Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-26-2013, 10:26 AM
karimsha karimsha is offline
BMW x3 2013 20i Black
Location: Egypt
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 129
Mein Auto: BMW 320i, BMW X3 20i 2013
X3 2013 brand new ... RPM dail not working!!!!! Please reply

Today was my first long ride with my brand new x320i... While I was driving and cruising at 140 kmh, I found the RPM Dial reading 0.. And When I acellerate it moves up to 1 or 1.5 maximum which is impossible .. However, when interned of the car and started it again, it read normally.. 15 minutes later, it failed reading again and back to zero ..

Any idea what's the reason for this, and is this something easy to fix like a software or so or is it a hardware issue .? And if it is a hard ware issue, is it normal tomfixmit or shall I ask for replacement .. The care is brand new with no license plates even ..

Please advice..

Thanks
__________________

BMW X3 20i, 2013, Black x Black . New
320i 2009 - Mineral Silver - Beige 44,000km .
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 01-26-2013, 10:29 AM
noka noka is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 339
Mein Auto: 2013 x35i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by karimsha View Post
Today was my first long ride with my brand new x320i... While I was driving and cruising at 140 kmh, I found the RPM Dial reading 0.. And When I acellerate it moves up to 1 or 1.5 maximum which is impossible .. However, when interned of the car and started it again, it read normally.. 15 minutes later, it failed reading again and back to zero ..

Any idea what's the reason for this, and is this something easy to fix like a software or so or is it a hardware issue .? And if it is a hard ware issue, is it normal tomfixmit or shall I ask for replacement .. The care is brand new with no license plates even ..

Please advice..

Thanks
First long ride with no license plates? Take it to the dealer and hopefully they can reproduce it. Otherwise, maybe make a short video on your phone, to show them. The cars are so complicated, it's difficult to say where the fault lies.
__________________
2013 x35i (Space Gray, MSport, CW/CWII, DHP, Premium, Premium Sound, Technology, BMW-Apps)
Retired:'09 C300 4Matic, '09 GTI, '06 750i, '05 C55, '04 R32, '03 M5, '02 GTI, 01 M5, '00 M-Coupe, '00 540i/6, '99 M3 Coupe, '98 M3 Coupe, '96 328i, ..., '86 4000CS Quattro, ... too many to list
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-26-2013, 10:42 AM
karimsha karimsha is offline
BMW x3 2013 20i Black
Location: Egypt
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 129
Mein Auto: BMW 320i, BMW X3 20i 2013
Thanks for replying

Thanks Noka for ur reply.. Regarding the plates issue , it's a traffic issue some documents didn't arrive' I was using a temp plates ..

Video is a good idea , but it was dark and on a high way so I didn't want to interrupt my self ..

What do you mean by reproducing it? Change the car u mean? Is it worth it?
__________________

BMW X3 20i, 2013, Black x Black . New
320i 2009 - Mineral Silver - Beige 44,000km .
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-26-2013, 11:29 AM
noka noka is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 339
Mein Auto: 2013 x35i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by karimsha View Post
What do you mean by reproducing it? Change the car u mean? Is it worth it?
I mean they will have a more difficult time fixing a problem that they cannot observe. By reproduce, I basically meant that it would be great if it was happening when you brought it in, so they could see it and have a better chance of diagnosing it.
__________________
2013 x35i (Space Gray, MSport, CW/CWII, DHP, Premium, Premium Sound, Technology, BMW-Apps)
Retired:'09 C300 4Matic, '09 GTI, '06 750i, '05 C55, '04 R32, '03 M5, '02 GTI, 01 M5, '00 M-Coupe, '00 540i/6, '99 M3 Coupe, '98 M3 Coupe, '96 328i, ..., '86 4000CS Quattro, ... too many to list
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-27-2013, 04:29 AM
karimsha karimsha is offline
BMW x3 2013 20i Black
Location: Egypt
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 129
Mein Auto: BMW 320i, BMW X3 20i 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by noka View Post
I mean they will have a more difficult time fixing a problem that they cannot observe. By reproduce, I basically meant that it would be great if it was happening when you brought it in, so they could see it and have a better chance of diagnosing it.
Hi,
I have took the car to the dealer this morning. I had another issue poped up which is a PUK sound while pressing the breaks ..
I can't believe it. a brand new BMW has all this in its first week and first 800 Kms..!!!

I was extremely tough with them and I conveyed the message clearly. if its crucial, I will need a replacement .. So i am waiting for the feed back and will let you know .

Cheers
__________________

BMW X3 20i, 2013, Black x Black . New
320i 2009 - Mineral Silver - Beige 44,000km .
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-27-2013, 08:15 AM
UncleJ UncleJ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Silicon Valley
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,501
Mein Auto: '06 X3
You should have no problem getting this fixed -- the tachometer (RPM dial) can be either mechanical or electronic -- I know it is electronic in the gas powered cars but am not sure if the diesels still use the mechanical drive -- since there is no spark ignition system. Good luck and let us know what it turned out to be.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-27-2013, 08:42 AM
c3uo c3uo is offline
Registered User
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 29
Mein Auto: Audi
Dumb question as I am not sure if this applies to diesels: Are you sure it's not the Auto Start-Stop working a designed?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-28-2013, 01:04 AM
karimsha karimsha is offline
BMW x3 2013 20i Black
Location: Egypt
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 129
Mein Auto: BMW 320i, BMW X3 20i 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3uo View Post
Dumb question as I am not sure if this applies to diesels: Are you sure it's not the Auto Start-Stop working a designed?
No it is not of course... I was cruising on a high way at 130 km/h when the RPM needle dropped to ZERO, while the engine sound was humming and I was acceleratiing and teh car responded and the RPM was not moving ..



My car engineis petrol not Disel.. the Dealer said that they will reprogram the car since it did not record any errors regarding the RPM.. I was supposed to pick it up yesterday night, however, they said that they will have to put it on the system for 7 hours with an open line with BMW Germany !! I really dont get what does this mean but it seems to be a husstle..

Moreover, I have a TOK sound when pressing the breaks when moving fornt and rear ... they as well couldn't find the reason for this..

I have filed a complaint to the customer service and copied BMW Germany explaining all the issues . I hope it is of a benifit
__________________

BMW X3 20i, 2013, Black x Black . New
320i 2009 - Mineral Silver - Beige 44,000km .
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-28-2013, 03:36 AM
noka noka is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 339
Mein Auto: 2013 x35i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by karimsha View Post
No it is not of course... I was cruising on a high way at 130 km/h when the RPM needle dropped to ZERO, while the engine sound was humming and I was acceleratiing and teh car responded and the RPM was not moving ..



My car engineis petrol not Disel.. the Dealer said that they will reprogram the car since it did not record any errors regarding the RPM.. I was supposed to pick it up yesterday night, however, they said that they will have to put it on the system for 7 hours with an open line with BMW Germany !! I really dont get what does this mean but it seems to be a husstle..

Moreover, I have a TOK sound when pressing the breaks when moving fornt and rear ... they as well couldn't find the reason for this..

I have filed a complaint to the customer service and copied BMW Germany explaining all the issues . I hope it is of a benifit
I don't know how the gauge attaches to get a signal but I can imagine some ribbon cable and, if I had to guess, I would say either a loose connection or bad wire in that cable. In any case, it could be a fairly simple fix if they can locate the fault.
__________________
2013 x35i (Space Gray, MSport, CW/CWII, DHP, Premium, Premium Sound, Technology, BMW-Apps)
Retired:'09 C300 4Matic, '09 GTI, '06 750i, '05 C55, '04 R32, '03 M5, '02 GTI, 01 M5, '00 M-Coupe, '00 540i/6, '99 M3 Coupe, '98 M3 Coupe, '96 328i, ..., '86 4000CS Quattro, ... too many to list
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-28-2013, 10:04 PM
UncleJ UncleJ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Silicon Valley
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,501
Mein Auto: '06 X3
kar, sorry I didn't know that BMW made a 2.0 gasser for the X3.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-31-2013, 10:36 AM
karimsha karimsha is offline
BMW x3 2013 20i Black
Location: Egypt
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 129
Mein Auto: BMW 320i, BMW X3 20i 2013
UPDATE SITUATION of the RPM Dial Issue

