Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 03-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 02 525I SPORT
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
Your e39 has the low instrument cluster...so it doesn't use any of the Priority "text" warning from the check control module....mainly because you have no place to display them. BMW designed your car with the GRAPHIC display to warn you of open doors & burnt out bulbs...along with the other instrument cluster warning lights.

This is your Check Control Graphic Display that gives you warnings:

Again, there's no where on your cluster to display any of the text Priority warnings used by the HIGH instrument cluster...which has a 20 digit alpha/numeric display:

Bump, got it, so much info.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:18 PM

Mein Auto: BMW e38
Quote:
You didn't give us enough information about your car. There are changes during the production range from 1994-2001 that could give multiple answers...as well as not being clear as to "what" messages you're referring to.

Messages come from various components and appear in various locations. The instrument cluster receives messages from the Check Control module about various operating system components...and are broken down into PRIORITY 1, 2, & 3 warnings (see list in post #10 above). Then the OBC can be pulled up on the instrument cluster & MID or Nav monitor.

The gong is located under the dash on the right side...is yours plugged in? Or perhaps a previous owner had the gong disable using BMW proprietary software. Has the gong ever worked since you've owned the car?

So again, without your MODEL/MODEL YEAR/BUILD DATE...or...more details/info as to what messages and what component you're referring to...your questions can't really be answered specifically.

Help us help you better...give car details, and be specific as to where and what you're describing on/in your car. We can't see it and rely on you to paint the picture for us.
Thanks for your reply.
I'm sorry, I just discovered It's a e39 forum. I drive 1998 E38 (European) with High Instrument Cluster and Mid display. I've Tested my gong with that "OBD Hidden Functions" and it works well. When I enter that "Hidden" menu "CHECK CONTROL" appears but there is no word "OK". As I know It should write "Check Control: OK"

By the messages I mean warnings such as "Fasten Seat belts","Release Parking Brake" "Key in the ignition", "Lights On" and etc….

There are no notification arrows on the sides of the display.

The display is always off until i press the OBD button on the turn signal lever.. Digital Clock, Consumption and other stuff appears without any problems.

Only thing I know from previous owner is that he replaced LCM module.

Thanks for support
Old 03-05-2012, 12:31 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickshotadze View Post
Only thing I know from previous owner is that he replaced LCM module.

Thanks for support
That may be the problem right there. Is your tamper dot (manipulation dot) illuminated? If the PO (previous owner) replaced the LCM with a used one and didn't write your car's VIN to it...then the manipulation dot should be illuminated...and the LCM & IKE (instrument cluster electronics) aren't communicating with each other.

In your 98 model year e38...the Check Control module is incorporated into the LCM (light check module) and it is located in the right foot well (on the exterior wall).

You can see the location of the manipulation (tamper)dot in the info below...as well as what is required to allow a replacement LCM or IKE to communicate with each other:

In the e38s built prior to 9/95...the CCM (check control module) was a separate component...but again, in your 98...the CCM & LCM are combined into one component:

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg
Old 03-05-2012, 07:36 AM

Mein Auto: BMW e38
QSilver7 Thank you so much. yes the tamper dot is illuminated. So I guess I need to reprogram my LCM.

Last edited by nickshotadze; 03-05-2012 at 07:39 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:29 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
For the record, this list came in handy for a user today:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCo540i View Post
I got a check alert on my instrument cluster display but i'm missing so many pixels that I can't figure out what I need to check.

Is there a list of the possible checks so that I can try to match up the remaining pixels?.
The whole point of the 'canonical' threads is to answer the question before it's even asked!

Good work everyone!
Old 12-18-2012, 08:48 AM

This thread would have been handy for this user today:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjaggs View Post
Guys - my display hasn't beaten me, until today. Who can crack this code for me?

Thanks!

Old 12-30-2012, 06:35 PM

Dunno if this thread would have helped this user or not, since it relates to the MID:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > "ALARM" written on MID

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzboy View Post
So strange thing happen... I was in my garage, cleaning something and I was listening music from the CD on the car (6 cd changer). After an hour of listening, the music has change to radio by it self, and after a minute or so again to CD (the engine was not working). Next day while I drive my car, same thing happen again. From CD to radio and again to CD, but this time I saw "ALARM" written on the MID screen. Does somebody know what is the reason for this? Thanks
p.s. the car is 525d 2002 with DSP and 6-cd changer
Old 01-31-2013, 05:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Another message to decode

I'm in the same boat as many of you. The display is going bad on my '03 530i and I have a tough time figuring out the attached message. The last bit of display (i.e. at the far right) has me confused. It does not appear to match any of the listed messages. Anyone has any ideas?

I started getting this message recently and it comes on usually a few minutes after I start driving. At times, there is also the "Check Engine Oil Level" message along with this one. If the check the oil level, it seems to be ok most of the time. Sometimes, I have to add a little oil. I have about 144K miles on the car and I'm the second owner (owned it since it had 43k miles). The maintenance has been performed regularly.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy530Fan View Post

... it comes on usually a few minutes after I start driving. At times, there is also the "Check Engine Oil Level" message along with this one...
If the warning is coming on while you're driving and CAN NOT be cleared by pressing the CHECK (right side) button...we can rule out that it is one of the PRIORITY 2 warnings...thus shortening the list...its got to be one of the PRIORITY 1 warnings.

I think the only PRIORITY 1 warning that starts with "CHECK" is the check brake fluid warning.

If it is a PRIORITY 2 warning...then the warning comes on when ignition is in position 2...or right after shutting down the vehicle...plus the warning can be cleared by pressing the CHECK button on the right...leaving the "STATUS ARROWS" on the far left & right as indicators that there's a warning in the display:

2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)

Old 02-01-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
the only PRIORITY 1 warning that starts with "CHECK" is the check brake fluid warning. If it is a PRIORITY 2 warning...then
I love the way you think!

Logically!
Old 02-02-2013, 07:10 AM

Thank you (you're making me blush).
(SOLD)

Old 02-04-2013, 04:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Thanks for the quick and detailed response. The warning comes on while driving but it appears to be a Priority 2 warning based on the fact that the two triangles on either end of the message are not flashing. I also get the "check engine oil level" warning often these days and both of these appear to belong to the same priority. I can clear them or they go off on their own after several seconds while driving. Then, when I turn the engine off, they are displayed again. That's when I took the picture attached in the original post.

So, between all the Priority 2 warnings that begin with "CHECK...", I could not match anything. I'm intrigued by the last letter. It looks to be more orange than the other letters. Also, the letter does not seem to touch the bottom of the display like all of the others do. Could it be a different symbol and not a letter at all?

I was wondering whether there could be messages that are not listed in the manual and therefore posted here. Surely, I'm not the first one to get this (or am I)!

Last edited by Indy530Fan; 02-04-2013 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Updated with more information.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:34 PM

I have a question about WHY this message below, from QSilver7 today in another thread, doesn't show up on our list above?
- REMOTE KEY BATTERY

Is it that we only listed the cluster messages for the NEWEST HIGH E39 cluster (and not the older or low clusters)?
Else, how did we miss this one?

Quote:
I think the key battery warning (which is a priority 2 warning) is found on BMWs with the old style remote keys that have a replaceable battery. And obviously the car needs to have the HIGH instrument cluster to get the low key battery warning:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	remote_key_battery.jpg
Views:	1198
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	363528  

Last edited by bluebee; 02-23-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:39 AM

I'm not sure whether we should expand this thread to cover E39 cluster icons ... but these two threads today prompted me to try:
- What's this light mean?
- Dashboard light

So, I'll start an ad hoc collection of cluster display icons, which should "tell a story" to the user.

