Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:03 PM

Mein Auto: M5 F10, frozen black
Code: Turn off ASD (Active Sound)

Hi all,

I'm new to this community and hope I'm not making any mistakes with this very first posting...
So here's my contribution: As the lucky owner of a new M5 F10 I needed a way to disable the 'Active Sound' module because it really disturbed me. Pulling the fuse was not an option as this disabled the complete sound system and removing the ASD box in the trunk would be to invasive.

That's what I did using E-Sys:
There's a special ASD module that has several preconditions before becoming active (see the 'Aktivbedingung' folder in the screenshot): Only certain models will activate the ASD. Those models are listed as functions, e.g. 'F010 true()'. So I looked a little bit lower in the tree and changed

3000 ASD-Configuration - Funktionen - Baureihe to F021

As you can see on the screenshot, the F21 model won't activate the ASD.

I made several tests and compared to pulling the fuse so I'm 100% sure this little modification really disabled the ASD in my car :-)

BTW, for those willing to change the sound: There's also an option 'Motor' where you can change the installed engine (for Diesel sound try N57D30). I haven't tested all these parameters - I'm glad that nasty module is switched off

Best regards
-dr-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	asd_baureihe.png
Views:	1618
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	359246  
Advertisement
Old 01-27-2013, 01:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by -dr- View Post
Hi all,

I'm new to this community and hope I'm not making any mistakes with this very first posting...
So here's my contribution: As the lucky owner of a new M5 F10 I needed a way to disable the 'Active Sound' module because it really disturbed me. Pulling the fuse was not an option as this disabled the complete sound system and removing the ASD box in the trunk would be to invasive.

There's a special ASD module that has several preconditions before becoming active (see the 'Aktivbedingung' folder in the screenshot): Only certain models will activate the ASD. Those models are listed as functions, e.g. 'F010 true()'. So I looked a little bit lower in the tree and changed

I made several tests and compared to pulling the fuse so I'm 100% sure this little modification really disabled the ASD in my car :-)

BTW, for those willing to change the sound: There's also an option 'Motor' where you can change the installed engine (for Diesel sound try N57D30). I haven't tested all these parameters - I'm glad that nasty module is switched off

Best regards
-dr-
I don't have an M5, but nice find.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 01-27-2013, 07:57 AM

Mein Auto: Everglades 243
Send me you ASD modul in the trunk to see if we can retro fit it on other models. If it works I'll buy it from you
Old 01-27-2013, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto: range rover
Great find!

I understand them putting it on the diesel, but I find it odd that they put it on the m5 as well. You would think the M cars would be loud enough.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:29 PM

Mein Auto: 650I
Just coded this and it worked without issues. Thanks!
Old 01-28-2013, 12:45 PM

@Travel4surf: Thanks to the information in this forum I don't have to rip the module out of the car because I can code it away ...and you do not want to hear the sound this module generates, believe me!

@jdco: Glad to read that it's working in other cars, too! It seems I'm not alone complaining about the fake sound :-)

Yes, the M5 is really loud enough. And without the ASD I can enjoy it even more because now I know it's real!
Old 01-28-2013, 02:32 PM

Mein Auto: LCI 550i Msport
Interesting.....I wonder if people that want it could just pick up the sound processor in the back of the car and have this coded to be on. 535 that sounds like a M5? lol

Alan

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||
Old 01-29-2013, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto: 650I
I love the sound of my M5.. It's definitely loud enough with my Gruppe intake and Akrapovic exhaust. ASD is lame imo
Old 01-31-2013, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Hi all,

Best regards
-dr-
What is the name of your ASD CAFD file?

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 01-31-2013, 09:18 PM

Mein Auto: f10 beast
can you turn UP active sound???

Quote:
Hi all,

Best regards
-dr-
Old 02-01-2013, 07:10 PM

Mein Auto: 116i
can anyone tell me what is ASD? lol
Old 02-01-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankren View Post
can anyone tell me what is ASD? lol
Active Sound Design.

"Behind this marketing term is a fairly simple idea. The new M5 reproduces the car's engine sound via the in-car audio system. In other word, if you're sitting inside the car you not only hear the engine coming from outside, but also an audio track of the engine based on throttle input, speed, and engine revs. As BMW puts it, this makes for better feedback as you hear exactly what the engine is doing. Another obvious benefit is that it allows to change the noise levels based on your driving behaviour as the reproduction by the audio system gets louder and more intense in Sport and Sport+ settings."

Old 02-01-2013, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Active Sound Design.

"Behind this marketing term is a fairly simple idea. The new M5 reproduces the car's engine sound via the in-car audio system. In other word, if you're sitting inside the car you not only hear the engine coming from outside, but also an audio track of the engine based on throttle input, speed, and engine revs. As BMW puts it, this makes for better feedback as you hear exactly what the engine is doing. Another obvious benefit is that it allows to change the noise levels based on your driving behaviour as the reproduction by the audio system gets louder and more intense in Sport and Sport+ settings."
Got it, thx
Old 02-01-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Active Sound Design.

btw, Can I enable ASD on F20? and How?
Old 02-01-2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
No. You need the ASD Hardware including the ECU.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:42 AM

Quote:
No. You need the ASD Hardware including the ECU.
all right, forget it~ hah
Old 02-02-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
What is the name of your ASD CAFD file?
Not sure if I got the right file: May it be CAFD_0000000F_005_024_233.ncd?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	asd.png
Views:	232
Size:	4.7 KB
ID:	360281  
Old 02-02-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugent View Post
Hi,

possibly... but I haven't tried it.
there's a key for the built-in audio system with several option ('TopHifi' in my case, others are 'Stereo', 'Hifi', 'Branded Hifi' and 'High End'). I'd assume that this adapts some frequencies so that the speakers are able to play the sound without distortion.

And then there's a key called 'Leistungsklasse'. I'm not sure what may be the proper english word for it: Something like 'performance class' or 'power class'. I have no clue what this key is triggering.
The options that one can set here don't help any further: 'ML', 'UL', 'KL' and 'OL'.
Perhaps 'M' stands for 'medium' and 'U' for lower (in german: 'Untere Leistungsklasse') so 'O' may be 'Obere Leistungsklasse' (upper class). If this guesswork is right, then OL may be louder than ML.

If there's a great demand for it, I could try out all those options...
Old 02-02-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
As far as I know, at least the M135i is equipped with such a module.
Here you may buy a spare part for about 230 USD:
http://www.leebmann24.de/bmw-ersatzteile

Perhaps it fits in other models, too...

Edit:
Here are the part numbers for the M5: http://www.leebmann24.de - M5
Looks like the newer models share the same part #65129289971 with the M135i.

Last edited by -dr-; 02-02-2013 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Added link for M5 spare part
Old 02-08-2013, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: '13 M135i
Quote:
As far as I know, at least the M135i is equipped with such a module.
Yup. I have the 5 door M135i (F20) and it has an ASD module - physically verified in case anybody doubts

Quote:
Hi all,

Best regards
-dr-
First - thank you very much for the find. The ASD in my M135 is not bothering me yet but it is nice to know where to look in case I want to silence it. Agreed that pulling fuses is no way to go (and on at least some cars the sound is looped via the ASD unit so unplugging it also kills the head unit sound).

But is is strange that selecting F21 body turns your ASD off - you also get a F21 (3 door 1 series) variant of the M135i and it has active sound. Perhaps the ASD recognised that is is mounted in the "wrong" type of car and then just shuts up?

LOL for a diesel M5!
Old 02-09-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deonvdw View Post
But is is strange that selecting F21 body turns your ASD off - you also get a F21 (3 door 1 series) variant of the M135i and it has active sound. Perhaps the ASD recognised that is is mounted in the "wrong" type of car and then just shuts up?
Maybe my car has a somewhat older firmware installed, compiled before the availability of ASD in an F21 (although my M5's built date is end of 2012...).
Perhaps in newer firmware versions there exists a new function 'F021 true()' and my workaround doesn't work anymore then. Currently the F21 model is the only selectable one that has no 'true' function in my configuration.

- I keep my fingers crossed that there will be another way of of deactivating the ASD if my car happens to get new firmware with an inspection!
Old 02-10-2013, 10:21 AM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Hi,

possibly... but I haven't tried it.
there's a key for the built-in audio system with several option ('TopHifi' in my case, others are 'Stereo', 'Hifi', 'Branded Hifi' and 'High End'). I'd assume that this adapts some frequencies so that the speakers are able to play the sound without distortion.

And then there's a key called 'Leistungsklasse'. I'm not sure what may be the proper english word for it: Something like 'performance class' or 'power class'. I have no clue what this key is triggering.
The options that one can set here don't help any further: 'ML', 'UL', 'KL' and 'OL'.
Perhaps 'M' stands for 'medium' and 'U' for lower (in german: 'Untere Leistungsklasse') so 'O' may be 'Obere Leistungsklasse' (upper class). If this guesswork is right, then OL may be louder than ML.

If there's a great demand for it, I could try out all those options...
I would be interested. I'd like to make the active sound louder on the M5.

2014 BMW///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe
Old 02-23-2013, 08:15 AM

Mein Auto: m550d
ASD Motor Option

Hi

What MOTOR option is programmed on a real M5? Would love to try it on my M550d...

Thanks
xpert
Old 02-23-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
I would be interested. I'd like to make the active sound louder on the M5.
Jut came back from experimenting...
When trying 'UL' the sound was a little bit more quiet but there was some more 'hammering' in the sound.
Trying out 'OL' made the sound deeper and more powerful. I'm not sure if it really was louder, too. But I think OL would be an option you should try out!
Old 02-23-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpert View Post
Hi

What MOTOR option is programmed on a real M5? Would love to try it on my M550d...

Thanks
xpert
Hi,

Motor=S63B44, Leistungsklasse=ML.
I'm curious if this works - and if the ASD is strong enough to overlay the diesel sound!