Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 01-05-2011, 03:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 5-series
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inline Sixer View Post
I'm not sure if these guys ever think at all...

But you bring up a good point Ant.
they think too much : P
Old 01-12-2011, 12:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 530i
damn, that sucks, I'm sorry for the people who got their cars key'd, I feel for you....I just got a BM and I park it as far away as I can from everyone else, my logic is, the closer I am to the crowd of cars the more prone I am to someone backing up to close or turning their wheels to sharp and thus my baby gets a fender bender, but it seems now that I'm in a lose-lose situation. F'ing idiots, they just can't comprehend that fact that it was hard work that put us a BMW in the first place, but I believe in Karma.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:09 PM

Mein Auto: A Car
I parked the BMW once in a crowded mall, choosing a wide SPOT with 1 side empty, when i come back, someone CRASHED (Lightly) on my 2 LEFT PASSENGER DOORS.
The scratch started almost at the beginning of the front passenger door until almost the end of the rear passenger door and it wasn't 1 single scratch, it was like a dozen scratches like in a crash. FU PEOPLE AT MALLS.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 530xi, 2005 X3
That sucks. Did you file a police report for vandalism or criminal mischief? I love having a nice car and its just something we have to deal with. What I started doing when doing to the mall is park in the most visible area to the stores. I also try not to attract too much attention. I know thats hard when you have a BMW but in my area I have seen guys with fancy tricked out Hyundais taking up 2 spots to protect their $5,000 investment lol.
I also park by the high end stores even though Im cutting through the mall to shop. Those stores always have the most security patrols, well lit areas and nice cars which bring nice people. Also dont park near the bus stop area of the mall. Hope that helps.

Last edited by DBSonic74; 01-12-2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 35x
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBSonic74 View Post
taking up 2 spots
Guaranteed method for getting your car keyed.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:18 PM

Mein Auto: m5
Sorry to hear that,man,,, and,! i always take up 2 spots if i can,but do it in the way that looks like i parked just on the line of the second spot by mistake(bad parking job) so nobody wants to squeze in the spot next to me. ps before i did that i had an angry driver of and old black limo tinted Eclass keyed, some one jumped on the hood of my car! rolled a shopping cart into my M5 parked all the way in the back of the parking lot(just on purpose!) or in the mall if i park further away from anybody some assh@le would park so close that i can't even open the door! after all that i don't even care how many spots i take
Old 01-13-2011, 06:06 AM

Mein Auto: 550i E60
Quote:
Originally Posted by 550I_Addict View Post
So I was spending time with my wife and daughter on New Year's day; we went to eat and then she wanted to go to the mall to check out some sales. Being paranoid as I am, I didn't want to go to the mall on a day as busy as New Year's day because I didn't want to get my car dinged up by inconsiderate mall goers. I decided what the heck, she wanted to go and I figured I could check out some things as I hardly ever shop. So I find a nice parking spot on the end of an isle where only one side of my car is in danger of being door dinged. We go in and shop and leave the mall and once I get home, I notice a 2 foot plus key mark on the passenger side door and fender. There are actually 2 marks, 1 appears to only have scratched the clear coat surface (about 18 inches in length), but the 2 foot plus scratch I described is DEEP...all the way to the metal. I can't believe these assholes roam the earth in numbers. I haven't had this car but 5 weeks and baby it like crazy, parking in the middle of no where so I don't get door dinged and some pathetic human being gets a thrill out of keying this beautiful vehicle. I will post pictures once I get a chance. I am sick to my stomach every time I walk to my car and look at it. Now I have to drop money that I would have liked to spend on getting 166 style wheels on repairing the scratches.
well, first of all I'm sorry for what happened to you. I myself own a 550i fully loaded and, from where I stand it seems that these events happen every time one buys a great car, he loves it much and, more than that, in the firs months of ownership. It sound ridiculous, but believe me it is true (we somehow project our fears to it and so **** happens). I said "we" because I bought my 550i 4 months ago, and 80 days ago a young girl cut my path while overpassing other cars (miraculously only my front right wheel was a little bit affected); 40 days ago, some guy (coincidently I first had met 10 days before) came into my office asking me about the "blue bmw" as he scratched it with his car unintentionally (he was quite an honorable one as he searched me, his victim). 2 events, none was my fault.
When I bought the last 530i, 4 years ago, 10 days after I bought it I discovered it in the parking are with rear light broken...believe me...it is true...
Old 01-13-2011, 06:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
i concur. taking up 2 spots is a sure fire way to attract unwanted attention and convey a sense of "i'm better than you".

interesting mentality about parking and people. i will purposely park relatively far away and pretty isolated in a mall parking lot that is generally quiet yet someone will always either park next or near to you. similarly you could be sitting in a pretty empty bus or subway train and yet people will always sit near you despite having the whole bus/train empty to themselves.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:31 PM

