Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 12:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by B00TS View Post
iOS does NOT mulittask. Only select programs that Apple allows multitasks.
You probably meant, every app that requires multitasking support has it. Lets not get out of hand. Its not like Pandora cant run in the background while I'm running Google maps and getting emails too.

But if you want to keep thinking that to make yourself feel better, be my guest.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 528 xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
You probably meant, every app that requires multitasking support has it. Lets not get out of hand. Its not like Pandora cant run in the background while I'm running Google maps and getting emails too.

But if you want to keep thinking that to make yourself feel better, be my guest.
Its not about making myself feel better it is about facts.

http://speirs.org/blog/2012/1/2/misc...titasking.html

Five classes of apps - audio, GPS, VOIP, Newsstand and accessory apps - and some built-in apps such as Mail may run indefinitely in the background until they complete their task.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:44 PM
Living a dream!

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
BlackBerry Protect backs up the device via cloud.
Blackberry protect does not work on BB10.

From this link

"For BlackBerry® 10 devices, BlackBerry® Link is used to back up data."

Quote:
So 10k decent apps isn't that more than Apple or Android had at their launches?
That's the problem, BB fans are treating this like BB never existed and this is a 1.0 product. If that's the case, it should be Blackberry 1.0. It is not, this is ver 10 of their OS and they are expected to hit the ground running. Don't count those Android apps either, everywhere I've read says that running Android apps is a huge fail, and of the 70,000 "native" apps, many were ported from the playbook and are equally poor.

Quote:
Yeah the camera is crap. Do most people's iPhones make it through the day? My work G3 battery is crap too.
All day, every day

There is no real innovation here... as one analyst put it:

"Blackberry needed wow, delivered "pretty good"
Old 02-01-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneArch View Post
Blackberry protect does not work on BB10.

From this link

"For BlackBerry® 10 devices, BlackBerry® Link is used to back up data."

That's the problem, BB fans are treating this like BB never existed and this is a 1.0 product. If that's the case, it should be Blackberry 1.0. It is not, this is ver 10 of their OS and they are expected to hit the ground running. Don't count those Android apps either, everywhere I've read says that running Android apps is a huge fail, and of the 70,000 "native" apps, many were ported from the playbook and are equally poor.

All day, every day

There is no real innovation here... as one analyst put it:

"Blackberry needed wow, delivered "pretty good"
Because it is brand new coding not one line of the OS on BB7 OS was used on BB10. It should be treated as new. BB is treating it as a brand new start. They admit it in their conference. They are treating it as brand new because it is brand new. It was going to be just QNX but they decided to use that name for tablets, I believe how the story goes.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripred View Post
Deleted.
I find it funny how I am being pointless. I've stated when thing are my opinions and when they are facts. You know what iOS is great for? My two year old son because he can just click away. I guess I find it dumb.

How am I being narrow-minded? I've dealt with 100s of devices(well it seems like 100s) and seen all the crap about a lot of them. One thing I've noticed is no matter what apple puts out people come out to defend it like crazy. I admit that BlackBerry was crap.

I applaud the apple marketing team, I really do. They can market features that have been used on other devices as brand new and people believe them. Its almost to the point where the new iphone could be shaped like a cone and people would buy it. They even tried to convince people they were holding the phone wrong LOL.

Again these are my opinions, but I'm sure 1000s of others will agree with me as well.

Last edited by MatWiz; 02-01-2013 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Offending quote deleted.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Quote:
So when they showed the keyboard functionality using two languages that was not good enough(in real time I might add)? Or do you mean the phone translates for you on native apps? Or that voice apps can speak two languages?

Just trying to clarify what you mean.
You are right on this one. They did mention that the new phone could run 2 or 3 languages at the same time if I am not mistaken. Previously it was a huge problem because if someone sent you a message in Thai or Mandarin (Chinese) one could not read them. On the iPhone or Google based smartphones communicating was much easier as one could receive the messages in any language and then use Google translate to translate and hear message along with message translation with audio.

As an example, I can speak Mandarin but not read or write it so when I receive a message on Line or Whatsapp I could see it then copy/paste it to Google Translate to see English translation and to hear audio translation.

For businessmen who travel this is important.
330 Coupe Sold
Old 02-01-2013, 10:19 PM

Mein Auto: 330i
BlackBerry 10

Goldman Sachs's Simona Jankowski reiterates a Buy rating on RIM shares, and a $19 price target, urging investors to "use the recent 'sell the news' pullback to add to positions."

