Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 01-27-2013, 01:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
These angel eye will blow away competition...

I usually don't go buy stuff from eBay since I got burn one too many times. But found this jewel in the haystack:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BMW-H8-4...932420&vxp=mtr

here comparison pictures to my 2011 E92 OEM angel eyes, hail to be the standrad for AE in terms of brightness, color temp and even look.

No code, and my HD radio reception is fine, no humming, no interference with TPMS.

They use 4 Cree LEDs XB-D to cover 360-degree dispersion, one of the latest from Cree silicon-carbide low cost bright LED. I suspect they use a simple buck-regulator to supply 12v (each LED is 3V and they configure in series) instead of DC-DC converter ala a single super-LED configuration that create problems with interference. The bulb housing is aluminum cast no machine for very low cost, but very well made with rubber gasket to keep moisture out, the XB-D is the lowest temp LED out there, between 55-85 F operating temp so the housing with fins is just fine as heat-sink.

I can't see spending more than these bulbs out there guys, the inside ring is brigther on E60 as usual but that's not the bulb it's the optic.

These are H8 bulbs so you need LCI E60 (2008 and newer) with OEM xenon headlamps.

Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Angel_eye01.jpg
Views:	724
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	359392   Click image for larger version

Name:	Angel_eye02.jpg
Views:	687
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	359393  
Ads by Google
Old 01-27-2013, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto: 06 550i
How's the daytime visibility of these, meaning direct sunlight. This does seem to be the best and cheapest PnP solution tho. Glad you enjoy them.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:32 PM

Mein Auto: 535i xDrive
Do these lights dim when the headlights are turned on? I thought I read that the BMS ones dont dim, not sure if that really matters since the HID light would overpower them anyway.
Thanks!
Old 01-27-2013, 02:54 PM

Here in Seattle, we have to wait until August to see direct sunlight picture
That's why I compare it to E92 OEM angel-eyes, so one can decide if it's going to be good enough.
Here another one compare to Orion AE on my X5, yes no one will win against Orion.

As far as dimming affect when the Xenon is on, it's hard to say since human eye may be fooled thinking the AE is dimmer after a more powerful light source is turned on next to it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Angel_eye03.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	359401  
Old 01-27-2013, 08:09 PM

Mein Auto: E70
Any idea if these will work on an E70. Sorry I have owned a E70 for 3 days now. When upgrading to the LED Halo do I need to get 4 separate bulbs to run the 4 Halo or just 2 to run the 4 halo?
Old 01-28-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6umbrella9 View Post
Any idea if these will work on an E70. Sorry I have owned a E70 for 3 days now. When upgrading to the LED Halo do I need to get 4 separate bulbs to run the 4 Halo or just 2 to run the 4 halo?
ask the seller to be sure and tell them excatly what year/model/option of your X5.
But I believe BMW switched to H8 bulbs for AE after 2006 or so (don;t quote me on it though), but again ask the seller to be sure. You only need a set of Angel-eyes, in this case a pair to light all 4 rings in the car.

I suggest also to remove the bulb that you think light up the angel eye in your car, if it's H8 bulb then these ones are for ya. You need to practice removing/replacing those bulbs anyway.

Last edited by HPIA4v2; 01-28-2013 at 07:20 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 View Post
ask the seller to be sure and tell them excatly what year/model/option of your X5.
But I believe BMW switched to H8 bulbs for AE after 2006 or so (don;t quote me on it though), but again ask the seller to be sure. You only need a set of Angel-eyes, in this case a pair to light all 4 rings in the car.
Excellent thank you. I just sent the message off. I am not sure what options he needs to know but hopefully he can figure it out.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:40 PM

He got back to me. Looks like they will work. How do I install them? Doesn't look like it has a plug and play clip
Old 01-29-2013, 08:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
I personally LOVE ebay. I bought a set of 5W LED bulb replacements about a week ago. They are insanely bright. They actually seem brighter than an average headlight.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1422.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	393.3 KB
ID:	359817   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1423.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	359818  
Old 01-29-2013, 09:46 PM
Mike Swing

Send a message via AIM to Mike Swing
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 530i
Hey MSHax, what brand are those?
Old 01-30-2013, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6umbrella9 View Post
He got back to me. Looks like they will work. How do I install them? Doesn't look like it has a plug and play clip
If you have H8 on your X5 then it'll be plug-n-play, take a closer look at seller ebay pictures.

