Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-01-2013, 10:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 525i station wagon
Concerning vacuum--In the crankcase--you want as much as possible--I have been running full vacuum for over 2 years and my valve cover gasket has held up fine--With the CCV system, it limits vacuum into the crankcase and pressure from blow by at the pistons cause's the engine to use oil--with full vacuum the bottom rings are helped with sealing and the oil useage is diminished.
When removing the oil filler cap on my engine at idle--it's a job--there is lots of vacuum and it makes it hard to pull off----Maine82--I think you had your PVC hooked up properly the first time--when you turned it around the engine built up pressure and blew out your valve cover gasket--that's the way I'm seeing it--if you could blow through one side readily--the other side is the side that needs to be hooked up towards the intake manifold--it needs to pull vacuum--it will only limit when there is a backfire from the intake and keep the backfire from going down into the crankcase---that's the way they are designed--If the engine does not have good vac, the crankcase will build up pressure and cause all sorts of problems--Hope that helps
Old 02-01-2013, 11:04 AM

Send a message via MSN to bmwmanz2 Send a message via Yahoo to bmwmanz2
Mein Auto: E39 528i
Very interesting. Let me know if you get those codes off and what you did. Thanks for the write up!
Old 02-02-2013, 12:30 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
So... I am ready to do this mod but I am unsure what do do as far as hooking up the catch can. The only pics I have seen is of setup where people have a distribution system... my car is a 1997 528i and doesn't have a distribution system? Because of this I have no idea of how to route the hoses...? Here is a pic from realoem of how my ccv system is setup.

Can someone please tell me how to route my lines? Also, on my ccv setup I have a vacuum line that runs from the ccv to the fuel pressure regulator, what should I do to this vacuum line, should I cap it at the FPR or connect it somewhere else. I believe its function is to supply more fuel at higher rpm as sensed from the ccv diaphragm. Thanks in advance for the help, I am hoping to do this today
Old 02-02-2013, 02:40 PM

Coletrain--where does #3 hook up on your engine--I'm thinking that it hook's up to the air intake and then goes into the throttle body--if that is correct, here's what you need to do--hook up you catch can into the hose going to you valve cover and then you need to find a different vacuum source--on my intake manifold there is a large vacuum port that is blocked off--if your intake has one of those you can run your PVC valve using the port discribed--run the hose from the intake over to your catch can with the PVC on that hose allowing full vacuum into the can and then the crankcase--
On the fuel regulator--I would just cap off all of the ports of your CCV except the hose going to the regulator and then hook that back up the way it came from the factory--all ove the hoses are blocked and then you will still have vacuum going to the reg---Hope that helps
Old 02-02-2013, 05:32 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
Pool man - I will check to see if I have a port on the intake to tie into. If I do find a port, which direction does my pcv valve need to face (toward the intake or the catch can)? Also, if I cap off all of the ports on the CCV and leave the vaccum line to the FPR connected, how will the FPR receive any vacuum? Wouldn't the vacuum be generated from the intake through the CCV to the FPR? I am not disagreeing with your suggestion, I am extremely thankful for it, I am just trying to understand :-)
Old 02-02-2013, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto: 530I/5SC 97-528/5
Quote:
Also, on my ccv setup I have a vacuum line that runs from the ccv to the fuel pressure regulator, what should I do to this vacuum line, should I cap it at the FPR or connect it somewhere else
No, you should not cap it at the FPR. You should connect it to the intake manifold, look around under the IM you may find a port for it that has been capped off.

Quote:
I believe its function is to supply more fuel at higher rpm as sensed from the ccv diaphragm. Thanks in advance for the help, I am hoping to do this today
I believe its function is to strengthen the RPM at idle not at higher RPM. Without this vacuum your idle will be a tag lower and sensitive.

Oh BTW, your car is an M52 engine, you should not have to go oil catch can don't do it.

Last edited by 16valex; 02-02-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:22 PM
wat's dat noise

Mein Auto: '04 525i
mine's an m52 and this is how i connected my oil catch tank...........

the 3rd pic is how i connected the oil catch can drain to the main ccv drain...
the 4th pic... the hose that goes under the intake manifold connects to the ccv...

essentially i have 2 oil separators in series...the original ccv and the retrofitted aftermarket oil catch tank..

why i did this:
1. i have excessive blowby gasses which wets the throttle body till it drips out at the flanges
2. i also have excessive plumes of smoke at start ups
3. my oil consumption is approx 1 qt every 1000miles

yes perhaps i am just buying time until the inevitable happens.

right now problem #1 ie TB weeping is fixed.problem #2 is greatly reduced tho it is still a puffer .problem 3 is still apparent tho i am still monitoring the consumption....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130120_155740.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	360506   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130120_155749.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	360507   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130120_155929.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	360508   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130120_161358.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	360509  

Last edited by moots; 02-02-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:39 AM

On Coletrains M52--as our M54 engines the fuel pressure regulator is activated by negitive pressure produced through the air going into the engine through the air bonnet before it gets to the throttlebody--that's why I stated--cap off all of the points on his CCV except where it hooks to his pressure reg and and then hook it all back into the incoming air duct--The PVC valve I use is like from an old Ford 6 cylinder car--if you can blow freely into one side of it--the other side is the side that is hooked into the intake vacuum source.. You want full vacuum intoduced into the crankcase for two reason's--One, to help seal the lower oil rings on the pistons and two, to keep from pressure building up in the crankcase and blowing out a valve cover gasket or worse yet cracking a valve cover-
Hope that helps---on our M54 engine--there is a small hose that goes to the F connector on the incoming air duct that pulls vacuum to our pressure reg--this is similar to the M52 except the hose in that case is hooked to the CCV--I'm thinking that if you hook the hose to a port on the intake--you will be burning rich at idle---
I strongly disagree with hooking any type of oil drainback up on one of these catch can's--I tried it once and was lucky enough to catch it in time to keep from hydrolocking my engine from the oil the system had started to pull up into the intake manifold--there is so little oil in the catch can that your only going to get a few tablespoons out from time to time when you empty it anyway--there's no need to experiment with something that could damage your engine in this way
Hope that helps
Old 04-01-2013, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw 325Ci
Hi guys, i want to start of by saying thank you for all the information, greatly appreciated!

I was starting to change my CCV since its broken, when i found this information and i want to do this build instead, but i've not been able to find a Catch can with 19mm fittings, and my question is simply if i would use a 10mm can, would that restrict the flow and essentially ruin this install?

Thank you so much in advance, i understand the knowledge on this may be a bit thin since not so many people run catch cans, but any and all information is welcome!

//New Swedish member!
Old 04-22-2013, 05:54 AM

Mein Auto: E39 523i 1999
Is that a catch can? Yes it is. Goodbye CCV

Hi there, here are my setup....

I use a 3/4" vacuum hose 300psi + PCV + clamps + catch can oil like the OP and thats it.......

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by jdjg; 04-22-2013 at 05:56 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:18 AM

but I still have an issue..... I have oil from my motor oil cap ;(.........

Old 04-22-2013, 11:16 AM

Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjg View Post
but I still have an issue..... I have oil from my motor oil cap ;(.........

???
What about the oil from your oil filler cap...?

Also, I think the OP found that it was better to utilize BOTH inlets to the Air Distribution Piece in order for the car to run correctly...
Old 04-22-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
???
What about the oil from your oil filler cap...?

Also, I think the OP found that it was better to utilize BOTH inlets to the Air Distribution Piece in order for the car to run correctly...

Jason here are the oil that came out from the motor oil cap...... this is not normal........ I open the second inlet in the Intake Manifold and nothing.....

here are a little video
http://s656.photobucket.com/user/jos...271BD.mp4.html

maybe in need to use a thinner hoses?, I use 3/4" and 5/8".....

Last edited by jdjg; 04-22-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
Quote:
Jason here are the oil that came out from the motor oil cap......
This is not normal........
I open the second inlet in the Intake Manifold and nothing.....

Maybe I need to use a thinner hoses?
I used 3/4" and 5/8".....
Jdjg,

It looks like you are getting positive vacuum/ pressure back into the Valve Cover...!
This is the OPPOSITE, of how your system should work.

You need to fix this ASAP, because you will most likely blow ALL of you seals/ gaskets (valve cover, oil pan gasket, and rear main seal...)...!

I am guessing/ theorizing that you installed your inline-hose-check-valve BACKWARDS/ in the WRONG direction, thus, moving vacuum in the wrong direction/ towards the Valve Cover/ Engine Head.

I would also look into using simple rubber hoses to make installation easier, and a more clean look...
3/4" and 5/8" hoses are fine.
I am looking to use 3/4" ID hoses.

You might try moving your Catch Can location near/ next to the passenger side cabin filter duct...
That way, you can route the hoses back and away from the front of the engine, and help keep the can and hoses more warm to prevent condensation or freeze-up...

Last edited by Jason5driver; 04-24-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
Jdjg,

It looks like you are getting positive vacuum/ pressure back into the Valve Cover...!
This is the OPPOSITE, of how your system should work.

You need to fix this ASAP, because you will most likely blow ALL of you seals/ gaskets (valve cover, oil pan gasket, and rear main seal...)...!

I am guessing/ theorizing that you installed your inline-hose-check-valve BACKWARDS/ in the WRONG direction, thus, moving vacuum in the wrong direction/ towards the Valve Cover/ Engine Head.

