Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 06-18-2012, 08:29 PM
The Canadian Prick.

Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
Maintenance.
Suspension.
Performance.
Cosmetics.

HAS KEN HAD HIS MEDS YET?
Old 06-18-2012, 08:58 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifelessonE3693 View Post
The suspension is a must change for my e36. I hit about 70...turn on the ol' cruise and get sea sick. It has a mad bobbing. was told to get the whole thing replaced but struts and all is expensive. I'm 19 with a super super tight budget. Any help pirate? also would like a lot more kick in becky's ass (thats what i named her) you think the best first upgrade to performance would be a computer tweak?

spanks a lot for all the help so far

-T-rev
Welcome to the fest!

Your screen name tells a story on owning a BMW. Your life lesson for today is that maintaining an E36 is going to cost. They are great cars, and well worth the effort.

Ed (jonesin) has it right. You should do maintenance first, but considering your description of your car bobbing at speed, I'd say get some new shocks and struts on it quick. If you have stock springs, you can get Monroes or some other low priced set of shocks and struts and they'll be OK for quite a while (although not the best).

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 08-27-2012, 07:25 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 323ic
About time!!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Bimmer App
Old 10-29-2012, 02:53 PM

Mein Auto: e36
Very helpful post pirate, don't think my bank balance will like you much though haha
Old 12-19-2012, 09:09 PM

Mein Auto: 96 Bmw 328i
How would i bore out my throttle body? Im am considering an m50 manifold swap. But as ive seen on this post there is more to be done than to just swap out intake manifolds.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:13 PM
The Canadian Prick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtneuner93 View Post
How would i bore out my throttle body? Im am considering an m50 manifold swap. But as ive seen on this post there is more to be done than to just swap out intake manifolds.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=544874

Old 12-19-2012, 10:44 PM

Mein Auto: 96 Bmw 328i
thanks for that but what is the definition of boring out a throttle body? does it simply mean buying a wider diameter throttle body, or is it something i could do to my stock one?
Old 12-19-2012, 10:57 PM
The Canadian Prick.

Son, I am going to assume that you actually read that you actually read that thread, and that you genuinely haven't ever heard of google.

When you enter big bore throttle body into google, not even entering E36 this is the first thread that pops up: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=234025

Old 12-20-2012, 08:23 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: A redhead E90
spending 700 bucks on a large bore throttle is just plain ludicrous unless you have a built race engine. VAC motorsports has a variety of them, the cheapest being a hair under 600 bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj.surr View Post
Drop the clutch, proceed and ain't care.
  • '06 325xi 6MT
Old 12-20-2012, 08:58 AM
Come at ///M

Send a message via AIM to jayjaya29
Mein Auto: 97 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdoherty View Post
spending 700 bucks on a large bore throttle is just plain ludicrous unless you have a built race engine. VAC motorsports has a variety of them, the cheapest being a hair under 600 bucks.
There are other vendors, such as Riot Racing, which sells their BBTB for $250 + $100 core

http://jlanephoto.smugmug.com/
Old 12-20-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjaya29 View Post
There are other vendors, such as Riot Racing, which sells their BBTB for $250 + $100 core
orly.... maybe that could be beneficial when i strap on the snail.

Quote:
  • '06 325xi 6MT
Old 12-20-2012, 09:01 AM
Come at ///M

Send a message via AIM to jayjaya29
Mein Auto: 97 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdoherty View Post
orly.... maybe that could be beneficial when i strap on the snail.
Their website sucks, but here is a link:

http://www.westcoastriots.com/obd2.h...CT_ID=18601765

http://jlanephoto.smugmug.com/
Old 12-22-2012, 12:51 PM

Mein Auto: E36 328i coupe
what a interesting thread although one vital thing has been left off (unless i missed it), not a performance mod but the best supporting mod for any engine and that is junk the plastic water pump and thermostat housing! i found this out the hard way having bought my 328i from a mate who had not used it for 16 months, thermostat stuck and head went pop along with the radiator. i got a alloy thermostat housing from a popular parts store here in the UK which was very lucky as they not restocked them for 2 years and a cast metal waterpump which i may upgrade to the performance pump available in the US.

anyways i have a replacement engine to fit which will get the stainless headers my mate added and a decat pipe, the M50 manifold convertion is top of the list, got the manifold but not the throttle body or plumbing, engine will get full service with NKGs and i will get a CAI then im having it flash mapped at a dyno across from my work. i want 230-240bhp and by look of it its well in reach with whats been mentioned on this site. i will update when all is done.

