Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:54 PM
Woo Hoo FREE Donuts

Mein Auto: 2004 645Ci Convertible
DIY or a Shop....Decisions, Decisions

When I was in the Philippines, Dealership was the Obvious choice. Great service, Great work, and dirt cheap prices. Those guys were exceptional and the work was top notch.

Here in Cambodia it's not so cut and dry. Labor is dirt cheap but there isn't a TRUE BMW dealership here. There is the "Top Shop" that works on BMWs, Mercs, Lambos and such but just looking at the shop makes me not want to drop off my car for such detailed repairs. Sure they will guarantee the work but I get that feeling that something will be missed and now I have more problems. They have done my oil changes and the work was great but digging further into my engine has me hesitating.

I plan to replace Valve cover gaskets, Timing cover gaskets, CCV valves, plugs and coils and a few other things. Parts are sitting in a box. I am a certified ASE mech and don't see any problems doing the work myself (except this killer heat) but being spoiled by the Philippines has me not wanting to turn any wrenches.

My question....for the Lazy and qualified guys like me what would you do? How frustrating will it be to do all of this at once? My car can sit for weeks as I have other transportation but mainly mosquitoes and heat have me wanting to defer this to someone else.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 650i Convertible
If you are like me I want every bolt and nut back on and tightened to spec. If you have time and the resources then go for it. But to find cheap labor and good work I would let them do it.
In the states its hard to find time to do it yourself. Also the dealers charge an arm and a leg and sometimes your first born child to do anything. So I would let them do it and if it doesn't work out complain!
Old 02-05-2013, 06:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Trust is a difficult thing in repairs, I would think if the "top shop" has those caliber of cars you will be fine. Being handy with a wrench or tools in general and having a history of doing my own work means that I am capable of many things in everyday life. I can tear down my bathroom and rebuild from the studs up, I can strip my jetski down to the crank and rebuild the motor, I can pull down my Jeep's tranny to replace the clutch, the list goes on. Yet some of the items on this list I leave to those who do it everyday for speed and convenience.

There comes a point when I cannot do everything that I am capable of, if I did try to then it would take FOREVER to get through them all, I don't how it is with you. Sometimes the sheer cost of the labor vs my time forces my frugalness to kick in and I do it myself. But if I had the cheap labor like you I would definitely not spend hours upon hours with these repairs. No matter your qualifications it is a difficult and frustrating job (from what I have read) because of how tight and interconnected all the parts are.

Good luck!
Old 02-05-2013, 08:09 AM
Living in Fast Forward

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW E63 650i
If this "top shop" has serviced high end cars as the OP mentioned, then you should be fine. However, nothing beats a DIY, as you would personally know the car best. Other than that, the OP should be fine as there are individuals in Phnom Penh with luxury cars.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:06 PM
Woo Hoo FREE Donuts

Mein Auto: 2004 645Ci Convertible
So just to test my self I went out in the garage and starting jacking the car up.

"BAM"......mosuito bite

"I can do this"... I say to my self.

"BAM"......another mosquito takes a chunk

With the heat like it is sweat was already starting to soak my shirt and I still had 3 tires to set on the stands.

"BAM".......I must taste good or something

Wife calls so I go into the house. A/C hits me like a hammer and I start to chill up with the sweat soaked in my shirt.

Next thing you know......"Hello Ratanak, Yes I would like to make an appointment to bring my car in".......LOL

I'm turning into a wuss......LOL
Old 02-05-2013, 03:27 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 650i Convertible
That was good story! I feel for you I worked in Taiwan and it was like hell.
You did the right thing, people don't understand till they see first hand. Keep your blood in your body it's not the Mosquitos to take.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
If your labor is cheap & the craftsman ship is good, let them do it. You would most likely be carried off by the mosquitoes by the time you would be done. A 16 hour job in high heat, is no fun!
Old 02-05-2013, 11:46 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
I love working on my own cars but in your situation I would definitely be bringing the car in. Cheap labor plus crazy humidity makes it a no-brainer.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 02-06-2013, 06:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Agreed, this was a no brainer!