Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:36 AM

Mein Auto: 550i GT
1 Year Issues To Date with 550i GT

So, after a year with this car, I can say that I love it and hate it. I love it because it is unique, has tons of power, drives in between the five series and 7, has tons of room in the back for the kids and plenty of storage space. It is very comfortable and well laid out. It is truly a luxurious cross over vehicle.

Here is what I hate. It drives hard, not as hard as the M5 I had but hard nonetheless. Lots of rattles, some fixed some not. The sun roof was loose from day one. Other stuff just keeps on shaking. I have tuned it out but for 80k why should I. It does not grip well with 19" tires especially around banked exit turns. If you hit a rut or hole you will go sideways. Five series tracks much better. Burns oil like crazy. Have topped it off three times already. When turning at low speeds something under the car is popping and car creaks when you up go a short incline and then immedaitely down. You cannot see over the front windshield to the ground when ramping up a parking garage which is disconcerting for a moment. The rear window is basically almost non-functional it is so small.

All in all I am going to enjoy it and move on unless they figure out a better mousetrap. The hatchback is not made for this kind of performance vehicle in my view. The aerodynamics are just not there and BMW needs to work on quality build for the price they are charging for this car. It does move fast though and is a very roomy for a five series......
Ads by Google
Old 06-19-2012, 06:50 AM
Travel Fever

Mein Auto: 535dx
After a year, here is a big problem I have - bad fuel injectors. BMW has changed 4 of 8 for me. There is still hesitation and vibration during start. The other 4 are bad, but not bad enough for change. What can I do. The seats are great.

Trunk carries more but not a lot more than 5er sedan . The ride is floaty especially for back passengers. The car is very heavy.

My lease is up next year. I think touring suits me more.

MJ14 535dx - Imperial Blue
MJ10 550 GT - Imperial Blue (retired)
MJ07 530i - Silver Grey (Sold)

Last edited by mason; 06-19-2012 at 08:27 AM. Reason: correction
Old 06-19-2012, 06:53 AM
What's Not to Love??

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi GT MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by spack24 View Post
So, after a year with this car, I can say that I love it and hate it. I love it because it is unique, has tons of power, drives in between the five series and 7, has tons of room in the back for the kids and plenty of storage space. It is very comfortable and well laid out. It is truly a luxurious cross over vehicle.

Here is what I hate. It drives hard, not as hard as the M5 I had but hard nonetheless. Lots of rattles, some fixed some not. The sun roof was loose from day one. Other stuff just keeps on shaking. I have tuned it out but for 80k why should I. It does not grip well with 19" tires especially around banked exit turns. If you hit a rut or hole you will go sideways. Five series tracks much better. Burns oil like crazy. Have topped it off three times already. When turning at low speeds something under the car is popping and car creaks when you up go a short incline and then immedaitely down. You cannot see over the front windshield to the ground when ramping up a parking garage which is disconcerting for a moment. The rear window is basically almost non-functional it is so small.

All in all I am going to enjoy it and move on unless they figure out a better mousetrap. The hatchback is not made for this kind of performance vehicle in my view. The aerodynamics are just not there and BMW needs to work on quality build for the price they are charging for this car. It does move fast though and is a very roomy for a five series......
Hi spack24. Thanks for posting about your experience. Sorry to hear you have a love-hate relationship, rather than love-love!

I know how you feel - when I hear a rattle, it drives me insane, and somehow makes me feel like the workmanship is poor. I had a rattle in my steering wheel column the day after I brought the car home. I was so upset that I brought the car right back. A service guy rode in the car with me and then fixed it within 30 minutes. Sounds like you've tried to get the rattles fixed, but having the service guy ride in the car with me while I pointed out the sound allowed him to understand my experience better than just reading it on a service advisor's notes. Might be worth a try. I'd also ask about the oil.

Do you have the Dynamic Handling package on your GT? The center of gravity is higher in the GT than a regular sedan, so maybe that's why you are sensing a grip problem? I think I know what you mean though about the exit ramps. When I hit those ruts while at speed in a curve, the car shimmies a little, but I don't ever feel like I'm going to lose control. Do you?
Old 06-19-2012, 06:57 AM
What's Not to Love??

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi GT MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mason View Post
After a year, here is a big I have - bad fuel injectors. BMW has changed 4 of 8 for me. There is still hesitation and vibration during start. The other 4 are bad, but not bad enough for change. What can I do. The seats are great.

Trunk carries more but not a lot more than 5. The ride is floaty especially for back passengers. The car is very heavy.

My lease is up next year. I think touring suits me more.
Wow mason! Your car is gorgeous! I'd make a PIA of myself and get it fixed!
Old 06-19-2012, 08:28 AM
Travel Fever

Mein Auto: 535dx
Thanks. I think the hybrid chassis - 5er in front and 7er in the rear contributed to the floatiness.

MJ14 535dx - Imperial Blue
MJ10 550 GT - Imperial Blue (retired)
MJ07 530i - Silver Grey (Sold)
Old 06-19-2012, 09:40 AM

Mein Auto: 550i GT
Completely agree -- Dynamic Handling package is a must for the 5GT. With it, all auto magazines have been able to post higher gs than the 5-series sedan. I personally have had fun safely crushing overly-confident 5-series sedan owners at turns, on/off ramps and acceleration (I too have the 19" tires w/ sport pkg) -- but, it could be that I am also a better driver... ha. Plus, the DINAN Stage 2 helps.
My first year woes were all electrical gremlins. Took about 14 months, but they are all finally sorted.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 550iX GT
I just hit the 1 year mark a few weeks ago (8700 miles on odo) Basically no problems other than oil needed every 4k miles. No tire problems either. My GT is rattle free (am I just lucky?). I just wish the nav was more accurate. I also think the car is not nimble enough, although driving in "Sport" mode makes it track better, but you can't toss it around.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:49 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
I contacted BMWUSA re the nav system as when I took delivery in Munich, the intersections, curve indications (in the HUD) were right on. I told them to have their programmer verify that the USA maps and the programming for the GPS were both using the same datum and spheroid, as mismatches can easily account for the errors we have. They called and said they'd have to forward it to Munich for research...never heard back. Called the guy once, got his voice-mail, but he never called back. Maybe it's time to try again!

There's no real excuse for the distance to turn indications to be off as much as they are. My phone, bike computer, and other gps devices I have all do better and they don't have a nice antenna on the roof with no obstructions, either.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:09 PM
Bayerische Motoren Werke

Mein Auto: '14 X5 50/ '10 Golf TDI
Short and sweet....our 8th BMW and biggest disapointment to date. Probably due to the fact, after numerous service visits, BMW cannot stop our 550GT from wanting to drive off the right side of the road and kill us.

Thanking the stars this one is leased.

Gone but not forgotten:
2012 550I xDrive GT
2009 X5 35d
2007 335i European Delivery with Performance Center Re-Delivery * ED May 4, 2007 Link to ED Trip Report / PCD July 5th, 2007 Link to Performance Center Re-Delivery Trip Report
2007 X3 European Delivery with Performance Center Re-Delivery
2002 330ci, 1997 328i, 1990 325i
Old 11-02-2012, 05:56 PM

Mein Auto: F07 2010 550I GT Xdrive
Question Liftback Opens By Itself?

Looking for anyone else with this problem: my GT550i (2010) has a security issue. The hatchback opens by itself for no rhyme or reason!

This has happened 3 times, fortunately twice in our garage and once in a covered carport. I am taking it for service, as I fear it could open in another situation, like long term airport parking!

The FOB has a button for trunk, but it only opens the trunklid so I have ruled out a pocket-press of the button. I can find no way to open the liftback using the FOB - am I missing something?

Correction: the FOB will open the liftgate. Diamond Key press 1/2 second is lights, 1 second is liftback, 3 seconds is panic alarm. Good to know!

I have been very happy with it since adding the Dinan Stage II, although at this price level it shouldn't need an instant 3rd party upgrade IMO. Now it goes like all get out.

Does burn a lot of oil if I drive in Sport Mode.

I'm having another issue I posted earlier: when I first go to take off, it resists going into DS (sport mode). The stick will not physically move to the left, if I keep rolling and start driving and keep hitting the stick it will suddenly let go and move into DS like normal. I can't identify any reason for this. Thought it was maybe a gas-saving function, as I noticed first when it was near empty. But Nooo, it does it on a full tank too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toms 550 GT Public 640.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	289.7 KB
ID:	348245  

Last edited by SilverBMWStreak; 11-03-2012 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Trunk Issue Resolved
Old 11-14-2012, 02:13 PM

Mein Auto: 09 X5 4.8
10,000 miles

Well all, sorry to read about the few, yes few overall GT owners that are not still as in love with their GT's now that the honeymoon is over.

I have just hit 10K miles on my GT, I like to think my original posts and reviews helped some of you make your decision to buy a GT, and your many PMs would lead me to think so...

Well what are my thoughts after 10K miles.....I still LOVE this car.... It's easier to say reread my past posts for an overall then to rewrite everything...

The GT continues to be an amazing cross breed, it handles incredibly for its size, HOWEVER, FROM DAY ONE I SAID THIS CAR NEEDs TO HAVE DYNAMIC HANDLING PACKAGE AND I ALSO THINK THE XDRIVE MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE IN THE SLIPPING OR SIDE SHIMMIES YOU ARE HAVING TAKING EXIT RAMPS HARD!

My 550 is dinaned out so i can't always judge fairly,but my wife is now driving a 535GT drive and i often drive her car and can say its also amazing to drive...

I agree with Mikez38 the nav is a let down....

But how many cars could i load up with a massive office chair a side chair, a bunch of paintings and ****loads of other knickknacks when i was moving to a new office, fit everything and still drive into NYC like i was in my C4S...

Last wednesday when we had the surprise noreaster drop 10" of snow on NYC and westchester i was stuck in the city at a charity dinner my midnight drive home on unplowed roads through 8-10" of snow was rock solid, felt safer and more in control then i ever did in my X5, snow was the last thing for me to experience with the GT....

The GT is a big car with great capability if you are going to expect it to be great at everything then you better load it up with all of the options they offer you... in some cases those options are there to help BMW meet your expectations!! BIG CAR, COMFY CAR, SPORTS CAR, SUV....WE ASK ALOT DONT WE!!

THE GT continues to make me smile everyday (except when I'm washing it) and makes choosing which keys to take even on a sunny day, the only real downside..

NOW STAY TUNED FOR THE 4 SERIES GT...HMMMMMMMM

2012 GT 550ix Msport (feb12)(ok early march 12)
09 X5 4.8
12 X3 35i (the wife)
09 C4S
61 356 roadster

Last edited by mpress; 11-14-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:34 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi GT
I second mp's thoughts on owning a GT

I have yet to 'do winter' but I am confident that with xDrive and my Michelin Alpin RFTs I should be able to handle it.

Incidentally, in Canada, BMW advertises its vehicles as the 'Ultimate Driving Experience' not 'Machine'. It is the only country in which this occurs. It has something to do with the legal definition of 'machine' . For me every time I drive my GT it is an experience,
a most pleasant one.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:43 AM

I've got around 16K on mine in about 19-months. It is much more relaxed after a long drive than my previous car and gets better mileage. Did one 1100-mile day, and still was limber after getting out. I've only had one maintenance issue that was covered by warranty - the emergency brake switch was defective, and it occasionally reported the brake didn't actually release (it had, but it pops up a big warning if it thinks it didn't). That took a week or so of diagnostics and for the part to arrive, but it was driveable in the interim. Mine has never used any measurable oil, which is nice, given what some other people are experiencing. On a rare occasion, it does have the idle hunting others have mentioned, but it doesn't occur often, or with any (that I've found, yet) predictability so it has not been addressed.

We've not experienced any significant snowfalls since I've owned it, so can't comment on how it will handle those conditions, but I, too, have some Michelin Alpin winter tires on it. I'd had those on a previous vehicle, and liked them, so was glad they were an option on this one. I'd have preferred the PAII tread, but those aren't available for the BMW.

