, chime, voice control, ect.

I tried that trick to bypass modules (ASK CD player, Voice Controller, CD changer, L7 Amp, Tuner) to exclude them from the MOST bus but not seem to be gaining any ground. I took that factory fiber loop from the glove box to bypass these modules.....

FYI: I did not have to purchase a spare, I just took the loop connector apart and connected the two end together (the fiber ends in the glove PIC #3)-this seemed to do the trick. It seems if ring bus is broke the red LED does flash, when connected red LED stays light. I took the actual fiber optic line out of the connector housing and used it for bypassing.

......1) when I used the 'fiber loop' to bypass any the modules in the trunk and including the ASK or CD changer in the dash (PIC #5), nothing happens. 'BMW' logo will still be displayed on the screen.
2) when i take any of the modules out of the network ring (unplugging ANY of the modules-not 'bypassing' anything) I DO GET the 'accept' prompt on the nav display (PIC#7) and can navigate through some functions but can operate only the climate functions. No Nav(PIC#8) or radio (PIC#9), chime, ect. I can only scroll through.
3) I also tried that trick to go into the MOST diagnostic screen (PIC#10), but nothing comes up under the 'MOST' menu. Again, the only way can control anything on the Nav display is when the MOST fiber ring is broke. If I try to connect the fiber ring back together at that point, it will just freeze on whatever is display I have up.
4) Nav disk DVD does seem to spin and eject fine. Although I have noticed it will still spin when the ignition is off.
5) Dash CD player seems to a spin the CD, but no sound of course.
6) CD changer tries to eject a the cartridge. But it never worked anyway.
7) All the modules seem to be transmitting light via the fiber.

Basically, the 'BMW' logo stays on when everything is connected and I cant do anything.

I got my whole car torn apart and need some advise on what to do next?
Do I need some software to reset the ghost errors after bypassing each module?
Dude, don't be so cheap!! It will cost you more time and money

Get a new loop jumper and bypass navi and everything will work.
According to pic3 you lose lots of data.
You thought you saved 30$??? Really??? I'm impressed
Your FYI failed

Last edited by SFbay; 01-19-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:25 PM

Like I stated, I already bypassed the NAV and it didn't help..
FYI: i wasn't trying trying to be cheap. Just wanted to let people know you don't have to go threw the trouble to buy a bypass loop when there is already one there you can use when your smart about it.

Looks like you failed DUDE
Old 01-31-2013, 04:45 PM
Family, Music and cars..

Mein Auto: 2007 750Li
Pssst Hey Resistro...when you take the fiber loop out the glovebox to use to check other stuff..............YOUR STILL BREAKING THE LOOP (hence calling it a loop) Its not a spare...its also part of the system.

Nothing major
07 750Li w/chrome 128's
00 S500
98 Tahoe
94 GS300
Old 01-31-2013, 11:34 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by resistro View Post
Like I stated, I already bypassed the NAV and it didn't help..
FYI: i wasn't trying trying to be cheap. Just wanted to let people know you don't have to go threw the trouble to buy a bypass loop when there is already one there you can use when your smart about it.

Looks like you failed DUDE
I didn't fail, bc I can see that your connection is not usable for fb,
Instead of saying "thank you" I hear Fk off?? Ok, good luck and stop asking for advice then!

Last edited by SFbay; 01-31-2013 at 11:35 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 745Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by 219BMW View Post
Pssst Hey Resistro...when you take the fiber loop out the glovebox to use to check other stuff..............YOUR STILL BREAKING THE LOOP (hence calling it a loop) Its not a spare...its also part of the system.
Spot on
Old 02-25-2013, 04:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 745iL
I had the same problem with mine... My CD Stacker in the dash was jammed... I pulled the unit out, and opened it up to get the CD Mag out of the unit... I somehow, ruined the unit, and I lost stereo, Nav, time... The lot...

I got a replacement unit, and it all works again...
Old 03-22-2013, 12:05 PM

FINALLY solved it, my 'BMW' logo stuck on the Nav. It was the ASK unit. 100% sure. I decided to reset the Bat. every time I bypassed a MOST unit with the fiber jumper. When I got to the ASk unit the Nav came alive (of course no sound or Nav options cause ASK was bypassed). So I took the ASK apart and re-flowed the soldier connections and WOW it started working normally again!! Radio, Nav, Voice-everything is working now. Didn't even have to buy another one!

The ASK unit also controls some diagnostic functions it is considered the Connection/Network/Audio master. So when it was down I could not even use INPA to check any error read-outs of any of the MOST units so I could not narrow it down to a specific unit. )f course now, I can see all the units.

So glad that problem is over with!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1829.JPG
Views:	297
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	367622   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1828.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	367623   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1830.JPG
Views:	277
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	367624   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1833.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	367625  

Last edited by resistro; 04-06-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:57 PM

Mein Auto: 730d e65 individual
Hello resistro, i have exactly the same problem of yours. But can you show me or explain how you repair your ask unit. My problem is certainly also the connected because, somme tome it work fine 2 minutes and after it shut down (hé freeze) please help me because i just buy a nav unit ( diag by bmw) and it still not working... Thanks a lot
Old 01-25-2014, 10:59 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 745LI
Do u have to make the "lollipop" like that to bypass amp? Like do I have to break the "lollipop"?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-25-2014, 12:54 PM

Mein Auto: 730d e65 individual
Hi, excuse me but the problem is resolve, it was the ask in default, i replace it and now it working fine. Thank you
Old 02-01-2014, 07:27 PM
745 ****ie

Mein Auto: 745i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by cravin2012 View Post
I had the same problem with mine... My CD Stacker in the dash was jammed... I pulled the unit out, and opened it up to get the CD Mag out of the unit... I somehow, ruined the unit, and I lost stereo, Nav, time... The lot...

I got a replacement unit, and it all works again...
Hey Cravin, i seem to have the exact same issue, precisely. What "unit" did you need to end up replacing?
Old 02-06-2014, 03:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 745iL
Hi There, I was lucky that a dismantler had the same unit as mine in stock... So I replaced it with the same that was in my dash... cheers
Old Yesterday, 09:40 PM

Mein Auto:
So I have the same issue if I replace the navigation unit will that take care of the problem

Old Today, 05:40 PM

Mein Auto:
What did u replace ????