Hello There,
Sorry I was late busy at work and the car issue. I picked up my car last Tuesday night after the Engineer in Charge confirmed that a software update was performed to the car.. The RPM Dial Issue did not occur while testing the car although the drove it for 70kms. and they said it didn't happen... Anyways, I had some TOK sound while moving front and rear from the front breaks... A PUMA ticket was issued in 2011 saying that all the F25 Models has such sound whiel breaking during the first 2000 kms which disappears afterwards. The Guy let me try 2 brand new vehicles and YES they had the same sound ..

I took the car and drove 5 kms away from the service center, when the RPM needle dropped again ...

I called the center and took a video of it .. (check the video )

The second day, they called and told me that the head quarters in Germany approved replacing the cluster.... I said ... a Cluster .. in a Brand new Car .. No Way .. I wont accept my car to turn into an experiments vehicle>>> I sent a harsh mail to the German Customer Car with the Video ... and I asked for either a Brand new car, or Money Back ...

and Guess what.. They approved replacing the car , but Delivery in 15 days .. So I returned the car to the showroom yesterday and waiting for the New one .. that's Better isn't it ??

Cheers Bavarian Motor Works .
__________________

BMW X3 20i, 2013, Black x Black . New
320i 2009 - Mineral Silver - Beige 44,000km .
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-31-2013, 10:55 AM
gEEkChris gEEkChris is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Broomfield, CO
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 653
Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
You got a brand new car because the tach didn't work? That's impressive.
__________________
2012 X3 35i Premium/Technology/Cold

Retired:
2008 335xi
2006 330xi
2002 330xi
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-31-2013, 11:03 AM
karimsha karimsha is offline
BMW x3 2013 20i Black
Location: Egypt
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 129
Mein Auto: BMW 320i, BMW X3 20i 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by gEEkChris View Post
You got a brand new car because the tach didn't work? That's impressive.
I didn't use it ... it was 7 days old when the defect occurred, no registration yet made, and the error occurred at 600 km... and it spent 3 days in the service and it was not fixed .. They took the lump sum of Money ,,, Why should I accept a defected car ..

I bought a new car for my own peace of mind, not to jump in service centers every now and then .. that's my right ..
__________________

BMW X3 20i, 2013, Black x Black . New
320i 2009 - Mineral Silver - Beige 44,000km .
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-01-2013, 07:42 AM
UncleJ UncleJ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Silicon Valley
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,501
Mein Auto: '06 X3
I am impressed. A new car for a busted tach. Makes me wonder if there might have been more to the problem than the shop let on. Oh well, the good guys won one and that is great!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-02-2013, 01:17 AM
karimsha karimsha is offline
BMW x3 2013 20i Black
Location: Egypt
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 129
Mein Auto: BMW 320i, BMW X3 20i 2013
Exclamation That made me more worried as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
I am impressed. A new car for a busted tach. Makes me wonder if there might have been more to the problem than the shop let on. Oh well, the good guys won one and that is great!
Unclej, what you just said even came to my mind... As I mentioned the car stayed in service more than I drove it in 9 days, they were unable to trace the defect, and they report that it is not defected... What made me insist on replacing the care is that since this happens in 9 days, well what could happen in 9 months...!!! I have a believe, if something is defected from day 1 then it will be a trouble for the rest of the time .. Moreover, replacing the care approval took no sweat ...which even made me thought that the issue is beyond a tach...
__________________

BMW X3 20i, 2013, Black x Black . New
320i 2009 - Mineral Silver - Beige 44,000km .
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-02-2013, 07:52 AM
UncleJ UncleJ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Silicon Valley
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,501
Mein Auto: '06 X3
I think you are right about a troublesome car from day one! You are best out of it and it can be someone else's worry. I think we might be on to something about more problems than discussed though. Good luck and enjoy the new ride!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms