Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-06-2013, 05:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 x5
Unhappy 2002 4.4 8 cyl x5 smoking exhaust help! (vid included)

Hey all

Seeking some help on this issue. Today i fired up the car and all was well. Was driving for about 15 mins then had to stop at a red light. after taking off again heaps of smoke came out the exhaust. It billowed out for about 20 seconds then only small amounts were coming out while i was driving around back streets checking it out. This happened for about 10 more mins, then all seemed to stop. I left it running and jumped out and nothing.... then continued the drive to work(had more stops at lights and seemed to be no smoke) with no more issues.

I started worrying about it then went outside to check after about 30 mins of the car being off. When i turned it on it puffed out some smoke then dies down. When i hit the gas it would spew out abit then die down again.

Here is a vid of when i went out to check after 30 mins of being off:

(just remove the spaces, wudnt let me post the link)

Was thinking valve seals?
Havent noticed any increase in fuel consumption or oil (although this just happened today)

We have had alot of rain here in QLD, Australia but i dont think its condensation issues.

Any idea how much this would be to fix?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Regards
Nic

Forgot to mention: Car has 170,000kms but has been running as smooth as a baby with regular servicing every 3-4 months
Advertisement