Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-01-2013, 09:46 PM

Mein Auto: X3, 535xi
Opinions on 528 vs 535

I currently have a 08 X3 (8K miles) and a Subaru. Subaru got rear ended and thinking about getting a 5 series.

Went to the dealer and had the following options:

528xi w/ Cold weather & Premium Packages + nav + rear-view cam + park distance control.

535xi w/ Cold weather & Driver Assistance & Technology & (most importantly) M sport package + contour seats + Sport automatic trans with shift paddles.

I live in a place with lots of unpaved roads and a city that does not believe in fixing potholes.

Given the low profile tires of the M Sport package, should I avoid the 535xi? Really liked the driver assistance package and the added power in the 535. But if low profile tires are an issue would consider 535.
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2013, 10:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 528xi
As for the power, you can go with the 528i and then add the BMS tune for only $380 and end up with almost the same power as the 535i. This is what I am doing...

Mods:
35% Madico Onyx Tints
Painted Front Reflectors
Debadged
Custom M Performance Grilles
M Performance V-Spoke 20" Wheels
18mm BMS Rear Spacers
M5 Style Spoiler
M Sport Rear Bumper with Painted Reflectors & M5 Diffuser
GTHAUS Meisterschaft Full Cat-back True Dual Exhaust 4x90mm GTC EV Controlled
Evolution Racewerks Catless Downpipe
BMS Stage 1 Tune (pending)

(Picture not up to date with current mods)
Old 02-01-2013, 10:22 PM

Thanks. I was also interested in the looks + options in the 535xi.

True, I can order a 535/528 with custom specs. But just got news that my Subaru wont be out of the shop for the next 6 weeks.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix sport
My guess is that if you have poor roads you won't be happy with the OEM 19" tires. You have a few options. Some buyers have convinced the dealer to replace the OEM 245/40/19 tires with 245/45/19 all-season tires that are OEM on the 7-Series. Or you could replace them yourself for maybe $2,000. Using the 245/45/19 tires is the least expensive way of having a great vehicle without having to worry about tire failure.

Goodyear use to have a one year road hazard warranty on the tires in which case they replace the failed tire for free during the first year. However, some have reported that this warranty is no longer applicable. The car you're looking at may or may not come with it depending on the build date. Unfortunately the dealer usually won't be of much help in determining what the tire warranty is. You have to look at the DVD in the glove box to determine that.

You could also buy a road hazard tire warranty from the dealer.

Finally, you could replace the OEM tires with 245/45/18 tires and wheels that are OEM on the non-sport 535iX. This is more expensive because you have to buy new wheels in addition to the new tires.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:27 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi,328xiC
You should drive them both. No doubt a tune will change the characteristics. But as is the 550 to the 535 and the 535 to the 528 the displacement of the engine does impact the driving characteristics. I had the opportunity to drive the 328 for almost a week while my car was getting serviced. Here are my perspectives, recognizing that the car is smaller than the 535.

It's a good engine. The best way to describe it, is that when the turbo is spooled up you get good acceleration and the car does accelerate very well in sport mode. What you notice as compared to a 535 (again, I'm surmising) is that in every day driving, particularly in non-sport mode, the 4 cylinder engine is quite noticeable from a sound and torque perspective. By that I mean it will be very apparent to you that it is economically oriented, the turbo doe not impact the engine as much and you will find the car accelerates leisurely. I found myself constantly stabbing the gas peddle to get the turbo to spool. Compared to a 535 (and I have a Burger Tune) you will get far better every day acceleration without mashing the peddle, the sound is very different and when you really step on it, well...it goes. No different again than the step up to the 550.

Best to drive each for at least 20 minutes and see for yourself. I wouldn't necessarily rule it out, just depends how you will react to it. What I found was, I couldn't experience and significant improvement in gas mileage as I was flooring it a lot. This may be a different result for you.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:49 AM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterC4 View Post
You should drive them both. No doubt a tune will change the characteristics. But as is the 550 to the 535 and the 535 to the 528 the displacement of the engine does impact the driving characteristics. I had the opportunity to drive the 328 for almost a week while my car was getting serviced. Here are my perspectives, recognizing that the car is smaller than the 535.

It's a good engine. The best way to describe it, is that when the turbo is spooled up you get good acceleration and the car does accelerate very well in sport mode. What you notice as compared to a 535 (again, I'm surmising) is that in every day driving, particularly in non-sport mode, the 4 cylinder engine is quite noticeable from a sound and torque perspective. By that I mean it will be very apparent to you that it is economically oriented, the turbo doe not impact the engine as much and you will find the car accelerates leisurely. I found myself constantly stabbing the gas peddle to get the turbo to spool. Compared to a 535 (and I have a Burger Tune) you will get far better every day acceleration without mashing the peddle, the sound is very different and when you really step on it, well...it goes. No different again than the step up to the 550.

Best to drive each for at least 20 minutes and see for yourself. I wouldn't necessarily rule it out, just depends how you will react to it. What I found was, I couldn't experience and significant improvement in gas mileage as I was flooring it a lot. This may be a different result for you.
+1

You have to drive the cars, back to back if possible, in the same situations. I always try to test drive on an uphill on-ramp to a highway. This gives you the best opportunity to stress the engine.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:04 AM

Thanks for the replies folks!. I did test drive them back to back and all said, I liked the 535 better. Compared to the 528, the 535 had a smoother driving experience.

I generally tend to use the car for 7 - 8 years and have *low* mileage. (My 6 y0 X3 has 8K miles!). From that perspective which of the cars is likely to hold the value better?

The dealer did give me another option to consider: A 535 w/o sport and no drivers assistance package but has luxury seating package. Wondering how useful the drivers assistance package is. I have never had a car of this size before (my X3 and Subaru outback are much smaller). Ergo, thought the front view & top view cameras will be helpful.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer40 View Post
Thanks for the replies folks!. I did test drive them back to back and all said, I liked the 535 better. Compared to the 528, the 535 had a smoother driving experience.

I generally tend to use the car for 7 - 8 years and have *low* mileage. (My 6 y0 X3 has 8K miles!). From that perspective which of the cars is likely to hold the value better?

The dealer did give me another option to consider: A 535 w/o sport and no drivers assistance package but has luxury seating package. Wondering how useful the drivers assistance package is. I have never had a car of this size before (my X3 and Subaru outback are much smaller). Ergo, thought the front view & top view cameras will be helpful.
8k miles in 6 yrs!!?!? Why even own a car? Lol that's crazy. I drive more in a month than you do in a year!
Old 02-02-2013, 07:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 528xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by omaralt View Post
Why even own a car?
Because he can?

Mods:
35% Madico Onyx Tints
Painted Front Reflectors
Debadged
Custom M Performance Grilles
M Performance V-Spoke 20" Wheels
18mm BMS Rear Spacers
M5 Style Spoiler
M Sport Rear Bumper with Painted Reflectors & M5 Diffuser
GTHAUS Meisterschaft Full Cat-back True Dual Exhaust 4x90mm GTC EV Controlled
Evolution Racewerks Catless Downpipe
BMS Stage 1 Tune (pending)

(Picture not up to date with current mods)
Old 02-02-2013, 07:40 AM

When in Europe, I did not own a car. Now... in the southwest.... I do need my car... for visiting my nearest neighbor

Honestly, the way it happened was that the X3 was supposed to be the primary car and as soon as I got it I ended up going away a lot. As for driving habits, generally I drive around town and to the nearest airport.

Going forward, I am looking at about 4K miles per year.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535i
No offense to the 528 owners but I just can't justify spending that kind of money on a BMW with a 4 cylinder. The I6 in the 535 is smooth as silk and you won't regret it.
2011 535i, 06/11 Build, Black Sapphire, Black Dakota, Dark Wood, 6mt, PP 1 & 2, Premium Sound, Soft Close Doors, Convenience, Driver Assist, Cold Weather, Nav, SAT, 35% Suntek Tint, BMWPedals, Coded, Xpel Paint Prot.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:06 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
I've had 3 BMW's, all non-sport. Here's a crazy idea, maybe talk to your dealer. Is there any way they might have a demo model they'd be willing to lend you (even a 3) while you order a 535i just the way you want it? No sport, with just the options you want/need. The driver assistance package, if that includes all the "silly" blind-spot, lane departure, etc., FOR ME, is a waste of $$. I'd rather spend it elsewhere for other options or just save it (ye gads). I think the cameras can be ordered without the package, at least the rear camera ($400), but then you need PDC for $750.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 02-02-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:07 AM

Looks like we are dead ended on finance. Dealer wants to charge way more than what BMW FS said that I would be eligible for.

Thought about getting the 535xi no sport one. BMW FS said dealer should be able to do 3.19% financing and dealer was not willing to look at anything less than 3.9%.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Looks like we are dead ended on finance. Dealer wants to charge way more than what BMW FS said that I would be eligible for.

Thought about getting the 535xi no sport one. BMW FS said dealer should be able to do 3.19% financing and dealer was not willing to look at anything less than 3.9%.
. On a $50K loan, for 4 years, the difference in monthly payment between 3.19 and 3.9 percent is $16.00. Besides, why are you locked into dealer financing, or are you talking about money factor on a lease? (Although those seem like pretty good rates, no?)

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 02-02-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:47 AM
Kaos

Mein Auto: 2014 550i M Sport
For a .49 buy rate, check out Pen Fed credit union (you can join for free) and go thru Truecar.com to get this rate for 48 months. I believe it's .99 for 60 months. Good luck.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:33 PM

Ok. The dealer folded. BMW FS 5 yr financing (for an amount a little more than 65K).

Just drove in the 535xi w/ Premium + Luxury Seating + Cold Weather + Technology Package + Premium Hi-Fi and PDC. Lets see how I like this puppy.

Tried to get the sporting package and have dealer change tires. Did not work out. Also the local sport car enthusiasts told me not to get any low profile run flats if I plan to drive in snowy conditions. So given my uses, luxury won over sport. Did the test drive on the 528 one more time, but the drive & feel was better in the 535.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Ok. The dealer folded. BMW FS 5 yr financing (for an amount a little more than 65K).

Just drove in the 535xi w/ Premium + Luxury Seating + Cold Weather + Technology Package + Premium Hi-Fi and PDC. Lets see how I like this puppy.

Tried to get the sporting package and have dealer change tires. Did not work out. Also the local sport car enthusiasts told me not to get any low profile run flats if I plan to drive in snowy conditions. So given my uses, luxury won over sport. Did the test drive on the 528 one more time, but the drive & feel was better in the 535.
Congratulations -- and you'll love the 535i.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:16 PM

Thanks for your help guys. Stopping by the dealership tomorrow to see if they have any cargo mats. I might look at any protection packages they offer. Are any of those worth the money?

Plus, since I picked up my car from the stock already at the dealer, I had no option of a rear sunshade. Is it possible to get the electric sunshade added on or is that a factory installed item? (Since the switch needs to be added, I presume it wont be the same as OEM).