Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 02-02-2013, 10:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 740i
Still no heat! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

I replaced my t-stat yesterday. Before I did this my upper radiator house was blowing off, now that problem is fixed. The new issue is that I'm not getting heat. My expansion tank is full I have bleed the system, there is no bubbles coming out if the bleeder screw. When I started the car this morning it had heat and came up to temp fine then I was driving for 5 or 10 minutes and heat goes away and temp gage goes up, then drops back to middle where it normally stays when at idle warm or highway/city driving.I have no clue what is going on if it was the water control valve wouldn't I not get any heat at all. I'm super stumped PLEASE HELP

Sent from my DROID4 using Bimmer App
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2013, 11:16 AM

Mein Auto: E38 740il
You still have air in the system

Bleeding the air out can be a long process. Eventually it will correct (hot and cold mornings) or you can try bleeding it again.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:39 AM

Yeah I see that my upper hose keeps blowing off. I don't get it. Starting to get frustrated!

Old 02-02-2013, 02:39 PM

Mein Auto: 740il
I have had the same issue. A couple of things. Take the radiator cap off over night. Fill the next day and repeat daily.

Also I found out that I have some very small leaks on hoses behind the engine. Any leaks will cause your issue.

Good luck.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:51 AM

Mein Auto: 95' 740iL w/ M60
I've somewhat had the same issue without the hose blowing off. It's my heater control valve. It's in the engine compartment mounted to the firewall & it's directly before the heater core.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:06 PM

Yes i am getting heat hotter then ever now. I had a part of the plastic piece break off in my hose. Its hard to explain. But there is clamps from factory then the metal clip on the plastic part odd the hoses. Well there is a flare inside on the plastic piece that holds the hose on it with that aluminum ring. Since that flared piece of the plastic part of the hose broke it has no grip to hold on. No matter how tight the hose clap is. New hose 21 and it should be fixed!