Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-31-2013, 07:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 330ci 3pdl 89 325i
Also cogitations to say that I paid around 1 grand total and already sold the auto box for $650 so I am only minus $350 for the swap.

Sent from my PantechP9060 using Bimmer App
Old 02-01-2013, 08:13 AM
L4P

Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
WOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! Good times man!. Can't wait to see a vid of it and when they SC kit is on!. Good work my friend.
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Old 02-01-2013, 10:55 AM

So I may need to do a diff swap lol

Old 02-01-2013, 01:32 PM
L4P

Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerT View Post
So I may need to do a diff swap lol

yeah I tried like 3 different diffs until I found one I liked. Tried a 3.64 that was to much! then a 3.38 and then finally put a 3.07 on an was very happy with it.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:04 PM

yeah it is just so much fun with the 3.38 though It pulls so hard through 3rd I am up to 70/80 so quick. I would gander that I am doing 0 to 60 in mid to high 5s when I pull good shifts. Car is just a whole new animal. However because of this and a supercharger on the way I am worried it may be over kill. I am hitting about 30 in first before I can think about shifting to second which then as soon as I get into second and put my foot down it is time for third. also doing about 2,700 RPM at 60 in 5th. I took a really ****ty video that I had absolute horrible shifting in that I will post up soon.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:36 PM

Okay guys here's the first vid. I made this after about 20 mins of driving it. My shifting is god awful because I was trying to focus on getting a good video which I also did poorly at. Car is a mess, feel free to poke fun at my shifting and my missing shift boot.

Also turn it up to hear my nasty exhaust
Old 02-01-2013, 03:48 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Quote:
yeah it is just so much fun with the 3.38 though It pulls so hard through 3rd I am up to 70/80 so quick. I would gander that I am doing 0 to 60 in mid to high 5s when I pull good shifts. Car is just a whole new animal. However because of this and a supercharger on the way I am worried it may be over kill. I am hitting about 30 in first before I can think about shifting to second which then as soon as I get into second and put my foot down it is time for third. also doing about 2,700 RPM at 60 in 5th. I took a really ****ty video that I had absolute horrible shifting in that I will post up soon.
When you add the SC, you will get used to the speed really fast. When I drove a 911 turbo in Germany, I thought I was going to die the first time I hit 150. An hour later, it was no big deal. The SC will add a lot to the car, although in the porker that I drove, there was a lot of lag that no longer exists in modern cars. When you get the car sorted, you are going to have a blast! Remember, the fun is in the journey, not necessarily in arriving at your destination. You are having fun right? That's all that matters. BTW do you have a short shift kit in the car? If not, get one. Your shifting will be MUCH faster once you get the hang of it. I test drove an S2000 a few years back, and it took me a while to get my mojo back, and I drove a stick for over 20 years. It's like riding a bike.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:05 AM

Its not the speed that gets me its the rapid shifting with the 3.38 rear. I am used to a racecar that does 0 to sh!t your pants in less than 3 seconds at 15k rpm but you never have to use the clutch and its a sequential shifter. It takes longer to shift into second than it takes me to get through 1st.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:50 PM

VIDEO UPDATE!!

Old 02-04-2013, 09:39 AM
The Arch Bishop

Mein Auto: 2003 325i, 1986 535i
Quote:
If you are serious about doing it shoot me a pm. There are three really good full diys online. A key part that I missed out on is having ALL of what you need before starting if you want it done in a timely manner.

I might take you up on this. First I might have to find a beater to cruise back and forth to work in though. Really toying around with the idea for a project in the summer months.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:24 AM

If you get everything together and have a friend the mechanical side will only take a weekend

Old 02-06-2013, 07:59 AM
L4P

Nice man!. Glad your happy with the swap. If you ever want to program it and need the SA codes I can get them for you as long as you provide me with your old SA code. I recommend using an autologic computer to do the programming.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV View Post
Nice man!. Glad your happy with the swap. If you ever want to program it and need the SA codes I can get them for you as long as you provide me with your old SA code. I recommend using an autologic computer to do the programming.
Thanks Mal
Old 02-14-2013, 09:23 AM

Update: I am loving the swap!! Yes being at almost 3k rpm going 65 is a bit annoying but the car is just so fun now that I am back into good shifting mode. 0-50 only take around 5ish seconds its that shift into 3rd that makes 60 take a bit linger but no one actually races 0-60 lol.

With the new wheels and tires I am getting a lot more grip and better feel. The nitto extreems are insane! But for almost 1k for 4 they better be

Old 03-25-2013, 07:30 AM

Well the kit I wanted was sold two days before my guy stood trial, which is hilariously annoying. However hope is not lost! The Moses I think about it though, I am getting these terrible ideas to do a motor swap instead..