I would also look into using simple rubber hoses to make installation easier, and a more clean look...
3/4" and 5/8" hoses are fine.
I am looking to use 3/4" ID hoses.

You might try moving your Catch Can location near/ next to the passenger side cabin filter duct...
That way, you can route the hoses back and away from the front of the engine, and help keep the can and hoses more warm to prevent condensation or freeze-up...
Hi Jason, thank you for your respond...

Ok, the PCV are installed correctly for sure, believe me.....
I use those hoses because the rubber hoses are so weak with my vacuum and pressure from my crankcase, so I need a more robust and stronger hoses......

I'm start thinking that I have a terrible and excessive blow by in my motor...... and need to replace my new pistons rings.....

Old 05-08-2013, 07:21 PM

finally, today i did the Leak down test and the compression test....
I have less than 5% of leak in each cylinder.... so my rings are OK.....
and I have a very good compression numbers, between 165 and 195 psi......
here are the photos

after I install the catch can between the CCV and the return oil to the dipstick, no more oil consumption......

Old 05-20-2013, 05:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
I'm at 148k miles now and the car is running very strong still. I emptied the can after about 4000 miles of driving, mostly short drives, and about half a cup of sludge came out. The intake tube leading to the intake manifold is clean and dry, zero oil residue, so the catch can is doing its job as well as the PCV valve.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:59 PM
wat's dat noise

jdjg,
i noticed that you have a connector between yr hose and catch tank and the diamter looks small.to make this work the inner diameter shud be constant thru out or othyerwise vaccum will not be sufficient.
effectively you shud have vacuum when you remove the oil filler cap...if you have pressure,then you are not donig it right and youu will blow some seals very soon.....
Old 05-20-2013, 07:14 PM

With the engine at idle--the oil cap should be a hard to remove--if you don't have vacuum at the cap,,, then something is wrong. I bought a new PVC valve the other day and replaced my old one--car felt fine,,,but I started to use oil again--I checked and the PVC wasn't supplying as much vacuum to the crankcase as the old one was--I cleaned my old PVC valve and put in back in place and all is well again---you might need to find another valve that will work for you---heck,, you might get by without even running one with the can and all--question--you did make sure that the line on your dipstick that went to your CCV system has been capped off ---if not your loosing all your vacuum through the crankcase from that line being open.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moots View Post
jdjg,
i noticed that you have a connector between yr hose and catch tank and the diamter looks small.to make this work the inner diameter shud be constant thru out or othyerwise vaccum will not be sufficient.
effectively you shud have vacuum when you remove the oil filler cap...if you have pressure,then you are not donig it right and youu will blow some seals very soon.....
Hi moots, thanks for your advice, but by the end of the day, I install a new OEM ccv system in my car, and put the catch can between the CCV and the dipstick, problem solve, no more oil consumption, no more excessive blow by in my motor, everything looks and run great!!!

Old 05-22-2013, 04:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530 Sport Twins
Quote:
Hi moots, thanks for your advice, but by the end of the day, I install a new OEM ccv system in my car, and put the catch can between the CCV and the dipstick, problem solve, no more oil consumption, no more excessive blow by in my motor, everything looks and run great!!!

So I Implemented CNN idea with modified oil catch thread 149, New OE Ccv and small connector between Ccv and manifold and
No more oil consuming for me as well for the last 1000 miles
Not sure what exactly fixed the oil consuming ...

Last edited by champaign777; 05-22-2013 at 05:19 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champaign777 View Post
Same here
Oil catch can ,OE Ccv and small connector between Ccv and manifold and
No more oil consuming for the last 1000 miles
Hi Igor, what small connector between CCV and manifold?
Old 05-22-2013, 06:08 AM
wat's dat noise

Quote:

hi...can you describe how you connected the can btween the ccv and dipstick?pics will do great....
Old 05-22-2013, 07:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530 Sport Twins
Quote:
Hi Igor, what small connector between CCV and manifold?
Old story my friend ...
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=7535486
Old 08-01-2013, 07:03 AM

Mein Auto: 320i M54B22 02' with LPG
Hello again,

I'll try to describe my own life and death struggle with M54 oil consumption issue.

1. mileage: 190 kkm 118 kmls- oil consuption 1l/2000 km, oil: BMW OE oil 5W30 LL04
2. 200 kkm 124 kmls- oil consuption 1l/3000 km, oil: Mobil1 0W40 New Life
Changed CCV to OE Winter Version, and oil filter base gasket and valve cover gasket
3. 220 kkm 136 kmls to now (250 kkm-155 kmls) oil consuption 1l/10000 km, oil: Valvoline 5W50 VR1

Now, my little BMW devours only 1l. from oil service to oil service, but I change my oil every ~10000-11000km (7000 mls).