We continue to see significant upside to estimates over the next three quarters, as BB10 devices drive upside to the Street's ASP and margin forecasts. With 110 carriers completing lab testing by February, 50 carriers offering integrated billing, and Verizon getting an exclusive for the white Z10, we continue to see strong carrier support for BB10. Consumer adoption will decide the ultimate outcome, but estimate revisions should be a positive catalyst in the meantime.

Jankowski does the math on what the U.K. retail debut of the Z10 today, and the February 5th Canadian debut:

Using Gartner data, we estimate that the UK and Canadian markets represented about 15% of BlackBerry's quarterly device shipments, or approximately 2mn units. Assuming that the company has 1 month of devices sales and captures 20% market share within the two regions (slightly above its max market share of 17% in 3QCY11), we estimate BlackBerry could sell roughly 1mn BB10 devices in its February quarter. This does not count the UAE, other regions, or potential inventory sell-in in the US market, which could provide further upside.

Jankowski thinks application support for the platform is "off to a good start:

BlackBerry delivered on its promise that its BlackBerry World apps store would have 70,000 apps. It also highlighted support from several marquee apps, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Foursquare, Skype, Amazon Kindle, Angry Birds, and others, as well as support for music and video. Over half of the 70k apps have native support.

Jankowski ticks off some of the novel features that caught her attention at yesterday's debut:

Consistent with BB10s browser superior performance on industry benchmarks – the Ringmark and HTML 5 tests – our preliminary tests show it to be much faster than leading competitive offerings. Additionally, while the company provided a full demo of the BB10 OS, we believe the details around Hub, Flow, Peek, and Balance were largely known. BlackBerry believes its Keyboard functionality will be a key differentiator, with the capability to 'flick' entire words to the screen with a single thumb. It can also recognize multiple languages within a single text or email.

In what we viewed as one of the most differentiating new features that had not yet been leaked, the company introduced BBM (BB Messenger) video call capability, which allows a user to share a camera and screen, sharing documents, screen shots, powerpoints, etc. during a video call. Additionally, newly announced BB Remember is an application that can save websites, photos, or other data and separate it into folders, providing a single source point for various projects, themes, or topics.

Also newly announced BB Story Maker allows a user to compile music, titles, credits, video, or photos into a sequence or slideshow and then share with other users. BlackBerry also demoed the Camera functionality, which includes user operated focus and touch-anywhere picture taking. It also incorporates Time Shift (the ability to adjust faces/objects within a photo immediately after it is taken) and Picture Editor (background formatting, cropping, etc). TimeShift was previously known, but is another key innovation that differentiates BB10 from others.

Jankowski has an $11 sum-of-the-parts, a 70% probability assigned to her "fundamental valuation of $17 and a 30% probability for her "bull case," and a 15% probability for a $29 take-out value.

Update: CIBC's Todd Coupland, who rates RIMM shares "Sector Outperformer," also had positive things to say following yesterday's event, where the company "put on glitz, glamour and yes a little bling [...] The bling of course is Alicia Keys, named Blackberry Creative Director, who plans to be in the office at least for a while."

"It was a "slick" show which is table steaks in the maturing and more competitive smart phone market."

Notes Coupland, "- In Canada 50% of pre-registration at the carriers are not currently BlackBerry users. This was a surprise and a data point that will be watched closely in other regions."

Coupland argues investors should at least hold the stock through March's fiscal Q4 report:

We remind investors of our core assumptions for an S-SO rating and positive EPS in F2014. Our view is that RIM is in a good position to successfully stabilize its base and benefit from upgrades and market growth that should push shipments higher Y/Y off a low base. The shares should be held or bought through the Q4 report.

"Couple of "tells" for you.
Apple stock doing NOTHING since launch yesterday.
Qualcomm stock – HUGE numbers – sold a lot of Snapdragon processors to BBRY for BB10 launch.
It's all good at the new BBRY. ENTER BB10"

"Here in Southern California, our market is huge and young people especially (18-35 yrs) are over the iPhone craze. Sorry to burst your bubble "i" lovers but it's true. BBRY will see success!"

"Apple and Android can't duplicate BB10 new features. Their OS potential is maxed out. BB10 technology potential is endless."