Old 04-02-2013, 03:12 PM

So Mal has convinced me that turbos are a better platform for the m54. I am also toying with the idea of a moddest engine swap. Not the S54 but an m62tu for all of the torque. I have looked into it and it seems that the m62 is not an insane electrical nightmare mainly the ews needs to be reprogrammed. The steering rack needs to be tucked and sway bar relocated. My main goal is 300rw ft/lbs as some of you know I don't give a rip about HP its just an advertisement for the most part. I am leaning more towards Turbo charging right now. My reasons are that I can start off with a low mild tune running low boost until I decode to reinforce things then up the power a bit. I could run two tunes one to put around when I don't want to ride my bike to work and one to run it like piss. It would be far less labor aswell yet a little less reliable. As far as price goes they both probably have the same end cost but if done carefully the Turbo kit can be done pretty cheaply. I would build my own with a standalone oil system and run megasquirt 3 software. With that i could run the two tune I want like 6psi and 8psi I could do a lot of tuning on my own. I would run a Garrett Turbo probably smaller for better low end boost. Then after I build up the rest of the car down the road I could add a tune that would be balls to the wall but that would be down the road a bit. Also since I want to strip and track the car a Turbo would be lighter.

Thoughts?

Old 04-02-2013, 03:22 PM
L4P

Quote:
So Mal has convinced me that turbos are a better platform for the m54. I am also toying with the idea of a moddest engine swap. Not the S54 but an m62tu for all of the torque. I have looked into it and it seems that the m62 is not an insane electrical nightmare mainly the ews needs to be reprogrammed. The steering rack needs to be tucked and sway bar relocated. My main goal is 300rw ft/lbs as some of you know I don't give a rip about HP its just an advertisement for the most part. I am leaning more towards Turbo charging right now. My reasons are that I can start off with a low mild tune running low boost until I decode to reinforce things then up the power a bit. I could run two tunes one to put around when I don't want to ride my bike to work and one to run it like piss. It would be far less labor aswell yet a little less reliable. As far as price goes they both probably have the same end cost but if done carefully the Turbo kit can be done pretty cheaply. I would build my own with a standalone oil system and run megasquirt 3 software. With that i could run the two tune I want like 6psi and 8psi I could do a lot of tuning on my own. I would run a Garrett Turbo probably smaller for better low end boost. Then after I build up the rest of the car down the road I could add a tune that would be balls to the wall but that would be down the road a bit. Also since I want to strip and track the car a Turbo would be lighter.

Thoughts?

You already know me thoughts TURBO FTW!. I think if you take the time and really the patience you can price out your own turbo kit to be very inexpensive. Of course you will need to get the headers custom built and so forth. But other than that room isn't a problem for the turbos on an M54.. I mean there's so much damn room under there for turbos with the cats gone. I suspect the hard part is just going to be the tuning.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:48 PM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Mein Auto: E30 with an S52
Quote:

Thoughts?

Technique Tuning's Stage 2. ~375 WHP, ~370 WTQ.

Costly? Yes. Already put together to save you [some] time and energy? Yes.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:48 PM
L4P

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
Technique Tuning's Stage 2. ~375 WHP, ~370 WTQ.

Costly? Yes. Already put together to save you [some] time and energy? Yes.
Not enough power. And with 6k the cost of that kit? you could make a 10x better kit for 6k jesus.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:12 PM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Mein Auto: E30 with an S52
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV View Post
Not enough power. And with 6k the cost of that kit? you could make a 10x better kit for 6k jesus.
375 WHP is a damn fast car. What can the M54B30 handle?
Old 04-02-2013, 04:40 PM

Look at then I want to Fab my own kit that is the stuff I am good at. Very good point on handling it that is why I would like to start at low power. Then work up.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:43 PM
L4P

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
375 WHP is a damn fast car. What can the M54B30 handle?
Honestly after I'm done with my 3.0L bore out to 3.2L rebuild? I'm going for 500hp. So will see what happens.

Quote:
Look at then I want to Fab my own kit that is the stuff I am good at. Very good point on handling it that is why I would like to start at low power. Then work up.

Yeah I remember you mentioning your really good at fabrication so with that said. Building your own kit is a no brainer.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:51 PM

Yeah when I did the swap if you remember. O had to make a lot of things work. The clutch system is almost completely my madness. I found a good Turbo source and am looking at a garret 50 trim then found all kinds of Turbo manifolds so I just need wiring piping IC and tuning I bet I can do it for 3K I mean hell after I sell my driveshafts I will have done my trans swap for almost free

Old 04-02-2013, 04:55 PM
L4P

Quote:
Yeah when I did the swap if you remember. O had to make a lot of things work. The clutch system is almost completely my madness. I found a good Turbo source and am looking at a garret 50 trim then found all kinds of Turbo manifolds so I just need wiring piping IC and tuning I bet I can do it for 3K I mean hell after I sell my driveshafts I will have done my trans swap for almost free

Exactly! that's the beauty of it. A lot of people don't understand that if you really want FI you can do your own custom kits to make it SO much cheaper. You know you might want to even look at a k04 turbo. handles tons of power and it's rather cheap. Plus there's plenty of rebuilt kits for them so it's easy to maintain.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:14 PM

Like I said the most expensive thing will be buying megasquirt and then after trying it all out eventually getting on a cynical and getting a professional tune done. My goal again is 300 wheel tourque and leave it be until I can build the motor and rear end.