Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 02:40 PM
Ac***** ******

Mein Auto: .
^^^
Old 01-31-2013, 06:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSL View Post
Worldwide, BlackBerry has several key markets that are revealing pricing and availability today, including the UK, Canada and UAE.

In the UK, BlackBerry Z10 smartphones will be available fully subsidized on competitive monthly pay contracts. Price points will vary according to carriers and retail partners. The BlackBerry Z10 will be available beginning Jan 31 on pay monthly contracts and pre-pay plans from:
• EE
• O2
• Vodafone
• Phones 4u
• BT
• 3UK
• Carphone Warehouse

In Canada, the BlackBerry Z10 will be available on February 5th. Pricing will vary by carrier partner, but it will retail for around $149.99 on a 3-year contract.

In the UAE, the BlackBerry Z10 will be available on February 10th. Pricing will vary by carrier partner, but unsubsidized it will retail for AED 2,599.

In the U.S. market, we expect availability with most carriers for the BlackBerry Z10 to be in March. Today, U.S. carriers will start announcing pre-registration and price plans ($199 with contract).

Many of BlackBerry’s global partners have already launched or will be launching pre-registration and pre-order sites today.

BlackBerry expects the first global carriers to launch the BlackBerry Q10 in April. They will announce new pricing and availability information as carriers roll-out around the world.

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2013/01/...erry-10-price/

As far as the UAE is concerned..
http://www.arabianbusiness.com/black...ch-487771.html
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold
Old 01-31-2013, 06:41 PM
Ac***** ******

Mein Auto: .
No point in replying to this copypasta bot - I don't think the bot's script is able to respond to replies
Old 01-31-2013, 09:33 PM

We basically have two new smartphones from Blackberry which are the Q10 and Z10. The Z10 is the smartphone which is supposed to try and take on the other touch screen smartphones like Galaxy S3,Soon to come Galaxy S4,Samsung Note 2,iPhone 5 and other similar touch screen smartphones out there but with the model they released I think that they did not really come with much new to get people with those smartphones to make the switch to Blackberry as other smartphones out there pretty much offer what the new Z10 offers plus more. The only advantage that Blackberry may have with the new Z10 is some security features for privacy (will have to wait and see though). As of now though the same issue that plagued the iPhone 5 which was Maps will also hurt Blackberry with the Z10 as there is no Street View and Google Maps which most people seem to prefer.

The Q10 though is another ball game as the keyboard fans will always love this smartphone as it offers more than the previous model. I had mentioned before that it does not offer 4G or LTE from what I saw on GSM Arena but now I am seeing different reports of which it will offer 4G / LTE on their new Q10 smartphones. I reckon that all the old Bold 9900 people would buy this phone and they may even get a few new smartphone buyers to buy the new Q10. For the Q10 market they will get all the loyal oldies that will buy and upgrade. Some new ones will come along as well but I highly doubt that everyone out there would dump their iPhone 5 or Samsung Note 2 to buy this new Z10. There will be a few that care about privacy and security but not much if you ask me.

As we saw from the stock decline it was like a guy excited about having sex with this chick but once he entered he went limp and realized that it was nothing special like he had hoped for
Stock went from erect mode to limp mode
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold

Last edited by stylinexpat; 01-31-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:43 PM

Mein Auto: 330i
BB10 Apps

BlackBerry welcomes more than 1000 of the top app partners with relevant, local content from every region of the globe

A phenomenal lineup of top brands and applications have committed to the BlackBerryฎ 10 platform, giving the new platform the strongest content offering of any first generation mobile platform at launch. Yesterday at the BlackBerry 10 launch event in New York, BlackBerryฎ (NASDAQ: BBRY; TSX: BB) announced that 1000 of the top app partners will be making their applications available on the BlackBerryฎ World™ storefront. The partners range from leaders in social media to the top games, sports, productivity, lifestyle apps, and more.

BlackBerry Vice President of Global Alliances and Business Development, Martyn Mallick took to the stage yesterday to showcase some of applications committed to BlackBerry 10, and attendees were able to play with some of the applications for the new platform.