"I think most people are missing the point that BlackBerry isn't just about a smartphone anymore. The operating system running on the phone built from QNX is way ahead of IOS or Android. It is used for highly secured devices, in vehicles, and even in nuclear power plants. If they get through this, they have a long-term strategy for truly mobile computing."

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderd...-to-estimates/

Last edited by MCSL; 02-01-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:22 PM

UK BB10 Customers

“During my 9am call to phones4u this morning, the lady told me that she had 30 callers in the queue by about 9:15. By 9:30 when my upgrade was finalized, she told me that there were now 50 people in the queue! Seems like a strong demand first thing in the morning!”

“Went in to a Phones4U in London this morning at about 11:30. I asked about BB10 and the chap gave me a demo unit to try. I think it is great - genuinely different interface, brilliant keypad (the best virtual one I have ever used) and competitive pricing. My contract is up in June for my 9105, I will be getting either the Z10 or Q10 in its place!”

“Bought mine on EE today. £28.50/month over 24 months for 1000 texts and minutes and 1 gb of data. Then 50 for the phone. It is being delivered tomorrow! When I called in I was told a lot of people were ordering it. I then played around with the phone at the EE shop. The sales rep was very excited and I have to say that the phone felt and looked great. Compared it in the hand with iPhone and Samsung. Looking forward to it!”

“15 hours after picking up my BB Z10 and I cannot emphasize just how refreshing the whole user experience. You have heard buzz words like 'fluid', 'effortless' and 'sleek' but nothing describes the hands on experience of this device better. I have been holding out for BB10 for months and it has been very much worth the wait. The app selection is not that of apple or android yet but for an OS in its first carnation I think BlackBerry can be very proud of themselves. I personally don’t find this much of an issue as the browser is so fricking awesome I do everything online.”

“Well I've done it. Goodbye Windows phone, Hello BlackBerry z10. Great deal from carphone warehouse on o2. Unlimited calls and texts with 1GB of Internet for £26 per month. £99 down. So far so good.”

“I have ordered mine this morning from o2 and it will be here tomorrow but they only have black till the 15/2 and i couldnt wait any longer!!!!
Goodbye iPhone!!!”

“Got mine from Vodafone this afternoon. I've got to say that it's the best phone I've ever used. I don't think it will take long for my wife to abandon her Samsung S3 after playing with my BB Z10. There are so many cool little touches that I didn't expect. I'm eager to use it more to find hidden secrets to getting things done. Glad to have stuck my neck out and to have been patient enough to wait for the launch.”

http://crackberry.com/

Old 02-01-2013, 11:23 PM
Living a dream!

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSL View Post
"Couple of "tells" for you.
Apple stock doing NOTHING since launch yesterday.
Qualcomm stock – HUGE numbers – sold a lot of Snapdragon processors to BBRY for BB10 launch.
It's all good at the new BBRY. ENTER BB10"
And at the same time, RIM is down 25+% since the announcement

Quote:
"Apple and Android can't duplicate BB10 new features. Their OS potential is maxed out. BB10 technology potential is endless."
Maxed out? really? Who writes this nonsense?
Old 02-02-2013, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: Fiver
I admit I'm kind of entertained by this thread. It's like someone standing on the deck of the titanic as it's sinking and continuing to say it's unsinkable.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneArch View Post
And at the same time, RIM is down 25+% since the announcement

Maxed out? really? Who writes this nonsense?

Them crocodiles got some thick skin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Dreamer View Post
I admit I'm kind of entertained by this thread. It's like someone standing on the deck of the titanic as it's sinking and continuing to say it's unsinkable.

This is what people mean when they say DIE HARD FAN
330 Coupe Sold

Last edited by stylinexpat; 02-02-2013 at 04:09 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:38 AM

Mein Auto: Porsche
What I find hilarious is anyone thinking they know for certain (at this time) what will happen to Blackberry, i.e. that the company is "finished" or is "back". Given that I picked up my shares at $8.05, I hope it is the latter but it's too soon to know.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOAB View Post
What I find hilarious is anyone thinking they know for certain (at this time) what will happen to Blackberry, i.e. that the company is "finished" or is "back". Given that I picked up my shares at $8.05, I hope it is the latter but it's too soon to know.
$8.05 is a nice entry. At $18 I would have sold. Over double is good profit.
330 Coupe Sold
Old 02-02-2013, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: Fiver
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOAB View Post
Stock price is one thing. If the company is purchased, there will probably be more money to be made there, but they are going to have to come back with much more than they have to survive.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
You are right on this one. They did mention that the new phone could run 2 or 3 languages at the same time if I am not mistaken. Previously it was a huge problem because if someone sent you a message in Thai or Mandarin (Chinese) one could not read them. On the iPhone or Google based smartphones communicating was much easier as one could receive the messages in any language and then use Google translate to translate and hear message along with message translation with audio.

As an example, I can speak Mandarin but not read or write it so when I receive a message on Line or Whatsapp I could see it then copy/paste it to Google Translate to see English translation and to hear audio translation.

BB10 Languages

Old 02-03-2013, 10:48 PM

UK BB10 Customers

“Got mine from Carphone Warehouse in central Bristol today. Inserted my EE 4G chip and was set up in no time. Within an hour of using it, the decision was made to sell my Samsung Galaxy S3. It's like a kid's toy compared with the BB Z10. Outstanding.”

“Yep, picked mine up this morning from CPW too. Really very impressed so far, but then I knew I would be.
Bye bye Apple iPhone 5!”

“Wooo hooooooo.......got my BB Z10 today ........very impressed with everything so far.......getting used to the gestures. Loving the look of BBM, had to add a few friends with legacy OS devices so haven't yet tried out the video and screen sharing options , overall I am loving the screen (absolutely gorgeous) and the time shift. #BB10BELIEVE”

“Well so far I am very impressed, very fast and smooth. I have been using it solidly for the last four hours after charging it fully and it has about 70-75% battery left. First time I have used a touch screen keyboard since the iPhone 4 and I am blown away by how easy it is to type for a physical keyboard lover like me.”

“Freakin' awesome!!!!!!
Got mine this lunchtime from O2 and I'm blown away by how mature this is for a 1st gen OS. If this is V1 of the OS then I am so excited about the future for Blackberry.
I can't believe anyone - even iPhone using journos - are giving this anything other than 5 stars.
It is VERY quick, easy to use once you master the gestures, feature packed, nice to hold in the hand, great sound quality all round, and just a pleasure to use.
I feel sooooooo sorry for all you Americans when us Brits are having such fun. But trust me, it will be worth the wait.”

“This is my first Blackberry for years and so far I'm very impressed. Anybody want to buy a redundant HTC One X Plus?”

“Took me 20 seconds to figure out how to use it. I absolutely love the device and will be buying one as soon as I am able to. My 2 co-workers also tried it. The iPhone user actually figured it our fairly quickly and was quite impressed. The Android user (former BB) is sold and wants one now as well.”

“Went into PC world this evening to buy some stuff and they have a Phones4u shop in there. Saw that there was a big BB10 display and went over - ended up with a whole load of staff from PC world hanging around it drooling over the demo. It looked absolutely fab and they had a whole variety of iPhone 5/ Samsung S3 etc but seemed to love it.”

“Loving my Z10! Exceptionaly fast, loving the voice features and the flow experience.”

Old 02-03-2013, 10:56 PM

CNN on BB10

Piers Morgan @piersmorgan
I have the new #BlackBerry10 in my hands...and it's VERY cool.

Here are five reasons BlackBerry 10 may win over fans, new and old.

New productivity features
Large companies and government agencies have historically been BlackBerry's core clients. But in recent years more people have been bringing their own devices into the workplace, choosing to stick with fun, app-laden phones over devices that just offer security and IT-department approval.

For BlackBerry 10, the company smartly focused on features that maximize productivity and speed.

A new feature called Balance splits a BlackBerry phone into two separate devices, one for work and one for personal use. (Balance is only for customers connected to BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 at work.) The separate profiles cordon off sensitive work information so that IT departments can control the flow of data.

Personal apps, e-mails and photos are on the Personal side, so you can jump from one profile to the other. It's a way to manage both sides of your life without sacrificing privacy or security, and without dragging around two separate devices as some BlackBerry users have been doing.

Being productive requires switching between apps and tasks quickly and seamlessly. At the BlackBerry 10 launch event Wednesday morning, executives demonstrated something called BlackBerry Hub, which collects all a user's notifications in one spot. It can be accessed from anywhere on the phone with a swipe, and shows social media, calendar, BBM, e-mail and other updates (you can pick what shows up here to minimize noise).

