Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 02-06-2013, 01:50 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 525iT
Just following up to see if all is still well? I have a similar issue so this may be a helpful way to a happy ending...
Old 02-06-2013, 05:34 PM

Mein Auto: 1991 BMW 525I
Yes, the CTS was the main problem. Ran excellent and picked up a several MPG. At least until someone hit and run it and totaled it out.

Bought it back from insurance to use the parts. Found a nice grey with black interior 91 525I non-runner for a great price to swap parts from the wrecked one and ended up only being the fuel pump.. HA!!!!!!
Runs and drives awesome. I did swap the bilstiens off the wrecked one and the newer wheels and tires. Very happy.

Now I have a great drive train and most the body and interior to use if I find another one.

Last edited by fryntyr; 02-06-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:41 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 525
Why did your car not run normally when you disconnected the cts during testing ? Since that was the problem ?

Was it because of all the other vacuum leaks ?
Old 03-12-2013, 02:39 AM

Mein Auto: M5 S38B36
CPS Crankshaft Position Sensor

I did not read all the posts above ... just stopping by and throwing in this information ...

Had this issue with engine sometimes stalls at idle myself - after several other tries I found out the pretty old CPS and/or itīs electric cable connetions have been the reason. The signalling is sensitive and a damaged cable shield may allow other eletrical things to interfere or disturb the signalling; or sometimes there are simply no signals arrive fromt he CPS. If so, the CPU does not know crankshaft = pistion position and no ignition impulse can be sent.

See the damage which leaded to poor signalling ...

Last edited by motorcitycobra; 03-12-2013 at 03:10 AM.