Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-26-2013, 12:33 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 528i
Unhappy e39 no control from drivers door module

My daughter recently purchased a 98 528i. The car needed a clutch which I installed. Since the clutch install, the drivers door control module will not function at all. I've checked fuses with no luck. And there appears to be battery voltage at the module. I can't imagine how the clutch replacement work could have caused this problem, but the timing seems too coincidental to NOT be the cause. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Advertisement
Old 01-26-2013, 01:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 528i; 2010 550i
Hi,
does the drivers side window work from the drivers door module?
Does the central lock button lock/unlock all the doors? Do the switches on the rear doors move the rear windows?
Old 01-26-2013, 02:51 PM

No, there are no functions operating using the drivers door module. The central lock/unlock works for all door other than the drivers door??
Old 01-26-2013, 02:52 PM

Oh and Yes, the rear windows operate from the rear door switches..?
Old 01-28-2013, 01:27 AM

The answers to my questions just proved that the general module is working fine including the P-BUS which is the communication line to the module.
The issue is pointing to the drivers door module only and it must be a coincidence that this happened after the clutch job. Maybe you discharged the battery while working on the car.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:02 AM

Acoste, thank you for taking the time to help me with this. A couple of other potential factors... I didn't discharge the battery but did disconnect the neg terminal prior to performing the clutch change. Also, the drivers door, inside door handle was broken, my son swapped it with the handle on the drivers side passenger door just prior to the clutch job. I wonder if this could have had an impact?? Another factor, not sure how critical, is the drivers door will not lock, even when using the key on the outside. ?? thanks again for your kind assistance. Jjs.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:39 AM

You can mechanically lock the door from outside with the key by turning it 90 degree. It might need a mild force.

I can suggest basic things to check, further investigation needs an oscilloscope.
First thing is the fuse 29 at the glove box (and maybe 27).
The drivers door module has 3 connectors. Pin 1 on the 5-pin connector is the voltage supply and pin 2 is the ground. The P-BUS line should have 12 Volts (if no one is using the line) which is the 11th pin on the 18-pin connector. These are the very minimum requirements for the module to work (after locking and unlocking the car).
Old 01-30-2013, 09:56 AM

Mein Auto: BMW e39
HI,
I also had the similar problem - the driver's door doesn't want to lock with the central lock, only can operate the driver window,and mirror but the other windows and the passenger mirror -not. The other windows operate from the passengers doors swiches and lock with the central locking.
The fuses are ok, but there was a problem with the connector of the drivers door - the bolt that connect the plastic cover of the conector was missing and probably a water pass thru and two of the pins were rusted. I clean them but the problem stays.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:43 AM

Hi Nakoye, your problem is definitely the P-BUS connection between the drivers door module and the general module. Search for the P-BUS line on that connector and make sure it's o.k. Even if it looks nice, it might have some oxide on it making the resistance higher. Contact spray helps.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:59 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoste View Post
Hi Nakoye, your problem is definitely the P-BUS connection between the drivers door module and the general module. Search for the P-BUS line on that connector and make sure it's o.k. Even if it looks nice, it might have some oxide on it making the resistance higher. Contact spray helps.
Hello Acoste,
thank you for your help, but I think that i made a big mistake with that contact spray and the cleaning procedure, because I made a spark between two pins(I forgot to remove the battery) - how I can understand if I burn something and how to reapair the problem. Thank you again.

Last edited by nakoye; 01-30-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:14 PM

Hi Nakoye, could you identify which wires were shorted? The 6 pin connector or the 10 pin? Hopefully the contact spray evaporates faster when having a spark and didn't make any damage.
Check the fuse 29.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:18 PM

Check if you have interior lights on the doors, night lights on the buttons and check if the lock button on the center console works.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Check if you have interior lights on the doors, night lights on the buttons and check if the lock button on the center console works.
Fuse 29 is ok, the light are working, and if you mean the button that lock the car from inside - it works- it lock the car except the drivers door.