“Being able to announce 1000 of the top app partners is a testament to the strength of BlackBerry 10, the ease of developing for this powerful new platform, and the remarkable opportunity that it represents for developers and brands alike,” said Mallick. “We have focused on bringing the most relevant apps to BlackBerry 10 – whether they are global leaders in their categories, or whether they are regional must-have apps. We are thrilled and want to thank all the developers that have shown such strong support of a platform before it has commercially launched. We share in their excitement and belief in BlackBerry 10.”

Here are just some of the apps and games committed to BlackBerry 10. Many of these apps will be available at launch with others to follow:

Business and Productivity
• Bloomberg
• BMC Service Desk & Remedy
• Box
• Cisco WebEx Meetings
• Citrix Podio
• CNBC
• Dictionary.com
• Emirates NBD
• Harmon.ie
• IBM Notes Traveler
• ING DIRECT Canada
• Nat West
• RBC
• RBS
• SAP
• TD Bank Group
• Thomson Reuters

Gaming
• 10tons: Sparkle, Joining Hands, Azkend, King Oddball, Azkend2, Ironworm, Dragon Portal and Boom Brigade 2
• Disney Mobile Games: Where's My Water? and Where's My Perry?
• Electronic Arts: A great selection of their top games including, Mass Effect™ Infiltrator, Flight Control Rocket, The SimsTM FreePlay and MONOPOLY Millionaire
• Fishlabs: Galaxy on Fire
• Funkoi: Alpha Zero
• Gameloft: A great selection of their top games, including Asphalt 7: Heat, The Amazing Spider-Man™, Modern Combat 4: Zero Hour, The Dark Knight Rises™
• Halfbrick: Jetpack Joyride, Fruit Ninja
• JoyBits: Doodle God & Doodle Devil
• Rovio: Angry Birds Classic, Angry Birds Star Wars, Angry Bids Space and Angry Birds Seasons
• Square One Games: Square One and InXile
• SEGA: Sonic4™ Episode 1
• ZeptoLab- Cut the Rope, Cut the Rope: Experiments

Lifestyle
• AccuWeather
• Air Canada
• Air France
• DStv Mobile
• Dr. Oetker Rezeptideen
• Easyjet
• FlightAware
• Flixster
• KLM
• Manulife Financial
• President’s Choice Recipe Box
• SkyScanner
• Spotcast
• StubHub
• The Weather Channel
• The Weather Network
• Tim Hortons TimmyMe™
• United Airlines
• Wikitude
• WisePilot
• Yellow Pages Group
• Zara

Multimedia
• Absolute Radio
• Al Jazeera
• Allocin้
• Astral Radio
• BBC Worldwide - Top Gear
• BubblePix
• Channel 4
• Corus Entertainment- Radio
• Deezer
• E! Online
• eMusic
• Europe 1
• Kiss Kube
• MTV Italia
• Nobex Radio
• NOS
• N-TV Nachrichten
• Occipital 360 Panorama
• OxygenLive
• Pacemaker
• PaperCamera
• Rdio
• Shahid.net
• SiriusXM
• Slacker
• Songza
• SoundHound
• TuneIn
• Volu.me

Published Media
• AFP News
• Amazon Kindle
• CBC (News, Radio, Music, Hockey Night in Canada)
• Economist
• elmundo.es
• El Pais
• Grazia Italy
• Handlesbaltt
• Kicker
• Leo Dictionary
• MailOnline
• Maxim
• News24
• New York Times
• NU.nl
• PressReader
• The Globe and Mail
• The Guardian
• The Independent
• The London Evening Standard
• USA Today
• The Wall Street Journal
• Wirtschaftswoche

Social
• Badoo
• Facebook
• Foursquare
• LinkedIn
• ooVoo
• Twitter
• Viber
• Whatsapp
• Xing

Sports
• CBSSports.com
• ESPN ScoreCenter
• Goal.com
• L’equipe
• Maple Leafs and Raptors Mobile App
• MLB.com At Batฎ
• NHL GameCenter
• PGA Tour
• Runtastic
• Sports Tracker
• UFC

Continuing to build out a rich and robust content offering for BlackBerry 10 customers, on January 28, BlackBerry announced content partnerships with leading music labels, movie studios and TV broadcasters making BlackBerry World a one stop shop for all app, games and multimedia content for BlackBerry 10.

http://us.blackberry.com/

http://press.blackberry.com/press/20...-tv-shows.html

Old 01-31-2013, 11:04 PM
Living a dream!

