Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-09-2013, 09:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP M/T
i would've removed those stock restrictive headers and put aftermarket ones since the block was already off... oh well
hope u like the performance of the 3.0 as much as i do

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Give a man a Chef and he feeds him for a lifetime
Old 01-10-2013, 09:03 AM

Mein Auto: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmys 530i View Post
I am curious as to why you decided to remove the engine without the transmission. I find it much harder and time consuming compared to dropping the engine/transmission from the bottom with the subframe.
I didn't do the work, a shop is doing it in houston. so i don't know
Old 01-10-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heztheone View Post
i would've removed those stock restrictive headers and put aftermarket ones since the block was already off... oh well
hope u like the performance of the 3.0 as much as i do
oh well, i'll do that at a later time
Old 01-10-2013, 09:08 AM

Mein Auto: E39 ///M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlic53 View Post
I didn't do the work, a shop is doing it in houston. so i don't know
Sounds like a smart mechanic, getting a few extra hours of labor in there. More $$$
Tuning Tech Tune by Frank Smith (http://www.tuningtechfs.com/)
Tuning Tech IAT Kit
Supersprint Headers - July'14
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace
Storm Motorwerks Products

2006 X3 3.0i M-Sport | Silver Grey | Terracotta | AT | Navigation | Premium Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | AFE |
Old 01-11-2013, 04:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 325i, 11 X5 35d
Hey if it works, that's great !
I would be interested if it worked for you !
Old 01-11-2013, 04:34 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmys 530i View Post
I am curious as to why you decided to remove the engine without the transmission. I find it much harder and time consuming compared to dropping the engine/transmission from the bottom with the subframe.
I wondered that myself. It is so much easier to just take the 30 minutes to remove the front bumper, radiator, and core support and then pull the trans and engine as a unit.

Interested to see how the 3.0 runs with the wrong ECU and injectors.

Quote:
what hassle is there? all i have to do is have bmw flash the DME to handle the 3.0 thats it.
everything bolts up exactly the same
Not quite sparky. Good luck with all that.

Also, your transmission is rated for less torque, hopefully that won't be a problem long term.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....

Last edited by smolck; 01-11-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:20 PM

Few extra hours of labor? Lol your funny, I'm no idiot, we agreed on the labor b4 I bought the engine so if it takes him a week or 2 days I pay the same. And he's already installed the new injectors and ECU, he gave me a parts list that he had to change out, no extra charge since he had the wrecked car there he just took the parts off of it onto mine, don't be so quick to run your mouth. I know what I'm doing
Old 01-12-2013, 08:45 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
don't be so quick to run your mouth. I know what I'm doing
Kinda sounds like maybe your mechanic knows what he's doing, maybe. You, not so much.

Interested to know how he got around the EWS issue when changing out an ECU, they aren't plug and play.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 01-13-2013, 08:01 AM

Idk ill ask him
Old 01-14-2013, 11:34 AM

The BMW is finished, i should be picking it up later today or tomorrow, he said im getting a check engine light due to my high flow air intake though, i'll put the factory box back on and see what happens, if it doesnt go away he said he will fix it. pictures to come...
Old 01-14-2013, 11:37 AM

Interested to see how much this is going to cost.
Tuning Tech IAT Kit
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace

2006 X3 3.0i M-Sport | Silver Grey | Terracotta | AT | Navigation | Premium Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | AFE |
Old 01-14-2013, 05:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
Kinda sounds like maybe your mechanic knows what he's doing, maybe. You, not so much.

Interested to know how he got around the EWS issue when changing out an ECU, they aren't plug and play.
I doubt the mechanic knows what he is doing either. He took the time to keep the wiring harness with the chassis. I highly doubt he works on European cars frequently.

Sold - 2003 325i Sedan Japanrot 5 Speed 8k Xenon Headlamps Build Date 11/02
Old 01-14-2013, 07:14 PM
Bimmer Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 325i and X3
Quote:
The BMW is finished, i should be picking it up later today or tomorrow, he said im getting a check engine light due to my high flow air intake though, i'll put the factory box back on and see what happens, if it doesnt go away he said he will fix it. pictures to come...
You need to have someone else scan your codes. I've never heard of an engine throwing a cel for getting too much air. Air is a good thing.

Member No. 470379
Old 01-15-2013, 11:37 AM

I got my check engine light when I first put my signature motoring cold air intake on but we will see
Old 01-16-2013, 03:12 PM

I picked it up today, 2600 bucks total plus new gaskets which was cheap. Engine looks and runs great and the power difference WOW! It will run now, before I thought I was fast but now it's just the perfect amount. It glides up to 75 alot easier and pulls definitely alot harder! I think it was worth it. Ill post pictures after I get home from church
Old 01-16-2013, 06:47 PM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Great story. I wish you good luck. Yes, the 330i is a much much better performer. It is so good, I am keeping my original 01 330i 5spd SP, 147K miles, until it dies.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 01-17-2013 at 06:35 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i View Post
Great story. I wish you good luck. Yes, the 330i is a much much better performer. It is so good, I am keeping my original 01 330i 5spd SP, 147K miles, until it dies.
Thanks, I'm glad it turned out good in the end, I was getting a little eerie with a few saying it won't work cuz of this and this, he didnt have to swap anything extra to make the engine run, all of my accessories were used and he just re-mapped the ECU. I asked about injectors and he said the ones from my 2.5 were used.
I'm happy with it
Old 01-17-2013, 01:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:

I imagine he reflashed the ECU rather than replacing it. 325 and 330 both use the MS43 ECU. Installing the 330 software would be trivial and wouldn't require a new EWS. Though if he's using 325 injectors, he's almost definitely running lean. I wouldn't trust that setup WOT.

OP: You're 95% of the way there. Just install the proper injectors and intake. And ensure you actually do have the 330 software. Then it will run perfectly with no codes. Sounds like your ECU is complaining about running lean.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 01-17-2013 at 01:07 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
I imagine he reflashed the ECU rather than replacing it. 325 and 330 both use the MS43 ECU. Installing the 330 software would be trivial and wouldn't require a new EWS. Though if he's using 325 injectors, he's almost definitely running lean. I wouldn't trust that setup WOT.

OP: You're 95% of the way there. Just install the proper injectors and intake. And ensure you actually do have the 330 software. Then it will run perfectly with no codes. Sounds like your ECU is complaining about running lean.
Can I install the intake and injectors myself? I've done that stuff b4 but only on jeeps. Where could I take it to ensure the 330 software is on it?
Old 01-17-2013, 11:16 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post

Just going by what the OP said a few posts up......

Quote:
And he's already installed the new injectors and ECU

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 01-17-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Just going by what the OP said a few posts up......
i thought he had installed a new ecu and injectors cuz thats what he had told me, when i got there he said he re flashed the ecu and re-used my injectors.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:39 AM

Well that engine threw a rod out the side of the block only 500 miles into driving it, their installing another one free......I was driving 50 in 5:30 traffic in Houston and it blew up....200 dollar tow truck...
Old 02-01-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Well that engine threw a rod out the side of the block only 500 miles into driving it, their installing another one free......I was driving 50 in 5:30 traffic in Houston and it blew up....200 dollar tow truck...
Only 79k on the motor and it threw a rod bearing? Did you get compression numbers or a leak down test on the motor before purchase?
Tuning Tech IAT Kit
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace

Old 02-01-2013, 11:13 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdauria View Post
Only 79k on the motor and it threw a rod bearing?
Agreed. These engines don't just grenade for no reason. Most last well over 300k miles if properly cared for. Did you check the oil when you got the car back? Maybe they forgot to fill it up?

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 02-06-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdauria View Post
Only 79k on the motor and it threw a rod bearing? Did you get compression numbers or a leak down test on the motor before purchase?
nope, but their replacing it for free.

Quote:
Agreed. These engines don't just grenade for no reason. Most last well over 300k miles if properly cared for. Did you check the oil when you got the car back? Maybe they forgot to fill it up?
ya it was full of oil, it just had a catastrophic failure from me babying it in 5 o clock traffic in houston...the whole underside is covered in oil, all i know is their going to clean it or pay to have it cleaned cuz it was nasty...