I did install both front and rear mudflaps, and those do help to keep the lower edges of the vehicle clean. WHether they create problems with heavy snow, I've yet to find out.

I had an InvisiHitch installed, and recently, while in the UK, picked up a custom trailer wiring harness for it. I use the hitch to carry a basket which I carry a recumbent trike in. I didn't need the harness for towing, but bought it so I could automatically turn off the PDC warnings from having that thing sitting so close to the rear. It will also let me put on some auxilliary lights (also bought from the UK where they're required if your bike covers the rear lights in any way), which should provide an extra level of safety to those following.

I've only seen a few GT's on the road, which is okay by me. While not the prettiest vehicle out there, it approaches it if you like functionality. But, maybe I'm not a good judge, as the first new car I ever bought was a Citroen ID19! Still have never driven a car that had such a great ride on less than perfect roads! A maintenance pain, but actually easy to do.

The only thing that I'd have preferred, was to have been able to buy it with the 530D engine in the USA. BMW has announced more diesels for the USA, but the GT may still not get one. Anyway, barring a catastropic situation, I don't plan to replace this vehicle for quite awhile...might augment it with an i3 if I'm feeling flush at the time, but that's still awhile in the futuer (predicted availability late 2013).
Old 11-16-2012, 06:28 PM

Mein Auto: 09 X5 4.8
fish and jad what size alpin's do you have on your cars?? do you really like them?? are they noisy?? notice any major dif from all seasons???

hmmman i3???? i thinking seriously about a tesla...just wishing they would make the tesla S all wheel drive and im sold....

mp

2012 GT 550ix Msport (feb12)(ok early march 12)
09 X5 4.8
12 X3 35i (the wife)
09 C4S
61 356 roadster

Last edited by mpress; 11-16-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:46 PM

My Alpins are 245/50-18s, the same as the Goodyear RFT's that came with the car.

I don't hear much inside my GT normally but if my sound system is off, I don't notice any more noise with the Alpins than the Goodyears.
I don't notice much difference overall and I am very pleased with my winter set of tires and rims.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:23 PM

Mine are also the stock 18" size.

Last winter we had almost no snow, and being retired, I don't have to go out if it is nasty. From my previous car, where I also had them, it went through nasty stuff quite well. The impact noises are less severe than the stock Goodyears. Over concrete, they're quieter than the stock, over more common asphalt, maybe slightly noisier, but I just drove 400+ miles on the interstate, and it was not an issue at all. The mileage may be down 5% or so, but I just put them on, and last winter, the thing was still breaking in, so things were a moving target.

If you're on the edge over any winter tires verses an all-season, watch some of the testing videos at TireRack. The edge they give is worthwhile for that extra safety cushion, to me at least.

Of those available in the stock size, the Michelins seemed to be rated as the quietest while only giving up a little in max deep snow performance. I think the PAII version, if they made it in RFT sizes for our car would be better in the mileage viewpoint.

Another that bares looking into is possibly the Nokian all-season. This tire is primarily a winter tire, but compounded to be okay in the warmer seasons.

When I wear these out, I'll reassess what's avaiable, until then, I'm happy with what I have.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW GT 550i
I've owned my GT for about 4 months and I have encountered the same issue with bad fuel injectors. I purchased the car with 20,000 miles on it. Since the car was under warranty, the dealer replaced all 8 injectors. Now, no problems. The dealer explained to us that since we have no options to e90 or e85 gas close to metro Chicago, the gas actually can do damage to the GT and other direct injected high performance cars. There is a website called puregas.com that will direct you to gas with no ethanol which is much better for cars like the GT. I have also Dinan'd the car to over 500 HP. Amazing performance and comfort on long rides. The back seat is a favorite for members of my family and active vent seat package has been a favorite of my spouse. Next year I plan on replacing the Pirelli P-zero run-flats with Michelin Pilot AS tires. Any experience with Pilot AS tires out there?
Old 01-31-2013, 08:09 AM
Paint polishing expert

Mein Auto: 2011 335is
We have 12k miles on ours and besides for the surging idle when the engine is warm on startup, no issues at all. I think I'm due for the yearly oil change next month or two, so will try to address the issue then. On startup if it claims 4k more miles or 01/14? for next service do I really have to wait that long for the free oil change or just call the local dealer? We did ED in Late 01/12 and delivery in mid March. I of course have already changed the oil myself at 2k and 7500.

