Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 02-03-2013, 06:13 PM

Mein Auto: 330CI
2006 BMW X3 with 75k miles....what to look for

Test drove a '06 X3 for the wife with 75000 miles and the car seemed like new. The dealer wants $15,500 for it and it seems like a good deal. Going to take it to my independent mechanic this week and have him take a look at it. Anything I should be taking a close look at this mileage at before we take the plunge. I have a 2004 330CI and love it. Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2013, 08:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAL_Pilot View Post
...... Anything I should be taking a close look at this mileage at before we take the plunge.
Depends if it is from a BMW dealer or another brand dealer.

And depends if it has 1 or 2 previous owners, and if the 1st. one was a lease.

If from a BMW dealer, your indy mechanic should focus on the sort of things that a BMW dealer might not delve into.

That is, not the usual visual checks for obvious things like oil leaks, strut leaks, diff. leaks, water leaks, brake pad thickness, body panel gaps, paint overspray, etc.

Although those checks don't take much time, best to go right to checking suspension members for wear, wheel bearings, drive shafts, and doing a rigorous test drive listening for any unusual noises or other clues of something amiss.

If all that passes muster, your mechanic could make a list of maintenance items that appear to have been attended to, and those that are due or overdue.

That could include sampling the transfer case and maybe diff. fluids.

If it is from a dealer other than BMW (sounds like it from the asking price), I would step very carefully.
In fact, if you can't verify that it was a trade on one of their own new cars, I would step right away.
But otherwise do all the above and then some.

If they got it from the auction, it likely has a few issues.
May not be able to easily tell if it has had minimal oil changes (likely if leased) or why BMW dealers passed on it at auction.

Good used X3s are out there for the patient buyer, but there are quite a few I bet you don't want to take on.

Some will disagree with me on getting one from another franchise dealer, but they do tend to come with annoying shortcomings at the very least.
Such as, not a full set of owner's manuals, incomplete key set, missing tools, missing cargo cover, etc.
Things that take up your time to rectify, even if not a lot of money.

See: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=649672
Old 02-04-2013, 05:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 Mazda 3S 2006 X3
Quote:
Some will disagree with me on getting one from another franchise dealer, but they do tend to come with annoying shortcomings at the very least.
Such as, not a full set of owner's manuals, incomplete key set, missing tools, missing cargo cover, etc.
Things that take up your time to rectify, even if not a lot of money.

See: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=649672
Just to clarify, My X3 wasn't missing anything. Maybe there was a cargo box for groceries but I haven't been able to determine if those actually came with every X3. Now mine came from a shop that only deals with BMW's and Audi's so I don't know if that makes a difference.

The one key needed cleaned to take a charge. Would a dealer have replaced the key, or cleaned it and charged it before putting it out on lot? I have no idea but it took me all of 2 minutes to fix myself. The Rubber floor mats I got where just because I hate getting mud and snow on carpet mats during the winter to spring months. I purchased new carpet mats just because the one on the driver side had a wear mark in one spot. This was a total personal issue because I feel good looking mats make a huge difference in how a car's interior looks. when you get into a car you always look to see where your feet are going. I've replaced the one's in our 07 mazda twice (we bought that car new in fall of 06). Maybe if I had purchased it at a BMW lot they would've thrown in some new mats.

I looked at a few at dealers but I specifically wanted at 06' MT and the one I got turned up in my back yard and so I snagged it at a good price.

As far as the oils and such I would suggest doing that with any X3 purchase no matter who the dealer is. Also really check the sunroof track, I ended up finding bits of small broken glass. The sunroof works so well that I feel it's safe to assume it had been replaced at somepoint (that's a good thing). Had I found the glass before purchasing I would've made sure to have gotten more cash taken off the price, BMW lot or other.

I wouldn't buy a BMW if you either don't have the money to pay someone to fix issues (because they will arise) or if you don't have the mechanical ability to work on your own car. Since you already have a 330 I think this is just preaching to the choir but it's always worth saying.

