Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645ci
Exclamation 2005 645ci Transmision Malfuncion 98K

Any tips or advise would be really helpful! I was driving the other day I switched to SMG mode and after shifting while out of a turn I go the dreaded transmission malfunction I happened once before while in SMG mode in heavy traffic I got same message so I shut off the car and tuned it back on and it went away. This time no such luck and it's stuck on safe mode... I went to my local BMW dealer and they told me I need to replace the Mechtronic unit wich cost $3100 plus labor $877= $4232. I ran the codes myself and this is what I got..

4E21 Electronic pressure control valve 2

6142 ECO valve in SMG

5F2F Transmission: Interface

9408 Eco Converter

I refuse to believe that some of this components cannot be fixed, anyone have any suggestions or do I really have to replace the Mechtronic unit????? HELP!!!!!!
Advertisement
Old 12-14-2012, 05:06 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
SGM 6142 error

adriankiglies - what did you end up doing to fix this problem? I've had this happen twice. Took car in to dealership today, fluid was low so they topped that. Got on highway, accelerated to pass, happened again.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645ci
Had to rebuild the trans

Well turned out to be a lot more trouble than i thought... Found a trans place through a friend and the guy said he would be able to fix the two solenoids that were bad, they charged me $1400. Two weeks later it was fixed right. Wrong! After one day the cog light for the trans malfunction went back on... Took it. Back in and waited 2 more weeks at. The ends of which the guy tells me he cant do anything f or it and that i should rebuild it. Took it to someone else and charged back my credit card. This guy did it right though he charged me $2500 to rebuild it with a year warranty. 2 weeks later it was done Have not had any problems 15k later. I t was still cheaper than the dealer by 2k though it took a lot longer that expected.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 650i
Wow sorry to hear that. I got a trans malfunction message on mine, took it in but as soon as I turned it off and the guy at BMW turned it back on, the message went away. I drove it around with 2 different guys that said it seemed cool but I could tell there was something not normal. A couple weeks rolled by and I was stopping but didn't get to a complete stop then gave it gas when I got a loud knock. About a week later the same thing when I was going up an incline so I decided to take it back in. It was determined that the trans was bad but I bought a warranty. Even though I bought the car in Oct 2012 and this was a couple weeks ago when I took it in, they hadn't filed my warranty. It became a corporate matter so my car was just sitting at BMW for a week with nothing done. I got a call from the service manager telling me that usually there's a waiting period of 30 days after the warranty was filed before they can do anything but he would see what they can do. A few days later, he called me back saying the warranty company was going to only pay half and I was responsible for the other half at the tune of $2500! He again told me he would call me back to see what he could do so the next day he called and said BMW was going to take care of the other half and I need to pay is the $500 deductible. My car has been at BMW for 2 weeks mostly just sitting. Earlier this week I was told it would only take a couple days to actually fix the trans and it should be ready. I called yesterday, they said it would be done this morning so I called back at lunch and now they're telling me the trans is fixed but they're having problems resetting the computer so it should be done Monday. On top of that, I have some oil leak from a vacuum something that they said it'll cost $950, I need brakes soon and they quoted me $1,000 for just the rear brakes. I just told them to fix the trans and I'm going to have the rest done somewhere else. I got the car in Oct with 78K and it now has 90K; I commute to work so that's why so many miles (2006-650i). What an ordeal - wow.