Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-01-2013, 04:29 PM

Mein Auto: 95 BMW touring
E39 serpentine belt installation

remove the belt to change the alternator and did not take note on how the belt was installed. anybody know of a website that shows how to install serpentine belt on a E39 2000 528it or for that matter diagram? normally if you look under the hood you would find the belt diagram but in this case none to be found. any help is appreciated. thanks in advance
Ads by Google
Old 02-01-2013, 05:44 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by beam95530i View Post
remove the belt to change the alternator and did not take note on how the belt was installed. anybody know of a website that shows how to install serpentine belt on a E39 2000 528it or for that matter diagram? normally if you look under the hood you would find the belt diagram but in this case none to be found. any help is appreciated. thanks in advance
Just look up almost any DIY on the serpentine belt, and the diagram will be there, in addition to being in the Bentleys.
- Removal instructions for the alternator & drive belt system of a 2002 525i
- Removal instructions for the fan shroud of a 2002 525i
- Alternator and Belt Drive DIY (1) (2)
etc.

Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 02-01-2013, 06:40 PM

lots of informative material, i'll give it a go and let you know how things went. thanks again
Old 02-02-2013, 08:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 528i
You don't need to remove the belt to replace the alternator. Just slacken and remove the idler. I know, too late for that now.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:42 PM

quiet alright, beside, don,t quiet know when the belt was changed last. the belt look o.k. but since i'm going to replace the alternator, well as well change that to. bit of advice though for all you grease monkey out there. always take note of the belt diagram before you remove the belt. lesson on my part. just waiting for another part and i can wrap it up. thanks for the feed back.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:37 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 528i
1997 528i-Noise under car when I turn steering wheel

A few days ago, I noticed a noise that starts when I turn the steering wheel after turning the ignition on in the morning. The car makes a kind of sound like something is rubbing against an object under the car. (I have a spoiler that has been damaged slightly because I've parked too close to a curve on occasion. Although from what I can tell that may not be the problem.
I also wonder if might be the steering sysem itself. Do I need to have the fluids checked?
the car has been making this noise every day since.

I had a service 3,000 miles ago. The car has 147,000 miles on it. Has someone dealt with this issue before? Thanks.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:53 PM

in other words noise is not present when not turning? what about belt, normally you can tell where that is coming from. check the belts condition if crack or frayed, change it. sometimes some people spray belt dressing and that seems to work. or worse with the noise you mention and rubbing, hopefully your water pump is not going out. maybe check for leak in that area or on the ground where your vehicle is park. put cardboard under neat the vehicle when it's park and see if their is any noticeable water leak. or could be your power steering unit could be going out. listen around in that area and listen to any grinding sound. that could be what you are hearing when you mentioned like something is rubbing. i mentioned different scenario for you to check out. its hard to pinpoint till you check out the area i mentioned. i hope i help a little bit. good luck and let me know how things went.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:35 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 528i
Trunk won't lock on my 1997, 528i.

The automatic trunk opener doesn't work so I open it manually with the key. Today, after I opened the truunk and closed it-it wouldn't lock after I turned the alarm system on. Has anyone had this problem? I plan to set an appmnt with the mechanic w/i 48hrs to address this unless the issue "takes care of it self". Thanks