Quote:
The ACC option was nevere offered on e39 BMWs imported to the USA on the E39
(ACC sensor location in front bumper area, from QSilver7's thread.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	acc.jpg
Views:	971
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	366814  
Old 03-17-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-BMW View Post
What's this light mean?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkgreene39 View Post
Brake pad with brake sensors time.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:47 AM

I guess we could just point people to the owners manual ... but people do ask so this thread can be a one-stop shopping for what an indicator really means on the cluster.
- Where do I find for my BMW E39 an online owner's manual or a PDF owners manual (1)

For example, here's the common abs trifecta, which is NOT adequately explained in the owners manual:

See also:
- How to diagnose a cluster check engine light CEL LED removed by the PO or SES service engine soon light disabled by black tape on the instrument cluster circuit board (1)

Last edited by bluebee; 08-16-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:43 PM

For the record, apparently some E39 clusters show test #9 voltage with the decimal place and the units abbreviation; while others don't, according to information in this thread today:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalaleah53 View Post
I'm also attempting to show a "OBC test #9 alternator and a battery voltage display. Does anyone else's display look like this without the word "volts" and a number like 13.5 with a decimal point showing? Am I really not doing a voltage test even though I drop it into test #9?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdl View Post
Regards test #9 - you have the "low" or Kombi instrument cluster; same as mine. The test 9 display is exactly like mine. Your pictures are indicating a voltage of 11.5 volts.

versus
Old 05-28-2013, 03:42 AM

For cross reference, this question came up today:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcshott View Post
After detailed searching several forums I'm stumped for actual pics of dash (& explanation of all displays, as I expect there is?) as in an owners manual. 10 days ago I bought an E39 535i with 'M' pack & M62 engine, including the dreaded E39 pixel prob in OBC of course which is very difficult to read although I can make out that there's a 'Light' problem with stop & tail lights (including tone sounding, fixed! I think. No owner manual with the car although I have one on order. In the meantime, can someone answer the following -:

On main dash display I have 2 YELLOW warning lights displayed continuously during operation... BOTH have come on in the last couple days, one is for "check anti-brake system" at the lower right of main dash, self-explainatory although the ABS seems working after testing several times, fluid reservoir is full & brake linings OK

Other warning is bottom centre between the speedo & tacho, round yellow display with a (!) What do both of these actually mean? Appreciate any help I can get. Cheers, Jim.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:09 PM

Another cluster quiz came up today ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjaggs View Post
Guys, need a little help on this one, any guesses?

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cluster.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	397448  
Old 12-05-2013, 06:56 PM

This cluster quiz came up today:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > E39 instrument cluster
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjahmen2564 View Post
can anybody help me read this please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
Check Engine Oil Level
Old 01-15-2014, 08:00 PM

A particularly tough cluster quiz was posted today ...
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Dead pixels question
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw530ii View Post
Hey guys, so I have many dead pixels and their is a message shown but I can't read . Is their any other way to read it , for example can I take it to my mechanic and have plug in something in my car that tells them what it says? I have no service engine soon light on, but It's been their since I've had my car and it's starting to bug me.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 bmw 530i sport
The picture posted is my car. I think that their is some more messages because sometimes I get a message and it has some pixels in it. I'll take a picture tomorrow

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 03-15-2014, 08:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 525i
I have a message on my 2003 525i that does not go away when the car is turned on. My letters are pixelated, so I cannot make them all out. Help please

It says: T[M and then there's some numbers and letter and when I am driving those numbers are changing.

At first I thought it was TCM but it definetly does not look like a C

Any ideas.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasha View Post
I have a message on my 2003 525i that does not go away when the car is turned on. My letters are pixelated, so I cannot make them all out. Help please

It says: T[M and then there's some numbers and letter and when I am driving those numbers are changing.

At first I thought it was TCM but it definetly does not look like a C

Any ideas.
There's not enough information to go on...especially without a picture that could give some additional clues (that you can see but we can't). If the warning starts with T[M...and there's some numbers & letters...what numbers & letters are shown?

Have you determined yet if it is a PRIORITY 1 or PRIORITY 2 warning (as mentioned back in post #34)? Do you have an owners manual? If you do, go check out the list of P1 & P2 warnings listed in your manual (look under CHECK CONTROL).

The status arrows & the ability to clear the message from the check control display will determine which type of warning it is. And if you are sure that the first letter (T) is correct, you can further deduce that the warning will be one that starts with a "T"
(SOLD)

Old 03-16-2014, 08:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 525i