Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-02-2013, 11:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by halltristan View Post
I would rather be a dick than a 17 year old kid who drives too fast, blames a wreck on "black ice" and then gets online to cry to everyone. I mean he claims to have only been going 20 mph - bullsh!t. Anyone who actually takes this garbage seriously needs to have their head examined.

I asked for pics yesterday to try to help the OP out and we still haven't gotten any. At this point I think its all a lie to get attention.
Go get some twat.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:22 AM
Bimmer Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 325i and X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredreson View Post
Go get some twat.
Well you're around so I guess we have plenty.

Member No. 470379
Old 02-02-2013, 07:25 PM

Mein Auto: 03 330ci 3pdl 89 325i
Fellas fellas come on. No need to fight about it.

I did lol at that though.

Sent from my PantechP9060 using Bimmer App
Old 02-02-2013, 08:09 PM
Manualaholic

Mein Auto: 01 330Ci/94 530i
If you omit all the posts from halltristan, this thread might actually go someplace but downhill...

OP- please post some more details about the condition of the car (pictures if available). I would recommend taking it to a BMW mechanic with a good reputation and see what they say.

(Grocery Getter) 2002 525iT
Old 02-02-2013, 08:54 PM
Bimmer Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosefoot33 View Post
If you omit all the posts from halltristan, this thread might actually go someplace but downhill...

OP- please post some more details about the condition of the car (pictures if available). I would recommend taking it to a BMW mechanic with a good reputation and see what they say.
And so the next moron steps forward.

Take a look at all of the op's other posts and you will see that he makes threads like this al the time to get attention. Also notice how I already tried to get pictures but the op wont give us any. And the next time you want to make a smart ass comment do some research first.

Member No. 470379
Old 02-02-2013, 09:16 PM
Manualaholic

Mein Auto: 01 330Ci/94 530i
A moron assumes that black ice only affects bad drivers, and a moron suggests that if the pavement looks wet don't drive on it.

Not knowing your profession, I'd say you were the engineer that invented the 38* chime that BMWs are renowned for- you do good work.

This moron is bowing out and leaving the OP to the devices of our in-house genius. Good luck with the car indeed.

(Grocery Getter) 2002 525iT
Old 02-02-2013, 11:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by goosefoot33 View Post
A moron assumes that black ice only affects bad drivers, and a moron suggests that if the pavement looks wet don't drive on it.

Not knowing your profession, I'd say you were the engineer that invented the 38* chime that BMWs are renowned for- you do good work.

This moron is bowing out and leaving the OP to the devices of our in-house genius. Good luck with the car indeed.
i agree with this guy, black ice can affect anyone and i personally think it is one of the toughest road conditions to have to deal with, it doesnt get any more ignorant than "drive better if it looks wet dont drive on it." you cant always see it fast enought if driving at night
Old 02-03-2013, 02:20 AM
Bimmer Enthusiast

I sincerely doubt black ice had anything to do with the op and his car. In fact, looking at his other posts, I sincerely doubt he's being truthful at - a wreck never happened.

And it's nice of you to bimmerfest just to comment about me NICK GRAZ. That isn't obvious at all!

Member No. 470379

Last edited by halltristan; 02-03-2013 at 02:26 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 325i
Quote:
I sincerely doubt black ice had anything to do with the op and his car. In fact, looking at his other posts, I sincerely doubt he's being truthful at - a wreck never happened.

And it's nice of you to bimmerfest just to comment about me NICK GRAZ. That isn't obvious at all!
this just happened to be one of the first posts i saw, i do however agree with you that it is odd that there is no pics.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:55 PM
DIY Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 1999 323i ZSP
What's with all of this negative banter?

This is a forum site that is intended to help people. Not to bash on them.

I've received plenty of help on this site and this is the first time I've seen soo much negativity.

If he isn't being honest then the joke is on him...
However if he is then there is no need to dog him.
Sure everyone should slow down once in a while, and drive cautiously in wet conditions. That is a given.

OP. I've had to replace both front airbags (about $100 each) in my vehicle (99 323i) and I also had to replace both of my front seat buckles ($70 each) (they have an explosive charge that deploys when airbags deploy) I still need to replace the Positive Battery Cable Terminal Detonator ($140 on eBay).

I've purchased the Loftek B800 Bmw Srs Airbag Scan & Reset Tool from Amazon for $35, and it works good.