Bryan Burnworth

Mine-2011 335is SGM

Hers-12 535i GT DSMB/Cinnamon Welt 1/31/2012

Kelleners Hamburg Graphite Silver Metallic 19x8.5/9.5 Michelin PS A/S+ Gloss to the max by me.

99 740il-sold 52k-157k
94 540ia-sold 98k-155k
93 740il-sold 92k-147k
Old 01-31-2013, 09:52 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 535i GT
Hey Bryan, I was wondering the same Until I brought my GT in for warranty repair. My SA pulled up the vehicle record and recommended/added the annual oil change during my visit, along with new wiper blades and tires check (CARB). Apparently, the iDrive doesnt tell you to bring it in for the Annual oil change. The schedule on the iDrive is only for the regular scheduled maintenance which kicks in @ 16K miles.

BTW, happy ED anniversary to you. I remember you were a couple of weeks after me. Wishing I was driving on the Autobahn right now with my newly "refreshed" GT. :beer:

2012 535i GT ED 1/9/2012

Old 01-31-2013, 01:34 PM

The computer lets you schedule an annual checkup, but the computer determines when the engine oil needs to be replaced. While I've had mine replaced free at the anniversary, at that time, the computer was saying service required at 19.5K - lots more than I had at the time. The oil change is triggered not only by miles, but by how you drive the vehicle. Lots of idling and short drives, it will shorten the recommended interval. I had a lot of interstate miles on it, which (normally) are quite easy on things. The big thing on any engine oil is how well the TBN value is holding up - you don't want the oil to become unbuffered and caustic. The oil BMW specifies should easily retain the buffers and additives throughout the time called for.

IMHO, there's no good reason to second guess the computer. The engine has a larger than normal sump, decent cooling, and they use a quality synthetic oil. While it might give peace of mind, I do not think it is really helping the vehicle. If you really bang on it, the computer recognizes that, and will shorten the interval to the next recommended oil change. If it were only an interval timer, that might well be a different thing, but the engineers have a decent idea of what's required on their engines...

Oil technology is not a stationary target...it continues to get better all the time. Short interval oil changes are holding with the past. If you don't believe this, take a sample and have it analyzed (I have), and you'd find you are quite safe relying on the computer's assessment. A decent test, checking the most important things costs about $25 or so and you get the results in less than a week. My old car called for oil changes at 3750 miles! I could easily go over 11K on it when using a decent synthetic. It cruised at over twice the rpm the BMW does, and put a lot more heat and wear on it (plus, I think the Castrol BMW specifies is a better oil than I was using). I'd only want to change it early if there were other conditions, the computer wouldn't know about, like driving on lots of dusty roads, for example. Normal driving...not a reason to change earlier. 10-years ago, this wasn't really the case on most vehicles and oils available, but today...spend your money on it if you want, but I do not believe you are benefiting the vehicle's longevity.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:25 AM
Paint polishing expert

Mein Auto: 2011 335is
Thanks for the info guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycabrandz View Post
Hey Bryan, I was wondering the same Until I brought my GT in for warranty repair. My SA pulled up the vehicle record and recommended/added the annual oil change during my visit, along with new wiper blades and tires check (CARB). Apparently, the iDrive doesnt tell you to bring it in for the Annual oil change. The schedule on the iDrive is only for the regular scheduled maintenance which kicks in @ 16K miles.

BTW, happy ED anniversary to you. I remember you were a couple of weeks after me. Wishing I was driving on the Autobahn right now with my newly "refreshed" GT. :beer:
Happy ED Anniversary to you as well! Oh yes I was just thinking of rolling down the Autobahn at 100 the other day. Also thoughts of Wiener Schnitzel and liter of hefeweizen have been dancing in my head.