You may want to post on E70 forums on how to replace the H8 angel-eyes on it with LED AE; some BMW has some tricks to get to the bulbs. I was lucky on E60 to have access after opening the hood, on E90 you access it through the wheel fender etc. Hopefully on E70 it's just as easy.

Forgot to add, maybe you can search youtube on E70, on how to replace the angel eyes.

Last edited by HPIA4v2; 01-30-2013 at 06:20 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Swing View Post
Hey MSHax, what brand are those?
Those, good sir, are the highly elusive brand known as Chinese.

The auction has ended on them but you can see what they were and what they look like. Link to eBay lights. I'm actually a LED light dealer, but don't carry these since I deal with primarily classic muscle cars. I'm not connected with this seller or the bulbs in any way, I just like the price and am just impressed by their performance. I bought 2 sets because I planned on putting a set in my track bimmer but haven't decided yet if I'm going to have lights in that car. I took pictures of the halos on this morning so that you can see what they look like in day light but can't upload from my iPhone. FYI no errors, easy plug in, very well built (and I'm picky since I'm a dealer).
Old 01-30-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHax View Post
Those, good sir, are the highly elusive brand known as Chinese.

The auction has ended on them but you can see what they were and what they look like. Link to eBay lights. I'm actually a LED light dealer, but don't carry these since I deal with primarily classic muscle cars. I'm not connected with this seller or the bulbs in any way, I just like the price and am just impressed by their performance. I bought 2 sets because I planned on putting a set in my track bimmer but haven't decided yet if I'm going to have lights in that car. I took pictures of the halos on this morning so that you can see what they look like in day light but can't upload from my iPhone. FYI no errors, easy plug in, very well built (and I'm picky since I'm a dealer).
Wow great price, is that $23 for a pair?

Good finding.
I have a feeling most of LEDs AE are made in China, what is not nowadays?

I want to add, some people are crazy enough to file-off a wing of H7 55W bulb (PIAA $50 bulbs). with this kinda pricing on AE is juts crazy to do it. Even futile to buy GP Thunder for $17 a pair.

Last edited by HPIA4v2; 01-30-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:03 AM

It was 23 for a pair, I bought 2 pair, I'm not actually sure how it worked out but I only paid $43.18 for 2 pairs. You only need 1 pair per car. Of course a 20W like the one you posted might be brighter, but let me tell you, I wanted to test the bulb before going through the trouble of installing it, and I made the mistake of looking at it. *FLASH* Instant headache. Note to readers, DO NOT LOOK AT THESE LITTLE GUYS IF THEY'RE NOT INSTALLED! It's kinda fun though to play with people though. I had my car out back of my work while I was installing them, I pulled the left front lens and plugged in the new led, then made that mistake. After I could see again, I called a co-worker out and said "I can't tell if that is on your not, can you look at it from me while I jiggle my switch to see if it's the switch or the bulb?" *FLASH* GOT HIM! I heard a LOT of "MOT**R F**KER!" and other related comments, so all-in-all, I'd say it was a success!

Here's a picture of it in the light from this morning, they look so much brighter through eyes than camera, could be that the camera is auto dimming because of ambient lighting or something but you get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1490.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	359843  
Old 01-30-2013, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: '08 535xi
I went with the PIAA H8 4150K sets

I went with the PIAA Extreme White H8 35W at 4150K and they look very close to the new AL's on the 2013 BMWs. I compared them to my friends 2013 5 series. I went this direction because the last thing I need on a long road trip is to have some dangling wire from the LED retro-fit inside my sealed HID light, shorting something while drive across, Nevada, Utah or Wyoming. Not many dealers out this way.

