Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: 128i
Will BMW introduce a 3 series convertible xdrive in 2013??

Hello to all - I am new to Bimmerfest and having no luck in finding out the answer to my question. Currently own a 2011 128i convertible. LOVE, but live on the east coast. My family calls it "the sled." Keep in garaged basically. Trading in this summer, absolutely want another convertible but a bit bigger and XDRIVE!! Heard rumors this is coming out in July. Is this true?? Thank you.
Advertisement
Old 01-31-2013, 01:19 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim495 View Post
Hello to all - I am new to Bimmerfest and having no luck in finding out the answer to my question. Currently own a 2011 128i convertible. LOVE, but live on the east coast. My family calls it "the sled." Keep in garaged basically. Trading in this summer, absolutely want another convertible but a bit bigger and XDRIVE!! Heard rumors this is coming out in July. Is this true?? Thank you.
You may be underestimating your car`s capabilities. Is it stick or auto ? A RWD BMW has almost perfect 50/50 weight distribution, and with proper *dedicated* winter tires, it will take you just about anywhere a sane person would attempt to go. A stick enhances the level of control.
With freshly-fallen, unplowed snow, it`s usually ground clearance (or LACK of same) that limits you. Once your ground clearance is exceeded, the car bellies up on the snow like a toboggan, and it really doesn`t matter HOW many wheels are driven, you`re toast....

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 01-31-2013, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Welcome to Bimmerfest! The next generation 3 series convertible will be called a 4 series convertible F33 and won't be out until the end of the year 2013. You can get a sense of what it will look like from the 4 series concept coupe that was just released at the Detroit Auto Show -

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ghlight=series

I agree with FastBob. Get yourself a good set of winter tires and you'd be surprised how well a RWD BMW handles in the snow. I know I was.

Tim
Old 01-31-2013, 02:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim495 View Post
My GF has dedicated snow tires on her E93. But she would love to have an AWD convertible so here's hoping the rumors you heard are valid.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:28 PM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post

I agree with FastBob. Get yourself a good set of winter tires and you'd be surprised how well a RWD BMW handles in the snow. I know I was.

Tim
+1

My E93 on snow tires in the harsh New Hampshire winters handled better than my AWD on all-seasons. And the jump in traction for having snow tires on AWD versus RWD is less than 10% based on my experience having the same snow tires on my RWD E93 and XDrive E90.

And since she is in Connecticut and won't deal with very harsh winters, sticking with RWD on dedicated snow tires is more than enough protection.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 02-01-2013, 08:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 11-335i e93;14 Hybrid 3
e93 and snow tires = +++

I have an e93, and put winter tires on it in Wash DC area. I agree with the above posters that it performs well in the snow. I posted this a while back after a bad storm in DC.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:58 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
I have an E93 with All Seasons and don't take it out in the snow. I also have an all wheel drive 7 Series with All Seasons and don't take that one out on the snow either. So far this winter in NYC (and last winter too) this has not been an issue because we haven't had any snow.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians