Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-02-2013, 04:57 AM

Send a message via MSN to bmwmanz2 Send a message via Yahoo to bmwmanz2
Mein Auto: E39 528i
OEM dealer coolant

Anyone have any idea what is different about this besides the color? I am wondering if it is phosphate free or has some other kind of additives to prevent corrosion/cavitation or premature corrosion of the hoses. I was looking for the msds sheet for it or even the chemicals listed, but no luck. I was wondering if it was the standard ethylene glycol base etc. any help or redirection would be I help. Thanks guys.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 525i sport, premium
My jug of it doesn't say anything about phosphate free. Ethylene glycol based.
I'm interested in seeing what people have to say as well. I personally notice that BMW coolant leaves more of a residue than traditional green stuff If spilt. Honda coolant did it too, they both smell different to me as well. All useless information ha
Old 02-02-2013, 05:41 AM

At least you were of some help and company . I have been using the Green colored antifreeze found at most parts stores and haven't had any problems. I just want to know if the dealer coolant is best for my engine or if using parts store coolant is ok.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 525i sport, premium
On my Honda, it seemed like it was forbidden by other forum members to use auto store stuff. I have yet to
hear anyone swear by it here. They are both ethylene glycol based.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:57 AM

That is what I heard too! That is why I was asking and wondering if it has IAT, OAT, or HOAT on it also.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:38 AM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Other types of coolant are compatible. See this for details:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...38&postcount=1
Old 02-02-2013, 07:57 AM

Mein Auto: 03 540, 06 E53 4.8, Z32TT
Lets save the research time and effort. Buy 1 gallon of BMW concentrated antifreeze and a gallon of distilled water. Mixed them together to make 2 gallons of read-to-use antifreeze. Cost about $26, so $13/gallon. Same price as other pre-mix antifreeze from auto part stores. Why not use the legitimate one that is made for bimmers?

FS 2001 ///M5
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=791509
2000 Dinan S1 //M5 (my DD) 06 DINAN E53 4.8iS (wife's DD), 90 Straman Z32TT (my pride & joy ride)

Gone, but not forgotten: 01 E53 3.0i, 01 525i Sport, 03 DINAN 540i MSport and 91 Z32TwinTurbo
Old 02-02-2013, 08:07 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmanz2 View Post
Anyone have any idea what is different about this besides the color? I am wondering if it is phosphate free or has some other kind of additives to prevent corrosion/cavitation or premature corrosion of the hoses. I was looking for the msds sheet for it or even the chemicals listed, but no luck. I was wondering if it was the standard ethylene glycol base etc. any help or redirection would be I help. Thanks guys.
What coolant is best for you depends more on YOUR PERSONALITY than it does on your BMW (it's just a car, after all - and specifically, just an engine after all).
- Fundamental BMW decision-making religious camps (1) & motor oil Petrolism (1), coolant decisions (1), & gasoline dogma (1)

So, my recommendation is to start here, by understanding fluids used by most here:
- Glovebox printout: BMW E39 fluid summary printout for your glovebox (1)

Specifically for coolants:
- Coolant: Coolant, for engine, automatic transmission, power steering, and AC evaporator cooling (1) & bleeding (1) (2) (3) or refilling DIYs (1)

Here's a starter quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolant
E39 Engine coolant: phosphate free (for Europe's high-mineral-content water), amine & nitrite/nitrate free (for USA long-life requirements), & low-silicate or silicate free (for Japan requirements) 50:50 mixture of ethylene glycol & water (the Bentleys say distilled water (Bentley 020-11), aka de-mineralized or de-ionized water, some call it purified water, and the BMW AG TIS 12.11.2007 18:56 specifies water with a pH from 6.5 to 8.0, maximum total hardness of 3.6 mmol Ca++/liter, maximum chloride content 100 mg/liter, and maximum sulphate content 100mg/liter; interestingly the BMW TIS says "potable tap water usually fulfills these requirements". EPA reports show San Jose & NYC tap water easily fulfill these requirements. The BMW TIS expressly states additives are not helpful and are not recommended. BMW lists a score of recommended coolants in their BMW AG TIS 12.11.2007 18:55 which meet the BMW N 600 69.0 standard, some of which are BMW PN:81.22.9.407.454 1.5-liter; BMW PN:88.88.6.900.316 1 gallon; Castrol Anti-Freeze NF; BASF Glysantin Protect Plus G48, & Havoline AFC (BD04); but most of which are not easily found in the USA. Many Bimmerfesters recommend BMW coolant; however other Bimmerfesters recommend Prestone Extended Life 5/150, Valvoline Zerex G-05, and Service Pro Universal Formula. Others (e.g., chiefwej, aioros), have tested Evans NPG+ but be aware propanol entails a different maintenance philosophy than the aqueous fluids listed above and is not compatible with them. [Total Volume: 1997 I6=10.5 quarts (2.6 gallons), 1997 V8=12.0 quarts (3.0 gallons), 1998-2002 I6=11.1 quarts (2.8 gallons), 1998-2002 V8=12.7 quarts (3.2 gallons), 1997-2002 V8 with latent heater=13.5 quarts (3.4 gallons)]. Prestone says the only reason for phosphate free is the extremely high mineral content of water in Europe - and that in the USA, it's not needed. Replacement Interval: Every three years (Bentley page 020-9) or every four years (aforementioned BMW AG TIS) starting from date of manufacture (except for M-Power vehicles which have 3-year intervals). Note: Mixing BMW-recommended coolant brands is permissible; but mixing types is not permissible unless it's an emergency.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:10 AM

Bluebee, you are the man! Thanks for the links and quote. I will get to reading. As for initial thoughts, I want quality stuff, but if my green ethylene glycol stuff does the "same job," then I don't mind. I will look into this. Thanks again!
Old 02-02-2013, 08:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 528iT/5, S/C
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmvE39/E53/Z32 View Post
Lets save the research time and effort. Buy 1 gallon of BMW concentrated antifreeze and a gallon of distilled water. Mixed them together to make 2 gallons of read-to-use antifreeze. Cost about $26, so $13/gallon. Same price as other pre-mix antifreeze from auto part stores. Why not use the legitimate one that is made for bimmers?
+1. And you can't go wrong
Old 02-02-2013, 08:19 AM

I like your thinking . Why put a ford part on a BMW when you can use the quality BMW piece that will last and be designed for the particular car?
Old 02-02-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
I want quality stuff, but if my green ethylene glycol stuff does the "same job," then I don't mind. !
If it helps, this is what cn90 and I use ...

If you can sit for an hour, this is interesting (albeit a schill):
Old 02-02-2013, 08:20 AM

I will bookmark that for when I get off work blue. I use the same stuff fyi .
Old 02-02-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
I like your thinking . Why put a ford part on a BMW when you can use the quality BMW piece that will last and be designed for the particular car?
I'm not wanting an argument - but - antifreeze is antifreeze (within reason) so why would antifreeze for a Ford be any different than antifreeze for a bimmer?

Assuming similar engines and similar expected use, antifreeze for one engine would be the same as antifreeze for the next similar engine - no matter who makes that antifreeze.

Of course, any SPECIFIC antifreeze will have its own chemical makeup - and THAT is worth discussing - but - whether Ford makes it (or specifies it) versus whether BMW makes it (or specifies it) is, to me, absolutely meaningless as a comparison.

The only difference between Ford and BMW is the M A R K E T I N G.

If you fall sway to marketing, then, by all means, only buy the blue stuff. If you want chemistry, then first read all that is in the links I provided.

Take specific note that the water we analyzed from NY and from where I live (San Jose) easily meets BMW specifications - so you can save that distilled water for the battery (where it actually matters more).

Old 02-02-2013, 08:29 AM

I'm not sure I I misunderstood your text or visa versa, but I was agreeing with you. I sometime do not explain things very well and makes no sense to others. Glad for the clarity.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure I I misunderstood your text or visa versa, but I was agreeing with you. I sometime do not explain things very well and makes no sense to others. Glad for the clarity.
No problem. It looks like you're off to a good start - and - well - you at least have a couple of threads where the question was already asked and answered.

If, after reading those threads, you _still_ have questions, then it would likely be best to ask in those threads, since that's where we keep all the information together.

Do that (asking in those canonical threads), and the advantage is we can point the NEXT person to the answers you obtained.

It's how the forum works best!
Old 02-02-2013, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: 07 750i, 02 540i Sport
It seems to me that we can use any brand/type of antifreeze we want as nearly every modern coolant on the market is approved (by their manufacturer) for use in these engines, protects for 5yrs 150k miles and will outlast our radiators, expansion tanks, and water pumps that need replacement about every 100k miles.

Note: Bluebee, I can't thank you enough for all the fantastic links to prior posts covering so many areas. The amount of time, effort, and comprehensive information you've compiled and contributed to this site is impressive!

Last edited by Ltmax; 02-02-2013 at 09:18 AM.