Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:23 AM

Mein Auto: X1
X1 aftermarket towing hitch

Hi! Just got my X1 this month and loving it. Great gas mileage I am getting and style in small package.

I would like to add a tow hitch but can not find any OEM application. Are there any aftermarket option for the tow hitch and has anyone in the US install one? I would like to two my bike with it so nothing really heavy. Thanks in advance!
Ads by Google
Old 10-19-2012, 11:53 AM

Mein Auto: Mini Cooper S Clubman
Me too ! The funny thing is everywhere else in the world the screw on bike rack is available. It uses the two screw in ports on the bumper I just wrote today to a dealer in Montreal to see if they could get me one. I'm going to northern Vermont first week in December and might jump the boarder to pick it up

My wife essentially has the same one on her countryman and its awesome. It even tilts so you can open the gate. I'll report back if I can get it
Old 10-21-2012, 09:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X1
Go check out my post in the ED forum about buying this rack during ED. Someone replied to my post with contact info for a dealer in Poland that is willing to order and ship Euro parts to the US. Might be worth doing it that way. If any of you go this route please post up how it goes and how much it ends up costing.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:58 PM

Mein Auto: Hyundai Genesis
Tow screw locations

The question becomes whether the tow screw locations are the same on the US model as European, which will be required for the unit to fit if ordered from Europe?
Old 10-21-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjkad View Post
The question becomes whether the tow screw locations are the same on the US model as European, which will be required for the unit to fit if ordered from Europe?
For starters, I can't see them changing the location of the tow hooks for US spec cars. However, as further evidence that the rack will work, take a look at the pictures from the Paris auto show when they unveiled the 2013 US Spec BMW X1. The version of the M Sport they had on display had both the roof rack and the tow hook mounted bike rack.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 x3 + 2010 335i xdriv
I was about to order a X1 (xdrive35i) but was informed via BMW USA on their Facebook that there will not be a hitch, their customer service email said "no info available". Anyone know for sure? I have a 2011 X3 (xdrive35i)and it took BMW probably a year to come out with the hitch.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:53 PM

Mein Auto: M3
I have an Execuhitch on my X5 diesel. http://execuhitch.com/tow-hitches/?sef_rewrite=1 It's hidden under the rear bumper and you can get either their bike mount, ball hitch or a receiver which you can then install your receiver bike hitch. Nice bunch of guys and if you take advantage of your delivery at the factory in Spartensburg they are just a short ride south to Georgia and they'll install it for you while you wait. When I spoke with them today to see about a hitch for an X1 they said it would be available by this Friday.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8Pilot View Post
I have an Execuhitch on my X5 diesel. http://execuhitch.com/tow-hitches/?sef_rewrite=1 It's hidden under the rear bumper and you can get either their bike mount, ball hitch or a receiver which you can then install your receiver bike hitch. Nice bunch of guys and if you take advantage of your delivery at the factory in Spartensburg they are just a short ride south to Georgia and they'll install it for you while you wait. When I spoke with them today to see about a hitch for an X1 they said it would be available by this Friday.
That is pretty impressive. Quite pricey, but if it is done right who cares. One thing that worries me, though, is that I see no Class rating on their hitches, so we have no real way of knowing what sort of towing capacity or tongue weight a hitch like this would give us.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:49 PM

Mein Auto: M3
It's basically a class three hitch. Execuhitch says their hitch will tow to what ever the vehicles tow rating is. I've towed a 4500 lb Cat diesel generator behind the X5 without any problem other than I didn't have the trailer brakes hooked up and stopping was a little lengthy.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:43 PM

Mein Auto: E30
I just installed my Curt 128i hitch on my X1: http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=762142

As noted in the link above, you won't be able to installed the EU Bike Rack that BMW sells; because the US crush bumper only has one hole (the hole in which the bike mount screws into) and not two like the EU crush bumper.

Last edited by mabrahams; 10-24-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:51 PM

Mein Auto: 128
So from reading Mab's link, it appears that we get only ONE threaded bumper insert so the EU rack is simply not an option over here.

Damn. That is such an elegant way to mount a rack.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:56 PM

Mein Auto: E30
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
So from reading Mab's link, it appears that we get only ONE threaded bumper insert so the EU rack is simply not an option over here.

Damn. That is such an elegant way to mount a rack.
Correct. I edited my post above to state the same but I think we posted at the same time.

You could order the EU one since the two hook covers do match.. but unsure how much it is. You can confirm this by removing the little covers and you will see the right side has hole and the other does not.

Last edited by mabrahams; 10-24-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:53 PM

The EU rack is $820 USD before shipping, anyway.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:47 PM

Curt Mfg. now has their X1 Hitch available. I just ordered off AutoAnything and price was very good. 15% discount for new customers today which brought price of hitch and a locking pin to $158.80

Link to install PDF. Seems fairly straightforward,
https://www.curtmfg.com/masterlibrar..._13140_INS.PDF

Last edited by MiddleAgedMissi; 01-10-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:45 PM

Could you let us know how the Curt Hitch worked out. Looks good especially that it is a Class 3 hitch. Did you also order the wiring harness?