Mein Auto: 04 645ci Black/Black 6spd
i had both of my bmws keyed in the past - my 330ci and my 645ci. its painful. depending on how many panels they got it can be an expensive fix and if its deep its not cheap. i did get one fixed at maaco (the 2nd time) and they did a very good job at a very good price. at first i though my car was too high end for maaco but they do bmws all the time (its really not that difficult).
Old 02-02-2013, 02:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550xi M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by w5lx View Post
There are some really sick psychopaths running around in our society. Most of them likely resent that you own a nice car and they don't.
"They don't want what you have; they just don't want you to have it." - words of wisdom
Old 02-03-2013, 07:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
My e36 328i totalled when it was keyed a few years back. I still had a dealer drive out tag on it when someone decided to scrape off my hellrot paint off of every panel. The only panels they missed were the rocker covers. The quote to repaint it was about $6k+.

Sold - 2003 325i Sedan Japanrot 5 Speed 8k Xenon Headlamps Build Date 11/02
Old 02-04-2013, 05:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 550I
One time my car was parked at the supermarkets parking lot. When I was approaching to my car I noticed a kid like 5 years old from the other car that was parked next to mine opened his door really hard and hit my passenger door in front of me. The damage was a scratch with a small bump, I got so mad but really couldn't do or say anything, he is a kid one day I guess he will learn.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:02 AM

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
talking about taking 2-spots for parking it never wise eventhough sometimes the jerk-ahole who likes to key someone car may not got the whole story.

I used to work for a company where office parking lot sits next to park-n-ride, one time a co-worker came in to work on saturday; knowing no-one would be in since the office close he took 2-spot (the spots are on the office property). The overflow cars to watch college game spilled over in that afternoon to the office property, and saw what they thought was a rich guy on new Lexus LS430 and decided to do a number of it.

So I never take two spots wherever I park cause right or truth etc means nothing when dealing with people who are prejudice. even when they encroach on someone property they always though they are right.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i M Sport Alpine
Quote:
Originally Posted by w5lx View Post
There are some really sick psychopaths running around in our society. Most of them likely resent that you own a nice car and they don't.
And a certain political party in the US inspires resentment with their "fair share" mantra. My used '08 535 likely cost me less than the good old boy top of the line trucks out there , but they don't realize it!
Old 02-04-2013, 08:12 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E39
Just last week shopping at Walmart. Parked my car away from other cars except one car two spots away. When I came back that car was not there anymore but there was a shopping cart close to my car. He/she must have moved it after letting it go and whacking my passenger door with it. Contacted my paintless dent repair guy who works at a local Bimmer dealership and he will fix it for me next week.
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1360037517927.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	360849

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App

Last edited by BM109R; 02-04-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:07 AM

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM109R View Post
Just last week shopping at Walmart. Parked my car away from other cars except one car two spots away. When I came back that car was not there anymore but there was a shopping cart close to my car. He/she must have moved it after letting it go and whacking my passenger door with it. Contacted my paintless dent repair guy who works at a local Bimmer dealership and he will fix it for me next week.
Attachment 360849

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
That's why I stop shopping at Walmart, for Mobil-1 0-40 that alot of times on sale for $4 over there, cause at the end I don't save money.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
Security Cameras are your friend!! Park near them so police can get the DVR files for evidence when you file a report. Security cameras protect your cars also at home. Bad people want easy prey. Cameras make it too complicated and dangerous so they go for another car.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:35 AM
Living in Fast Forward

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW E63 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 550I_Addict View Post
So I was spending time with my wife and daughter on New Year's day; we went to eat and then she wanted to go to the mall to check out some sales. Being paranoid as I am, I didn't want to go to the mall on a day as busy as New Year's day because I didn't want to get my car dinged up by inconsiderate mall goers. I decided what the heck, she wanted to go and I figured I could check out some things as I hardly ever shop. So I find a nice parking spot on the end of an isle where only one side of my car is in danger of being door dinged. We go in and shop and leave the mall and once I get home, I notice a 2 foot plus key mark on the passenger side door and fender. There are actually 2 marks, 1 appears to only have scratched the clear coat surface (about 18 inches in length), but the 2 foot plus scratch I described is DEEP...all the way to the metal. I can't believe these assholes roam the earth in numbers. I haven't had this car but 5 weeks and baby it like crazy, parking in the middle of no where so I don't get door dinged and some pathetic human being gets a thrill out of keying this beautiful vehicle. I will post pictures once I get a chance. I am sick to my stomach every time I walk to my car and look at it. Now I have to drop money that I would have liked to spend on getting 166 style wheels on repairing the scratches.
Sorry to hear about that. At least they didn't break into the car and steal valuables. Last year, some sick individual broke into my uncle's E90 335i and thankfully, he was in a restaurant with 4 kids instead of being robbed.