Bryan Burnworth

Mine-2011 335is SGM

Hers-12 535i GT DSMB/Cinnamon Welt 1/31/2012

Kelleners Hamburg Graphite Silver Metallic 19x8.5/9.5 Michelin PS A/S+ Gloss to the max by me.

99 740il-sold 52k-157k
94 540ia-sold 98k-155k
93 740il-sold 92k-147k
Old 02-02-2013, 03:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i XDrive GT
I have a 2013 550iX GT which was delivered in August of 2012. It has been flawless other than the requirement of oil addition on two occasions. The handling has been superb and it has been simply a great driving experience. It is true that the rear window is somewhat compromising, but the multiple cameras and blind-spot avoidance system truly compensate for this shortfall.
I would simply highly recommend this BMW model.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550I GT
I love it....even with its issues

Mine is a 2011 with 50K on it. Had a hesitation problem with it since I got it at about 20k. Just got it back from the dealer after the regional rep looked at it. They replaced all the injectors and plugs (for about the 6th time). Seems there are new and improved injectors. So far its OK. I have a small squeak in the back but I'm just to lazy to fix it.

What I LOVE about the car is the room, power, seat comfort, sound system and a bunch more. I have replaced the crappy run flats with Michelins and its the best thing I ever did for the car. Rides so much smoother. I also got an inflator kit incase I need it. Being over 6' tall and about 280 lbs I find this car has plenty of room. Easy to get in and out of. Even the back seat is great. It used to burn a lot of oil but for some reason has stopped. Go figure.

So all in all I still LOVE it. Plus I give good marks to my dealer
Old 03-28-2014, 10:23 AM

1 Year Issues To Date with 550i GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiesdad7 View Post
Mine is a 2011 with 50K on it. Had a hesitation problem with it since I got it at about 20k. Just got it back from the dealer after the regional rep looked at it. They replaced all the injectors and plugs (for about the 6th time). Seems there are new and improved injectors. So far its OK. I have a small squeak in the back but I'm just to lazy to fix it.

What I LOVE about the car is the room, power, seat comfort, sound system and a bunch more. I have replaced the crappy run flats with Michelins and its the best thing I ever did for the car. Rides so much smoother. I also got an inflator kit incase I need it. Being over 6' tall and about 280 lbs I find this car has plenty of room. Easy to get in and out of. Even the back seat is great. It used to burn a lot of oil but for some reason has stopped. Go figure.

So all in all I still LOVE it. Plus I give good marks to my dealer

This is a two-year report based on the calendar but, as I was without it for the accident repair for 21 weeks, I only have 19 months of driving it. I took delivery at 2500 miles on the odometer and have just turned 18,200.

Other than the accident (detailed in an other thread) I have had few issues except for a battery replacement and new key fobs and their associated receiver on the vehicle. No injector issues, no window track issues, no oil burning issues (it is a 2011 535 x-drive built in Oct 2010).I did have some extreme cold-weather starting/driver profile/ RBS issues that the new battery, a trickle charger and short-duration use of the transmission's DS mode have helped to more effectively. manage. I also have had no issues or complaints about either my summer tires (the stock Goodyears) or my winter tires (Michelin Alpins) that are both RFTs (though when the summer ones need replacing I may go with non-RFTs based on the comments of others
in our forum. Still a ways to go yet).

I was at my dealership today and spoke to the Service Manager (SM) to thank him for his role in the one year basic warranty extension I accepted for the long delay in my accident repair last year. The topic of oil change came up and he recommended every 6 months even if BMW only covers an annual one. I know that jad gave good rationale for letting the GT's computer decide but the SM said the annual interval is effectively a worldwide recommendation but that, here where I live in Canada, the temperature extremes between summer and winter coupled with the relative complexity of the engine makes a semi-annual oil change a good idea. The person who drove my wife's
2010 335 xi before she had it (and has since traded in on a 2013 335 xi) did semi-annual oil changes. I have not decided if I will do that based on jad's solid reasoning.

