Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 01-31-2013, 06:43 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Is my outside mirror broken?

While I was parked at my client's workplace, someone must have hit and/or manually folded my driver's side mirror, as I came back to the car realising that one mirror was folded in while the other wasn't (I have the electric folding mirrors). Now I've lost all functionality in the driver's side; it will not fold and none of the adjustments on the mirror itself work (up/down/left/right).

Is this indicative that I need a whole new mirror housing, or can something be done? I was hoping some reinitialisation would do, but if the mirror adjustments don't work, I fear something more serious may be broken.

This incident reinforces my opinions of SC (which I shall not name, as there are SC residents on this board) and my glee that I will be moving back to NC soon
Ads by Google
Old 01-31-2013, 08:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Reintialize if possible.

Disclaimer: not responsible for any damage, so do at your own risk.

Have you unfolded the mirror? do you hear any internals when try to adjust?

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 01-31-2013, 08:59 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

How do you reinitialise?

I did fold it manually (cuz I need to see when I'm driving). Tried a few times pushing it back in and hoping it would "catch" the mechanism but no avail......that's when I realised the mirror adjustments don't work. I don't hear any internals when I move it except the usual clunk when in the fully folded in position/detent. Other side works 100% fine.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:33 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
I didn't realize the power mirrors could not be folded/unfolded manually without damage to the activating system. Not a good thing if that is the case. I have folded mirrors from time to time when the person parking has done so in a way that makes it difficult to get by, or open the car door without hitting the mirror housing. Never thought about it, now I will be more considerate and only fold them if I absolutely have to. You might be able to get a new folding mirror from a dismantling yard for cheap. Good luck and I hope it is just a system failure you can reverse.

Last edited by UncleJ; 02-01-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:12 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Not surprised, the dealer diagnosed it as a broken mirror assembly and quoted at $845. I did some research; I can get the part for $430 but replacing the assembly requires taking the door panel apart, something I really don't want to do on my own. Looks like I'm gonna have to wait for my next paycheque.....

Really pissed that some idiot's actions is going to cost me this much money. Whoever you are, if you'd just lose some weight and skip the Southern food perhaps a couple times a week, you'd be able to fit between parked cars without causing collateral damage.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:18 AM

Mein Auto: 3er
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Not surprised, the dealer diagnosed it as a broken mirror assembly and quoted at $845. I did some research; I can get the part for $430 but replacing the assembly requires taking the door panel apart, something I really don't want to do on my own. Looks like I'm gonna have to wait for my next paycheque.....

Really pissed that some idiot's actions is going to cost me this much money. Whoever you are, if you'd just lose some weight and skip the Southern food perhaps a couple times a week, you'd be able to fit between parked cars without causing collateral damage.
My vegan roommate did $1,400 of damage to my bumper because he can't control a trash bin. People suck everywhere, just be happy you don't live in France where simple parking is a contact sport.