Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 04-19-2011, 06:44 AM

Mein Auto: x5
oil leak - back of the engine

guys first time poster but been following these forums for quite a while.
I have a 2003 x5 4.4
anyway just been under the car recently and noticed that the rubber "flap" which looks like it is a inspection plate
there is some oil leaking from this location,
if i remove the "bung, flap" and cleaned it there is some oil hanging around and some drops of oil.
any idea
thanks
Ads by Google
Old 04-19-2011, 01:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbu10 View Post
guys first time poster but been following these forums for quite a while.
I have a 2003 x5 4.4
anyway just been under the car recently and noticed that the rubber "flap" which looks like it is a inspection plate
there is some oil leaking from this location,
if i remove the "bung, flap" and cleaned it there is some oil hanging around and some drops of oil.
any idea
thanks
I say this many times but to be sure, pressure wash under the car, check oil dipstick in the morning when engine cold. Top it of if not max, then a week later recheck the level. if you loosing oil time to check for leak, this V8 has many problems, valve-cover, upper timing chain cover, oil filter housing, hope not main seal where the trans has to come out which means mucho dollaro/peso.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:08 PM

Mein Auto: x5
ok cleaned up the engine (bottom) so quite clean
but have been looking at this for the last 6 hours and all the post from varios bmw sources.
Quite a few have said could be a valve cover gasket seals dripping down and there is a picture of some one elses and looks very similar to what i am seeing.
But
i have tried getting under the car to see if leaking from there but a no way of seeing into that area directly from the top or the bottom that i can see as covered by a large pan cover going from one side of the car to the other protecting the engine (can i remove this will i get a better view then ?)
thanks
Old 04-19-2011, 03:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbu10 View Post
ok cleaned up the engine (bottom) so quite clean
but have been looking at this for the last 6 hours and all the post from varios bmw sources.
Quite a few have said could be a valve cover gasket seals dripping down and there is a picture of some one elses and looks very similar to what i am seeing.
But
i have tried getting under the car to see if leaking from there but a no way of seeing into that area directly from the top or the bottom that i can see as covered by a large pan cover going from one side of the car to the other protecting the engine (can i remove this will i get a better view then ?)
thanks
You can remove the belly pan(the black plastic), there are about 13 screws 8mm and 10mm hex to see better but it's still kinda hard to pinpoint the oil leak.
I'll use brake cleaner if I were you, with the belly pan off, spray from the engine bay outside the garage. be careful it's rather strong solvent.

Almost always you'll need valve-cover gasket, I just did mine. To check remove the spark-plugs closest to firewall if you see oil in the plug well you need to replace the valve-cover gasket for sure.
Other leak I am not worry about unless you are loosing 1 quart in 2 weeks or less, with leaky VC-gasket though it'll foul your plug then you get misfire which is not good.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:07 PM

Mein Auto: X5 2004
hi; just read and jumping in on your thread (please); i have a 2003 x5 4.4 with engine oil dripping down from some where at rear of engine above transmission - it appears to be coming from below rocket cover gasket - has anyone got idea where could be coming from and how to axcess
many thanks - les
could any reply be sent direct to my new zealand email address

fugle@xtra.co.nz
Old 02-07-2014, 03:29 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 323Ci Convertible
can anyone tell me ball park cost of a main seal replacement?? 2005 X5 4.4
Old 03-04-2014, 07:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 x5
I am also jumping in as I have a similar issue with a bit of oil in the plug wells. Is it hard to replace the valve cover gaskets and are there any threads that detail this?
Old 03-08-2014, 04:59 AM

Mein Auto:
My car doing same **** it actually is coming from your engine through the kinda like a cv joint it has lost its oil it's a problem but save money right now so you can get that fixed when it gets worse will sound like your cv joints are ****ed not to mention your losing oil every time you drive it

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app