In all, I love the GT and enjoy each moment I am in it.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by Fish23; 03-28-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:45 PM

3-Years and going

It will be 3-years since EU delivery of the vehicle the end of April.

I bought this vehicle after I retired, so no daily commute, or general need to go out except when I wanted, so I barely have 25K miles on it. To date, I've only had a few issues, all taken care of under warranty. The first was a defective parking brake switch...I had it claim the parking brake was failing to disengage the second day after I picked it up in Germany, then, it started working again. WHen activated, the parking brake did work and did disengage, but it was warning that it hadn't. It eventually got replaced after redelivery back in the states. I had the rear hatch switch panel replaced when it started to fail to respond. During that time, I think the sensor was intermittently being activated, and the self-closing function engaging, and when I had it in for that service to replace the switch, they noted that the battery was reporting problems, and they replaced the battery as well. I had noticed on occasion that the trunk was not closed alert, for awhile before that, so that is probably why the battery died (but I hadn't really noticed a problem). Then, when I was standing in the passenger's doorsill to attach something to the roof rack, I must have had my toe on the seat adjustment switch assembly, and ended up breaking one of the retaining rod/hooks. Luckily, they replaced it under warranty, as the part was nearly $300!. A couple of switches and a small CB barely 1/2" square...seems way overpriced, but it is what it is.

Since most of my driving now is shorter trips, and more cold starts, I'm toying with getting an i3 for the normal around-town things. I only live a mile or so from a major shopping mall, and most stuff is within 3-miles, so the GT doesn't get fully warmed up as much as I'd like, and those effects may shorten its life, thus, the electric (without ReX) seems a good addition...I have an appointment for the local car dealer's test drives in mid-May. We'll see how well I fit, and how it drives. One of the primary reasons I bought the GT is the ease of entry and exit, and the headroom...it's one of the few cars I find it easy to get in and out of out there.

The next time I have the oil changed, I'm going to ask them to save a sample, and I'm going to get it analyzed. But, since they just did one recently, it will be awhile. With oil, it is really the additives that wear out or get used up, not the oil itself wearing out. But, it seems that maybe half of the volume is additives. The critical things to look for are the TBN, or ability to buffer the pH, and the viscosity change from new. Other things like the wear additives are less likely to be used up in the time between changes, but you can also look for the evidence of wear metals, that may indicate an engine problem, or antifreeze, indicating a cooling system issue (I discovered that early on my last car because of periodic testing), or excessive gas or water in the oil, that has multiple causes. But, if you regularly can get the vehicle up to full operating oil temperature, you should not have issues with gas or water.

Anyway, I have had a cold soak issue with one (maybe more) of the TPMS sensors in my aftermarket wheels/tires with the Michelin Pilot Alpins...it only does it when it is REALLY cold and the car has been outside for many hours. Starting in the relatively warm garage, even when it is really cold out has not triggered the failure. Seems when the receiver cannot hear from one or more of the sensors, it declares the whole system failed, and won't report the status of any individual wheel, whether it has a working sensor or not...kind of a pain, it would be nicer if it showed which ones were green, and maybe red or something on the one(s) it can't talk to, but it doesn't. I'll probably end up getting them all replaced, since I don't have an easy way to tell which one(s) have a (what I think is) marginal battery. The things should last longer than a few years if their internal sensor shuts them off while stationary like it should.

Anyway, given there are few cars I'd want to drive that I fit into well (moderately tall, but long waist), I do not know what I'd end up with if I didn't have what I have now. As it is, with the seat all the way down, I have to look around the rear-view mirror to see in that area, so you can get an idea where my head is!

Being the I6, it has not used any oil between changes. I did have to add a bit of antifreeze, so I need to watch that carefully...no evidence of it in the oil or on the ground. On my last couple of vehicles, I had one of those Fumoto drain plug valves that makes it easy to get an oil sample without having to remove the plug and having to replace the gasket. I may look into getting one for this vehicle, and then could take a sample myself. The alternative is to suck out some, but then you have to buy that tool.

Anyway, I'm hoping this last year in warranty remains reliable and if so, then I'd have to decide on whether to extend the warranty or just chance it. Time will tell.