Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-02-2013, 09:33 PM
akaMomo's Avatar
akaMomo akaMomo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 247
Mein Auto: 335i F30 M-Sport
fans not auto like previous models?

When I have my climate set to auto I find that the fan selection (the five bars) is still manual. From my E90 and E46 when the climate control was set to auto it was a matter of the temperature setting and then the blue/red wheel. The fan regulated automatically unless over-rided to manual. It seems in the F30 that the fan is always a user-set manual level. Am I missing something or is this the new setup? Thanks!
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 02-02-2013, 09:44 PM
BlackDog316 BlackDog316 is offline
Blackdog316
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 16
Mein Auto: 2012 328i
Agree. A major shortcoming. The fan in Auto mode should adjust automatically. Duh.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-02-2013, 09:45 PM
henrycyao henrycyao is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Bay Area, California
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 401
Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaMomo View Post
When I have my climate set to auto I find that the fan selection (the five bars) is still manual. From my E90 and E46 when the climate control was set to auto it was a matter of the temperature setting and then the blue/red wheel. The fan regulated automatically unless over-rided to manual. It seems in the F30 that the fan is always a user-set manual level. Am I missing something or is this the new setup? Thanks!
In the brief time I had with 328, the climate does switch to lower fan once temperature has settled down. I set it to AUTO and crank up the fan to max 5 bar. The fan may not sound like it has crank down but it did. I also fooled around with the manual fan setting to see what max feels like. There is definitely a difference.
__________________
2012 BMW X5 Vermilion Red Xdrive35d with Premium Package, 3rd Row Seats, and Adaptive Drive



Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-02-2013, 10:45 PM
tturedraider's Avatar
tturedraider tturedraider is offline
Freedom isn't free!!
Location: Chicago, north shore (via Tennessee & Texas)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 15,428
Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaMomo View Post
When I have my climate set to auto I find that the fan selection (the five bars) is still manual. From my E90 and E46 when the climate control was set to auto it was a matter of the temperature setting and then the blue/red wheel. The fan regulated automatically unless over-riden to manual. It seems in the F30 that the fan is always a user-set manual level. Am I missing something or is this the new setup? Thanks!
The fan is automatic, but there has been a change. Have you read your owner's manual?
__________________

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-02-2013, 10:49 PM
imtjm imtjm is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: VA
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 366
Mein Auto: 335
My experience has been to the contrary: my F30 works the same as my e90 in auto mode. I keep it on the 3rd bar, but it doesn't matter since the fan operates automatically even though the bars will not increase or decrease in auto mode like it did in my e46. In manual mode, the F30 and e90 fan worked manually so the bars is what you select. Again, in auto mode, you will not see the bars increasing or decreasing as the blower adjusts to the temperature you set. At least they don't in either my e90 or F30.

Last edited by imtjm; 02-02-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-02-2013, 11:24 PM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is offline
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,994
Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Not perfect, but think of it this way:

The new bar system allows you to set the level of MAXIMUM fan strength that YOU allow.

So it's 10 degrees outside. I have the bar in the middle. I have both thermostats set at 80 degrees. I get in the cold car. Once the engine has produced enough hot air, the fan will blow at the middle strength until the cabin has reached 80 degrees at which point it will automatically lower the fan speed and then raise/lower to maintain that temperature. But it will never exceed the middle fan strength.

If you crank the heat up to 84 degrees, boom, the system ignores your middle setting and the fans go to the max as if you'd set the bar there to begin with.

If the car isn't getting up to 80 quickly enough, boom, you can tap-tap-tap the fan strength up to the highest setting and then adjust it down later.

BJ
__________________

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-02-2013, 11:26 PM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is offline
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,994
Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog316 View Post
Agree. A major shortcoming. The fan in Auto mode should adjust automatically. Duh.
No. First, you're misunderstanding. In AUTO, the car does indeed adjust the fan speed automatically, but it will not exceed your setting (ie middle bar).

It's actually much better than the older systems. The older systems had two variables that you had to manage yourself (temperature, fan speed) and the new system only has one variable (temperature).

Here is how I handle it for Summer and Winter:

Summer:

Fan speed bar set to the middle.
Temperature set to 68 degrees.
Color wheel set to blue.

When I enter the hot car, I tap MAX to get the AC pumping (60 degrees, fans at top speed), then tap AUTO to go back to my settings (68 degrees, middle bar) when the car is at a comfortable temperature. I leave those settings alone and spend all summer simply toggling between the MAX and AUTO buttons.

Winter:

Fan speed bar set to middle.
Temperature set to 68 degrees.
Color wheel set to 75% red.

When I enter the cold car, I spin both wheels to 84 degrees (the equivalent of the MAX button in summer: 84 degrees, fans at top speed). Once the car has reached a comfortable temperature, I spin both wheels down to 68 degrees (defaults back down to my middle bar fan speed). I spend all winter simply spinning the thermostat wheels from 68 to 84 degrees.

Try this. It's very simple. Only two actions required all summer or all winter. Summer = toggle MAX and AUTO. Winter= spin thermostats from 84 to 68.