Last edited by nakoye; 01-30-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:41 PM

o.k. good! No damage then.

Back to the initial issue, I would grab a multimeter and check the P-BUS line from the drivers door module to the general module. If all good, then next step is capturing the signals with oscilloscope.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
o.k. good! No damage then.

Back to the initial issue, I would grab a multimeter and check the P-BUS line from the drivers door module to the general module. If all good, then next step is capturing the signals with oscilloscope.
ok, tomorrow I'll chek again all pins and will write down the results. Thank you again for your time and help.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:20 AM

It doesn't work, I check again fuse 29 and clean the connector of the drivers door, I aslo check the volage comming from the car - 12V. I'm out of ideas. Could it be the dirvers door module and how to check it?
Old 02-02-2013, 05:58 AM

I checked the voltages on pins 1 & 2 of the 5 pin (good reading) and on Pin 11 (P Bus) of the 18 pin connector, also a good reading (11 vdc engine off, 13 vdc engine running). Interesting that the drivers door will NOT lock with the key? Don't know if that's a factor or not?? thanks again for your help!!
Old 02-02-2013, 06:40 AM
BMW CCA 69606

Mein Auto: '10 535iA, '00 528iTM
For odd electrical problems, sometimes disconnecting the battery for an hour, or overnight if possible, helps. When you re-connect, make an effort to avoid "bouncing" the connection. "Bouncing" sends an on-off-on 12v spike into the electrical system, and can sometimes cause problems with modules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjsnymd View Post
I checked the voltages on pins 1 & 2 of the 5 pin (good reading) and on Pin 11 (P Bus) of the 18 pin connector, also a good reading (11 vdc engine off, 13 vdc engine running). Interesting that the drivers door will NOT lock with the key? Don't know if that's a factor or not?? thanks again for your help!!
Old 02-02-2013, 12:53 PM

Hi Jjsnymd,
if you are not able to lock the door outside by turning the key 90 degree, then you have a mechanical problem.
I'm thinking that there is something screwed up at the locking drive of the drivers door and the switches which check if the door is locked or not are stuck in the locked position. Therefore the drivers door module believes the car is locked and denies any window operation. And when it receives a signal to open the drivers door it can't do it because of the issue with the locking drive or the lock itself.

See the schematic I attached and measure the position of the S47 door switch on the 7th and 9th pin of the 18 pin connector.
And you can also measure the voltages on the pin 1,10,16 on the 18 pin connector to see if the locking drive receives the required voltage from the drivers door module when you try to unlock the door with the center console button for example.

EDIT:
First I thought the module is checking the lock status by the S47 door switch, but no, the locking sensor switch must be the mounted in the locking drive. I guess that is the pin16 on the drivers door module (pin 3 on drivers door locking drive).
The S47 switch is pressed when using the key in the lock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drivers_lock.png
Views:	150
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	360304  

Last edited by acoste; 02-02-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:05 AM

Thumbs up

Hi friends,
my problem is solved, after 2 hours of looking at the door and all connections I found that one of the pins is missing - it has rusted and when I open it for first time it broke and I find the remainings of it in the connector. When I replace it everything start working.
Thank you very much for your help again.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:23 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 528I
i have the same problem my 98 bmw driver door doesn't work i can't lock it with the key nor the remote it happened after i forgot my front passenger window down overnight and it rained and the car got soak, I've checked all fuses they seems to be ok but the driver door won't control the review mirrors nor the other doors window won't even lock
Old 09-20-2013, 05:05 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 323i
e39 no control from drivers door module

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwing528 View Post
i have the same problem my 98 bmw driver door doesn't work i can't lock it with the key nor the remote it happened after i forgot my front passenger window down overnight and it rained and the car got soak, I've checked all fuses they seems to be ok but the driver door won't control the review mirrors nor the other doors window won't even lock
You probably have a water damaged PM-BT module in the passenger door. Disconnect the module and a lot of the functionality from the driver's master control should return.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app