Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-31-2013, 03:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 E46 318ci
What wheels?!

Am currently thinking of getting some new wheels for my e46.

At the moment I have the new style M3 wheels but the style of the Euro / VAG style is very appealing to me. So am leaning towards getting some BBS wheels but am unsure of which to get, there are so many styles of wheels out there.

What do you lot have and what do you recommend for my car and the euro / vag / dub styling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1359675602.972378.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	360021  
Ads by Google
Old 01-31-2013, 05:46 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky_N View Post
Am currently thinking of getting some new wheels for my e46.

At the moment I have the new style M3 wheels but the style of the Euro / VAG style is very appealing to me. So am leaning towards getting some BBS wheels but am unsure of which to get, there are so many styles of wheels out there.

What do you lot have and what do you recommend for my car and the euro / vag / dub styling.
The wheels you have now look great! I would not change them. If I understand you correctly, you want to change them for Volkswagen type wheels? Their wheels are butt ugly IMHO. Go to tire rack.com and input your car info, then select wheels, and you can see what different wheels look like on your car. If money is burning a hole in your pocket, I suggest better sway bars, and a driving course. This is a much better investment IMO. Read the wiki above for additional, very useful information about our cars.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:35 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:

Ahhhh....the nuances of the King`s English....on *this* side of the pond the above phrase would be a reference to an Englishwoman`s private parts....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 01-31-2013, 09:04 PM

Mein Auto: 323Ci E46
Quote:
At the moment the Euro VAG very appealing to me.
Its appealing to all of us man. Just be careful. Sometimes they tend to get a little more expensive...
Old 01-31-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherr117 View Post
Its appealing to all of us man. Just be careful. Sometimes they tend to get a little more expensive...
Yeh I have noticed that the wheels are a little expensive. For a nice set of wheels without any tires am looking at 400 - 800 then it would be around 200 - 300 for just tires. I know it's sounding alot of money but my wheels have seen better days after owning them since I have had the car and I would like to change the look of my car. I was thinking of selling it and getting a VW Golf MK5 but after being in one, they are too bland of a car for the money I would end up paying for one. Just little things missing like leather seats, cruise control, arm rests etc.
This is why am looking at giving my BMW a fresher look instead.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJBimmer View Post
The wheels you have now look great! I would not change them. If I understand you correctly, you want to change them for Volkswagen type wheels? Their wheels are butt ugly IMHO. Go to tire rack.com and input your car info, then select wheels, and you can see what different wheels look like on your car. If money is burning a hole in your pocket, I suggest better sway bars, and a driving course. This is a much better investment IMO. Read the wiki above for additional, very useful information about our cars.
Not so much VW wheels, but on the lines of some BBS alloys? Erm maybe the CSL style bmw ones the M3 comes with? I don't want to go adding adapters and spacers and camber plates to make a set of wheels fit and then find out that the tires are going to only last me a few months haha. As my brother has found out the hard way on his VW.

Silly boy
Old 02-01-2013, 08:36 AM
Living Life At The Beach

Quote:
Not so much VW wheels, but on the lines of some BBS alloys? Erm maybe the CSL style bmw ones the M3 comes with? I don't want to go adding adapters and spacers and camber plates to make a set of wheels fit and then find out that the tires are going to only last me a few months haha. As my brother has found out the hard way on his VW.

Silly boy
If your wheels need freshening, get them refurbished for much less than buying new ones. BBS wheels are great, and are usually lighter and will reduce unsprung weight. This is always a good thing, but you will pay a lot for a little gain. Read my first post again. Which would you rather have, looks or performance? JMHO
Old 02-01-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJBimmer View Post
If your wheels need freshening, get them refurbished for much less than buying new ones. BBS wheels are great, and are usually lighter and will reduce unsprung weight. This is always a good thing, but you will pay a lot for a little gain. Read my first post again. Which would you rather have, looks or performance? JMHO
Yeah I understand with what you mean about going for performance mote, but if am going to be honest, I don't thrash the car, I hardly ever go over 70mph in it. I have lowwered it but that was simply to get rid of that slight rocking motion of the car when cornering, I don't really push my cars around corners and stuff, so making it look a little better would be a good option for me if am totally honest. But I can 100% see where you are coming from and why you would choose performance instead of looks. I would get my wheels refurbished, quite cheap too with my younger brother being a bodywork and spray painter as a full time job, I just think I want a little change. Stand out from the crowd with it a little bit. Well I say that, it's following the crowd for se ways as in the euro scene, but then standing out a little bit as I don't see many bmw e46 around this area that do look different.

If all that makes sense haha
Old 02-01-2013, 12:31 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Quote:
Yeah I understand with what you mean about going for performance mote, but if am going to be honest, I don't thrash the car, I hardly ever go over 70mph in it. I have lowwered it but that was simply to get rid of that slight rocking motion of the car when cornering, I don't really push my cars around corners and stuff, so making it look a little better would be a good option for me if am totally honest. But I can 100% see where you are coming from and why you would choose performance instead of looks. I would get my wheels refurbished, quite cheap too with my younger brother being a bodywork and spray painter as a full time job, I just think I want a little change. Stand out from the crowd with it a little bit. Well I say that, it's following the crowd for se ways as in the euro scene, but then standing out a little bit as I don't see many bmw e46 around this area that do look different.

If all that makes sense haha
I understand completely! Around here, the police are attracted to just stock BMW's. If you have flashy wheels & mods they will follow you for a while to see if they can extract money. Remember the old Japanese saying: "The nail that sticks up, gets hammered!" Good luck!
Old 02-01-2013, 12:34 PM

Haha. Yeah I suppose man. Am just in 2 minds of what wheels to get now. The more I look about the more idea of wheels I get. Am thinking these to be honest
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1359750854.071526.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	360147  
Old 02-01-2013, 03:52 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Quote:
Haha. Yeah I suppose man. Am just in 2 minds of what wheels to get now. The more I look about the more idea of wheels I get. Am thinking these to be honest
Yeah, but cleaning them is going to be a PITA. Think spokes, preferably 5. I have the BMW style 119's and love them.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:51 AM

Can you upload a picture of them on the car please?
I was thinking they gonna be a pain to keep clean, but with some decent wheel sealant and regularly applying it, should help me with keeping them looking squeaky clean.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:32 AM

Mein Auto: BMW e46 1,9l M43
Wanted pictures of BMW style 119s on car?
Maybe i can help out bit about that...

Old 02-02-2013, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgr122 View Post
Wanted pictures of BMW style 119s on car?
Maybe i can help out bit about that...

Thanks man! I like it, it looks smooth and subtle looking. The silver one looks really well I think. Wonder if I can get them orange reflectors on the front bumper over here in the UK?! Are they DayTime Driving Lights?
Old 02-02-2013, 08:50 AM
Living Life At The Beach

Quote:
Can you upload a picture of them on the car please?
I was thinking they gonna be a pain to keep clean, but with some decent wheel sealant and regularly applying it, should help me with keeping them looking squeaky clean.
Here is a pic when I first bought it.

Name:	BMW 325 CIC Interior.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	360272