You can have up to eight apps going at once, and the feature lets users quickly switch back and forth between messaging platforms without having to open or close apps or revisit the home screen.
Another popular tool, BlackBerry Messenger (BBM to its friends), got a new upgrade. The messaging app already allowed for free voice calls over Wi-Fi, but in BB10 it's adding a FaceTime-like video-chatting feature. Perhaps its coolest new trick is the ability to share your phone's screen with the person on the other end of the call (if they're also on a BlackBerry 10 device), so you can review work documents or enjoy photos together without having to e-mail or upload the files.

Big-name apps
A smartphone is only as good as its app-store selection. BlackBerry has been working hard, and spending money, to fill up its app store with over 70,000 apps for the launch of BlackBerry 10. However, many of those apps are old BlackBerry or Android apps that have been ported over to the new system, not designed specifically for its features. It's going to require quality, not just quantity, for people to leave behind the Apple App Store and Google Play store.

BlackBerry has managed to secure an impressive number of big-name apps out the gate. Skype, Kindle, WhatsApp, SAP and "Angry Birds" have committed to developing for BlackBerry 10, which means they're on the way soon, if not in the online store yet. Popular apps such as Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn already have BlackBerry 10 apps. But there are still many missing pieces, such as apps for Instagram, Hulu and Google products.

BlackBerry is clearly aware of the importance of robust app offerings. But app developers might still need to be convinced that the new platform will catch on and not be a waste of their time.

Typing is easy to learn
BlackBerry fans are good at resisting change. Its diehard users have stuck with the company even though there were more advanced phones running superior software and featuring stores stocked with many more apps. The biggest sticking point was the beloved physical keyboard that could be navigated with a lone speedy thumb.

Although BlackBerry announced two devices on Monday, it was the keyboard-free Z10 phone that dominated the event and is getting the larger marketing push. The company clearly wants to shift users to a touchscreen keyboard. To be successful, it will have to make learning how to type on the screen simple and enjoyable.

"Typing on a glass screen with one thumb, it's magic," said Heins.
In BlackBerry's future, keyboards may be an afterthought
BlackBerry says the touchscreen keyboard learns how you type, adapting over time to be more accurate and to automatically correct common mistakes. There's support for multiple languages, and you can switch between languages mid-message. While you are typing, it will auto-suggest what words it thinks you may be composing, and you can swipe up to toss one directly into your message.

Positive buzz
A strange thing has happened in the past couple of months. Consumers, investors and the press have been cautiously optimistic about the Canadian company's plans for a comeback. BlackBerry has gone from being mocked to being seen as an underdog people are rooting for. Rebranding is one part of that process, and on Monday CEO Thorsten Heins announced that the company is renaming itself BlackBerry, dropping the awkward Research In Motion (RIM) moniker.

BlackBerry hasn't had a major product release in 18 months, which is an eternity in the smartphone world and long enough for memories of the devices to slip people's minds. Hardcore fans may be ready to upgrade to BlackBerry 10, but to take on Apple and Google, BlackBerry needs to shed its stigma of being out of date.

When you want cool points, you hire a celebrity (see: Windows Phone 8 and Jessica Alba, Polaroid and Lady Gaga). BlackBerry trotted out Alicia Keys near the end of Wednesday's event and gave her the honorary title of Global Creative Director. It was a nice touch, but tech-savvy shoppers aren't easily fooled by celebrity endorsements. They need to see real people using the devices, and they need to test them out for themselves.

Global appeal
BlackBerry is rolling out its new Z10 phone gradually around the world, starting in the UK on Thursday. The phone launches in Canada on February 5, and in the United Arab Emirates on February 10. It won't be released in the U.S. until sometime in March.
The focus on making the phone an international product is smart, since the company has a strong hold in places like the UAE, Indonesia, England and parts of South America. Wednesday's press announcement referenced satellite launch events for BlackBerry fans in London, Dubai and South Africa, among other far-flung places.
BlackBerry hasn't just been wooing developers in the U.S., it's paying attention to the top mobile apps in other markets and getting those developers to create products for the BlackBerry 10 platform. To hold its own against Apple, Android and Microsoft, it will need them.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/30/tech/m...ry-10-features

Old 02-04-2013, 12:43 AM

More of this lol..