No codes, no rewiring, no hassle. I paid $99 for four of them from Amazon.

Just an FYI.

Tschüss,
Johnny Kurtz | Advertising Photographer
Still Life
Lifestyle
Liquids
Food
Fashion
Johnnykurtz.com | Blog | Studios in Salt Lake City, USA and Dresden, Germany
Old 01-30-2013, 09:26 AM

Actually that's what I liked about the LED replacements, there is no wiring anymore. Back in the day it was always a complex wiring process to get them to work. But the manufacturers have gotten on the ball, and made enough money to actually BUY a BMW to test. Or any other car for that matter. Back when the LED thing first hit we used to hard wire and cut harness, solder in resisters, and heat shrink wrap to seal, now it's literally plug and play. I didn't even need the adapter that came with it, no error, no hassles. I definitely feel your pain though, Back in the early 90s I used to make my own LED boards, and that was a major pain, but worth it because I was one of few people that had them. I used to only buy Porsche, and most Porsche has a positive ground for the bulbs, I remember the first tutorial I did on how to make a board got horrible reviews because people didn't build them for Porsche, so naturally they didn't work. This of course turned a LOT of people off of LED lighting. Luckily back then it was the days of dial up internet and a "forum" wasn't like this, we had text based displays of very confusing lines of comments. We have China now, and they can build anything we want for next to nothing. I upgrade everything to LED if it can be done. My house runs on LED lighting (1 regular light bulb is the same amount of wattage I use for my entire down stairs). I sell LED headlights for cars, but haven't tried them in anything I own yet since everything is HID now, but if I buy a car with standard lighting, it's SOO getting some LED headlights.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:02 AM

No kidding, I tested the bulbs when I got them prior on installing them. Double sun-glasses on the bench is the way to go. Yep it'll give you instant headache looking into these LEDs with naked eyes.

A few note, Cree XB-D (even the super bright true 5W XT-E) LED runs way cooler than 1st gen super bright white LED.
I have a feeling, cause I involve with injection-molidng, die-cast etc a lot, the one I have was casted using the older tooling since they already pay for the tool to cast the heatsink aluminum housing. With lower power, high efficiency LED, you don;t need a huge heatsink like it used to. Soon smaller LED bulb housing with integrated regulator will become the norm making these bulbs same foot print as the incandescent bulb, to then point incandescent bulbs will pass into history in automobile industry.

right now each XB-D LED produce 140lumen/W (unheard of just 1 year ago) making 9-12W LEDs producing the same (or more) light as 55W incandescent.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 550I
mtech, bought for 160$ couple of years ago
sorry for the bad quality pic
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo(5).jpg
Views:	174
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	360115  
Old 02-06-2013, 07:06 AM

Send a message via MSN to bmwmanz2 Send a message via Yahoo to bmwmanz2
Mein Auto: E39 528i
How about for an e39 pre angel eye lights? I bought the housing that has preinstalled angel eyes(LED) with projectors and not bright at all. If I wanted to take the rings out and upgrade to the color and brightness of the oem on the F10, E92, etc. angel eyes, any suggestions? Where, what brand, etc. to look for? The 6000k ultra bright look.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmanz2 View Post
How about for an e39 pre angel eye lights? I bought the housing that has preinstalled angel eyes(LED) with projectors and not bright at all. If I wanted to take the rings out and upgrade to the color and brightness of the oem on the F10, E92, etc. angel eyes, any suggestions? Where, what brand, etc. to look for? The 6000k ultra bright look.
Your best bet would be getting "Orion" rings; I have them installed when I bought DEPO headlamps assembly for E53 X5. You can't get F10 OEM AE cause it designed from ground up with better optics that produce very balance brightness; though it looks a bit more purple compare to aftermarket OEM which is more warmer white color (I think you can see that on the pictures from my first post). The older BMW were more an afterthought since not many mfg gets into this angel-eyes/eye-browse thing back then.

