Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-01-2013, 10:20 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35D MSport
Interactive Steering Fault X5 35d mSport

Hi, I have a Sept 2009 X5 35d mSport. Almost since the car was new i have experienced an ongoing fault with the interactive steering. It manifests itself in different ways from "Interactive Steering Failure, DSC failure, 4X4 failure" diagnostic messages which clear themselves within a few minutes. These 'gong' messages usually occur at very low speeds and with little or no movement in the steering wheel. The other type of problem, which occurred again today, is when manouevering into a parking space and partial to full lock is used. Again the same diagnostics appear but the steering wheel remains at an odd angle and the steering is excessively heavy. In the past this has necessitated the car being towed to the dealership and for them to have the car for 3 to 4 days. They have twice replaced wiring looms and a battery but the problem persists. The warranty has now expired but the service manager acknowledges that this is the same problem and therefore i am not charged for the 'repairs'. Today I drove the car home and as I turned into my garage the fault cleared and the on screen diagnostics disappeared. This is the first time this has happened. The car has been in the dealership on at least 10 occasions for this issue. I am at my wits end in that I have no faith that they will ever eradicate the problem which has persisted for over 3 years. Has anyone out there experienced this same fault and if so did you ever get it fixed?
Advertisement