As I had mentioned before is that they had better get this Whatsapp and Line thing right because if they do not then they will have a problem.
http://www.arabianbusiness.com/black...ia-488213.html

330 Coupe Sold

Last edited by stylinexpat; 02-04-2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:29 PM

UK BB10 Customers

"I went into town today to try the Z10 and see how it stands against the iPhone 5. I must say I loved almost everything about the Z10, seriously considering ditching my iPhone 5 for the Z10 as soon as I find a buyer."

"Vodafone had sold out of all online ordered stock by 3pm yesterday 31st. My order could not be fulfilled until more stock was available this morning and my Z10 will be with me on Monday."

"The UK had several hundred thousand in stores on release. Most stores are sold out. Resupply not coming till Monday."

"Well I have had to actively hunt for one (UK). All local stores (Carphone Warehouse, Phones4U) sold out. Eventually had to order online, and will not get it for a few days."

"I have g-mail, yahoo-mail and sky mail set up on mine and they all work super-dooper, and I'm on EE as well."

"I am a very impressed Android-to-BB10 convert. I bought out of my contract after two minutes playing with one. What a bit of kit though. Mrs and daughter are well impressed with the flashy face time shift thingy. I like USB mass storage and the very snazzy clock app."

"I haven't fully charged it yet but i would say 80% has gotten me through from 10AM to 6PM with around 30% left now and that's with most of the day browsing the internet and playing games so it looks pretty good so far!"

"This phone is epic. Its keyboard really is as good as they made it out to me. I just guess the keys and 96% of the time I'm right. Once whatsapp and Skype get here it will be the perfect phone. I thought the transition from physical keyboard to on screen would be slow and painful but after an hour I was zipping around like crazy. I know it hurts for you guys but the wait will be worth it. Don't get another phone guys!!!!!!!!"

"I've hated touchscreen with a passion for years and was gunning for the Q10 for that reason. Having received the Z10 on launch day, all I can say is WOW. The keyboard is amazing. I actually type faster then ever before thanks to the awesome predictive text. You also have the swipe gesture that is great for typing one hand, but the way in which it starts to 'learn' how you type is very impressive. This is without a doubt, the best keyboard on any smartphone out there today."

"I find transitioning from BBOS to BB10 to be seamless and no problem at all, though I came from an OS 6 device. Just connected the phone, open BB Link, said the device was not supported and gave me a transfer button. Once that was clicked the process went on from there. There are demos on the BB10 site and I also found the user guide online."

"Two features I really liked were photo cropping and using the keyboard in landscape."

"You can screen capture by pressing the up and down volume key at the same time just like on the Playbook. BBM works on ANY normal data plan - BIS is not needed on BB10 for anything to work."

"I got an email from BlackBerry this morning saying BlackBerry Protect will transfer all my phone info using BlackBerry ID. You would not require BIS you just go to a standard smartphone plan."

"Got mine at the London launch event, now my first impressions are very influenced by the fact I had a dev alpha, so the UI and stuff isn't new to me, but this phone makes the dev alpha A seem slow, the keyboard is insanely fast and very accurate.
As for the hardware, I really like it although of course its way too soon for any battery life comparisons, plus I'm sure I'll kill the battery every few hours with the old `new phone syndrome` kicking in and playing with every feature as we all do with a new toy.
For me the nicest touch which I haven't seen anyone bring up, is if you are playing your music but in ANY other app, simply tap the volume key and it bring a on screen popup which allows you to skip tracks. Kinda like what you got if you tapped the play icon in the taskbar on the playbook, but no gestures and stuff needed.
If you enable Music Shortcuts in the System Volume settings, it allows skip tracks. Being able to skip tracks by holding down the volume key is one of the best features on BlackBerry's. I hate listening to music on my iPhone because you have to turn on your phone to skip tracks.
Overall though very impressed, sure there's little bits which could be enhanced, but I'm sure we could say that of any OS out there.
Just thought it was worth pointing out the `top album` on BB World? Alicia Keys - Girl on Fire.
All the UK models are LTE ready."

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-10-...ide-uk-edition

Last edited by MCSL; 02-04-2013 at 11:35 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:38 PM

UK BB10 Customers – Vodafone (Verizon partner)

“So far feels great to use. The transitions between screens are always exceptionally fluid. Email and messages all in one easy to get to hub. Truly stunning multitasking and a touchscreen keyboard that's an absolute joy to use. Best Blackberry ever.”

“I've just tried this in-store. It’s excellent and mutli-tasks so well, and even hooks up to my TV and also has streaming video and music store and very Hi-Res screen to watch the movies on. Genuinely a 4G phone. It has expandable memory, which is a really good feature. The Bluetooth capabilities are so much more than just headphones. The user interface is great, more like a laptop. It’s different in a very good way and will put some people into shock mode where it is so usable once they have got over how their last smartphone works.”

“I have used this device and was amazed at how I could add 2 gmail accounts, a yahoo account, hotmail account, facebook account, twitter and linked in accounts on this device with so much ease. On top of that I can manage all the calenders separate or integrate them! Genius!
On media side of things picture quality is really good, the video player is awesome...mkv, avi and mpeg files work without any issues...standard HDMI out means I can use same cable from my HTC.
The movie maker and picture editors are awesome too!
App support is excellent...skype and whatsapp will be added soon.”

“Just fall in love with my all new BB Z10. A great phone with lots of cool features. Easy to use, great design, brand new feature BB Hub, better security & lots more. 1.5 G Dual core processor gives an awesome performance.
Best smartphone for both your personal and Business purpose. Trust me this is the phone all BB Fans like me been waiting for! I do agree BB10 OS does not come with millions of apps. But it’s loaded with enough!”

“I was an avid iPhone user, and have every one of the iPhones starting with the 3G. Everything that I liked about the iPhone is offered on the BB10 and even better, quicker. The keyboard is fantastic (I am still getting use to it, but even from the start is far better than iPhone5).
The fact that I can remove the back and replace the battery and upgrade the memory is in FANTASTIC!
The HDMI connection is also a WOW.”

“Got my Z10 yesterday in store, took a while to learn the new OS but once I got the hang of it things became so much easier.
The peek and flow idea works really well and the touchscreen is a dream.
high powered makes everything so fast, internet browsing is already very quick, texting is very good. The new App World is a million times better.
Overall it’s an amazing phone.”

“I picked up my Z10 from the Vodafone store this morning and I am so pleased with it. I have owned the iPhone 4S and 5 and to be honest the Z10 is so much better. The feel of the phone in your hand is a lot nicer than the iPhone and it’s got a better display and faster processor. The only downside of then Z10 is there aren't as many apps as there are on other phones.
All in all it is a fantastic phone and BlackBerry is back!”

“This phone is incredible and definitely lives up the hype. As a user of both Apple and Samsung I can confidently say that it surpasses both in terms of quality and performance. Consider the switch!”

“BlackBerry phones in my opinion have always been brilliant business phones. What do you want one for? Emails and BBM. That will always be their unique selling point as quite frankly, they do this better than everyone else.
This phone is not a toy. It is not a social medium. It is not a piece of entertainment equipment. Hence those functions are not spectacular. They are just good enough. Eg, the camera; definitely not the best. On a business perspective, so what? Its not needed. But again, on a social perspective, we all like to take a few pictures every now and then. The camera IS good enough.
The OS is different. VERY different. Takes a bit of time to get used to but as with all new OS launches, it’s the same thing. You get it, learn your way around it, then it gets upgraded to use the same interface. Within an hour, you will get very comfortable.
This is a very good attempt for RIM to enter the smartphone market PROPERLY. If you're looking for apps and games, give it time but as I said, this in my opinion is back to what RIM do best; corporate style. Ignore the biased reviews that clearly talk about app functionality. You will not find a better phone,”

http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobi...-paym#/reviews

Old 02-04-2013, 11:41 PM

UK BB10 Customers

Quick Channel Check Time

First, you need to examine Ebay in the US. Phones are selling for $1700. I haven't seen this kind of off-market pricing since iPhone 1.

I took a walk down High Street Kensington in London today and walked into three stores:

Phones 4u:
The store has had numerous inquiries so far and are very surprised. One gentleman walked in with 12 BB 10 phones in a bag and looking to buy more (Black marketer.) Seriously, a black market for Blackberries? Give me a break.

EE:
(Everything Everywhere (TMobile and Orange UK))
This morning alone the store sold seven contracts and said this was a lot for them. There is a lot of walk-in interest too.