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
So MCSL... tell us which of those apps are exclusive to Blackberry and are not already available on iOS or Android?

Blackberry will mostly appeal to existing customers, how will those two devices win them new customers? How will they eat into Android or Apple marketshare?

Answer? They won't... and selling to their already diminishing base will not sustain them longterm.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:09 PM

Mein Auto: 330i
BlackBerry 10

http://bgr.com/gallery/blackberry-10-os-walkthrough/

Old 02-01-2013, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneArch View Post
So MCSL... tell us which of those apps are exclusive to Blackberry and are not already available on iOS or Android?

Blackberry will mostly appeal to existing customers, how will those two devices win them new customers? How will they eat into Android or Apple marketshare?

Answer? They won't... and selling to their already diminishing base will not sustain them longterm.
Lol... I think you will get another copy/paste article for marketing. This is sort of like someone offering to sell you a new TV to now watch TV channels that you could already watch on your current TV.
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold
Old 02-01-2013, 08:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 528 xi
You guys do realize that BGR is anti-blackberry? That one of the editors whined because he wasn't able to get a dev alpha unit back in July EDIT: MAY?
http://mutwira.wordpress.com/2012/05...rting-exposed/

Yes, I'm a BlackBerry fan and yes I hate the iPhone. But I mean come on look at what BB has said, they are looking to capture the #3 spot, not #1. Baby steps.
Oh and the brady bunch video is retarded. I mean give them the phone out of the box with the tutorial first. I'm sure you also saw the press release, you are going to tell me after watching it, the device is hard to use? I bet you already know how to unlock the device & check your email.

Look, obviously, besides the ctrl+v robot here you are all iPhone fanboys. More power to you, I'm glad you are happy with your phones. I really hope BlackBerry does well. Here I sit with my windows phone 7.5(radar) and I miss BBM so much.

Last edited by B00TS; 02-01-2013 at 08:38 AM. Reason: wrong month
Old 02-01-2013, 09:29 AM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by B00TS View Post
You guys do realize that BGR is anti-blackberry? That one of the editors whined because he wasn't able to get a dev alpha unit back in July EDIT: MAY?

Yes, I'm a BlackBerry fan and yes I hate the iPhone. But I mean come on look at what BB has said, they are looking to capture the #3 spot, not #1. Baby steps.
Oh and the brady bunch video is retarded. I mean give them the phone out of the box with the tutorial first. I'm sure you also saw the press release, you are going to tell me after watching it, the device is hard to use? I bet you already know how to unlock the device & check your email.

Look, obviously, besides the ctrl+v robot here you are all iPhone fanboys. More power to you, I'm glad you are happy with your phones. I really hope BlackBerry does well. Here I sit with my windows phone 7.5(radar) and I miss BBM so much.
Excuses and personal attacks. That's all we seem to get from RIM boys.

What makes B10 so special that I should switch from my Note 2 and iPhone 5? Nothing. Because they already do everything. Better hardware, better OS, better app store, list goes on and on.

I've probably owned more smartphones than anyone here, and my old RIM devices wre consistently the worst. They deserve to die. No innovation at all. This is 2013 and RIM is releasing a touch screen phone with last year's specs?

Last edited by AutoUnion; 02-01-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:

The great thing about Apple Smartphones and Google based smartphones is that those that travel often or speak two or more languages can receive messages and reply back in more than one language. Last but not least can read all languages as well where these things are not possible on Blackberry smartphones and Windows based smartphones.
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold
Old 02-01-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
The great thing about Apple Smartphones and Google based smartphones is that those that travel often or speak two or more languages can receive messages and reply back in more than one language. Last but not least can read all languages as well where these things are not possible on Blackberry smartphones and Windows based smartphones.
So when they showed the keyboard functionality using two languages that was not good enough(in real time I might add)? Or do you mean the phone translates for you on native apps? Or that voice apps can speak two languages?

Just trying to clarify what you mean.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Excuses and personal attacks. That's all we seem to get from RIM boys.

What makes B10 so special that I should switch from my Note 2 and iPhone 5? Nothing. Because they already do everything. Better hardware, better OS, better app store, list goes on and on.

I've probably owned more smartphones than anyone here, and my old RIM devices wre consistently the worst. They deserve to die. No innovation at all. This is 2013 and RIM is releasing a touch screen phone with last year's specs?
Yep, so you must have known how terrible iPhones were when they first came out, especially for email. I would say with the iPhone 4 it got better.

App store you are right. iPhone will win that battle, I admit defeat on that. But is that truly BB's fault? They can push and push but if developers don't want to develop what are you going to do?

I think the hardware thing is debatable but whatever.

So a non-mulittasking OS is better than a true multitasking one? Interesting.

Yes, I admit BB ****ed up royally but to say this phone is crap just seems...wrong.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:13 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330i ZHP
Quote:
Yep, so you must have known how terrible iPhones were when they first came out, especially for email. I would say with the iPhone 4 it got better.

App store you are right. iPhone will win that battle, I admit defeat on that. But is that truly BB's fault? They can push and push but if developers don't want to develop what are you going to do?

Yes, I admit BB ****ed up royally but to say this phone is crap just seems...wrong.
The phone isn't crap. It just isn't doing anything better than the competition so why migrate back to it? Every review says the camera is terrible in low light and inferior to the iphone and nokia phones under all conditions. The screen isn't made from Gorilla glass. WTF? The phone call quality is average based on reviews. The battery life after testing is way lower than the competitors, weak app selection and the BB phone (BB10) doesn't even work with BES. It uses microsoft exchange. So in the final analysis, why go back to BB??? Because it uses gestures? That's a novelity not a differentiator that will bring customers back. Overall, the phone is pretty good just not better than the competitors and in many instances (camera, battery life, durability (gorilla glass)), the phone is inferior.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330soon2b View Post
The phone isn't crap. It just isn't doing anything better than the competition so why migrate back to it? Every review says the camera is terrible in low light and inferior to the iphone and nokia phones under all conditions. The screen isn't made from Gorilla glass. WTF? The phone call quality is average based on reviews. The battery life after testing is way lower than the competitors, weak app selection and the BB phone (BB10) doesn't even work with BES. It uses microsoft exchange. So in the final analysis, why go back to BB??? Because it uses gestures? That's a novelity not a differentiator that will bring customers back. Overall, the phone is pretty good just not better than the competitors and in many instances (camera, battery life, durability (gorilla glass)), the phone is inferior.
So it doesn't use Gorilla Glass so what? It uses Touch on Lens, I do not know the durability of it. BlackBerry 10 does work with BES10. You expected a brand new OS to work with an older version of BES? You expected all the encryption and everything to just magically work.
And yes it will be able to use ActiveSync.

To quote Jon Stewart:

"Are there NO rules on Bull**** Mountain?"
Old 02-01-2013, 10:29 AM
Living a dream!

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
The new BB phones would have been great and potential world beaters if they were released 2-3 years ago. Today they don't bring enough compelling features to the table. The camera is mediocre, battery life is reported as poor. No cloud backup/restore, the 70K apps are really more like 10K decent apps, not terriblle Android ports.

Where is the innovation that will drive people to Blackberry?
Old 02-01-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
The new BB phones would have been great and potential world beaters if they were released 2-3 years ago. Today they don't bring enough compelling features to the table. The camera is mediocre, battery life is reported as poor. No cloud backup/restore, the 70K apps are really more like 10K decent apps, not terriblle Android ports.

BlackBerry Protect backs up the device via cloud. So 10k decent apps isn't that more than Apple or Android had at their launches?