Last edited by rpocngold; 01-16-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpocngold View Post
Could you let us know how the Curt Hitch worked out. Looks good especially that it is a Class 3 hitch. Did you also order the wiring harness?
Received the hitch on the 14th but it's still in the box. Will be a few days before I have time to install. Have to buy a plastic rivet tool also. I have not purchased a wiring harness yet.
Will let you know how it goes and post a few pics when I install.

Just realized my user name is truncated....WTF. It's Missile on the end, not Missi.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:30 PM

Any luck with the tow hitch
Old 02-01-2013, 06:13 AM
1 SLY 1

Send a message via Skype™ to Foxrus14
Mein Auto: X1 35i xDrive M Sport
So what is the towing capacity of the X1 35i? My Fiance and I each have Harleys and we want to be able to trailer them to places if necessary.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:31 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2012 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrus14 View Post
So what is the towing capacity of the X1 35i? My Fiance and I each have Harleys and we want to be able to trailer them to places if necessary.
In North America, BMW does not assign an official towing capacity to the X1, but based on the chassis it would be rated as 2,500 lbs towed weight / 250 lbs tongue weight if it were rated. A somewhat higher towed-weight load is fine, but you need to watch the tongue weight carefully.

Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com
Old 02-01-2013, 01:01 PM

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgedMissi View Post
Just realized my user name is truncated....WTF. It's Missile on the end, not Missi.
Oops...ROTFLOL
Old 02-06-2013, 05:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 x3 + 2010 335i xdriv
My dealer just installed an execuhitch for me. I am very impressed, as were they, with the quality, design and ease of installation. I had an x3 with a BMW hitch and I have to say I like the execuhitch better. Both of the pictures are after the hitch was installed, one showing how invisible it is and the others showing it with the ball attachment. I also got the receiver attachment for a bike rack. The car is a X1 M sport line. The guys at execuhitch (invisihitch) were great to do business with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0057.jpg
Views:	858
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	361097   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0059.jpg
Views:	904
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	361098   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0060.jpg
Views:	1452
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	361099  
Old 02-06-2013, 05:10 PM

Mein Auto: 335d
I also have the invisihitch on my 335d

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Bimmer App
Old 02-07-2013, 12:27 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2012 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatT View Post
My dealer just installed an execuhitch for me. I am very impressed, as were they, with the quality, design and ease of installation.
PatT,

Thank you for your nice compliments on our product. I am biased of course, but I truly believe our invisihitch is the premium towing & rack solution for the X1. Glad to hear that your BMW dealer felt likewise.

A lot of people don't realize that we provide this same hitch directly to BMW in other markets, where it is sold by BMW as their Original Equipment hitch on the X1. In North America though, BMW elected to offer no hitch option on the X1. So officially we became an "aftermarket" hitch for the X1 here in the U.S., even though it's the exact same hitch as the one sold directly through BMW in other parts of the world.

This means that the invisihitch had to meet certain criteria that other aftermarket hitches for the X1 simply do not meet. Criteria such as not attaching to the A-frame of the vehicle because doing so bypasses the crumple zones in rear-end collisions. And having to pass a 2-million cycle dynamic-load test. It really is a serious OE-caliber hitch for the X1.

Plus, you don't have to look at it.

Here are some more photos (although I believe these photos are of an X3, the unspoiled appearance is the same on the X1).

Cheers,
Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Invisihitch Receiver installed.jpg
Views:	1067
Size:	303.2 KB
ID:	361218   Click image for larger version

Name:	Invisihitch with ball mount attached.jpg
Views:	850
Size:	279.0 KB
ID:	361219   Click image for larger version

Name:	Invisihitch with 2 inch bike-rack connector attached.jpg
Views:	737
Size:	289.3 KB
ID:	361220   Click image for larger version

Name:	Invisihitch with 1 1-4 inch bike-rack connector attached.jpg
Views:	705
Size:	276.0 KB
ID:	361221  
Old 02-07-2013, 03:53 PM

Daryl
Looks great but BMW has not released tongue weight and towing cap for the X1 Earlier post you stated 250/2500 Wish they would just give us the figures so we can make a decision

Last edited by rpocngold; 02-07-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by invisihitch View Post
PatT,

Thank you for your nice compliments on our product. I am biased of course, but I truly believe our invisihitch is the premium towing & rack solution for the X1. Glad to hear that your BMW dealer felt likewise.

A lot of people don't realize that we provide this same hitch directly to BMW in other markets, where it is sold by BMW as their Original Equipment hitch on the X1. In North America though, BMW elected to offer no hitch option on the X1. So officially we became an "aftermarket" hitch for the X1 here in the U.S., even though it's the exact same hitch as the one sold directly through BMW in other parts of the world.

This means that the invisihitch had to meet certain criteria that other aftermarket hitches for the X1 simply do not meet. Criteria such as not attaching to the A-frame of the vehicle because doing so bypasses the crumple zones in rear-end collisions. And having to pass a 2-million cycle dynamic-load test. It really is a serious OE-caliber hitch for the X1.

Plus, you don't have to look at it.

Here are some more photos (although I believe these photos are of an X3, the unspoiled appearance is the same on the X1).

Cheers,
Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com
What does it cost and how much to install?