Mine (knock on wood) hasn't had any problems other then needing one vapor barrier resealed which took me maybe a half hour to do. We've put about 5K on it over the last 4 months. So far no regrets.

Now if I was buying an 2010 then maybe I'd stick to dealer lots looking for something just off lease. A 2006 is 6 going on 7 years old (depending on if it was on 06 modal sold in late 05). If you have any specific things you're looking for like a MT then you're really going to limit yourself waiting for someone to trade in a 06 to a dealer. My 2 cents, buying any car is a risk. We bought a 2012 focus new and had nothing but horrible problems, my friend bought a 2012 focus new two days later from the same dealer and has had zero problems. I rolled the dice and got rid of our focus for a 6 year old BMW and so far it has really worked out.

Either way good luck!
Old 02-04-2013, 07:14 AM

Mein Auto: E39 ///M5
A few off the top of my head:
Inspect the rear springs - they tend to break
Cooling system- no leaks
Warped cylinder head
Transfer case Issue
Panoramic Sunrood issues

If you do end of purchasing this vehicle, I would do a diff flush, transfer case flush, brake flush (basically all fluids). I would never trust an independent dealer, or stealership.
Tuning Tech Tune by Frank Smith (http://www.tuningtechfs.com/)
TTFS IAT Kit
TTFS Alpha N
Supersprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace
Storm Motorwerks Products

2006 X3 3.0i M-Sport | Silver Grey | Terracotta | AT | Navigation | Premium Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | AFE |

Last edited by jdauria; 02-05-2013 at 05:33 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:34 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
All of the above, except to add if you find a M/T in the year you want and absolutely have to have an M/T then you better grab it because they are thin on the ground. Some issue with non BMW dealer purchased car recommendations. To be fair ALL dealers use auctions to replenish their used car stocks, so that same X3 now being sold by a Toyota dealer could have just as easily been offered by a BMW store. Since you already own a BMW then you have a relationship with your service center -- they can easily look up the VIN on your prospective X3 purchase and tell you what maintentance and repair service it has had up until at least 50K miles -- and probably beyond that if you are lucky. It is more important than ever to do a PPI now with all the flood cars coming onto the scene. Some of these (the older ones especially) may not have been fully insured (and then totalled for salvage) so people would try to "fix" the cars -- which we all know is a receipe for failure down the road. My personal experience with a bought new in '06 X3 has been it was bulletproof up until 60K and has deteriorated steadily until now at 91K it has become a money pit.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:59 PM

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
Boarderline

You are approaching the point for normal but expensive maintenance items to potentially pop up. These vehicle are not cheap to own as they age. As you approach 100,000 you will need cooling system parts, intake boot (you need it now if it hasn't been done I would bet), battery now or soon, CCV system, Oil filter housing gasket, valve cover gaskets, alternator, thrust arm bushings, shocks, AC compressor etc etc etc.

When was the last brake job done, how are tires- there is $2000 right off the bat. I will say it yet again, DO NOT buy a used BMW without it having some sort of warranty either the remainder of an extended one or a CPO one which this one is to old for. It is just to risky and to expensive to fix issues that you bought with the vehicle. Resist the urge. Also, the 06, like ours, rides really really harsh, have you noticed that. A $15000 used out of warranty high mileage BMW can very easily turn into a $20,000 vehicle in 18 months or so.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:33 PM

Mein Auto: 325xi
Check out my thread - I just bought one and ran into some issues :

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=670010

On the other hand a $16k car with relatively low KMS is a great deal. Even if you sink $10k into it over the next 10 years, you get to drive a $50k car then sell it for $7k and your cost of ownership is really low. In my opinion.

thefys

... "someone who makes noises for a living" [Un-named software engineer at Electronic Arts]

Me :
Old 02-06-2013, 07:39 PM

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
Recent experience OOW

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=670010