Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645ci
iDrive Knob Spinning Out of Control

The iDrive control knob in my 645ci sometimes gets a mind of it's own and spins out of control. I have to slam my hand down on the knob for it to stop spinning. Has anyone experienced this before? If so, is there anything I can do to try and resolve the issue?
Ads by Google
Old 02-05-2013, 08:10 AM
Living in Fast Forward

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW E63 650i
I'm not very good with electronics, but I would have reputable Indy check it out for you.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Well, you need to hope it isn't a bad controller!

You should try to pop off the knob (straight up), get some electrical contact cleaner, spray it into the contacts and spin it. Even start up the car and let it spin on it's own. In the past this has fixed this problem, but no guarantee!
Old 02-05-2013, 01:50 PM
Michael

Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
Hi if it is the controller it is easy to change, have seen them for sale on Ebay!!!!

Does my bum look good in this !
Old 02-12-2013, 10:00 AM

I have the same problem. I plan on removing the unit and doing a complete wash down with electrical contact cleaner, in hopes of eliminating any bad connections due to corrosion. I have a feeling the previous owner may have left the top down in the rain. Is there any problem with disconnecting the controller with the car shut off? I am sure it is better to disconnect the negative cable on the battery. Is there any problem with disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery? I just got this car. My first bimmer!?!
Old 02-18-2013, 02:51 PM

swapped the controller

I was able to pick up a used iDrive controller from eBay $200 USD. I took the time to change it out this weekend. It took me 2-3 hours to replace it. It doesnt spin freely anymore!
Old 02-18-2013, 05:57 PM
David

Mein Auto: E63 M6 & E92 335i
I had this problem on my old 750i two times. The first time it lasted for a few days. Knob would spin on its own, and if i tried to turn it it would go crazy. Car was a CPO so the electric components would not be covered. I finally came across a thread saying to hold down very firmly on the knob for thirty seconds. I did this and the knob went back to normal. Eight or so months later I had the same thing happen. Pushed the knob down firmly and it went away. Not sure why or how this works, but this simple act kept me out of the shop twice.

2008 E63 M6 - Black Sapphire - Sepang Bronze Full Merino - Carbon Fiber Trim - Alcantera Headliner - SMG - HUD - Soft Close Doors - Comfort Access - Individual Audio w/Sat and HD Radio
2009 E92 335i - Black Sapphire - Black Dakota - Burl Walnut - Sport - Premium - Cold Weather - Navigation - L7 - Comfort Access - Smoker's Package

Member: BMWCCA #471614