Yeah the camera is crap. Do most people's iPhones make it through the day? My work G3 battery is crap too.

I think the real problem is the phone didn't exactly act like an iPhone, but then you would complain it was a copy right? Besides not having some app, what would you have like to see on this phone? What feature would make you go wow and instantly switch over? Just curious.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
BlackBerry Protect backs up the device via cloud. So 10k decent apps isn't that more than Apple or Android had at their launches?

Yeah the camera is crap. Do most people's iPhones make it through the day? My work G3 battery is crap too.

I think the real problem is the phone didn't exactly act like an iPhone, but then you would complain it was a copy right? Besides not having some app, what would you have like to see on this phone? What feature would make you go wow and instantly switch over? Just curious.
my iphone has an excellent camera, the battery lasts me all day under my use, I have my email set-up on exchange so it pushes instantly. Why do I need to go back to BB? I can't think of one compelling reason. It seems like it would be a major step backwards. I would be getting older hardware, less battery life/performance, inferior mapping, and similar email support. What is the differentiator that makes the BB10 phones the compelling choice? Gestures??
Old 02-01-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:

+1 The BB10 doesn't bring anything new to the table. Camera phone with email support has been on the market for a longgg time now.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:

You're forgetting that when the iPhone came out, it was like nothing out there. It was completely different. BB10 is a "me too" device, yet still fails to differentiate themselves.enough.

And iOS multi tasks. Just because it doesn't use BS gestures to do it, doesn't mean it can't multitask
Old 02-01-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
+1 The BB10 doesn't bring anything new to the table. Camera phone with email support has been on the market for a longgg time now.
So you didn't answer what FEATURE the phone would need?

Sending photos from BlackBerry my god I think I was doing that since the BB Storm. Have you ever owned a BlackBerry?

I know it is a little biased but I really think you need to read the review from CrackBerry. Again, I know it is biased but I think you should give a read. Even he admits the quirks of it.

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-z10-review
Old 02-01-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
You're forgetting that when the iPhone came out, it was like nothing out there. It was completely different. BB10 is a "me too" device, yet still fails to differentiate themselves.enough.

And iOS multi tasks. Just because it doesn't use BS gestures to do it, doesn't mean it can't multitask
iOS does NOT mulittask. Only select programs that Apple allows multitasks.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
So you didn't answer what FEATURE the phone would need?

Sending photos from BlackBerry my god I think I was doing that since the BB Storm. Have you ever owned a BlackBerry?

I know it is a little biased but I really think you need to read the review from CrackBerry. Again, I know it is biased but I think you should give a read. Even he admits the quirks of it.

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-z10-review
unfortuately, I owned a Storm 2...epic failure.

I still don't know what the BB10 phones do that would bring customers back, especially to an inferior camera, similar email, and worse battery performance.

I am pretty happy with iphone. I was a blackberry user for years and stopped after the Storm 2 debacle. My iphone does everything I need. Camera is excellent, phone quality excellent with Verizon, screen excellent, battery life excellent, google maps excellent, email satisfactory, browser excellent. Not sure what the BB10 phones bring to the table that would sway me from an excellent experience and quite frankly to be a beta tester for a new OS that may not be supported in a few years if BB goes the way of Palm.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:

I still don't know what the BB10 phones do that would bring customers back, especially to an inferior camera, similar email, and worse battery performance.

I am pretty happy with iphone. I was a blackberry user for years and stopped after the Storm 2 debacle. My iphone does everything I need. Camera is excellent, phone quality excellent with Verizon, screen excellent, battery life excellent, google maps excellent, email satisfactory, browser excellent. Not sure what the BB10 phones bring to the table that would sway me from an excellent experience and quite frankly to be a beta tester for a new OS that may not be supported in a few years if BB goes the way of Palm.
While some of your statements are opinions obviously, I appreciate your honest answer. Thank you.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:

Haha, the Storm. Pile of crap. I remember almost switching carriers to get one, then I played with it. The clicky touch screen was junk.
Closed Thread