BJ
__________________

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 02-02-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-03-2013, 01:57 AM
EddieB's Avatar
EddieB EddieB is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Woodland Hills
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 743
Mein Auto: '13 335i M-Sport 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
No. First, you're misunderstanding. In AUTO, the car does indeed adjust the fan speed automatically, but it will not exceed your setting (ie middle bar).

It's actually much better than the older systems. The older systems had two variables that you had to manage yourself (temperature, fan speed) and the new system only has one variable (temperature).

Here is how I handle it for Summer and Winter:

Summer:

Fan speed bar set to the middle.
Temperature set to 68 degrees.
Color wheel set to blue.

When I enter the hot car, I tap MAX to get the AC pumping (60 degrees, fans at top speed), then tap AUTO to go back to my settings (68 degrees, middle bar) when the car is at a comfortable temperature. I leave those settings alone and spend all summer simply toggling between the MAX and AUTO buttons.

Winter:

Fan speed bar set to middle.
Temperature set to 68 degrees.
Color wheel set to 75% red.

When I enter the cold car, I spin both wheels to 84 degrees (the equivalent of the MAX button in summer: 84 degrees, fans at top speed). Once the car has reached a comfortable temperature, I spin both wheels down to 68 degrees (defaults back down to my middle bar fan speed). I spend all winter simply spinning the thermostat wheels from 68 to 84 degrees.

Try this. It's very simple. Only two actions required all summer or all winter. Summer = toggle MAX and AUTO. Winter= spin thermostats from 84 to 68.

BJ
Yes 68° is the sweet spot summer and winter.
__________________
F30 Sapphire Black 335i 6MT|2PE|4AB|ZDH|5AC|LCSW|ZMM|ZPP|ZCW|ZDA|ZDB|ZTP|4 15|688 Dinan Stage 1 Suspension and Shockware ECU tune
Previously - F30 335i, E46 M3, E39 530i, E46 325i
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-03-2013, 02:00 AM
krash's Avatar
krash krash is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,703
Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Since I'm on the phone a lot, I really like the idea of being able to control the fan independently from the temp setting when in auto mode.

When the fan is on high, it's really a problem when you're trying to talk to people. The fan is simply way too loud when cranked.

Right now, if I'm on the phone in the summer, I always find myself scrambling to lower the fan setting or raising the temp to keep the fan quiet while I'm trying to talk.

They probably modified this based on customer feedback (from people like me). Not sure, but I doubt I'm the only one who spends a lot of time on conference calls while driving.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, I can now leave it in auto mode and put a cap on the maximum output of the fan. That's sounds great.
__________________
2013 335i: Sport Line, Premium, Technology, DHP, HK, 8 Speed Sport w/Paddles, Heated Seats, PDC, Camera
2004 330ci: zhp, Premium, Dinan upgrades (various)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-03-2013, 02:13 AM
BlackDog316 BlackDog316 is offline
Blackdog316
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 16
Mein Auto: 2012 328i
Every car I have had with AUTO setting would not require touching the fan speed.
In the winter if it is set to 68 degrees nothing would happen until the car warmed up a bit, then it would automatically blow hard for a while with warm air. After a short time the fan would move to a slower speed and maintain the temperature.
Similarly in the summer, cool air would blow hard until the desired temperature was reached, then the fan would settle to a slower speed to maintain that temperature.
The manual does say that the Auto setting controls the volume, but it seems like the driver must set the fan limit.
If I am understanding the comments, it sounds like the driver sets the fan speed limit. So if it is set to level 3, and on Auto the fan speed will adjust, but not exceed level 3. Is that correct ?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-03-2013, 06:01 AM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is offline
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,994
Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post

Right now, if I'm on the phone in the summer, I always find myself scrambling to lower the fan setting or raising the temp to keep the fan quiet while I'm trying to talk.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, I can now leave it in auto mode and put a cap on the maximum output of the fan. That's sounds great.
Yes. That is correct.

BMW does a lousy job explaining it but its a very important change for the better. You'll be happy to know that the fans are far quieter than the E90 and you get cooler/warmer faster because the vents are larger and higher up due to the new LCD allowing less clutter on the center stack. So, more airflow = less thrust necessary = quieter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog316 View Post

If I am understanding the comments, it sounds like the driver sets the fan speed limit. So if it is set to level 3, and on Auto the fan speed will adjust, but not exceed level 3. Is that correct ?
Yes. The exception is when you deliberately max-out because its very hot or very cold and you need to get to 68 as quickly as possible.

In spring and fall, without such extremes, you never have to touch anything, just set at 68 and middle bar. I've gone months without touching the climate controls in those time periods.

And for summer and winter, again keep at 68 and middle bar and when you first enter a very hot/cold car only two actions required. Summer = toggle MAX and AUTO. Winter= toggle thermostats from 84 to 68. Hitting MAX (summer) or spinning to 84 (winter) automatically jacks the fans to top speed, and tapping MAX again (summer) or spinning to 68 (winter) once your comfortable automatically takes the fan back down to middle-bar levels.

When you first get your car, set fan speed to middle bar and never touch it again.

BJ
__________________

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 02-03-2013 at 06:08 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms