Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-01-2013, 02:08 AM

Mein Auto: 525i
? re: drilling hole rear bumper for sensors

My rear bumper was repainted and after 5 days I am ready to retrofit my car for parking sensors. I need to finish the job and get my car on the road asap.

Any tips regarding drilling the holes? I don't find anything about a newly painted bumper on the web.
Should I be worried about the paint chipping or paint fracturing? How would I prevent that? My thought would be like drilling tile, and start with a tiny bit, and cover the area to be drilled with masking tape or will that gum up the bit? Shoud I even care? Will it go so quickly being plastic or fiberglass that this will not be an issue?

Any tips for drilling the bumper? Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2013, 02:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1999 540i
I worked at a custom shop. I remember watching the body man drilling holes to put some chrome on an impala. He put masking tape on it and when he peeled it off it came off very clean. It should eat through it pretty fast. But take your time drilling it. Let the bit do the drilling. As for a newly painted bumper, we would always recommend waiting 2 weeks before color sand and buffing. The paint itself doesn't completely cure for 30 days. Drilling it before then im not too sure about but I think you should be alright.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 540iT
Yeah, your thinking right.

->Tape off the areas where you a drilling
->Center drill the holes first

You should be alright

ColdWeather+Summer+Sport--20/30 Ceramic Tint--Euro Armrest--JL 13tw5-3 Subwoofer--LED AEs
Old 02-01-2013, 02:25 PM

Mein Auto: 525i
Thanks. I could have the bumper put back on and wait two weeks. I want to do this right. The kit instructions are rather inadequate. They show drilling while the bumper is on the car. These sensors are inserted from outside in and then the wires are snaked through. I bookmarked several other's experiences hoping that together if I run into anything it will be something someone else already has figured out. I have learned that the next time someone taps my bumper I will not be so nice.