Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 01-28-2013, 03:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A car
Two cool programs for windows....

I bought a windows ultrabook yesterday - and so begins the tedious work of installing all my tools - or so I thought... then I found this REALLY neat site that was recommended by a colleague:

http://www.ninite.com

It allows you to check your commonly used application from a list (if they are on the site) - download a TINY installer - and run it to batch install the application in a single installer... best of all - you can use it to run UPDATES of your installed applications... so you can make multiple installers - keep them handy and run them to update Java, flash etc - without having to run the application update services - so after I've installed all these programs, I can delete the startup items that each puts in place to check if they are up to date... woohooo!! NICE!!

Next... through this site - I found another MUST-HAVE for windows 8 - Classic Start - a simple startmenu for Windows 8 - yes, I know there are a ton of these but I was looking for a quick/easy one - and this one being in ninite.com made it the one I choose to have on my machine.

Anyway - thought I'd share... enjoy...

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Ads by Google
Old 01-29-2013, 06:29 AM

Mein Auto: Smart Passion, F-250 4x4
Shopping for a new laptop on Friday for dev work - and am cringing at the idea of W8. Planning on installing XP or Vista as soon as I get it home, lol.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geebeemer View Post
Shopping for a new laptop on Friday for dev work - and am cringing at the idea of W8. Planning on installing XP or Vista as soon as I get it home, lol.
you know - I was as well (and I have an MSDN account so it was no hassle - I even had the dvd and a usb external ready to go) - that was until I found Classic Shell - now I can leave windows 8 in place... it really is ok with classic shell installed.

I have my windows metro interface or windows 7-like setup - it adds a proper start menu back to window 8 - and it almost doesn't differ from this windows 7 machine I'm on now... I got a samsung ultrabook with touch screen, 4Gb of RAM (I'm upping that to 8Gb) - 500Gb hdd) for $849 from bestbuy - I actually went in to look a the discounted macbook airs and I was a little forgetful and went to the wrong bestbuy - one that didn't have the macbooks... it was drive back 28 miles to the *right* bestbuy - or eval what was there... the samsung fit the bill and I'm very happy with it now that I have the classic shell program installed... before, I was fighting it and getting very frustrated.... now, frustration factor is no more than I had with win-7.

I was going to upgrade to 8-pro - but I actually don't think I'll need hyper-v on this laptop... and I can't think of another reason why 8-pro might be better for this machine than the standard 8 that came with it - I have RDP client on here... that's about all I need...

My windows key does my start menu - if I shift-windows-key - it flips between metro and windows desktop - I like it this way now. I can use it to demo software installation on windows 8 to my wife and staff.... which makes this a valid tool for training now!

Old 01-29-2013, 07:13 AM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
Don't you mean XP or 7? I see no reason to XP on a new machine unless you've got old software you need that won't run on 7 and no upgrade is available for that software (which is why an old PC is hooked up to my scanner). However, if it runs on Vista, it generally runs on 7.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 01-29-2013, 09:33 AM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
Don't you mean XP or 7? I see no reason to XP on a new machine unless you've got old software you need that won't run on 7 and no upgrade is available for that software (which is why an old PC is hooked up to my scanner). However, if it runs on Vista, it generally runs on 7.
And usually better than it did on Vista!

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 02-01-2013, 11:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 528 xi
Ninite is ****ing awesome.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
I've run Vista for years, never a problem.

7 isn't out of the possibilities, but the work I'll be doing is out of country, so don't want to have compatibility issues.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:55 AM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
I've run Vista for years, never a problem.

7 isn't out of the possibilities, but the work I'll be doing is out of country, so don't want to have compatibility issues.
I'm not saying Vista isn't functional - millions of people still use it. Win7 is just better. Compatibility compared to Vista shouldn't be an issue because Windows 7 itself thinks its really Windows 6.1 (with Vista being 6.0).
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 02-02-2013, 06:01 AM

yep - I'm not saying there aren't differences between vista and 7 - but I 've yet to hear of issues with software compatibility between the two. They are just too similar.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:
I'm not saying Vista isn't functional - millions of people still use it. Win7 is just better. Compatibility compared to Vista shouldn't be an issue because Windows 7 itself thinks its really Windows 6.1 (with Vista being 6.0).
Got ahead of myself earlier, it's XP or W7 for the work laptop.

Likely going to be using a lot of MS DSNs in a predominately XP/2k2 environment. Where I've run into issues is with W7's 64-bit ODBC data sources tool, when in a mixed Office environment. Have to cmd the 32-bit tool to create DSNs for these retro platforms - meaning at-station setup, due to older Office apps.

Running XP puts me on their level - and the few stations with W7 can be set up as above.

Side gig - building an Office SQL app/reports overlay on Oracle data farms. Panama.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:03 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by B00TS View Post
Ninite is ****ing awesome.

ps. dont ever go Vista !!!