All in all. the replacements are VERY easy to do yourself! You can find very informative DIY procedures on this website if you use the search function.

GL buddy, I sincerely feel for you!
Old 02-03-2013, 09:26 PM

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP M/T
Quote:

this guy is a real piece of art

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Give a man a Chef and he feeds him for a lifetime
Old 02-03-2013, 11:12 PM
Bimmer Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by heztheone View Post
this guy is a real piece of art
Think what you want but I'm still right. No pics from op, the whole thing was a lie to get attention. I'm not naive like some of you are.

Just look up the other posts from the op. everything that could have ever happened to a car has with him- it's impossible. He's a troll. Every so often he makes something up to get attention.

Member No. 470379

Last edited by halltristan; 02-03-2013 at 11:14 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:13 AM

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP M/T
troll or not, it's not like he's asking dumb questions or flooding the forum.
he barely has 100 posts and his inquiries are legit, so either way his threads would be beneficial to others who would search threads with similar issues.
and that is a problem exactly... how ?

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Give a man a Chef and he feeds him for a lifetime
Old 02-04-2013, 06:26 AM
Bimmer Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by heztheone View Post
and that is a problem exactly... how ?
There are other people who actually do need help. And I have better things to do myself. Maybe you have all sorts of time to babysit. I don't.

Member No. 470379
Old 02-04-2013, 07:18 AM
XIL

Mein Auto: 2002 325xi
Sorry for not posting pictures, but I haven't had time to get them.

& @hall I'm not entirely sure what you mean by a "17 year old kid", but you've been
Quote:
making an ass out of you and umption
for a while here.
a) I'm not a child.
b) I'm not a 17 year old child.
c) If you're attempting to say that anyone other than me has been paying for this, again, see the quote above.
My money is the only money that has gone into this car. I'm also not entirely sure why your initial reaction is so hostile, but honestly, the only question I really asked was why it was so incredibly expensive to get airbags replaced. I made no excuses. It's a commonly accepted fact that had I been driving more cautiously, this likely would have never happened. My car is at the local imports shop at the moment and they're going to be getting back to me with an estimate by the "end of today" I was told. I've been working 8-10 hours a day minus Sunday (yesterday), so I haven't had time to run by there and get pictures (I had it towed there immediately afterwards). They are the ones that quoted me exorbitant fee of $3000 for the airbags. I appreciate everyones willingness to help. I will likely be able to post some up this evening.. also... @hall why would I troll about this? Who would it benefit? Lol you reacted like I put Armor All on the tread of my tires. And I've posted videos and pictures on my other inquiries, so in what way were those posts trolls?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris328 View Post
dude what is that in your sig are you some kind of hacker bro.
Haha I work in IT Security, it's a chunk of a PoC I was working with.

Dreaming of the ///M.

Last edited by bimcwe; 02-05-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:27 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
So it is really quite simple. You can easily replace the airbags with used units. They cost less than $100 each. Replacing them isn't magic, it is a simple matter of bolting them on and plugging them back in. Then have the car airbag light reset and you are good to go. If you need A pillars and door cards it could cost you another $200 for those too. Again, easy fixes. I have a junkyard I use that will have all those parts, if you want to get the parts, PM me and I'll help you get good parts.

Nuff said.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 02-04-2013, 12:51 PM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimcwe View Post
Slid on some black ice into a curb while leaving work the other day. Only damage cosmetic wise is to my drivers side front wheel, chipped the rim. But it broke the ball joint and likely other things.. the wheel moves freely left to right if you push it. But... the side airbags deployed. I just got the estimate back at $3,000. I'm afraid that that + the repairs is may leave me with insurance totaling the car.
WHY ARE AIRBAGS SO EXPENSIVE? I always heard people joke about hitting a deep pothole and totaling their car, but I thought it was an exaggeration. This is nuts.
In Illinois you MUST surrender the vehicle to your Ins. Co. if it's 8 years old or less, so you should be able to make a deal with them to keep your car. Check with your insurance company to see what they have to say, And last week we had freezing rain in Chicago. Believe it or not, it's a b*tch to drive at ANY speed on ice, I know have done it for many years.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2002, 325I
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT View Post
I currently own a 66 Mustang convertible and a 87 VW Vanagon Camper neither have any airbags. So if you can't afford to replace the airbags you will need to make the decision if you "need" them. Just my 2 cents.
if there is not air the dashboard will lit and the car will not pass an inspection