BTW, I've seen many E46 3-series with Orion rings on the street so I know if you willing to bake open your headlamps you can.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:35 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
If I can find them on ebay for 23 bucks, I'd get them. The crap I have in my car now are too dim. I looked at your link and searched ebay, and they are all $72 bucks and up to $150. Oh well.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman12 View Post
If I can find them on ebay for 23 bucks, I'd get them. The crap I have in my car now are too dim. I looked at your link and searched ebay, and they are all $72 bucks and up to $150. Oh well.
hint...hint.... the one I bought is built like H8 Ice Lite ($199) or Lux($249) bulb, it uses 1-yr old LED design that stay cool for less than half of the cost.

But yes LED chip is getting cheaper every-year just like LED TV etc, so if you wait I have a feeling someone will be able to build an H8 bulb (aluminum housing, electronics etc) under $50 next year, that produces >1500Lumen.
The biggest cost for mfg of these bulbs will be tooling (die-cast) for making the aluminum housing, each will be a round $6000 is my guess, the kind of cost small mfg hesitant to cough out. The LED part for example Cree XB-D is like 99-cent each!
Old 02-06-2013, 07:11 PM

Send a message via MSN to bmwmanz2 Send a message via Yahoo to bmwmanz2
Mein Auto: E39 528i
So the x5 pic ha the Orion's in it? Which model were they? What color was it in the description on the site or wherever you go them? That is more of the color I am looking for. I guess my next step after that is how to wire it. The baking I have seen before and willing to do. I will post a pic later on how mine are currently. They may appear bright, but are very deceiving. In the day you cannot see them. Can you see the Orion's then? I didn't want the F10 just the similar color and for sure the brightness. They around $180 a pair?
Old 02-06-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmanz2 View Post
So the x5 pic ha the Orion's in it? Which model were they? What color was it in the description on the site or wherever you go them? That is more of the color I am looking for. I guess my next step after that is how to wire it. The baking I have seen before and willing to do. I will post a pic later on how mine are currently. They may appear bright, but are very deceiving. In the day you cannot see them. Can you see the Orion's then? I didn't want the F10 just the similar color and for sure the brightness. They around $180 a pair?
Yep my E53 X5 has "Orion" halo rings in the headlamps. your E39 probably has the same electrical circuit as my E53, I tapped the main light switch to drive a relay to turn the halo-rings. If you paralell the park light at the headlamp then the halo ring will blink with tirning signal, not the effect I want.

BTW, you can buy the rings here:
http://store.ijdmtoy.com/ProductDeta...0&click=13822&

not sure why anyone would pay more than $50 for all four rings, these are made by stringing cheap white LED lights to make up a ring that can be powered @12V. I think I know who wants to charge you $180 for them
Old 02-06-2013, 09:29 PM

Mein Auto: '09 AW 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 View Post
Yep my E53 X5 has "Orion" halo rings in the headlamps. your E39 probably has the same electrical circuit as my E53, I tapped the main light switch to drive a relay to turn the halo-rings. If you paralell the park light at the headlamp then the halo ring will blink with tirning signal, not the effect I want.

BTW, you can buy the rings here:
http://store.ijdmtoy.com/ProductDeta...0&click=13822&

not sure why anyone would pay more than $50 for all four rings, these are made by stringing cheap white LED lights to make up a ring that can be powered @12V. I think I know who wants to charge you $180 for them
Those do not look as bright as the Orion V2's or v4's from that picture.

2009 AW 535i
-Sport, Premium Package, and Comfort Access

-20" Forgestar F14 Black Gloss, custom Cobb E30 map, Dr Euro DP's, KW V2 CO's, Remus Sport Exhaust, BMS DCI, RPI Scoop, Full Front 3M PPF, 35% tint all-around, Orion V4's, Bruce v6.1L cables, LED interior lights, WeissLicht License Plate LED, Trinity Smoked LED side markers, Bimmian Smoked Reflectors, OEM black gloss grills, and Invisibulb turn bulbs.