CarphoneWarehouse
This was the only vendor to sell the phone sim free, off plan. It is sold out of phones (most London CPWs are sold out, you can check inventory online). More interestingly, as of this morning, CarphoneWarehouse have stopped selling them sim free, off contract. Now this about-face, which is not even visible online as of 3 PM London time today (It still reads 'sim free available') should tell you that the largest phone retailer in the UK has been caught flat footed by the demand. (My experience is they accept the order and then email you back two hours later 'Sorry'. Try it for yourself.) This is only done when CPW feels it has so much leverage having handsets in store that it can force contracts out of users. This is basically a very aggressive move by CPW to leverage phones into contracts. CPW only does this when it has a hit, like an iPhone in the past. It's also clearly unplanned. The employee remarked that this will not change probably for another two weeks.

What does this mean to you?

Well, if a Blackberry with barely any ad support in the UK and no keyboard is flying off the shelf, you need to understand that the un-crossable bridge for Blackberry, selling new phones in the first world, has just been crossed, and it managed this with a keyboard-less phone. With the BBRY stock down from $18 to $13.25, this is a steal.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1150...ng-on-the-bb10

Old 02-05-2013, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSL View Post
UK BB10 Customers

Quick Channel Check Time

First, you need to examine Ebay in the US. Phones are selling for $1700. I haven't seen this kind of off-market pricing since iPhone 1.

I took a walk down High Street Kensington in London today and walked into three stores:

Phones 4u:
The store has had numerous inquiries so far and are very surprised. One gentleman walked in with 12 BB 10 phones in a bag and looking to buy more (Black marketer.) Seriously, a black market for Blackberries? Give me a break.

EE:
(Everything Everywhere (TMobile and Orange UK))
This morning alone the store sold seven contracts and said this was a lot for them. There is a lot of walk-in interest too.

CarphoneWarehouse
This was the only vendor to sell the phone sim free, off plan. It is sold out of phones (most London CPWs are sold out, you can check inventory online). More interestingly, as of this morning, CarphoneWarehouse have stopped selling them sim free, off contract. Now this about-face, which is not even visible online as of 3 PM London time today (It still reads 'sim free available') should tell you that the largest phone retailer in the UK has been caught flat footed by the demand. (My experience is they accept the order and then email you back two hours later 'Sorry'. Try it for yourself.) This is only done when CPW feels it has so much leverage having handsets in store that it can force contracts out of users. This is basically a very aggressive move by CPW to leverage phones into contracts. CPW only does this when it has a hit, like an iPhone in the past. It's also clearly unplanned. The employee remarked that this will not change probably for another two weeks.

What does this mean to you?

Well, if a Blackberry with barely any ad support in the UK and no keyboard is flying off the shelf, you need to understand that the un-crossable bridge for Blackberry, selling new phones in the first world, has just been crossed, and it managed this with a keyboard-less phone. With the BBRY stock down from $18 to $13.25, this is a steal.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1150...ng-on-the-bb10

It's the Randy Moss of phones..."it is the greatest phone EVER!"
Old 02-05-2013, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post

BB10 App

Want to learn a new language? Now is the time, download and start learning today! Audio lessons contain a set of comprehensive learning materials which come in several difficulty levels. Choose from 5 of the main world languages; English, Spanish, French, Italian, and Chinese. Apps can be downloaded from BlackBerry World.

LearnChinese has more than 400 self-contained audio lessons to pick from! Choose the lessons that suit your level and interests to build on your knowledge of Chinese and your growing confidence with the language. All audio lessons are easy to understand and contain useful phrases and dialogues. You can schedule your own time when you want your lessons to begin. Within each lesson, you may pause at any time and resume later from that time onwards. Anytime, 24/7, lessons are available for you to access immediately.

Lessons are short, effective, easy and fun, you can sit at home, in the office, or any other place to study Mandarin Chinese. Audio lessons contain a set of comprehensive Mandarin Chinese learning materials which come in several difficulty levels. The following difficulty levels are available: - Newbie - Elementary - Intermediate - Upper Intermediate – Advanced.

Instructions: - Download LearnChinese - Go to your "Downloads" folder in your BlackBerry® and select "LearnChinese" - Select a difficulty level (e.g. Newbie) - Select a lesson - Click the "PLAY" button to start downloading and playing the lesson. Get Started Today!

http://www.blackberryos.com/content/...berry-10-5059/

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/7026/

Old 02-05-2013, 11:45 PM

BlackBerry 10

Old 02-05-2013, 11:46 PM

BlackBerry 10

Closed Thread