Last edited by Ken328i; 12-22-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:15 PM

Mein Auto: 92 318i 94 325i 96 z3
Looking for somebody that has the e36 RTAB pocket problem looking at the AKG plate
Old 01-13-2013, 09:15 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 318ti hatchback
looking for audio help on 97 318ti

I have a 1997 318ti hatchback with less than 50,000 original miles on it. I want to up grade the sound system and have done some research but need some questions answered. First off I have a basic cassette deck receiver with 10 speakers and an BMW stock amp mounted in the trunk on the driver side quarter panel wall under the side carpet. I have a Pioneer DHX3500U receiver, new. I have the adapter harness for the stock BMW receiver plug and the Pioneer. My situation is the rear speakers. They are playing at 50% at best. They pop and crack at half volume. Initially I wanted to replace the rears with some mid level aftermarkets, looking to spend around $150 or so. The stock speakers are 411/2" rounds. I have been told and have read that I can not just plug aftermarket speakers into the BMW harness and amp. That it will ruin the speakers. From what I have learned the BMW amp is not compatible with after market speakers. I am trying to confirm these things and I am also trying to find out if I can by pass BMW amp and use my MOSFET amp that is internally in my new Pioneer deck? Can I unplug the input and output on the amp and plug those two lines directly into each other and this would bypass amp. is this true? or is there a better way to do this? Have also been told I cant run the other 8 BMW speakers from the MOSFET amp in my Pioneer deck. That the BMW speakers will not work with any other amp than a BMW. So, is it possible to put new rear speakers in car without changing all 10 and also get around the stock amp? Long question, I know. What I thought was gonna be a great afternoon DIY project seems to be turning into a technical high skilled job. Any help, info, ideas welcomed.
Keep on Bimming
Paul Corazzo
Old 01-13-2013, 09:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Bad Luck 46
Ive never heard that about the stock amp

The only reason they arent plug and play is because the stock speakers have a harness that it plugs into where it then goes into the amp but you can easily just cut the connector off and splice the aftermarket speakers onto the wires and they will work just fine.

leave the stock amp alone unless you really have the time to decipher which wire is which
but imo the stock amp is really good

-Dino

Last edited by BMRfanatic; 01-13-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by team22racing View Post
I have a 1997 318ti hatchback with less than 50,000 original miles on it. I want to up grade the sound system and have done some research but need some questions answered. First off I have a basic cassette deck receiver with 10 speakers and an BMW stock amp mounted in the trunk on the driver side quarter panel wall under the side carpet. I have a Pioneer DHX3500U receiver, new. I have the adapter harness for the stock BMW receiver plug and the Pioneer. My situation is the rear speakers. They are playing at 50% at best. They pop and crack at half volume. Initially I wanted to replace the rears with some mid level aftermarkets, looking to spend around $150 or so. The stock speakers are 411/2" rounds. I have been told and have read that I can not just plug aftermarket speakers into the BMW harness and amp. That it will ruin the speakers. From what I have learned the BMW amp is not compatible with after market speakers. I am trying to confirm these things and I am also trying to find out if I can by pass BMW amp and use my MOSFET amp that is internally in my new Pioneer deck? Can I unplug the input and output on the amp and plug those two lines directly into each other and this would bypass amp. is this true? or is there a better way to do this? Have also been told I cant run the other 8 BMW speakers from the MOSFET amp in my Pioneer deck. That the BMW speakers will not work with any other amp than a BMW. So, is it possible to put new rear speakers in car without changing all 10 and also get around the stock amp? Long question, I know. What I thought was gonna be a great afternoon DIY project seems to be turning into a technical high skilled job. Any help, info, ideas welcomed.
Keep on Bimming
Paul Corazzo
most of us run aftermarket speakers, and decks on the stock BMW amp. I myself have the stock BMW amp driving my shelf and door speakers which are all Kicker brand and then i have a separate amp that's bridged to run just a sub. it gets confusing but its all quite simple honestly

Quote:
  • '06 325xi 6MT
Old 01-13-2013, 09:25 PM
D'oh, You kids!

No reason whatsoever that you couldn't splice in the existing speakers, but if they're crackling now, a new amp/head unit probably isn't going to help.

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 01-26-2013, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: 94 Mtechnic, 91 vette
I wanted some opnions onTHIS kit

I'd looking into redoing the suspension on my 325is, and I wanted to know, is that the best route to go, or is there a cheaper way I can do it? How are the quality of the parts, an do you see any missing/weak links in that kit?
Old 02-02-2013, 06:33 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 E36 323i Vert
Upgrading Sound System

Today is my first day on the forum! Glad I joined, TONS of good info here.
I just recently updated my sound system. I have a 99 323i E36 Vert. Stock amp, stock speakers (10 speakers), aftermarket head unit. (The guy who put the head unit in got frustrated trying to hack into the stock system and only got the 2 speakers in the front kick panels to work. So I pulled the head unit and started over.) Here's my experience:
The stock speakers can only run from the stock amp as it has built in crossovers. If you try and run the stock speakers straight from an aftermarket head unit, you will not like the results, unless you are good at buying aftermarket crossovers and configuring them to the stock speakers. Just a pain.
Also, since the stock amp has built in crossovers, you will drive yourself nuts trying to figure out the wiring to make this work with aftermarket speakers. In addition, the stock amp is not 'adjustable' like aftermarket amps and again, you won't like the results.
It's just my opinion, but if you want a really nice system, just unhook (or remove) the stock amp and speakers and run all new. It's a bit of a DIY project but I did this and the results are AMAZING. Again, just my opinion, but the stock system is just not worth trying to hack into if you really want a nice system. If you shop around and Google for a while, you can do an entire new system for less than $800.
I bought a nice 6 channel amp and two sets of infinity Kappa separate component speakers with crossovers. One set for the front and one set for the rear. The amp and speakers were a total of $500. I also bought a 10 inch subwoofer (I went cheap here, for the time being) with a small enclosure for $100. The head unit the guy put in had pre-amp outputs for front, rear and sub. I ran all the RCA's to the trunk and ran all new speaker wires. Took me about 2 days of ripping the car apart and putting it all back together, but the results are WELL worth it.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:12 PM

Mein Auto: 95 325i
nice! this helps alot man.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:12 AM

Mein Auto: e36
Hi there just wondering if the iriduim 8 plugs are the best for my m52 2.8 as the shop I went to order them from said their system only recommended those plugs for the 2.5, and apparently recommended a copper based plug for mine? Can anyone clear this up for me? Cheers Aaron
Old 04-04-2013, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azaharafat19 View Post
Hi there just wondering if the iriduim 8 plugs are the best for my m52 2.8 as the shop I went to order them from said their system only recommended those plugs for the 2.5, and apparently recommended a copper based plug for mine? Can anyone clear this up for me? Cheers Aaron
buy the copper ones, the iridium is a waste

Quote:
  • '06 325xi 6MT
Old 04-04-2013, 10:20 AM
D'oh, You kids!

The Iridium ones work really well....for a while, until it burns the tips off. The copper ones keep going, and going, and going.....

BMW-CCA #441426
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 04-11-2013, 07:32 PM
Insane in the membrane!

Mein Auto: 1996 328iS
Not trying to hate but where I'm from I think Tyres are spelt Tires. And smother is spelt smoother, always good to check spelling when doing a write up I think….

Ok CAI…. This topic has frustrated me quite a bit. When it comes to these cars, I think if anything your CAI is going to be sucking in warmer air, as the factory box as a direct connection to the front of your grill. CAI's that go down below your engine are silly too because roads are usually really hot. I suppose if you have properly done a heat shield you might get back to the same air temperatures your OEM intake was getting. Secondly, Yes CAI's make your engine sound pretty beefy, and ya you'll get more air flow and more HP, but I really really think people should think hard (especially considering we are talking about old E36's, and parts aren't getting any easier to find) about what they value more, the life of their engine, and engine oil, or the 10 (at best) extra HP. I know cone air filter manufacturers love to advertise how their filters never need to be replaced and filter just as good as paper filters (if they are oiled, and who wants to constantly be oiling their filter) but you can't defy the laws of physics, they do not filter the air nearly as well as just a plain old paper filter. However I'm willing to consider that depending on where you live this might not be a big issue.

I enjoyed the rest of your write up, thanks for the post!