Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto: 650i
Exclamation 650i Totaled - Need Advice!

Hi, I am at a loss of what to do with my current situation. PLEASE HELP ME!

I bought a 2008 Certified BMW 650i, mint condition, a year and half ago. Beautiful car, amazing ride, only 25K miles. Last week I was driving to work in the morning, and my brakes failed as I approached a traffic light at a T intersection. About 30 feet before I impacted other cars, it seems that my wheel bearing broke, severed off, 4 bolts also sheered off (not twisted and bent or torn off, rather they cracked/broke in half) and then the wheel dislodged from my car. Strangely I can tell you, like out of the movies, after my car came to a complete stop, my wheel rolled up behind me and stopped propped up against my car.

The car had not been serviced with the exception of oil changes and state inspections, since I purchased it from the BMW dealership. It was a certified BMW from a delaership where I was covered under full warranty for mechanical parts, etc. This is not something that I have ever heard of, a wheel should not come off of a moving car. The police report states that the wheel came off prior to impacting any other cars.

Two of the 4 other cars I hit are considered totaled, as is my car. There were no serious injuries, surprisingly, but there is a good period of time for lawsuits to come into play. That being said, my insurance company is not doing much by way of investigating the cause of the accident to go after BMW to pay for costs' associated with the wreck. So I am taking it into my own hands and will try to get my name cleared of my insurance going through the roof, if it was in fact a defect of parts.

Should I send car to a German auto shop to evaluate root cause of accident?
Do I accept the check from the insurance company before I have answers to the cause of the accident?
Should I contact BMW where I bought the car from? And say what?

I would really appreciate any advice anyone can give me. In addition to the 650i, we also have a 3 series and as a result of the totaled car, we want to get a 5-series, so we are LONG TIME beemer owners and lovers

Thank you!!
Ads by Google
Old 02-01-2013, 11:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 650i
TAKE THE CHECK and get a new 6. You should not be faulted when a major mech failure occured. Either way, that is insurance company BS and what you pay them for. My $.02
HUD, Comfort Access

Old 02-01-2013, 12:00 PM
David

Mein Auto: E63 M6 & E92 335i
Agree with Mulchman; take the check and get a new 6. Glad everyone is alright. Could have been much worse if this had happened on the interstate.

My guess as to why it happened is either the bolts were not tightened to the proper spec (most likely over tightened) or there is some sort of underlying suspension issue.

2008 E63 M6 - Black Sapphire - Sepang Bronze Full Merino - Carbon Fiber Trim - Alcantera Headliner - SMG - HUD - Soft Close Doors - Comfort Access - Individual Audio w/Sat and HD Radio
2009 E92 335i - Black Sapphire - Black Dakota - Burl Walnut - Sport - Premium - Cold Weather - Navigation - L7 - Comfort Access - Smoker's Package

Member: BMWCCA #471614
Old 02-01-2013, 12:13 PM
info@e92-lighting.com

Send a message via AIM to E92-Lighting Send a message via MSN to E92-Lighting Send a message via Yahoo to E92-Lighting Send a message via Skype™ to E92-Lighting
Mein Auto: 335i
i never heard of a wheel coming off

BMW CREE LED ANGEL EYES ALL BMW MODELS MTEC V3 V4 DTEC V6 V7 V8 V9 V10 NO ERROR
BMW ACCESSORIES and PARTS
BMW LED INTERIOR KITS
please PM/Email us for member discount/combo pricing
info@e92-lighting.com "e90post5" for 5% off as the promo code
Old 02-01-2013, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: 05 645Ci
Wow, that sucks! Positive thing is, you're ok! You're in a tank, the 6 can probably slice through most cars, so thank god you or no one else was hurt.

I've heard of wheels coming off before, it happens, just like anything else, machines fail, everything does. Axels even brake and the wheels do serious damage, hell, I've seen it happen. Not live, but I've seen accidents on the side of the road where the wheels were dislodged from the car. Just curious, how fast were you going?

I'm sure more people will have better advice, but I'd seek counsel on what to do. Just talk to a lawyer and throw around some of your concerns. If you're sued, your insurance company will represent you. It sounds strange that they are not pursuing every option to try to find the cause of the accident/problem. Were you issued any tickets, did an accident investigator come to the scene? I mean not just uniformed/beat cops, but those trained in accident reports.

The lawsuits will come, they have a year to file. But I wouldn't worry about that though. That's why you have insurance, it's their problem, not yours. Your accident certainly sounds unavoidable, so it wasn't your fault!

I was in a minor accident once back in the 90's. I was a stupid kid in a nice car and took my eyes off the road for 2 seconds and rear ended someone. He came back and sued me for a million dollars, claiming that he was so mentally and physically injured by the minor accident that he couldn't sleep, work, function entirely. But he wasn't hurt, had minor damage to his car and drove away from the scene. My damage was cosmetic, the only thing that happened was my hood buckled under his rear fender.

To make a long story short, I got a letter in the mail from the insurance company saying I no longer need to concern myself with the matter. I'm not sure if they settled or caught him doing something he shouldn't have. I, myself saw him carrying loads of groceries, boxes of them. I was like hey brah, where's your neck brace, arm brace, cane and your eye twitch!?! Dude was full of crap obviously, thought he hit pay dirt.

Not trying to scare you, just trying to say, don't worry. That accident was my fault, yours was not. Hell, it sounds like it could be BMW's fault, I've just never heard of another issue like yours with the 6. I'm no expert in the law, but I do believe fault makes the world of difference.

Just stay calm and try to relax. Everything will be ok. The worst part is over, the accident itself. Just think what could have happened. No one was hurt and that's all that really matters. Talk to a lawyer before you accept any payment. You're insurance company sounds shady as hell, this could very well be on BMW.

Last edited by GetMeABeer; 02-01-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Wow, what a horrible story! You had two things go wrong, first your brakes failed and then your wheel came off???? Holy Smokes. I have seen a wheel come off a car on the interstate at 70 miles per hour, it went bouncing down the road rolling the original speed of the car, it was bouncing 10 feet in the air and crossed over into oncoming traffic. It was a miracle but it didn't hit anyone. So it happens.

First, trying to prove that this is a problem due to the dealer's previous service or BMW will be difficult. You had the car for a year and a half, there was a mechanical failure, it was a used car. So there is no way anyone will own up and say it may have been their fault! Maybe if you had just had your brakes and wheels serviced and had just left the dealer, then you could point out a direct cause and effect. Probably this is the reason the insurance company is not investigating, the car is 5 years old, multiple owners, etc.

I had a company car that spontaneously erupted into an engine fire about 10 years ago. The car was 4 months old, never serviced, never in the shop, with 8,000 miles. I just pulled into a customer site and smoke started coming out from under my hood. Luckily the site I was at had a fella who was quick with the fire extinguisher and we were able to put it out before the car-b-que took it to the ground - or blew up.

I had it towed to the dealer, told them that their car had caught on fire and it was a warranty issue, it was their problem. They told me it was my problem and I needed to file a claim with my insurance. And it turned out they were correct, I filed a claim with the carrier, they then sent out a specialty inspector (not a regular adjuster) to determine if it was manufacturer defect. I had to fight them to make them do that, I was mad that a car with 8,000 miles and 4 months old would have this happen. He could not find anything, so in the end they chalked it up to mechanical failure and it become an insurance claim like if you hit a bridge. It took the investigator 4 months and several trips to come up with this decision.

My point is that it was difficult to get the insurance company to investigate on a virtually brand new car. If it had been 5 years old I am sure they would have just chalked it up as not worth investigating. I had to suck it up and take it in the chin that it was an insurance claim against my record.

Good luck, I hope your results are better.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:12 PM

22 years ago, I was rear ended by a young mom and her 2 kids. I received the ticket for failure to yield. I was 150ft past the intersection. My Audi 500 had a scratched bumper and her Honda was crunched in the front end. I just knew she was getting a ticket and really felt sorry for her.

Where I got off track was following the police officer around while he was writing his report and I think it pissed him off so he ticketed me, which really pissed me off. That was January. My insurance repaired her car and I didn't even bother having my scratch fixed. May of that year rolls around and I have a sheriffs deputy standing at my door serving me papers.

This 24 year old woman was suing me for a bad back, her husband sued me for lack of consortium, and the kids were suing me for not having a mommy. $500k My insurance offered to settle for $20k she countered with $75k. No deal.

5 years later, we made it to the court room. Again my insurance company offered her $25k...no deal. So for the next 3 days we conducted a Perry Mason trial. The kids were paraded through the court room, the now Ex Husband and the victim. The price has now elevated to $1.5m. Indeed a difficult time for me and my family.

The long and short of it was the jury found us both 50% at fault each. She was awarded $3,200 for medical expenses and I went home and went to sleep.

People will sue. That's the world we live in. In my case justice was served and her attorney who took her case on a contingency basis, lost his ass to the tune of about $35k. I'll bet he never took one of those BS cases again.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
Wow - sorry to hear about the bad luck accident. Really sucks the way it went down... it's one thing to take the hit if you are at fault, but it's another if it's your car that is at fault. Despite the mechanical failure, you will be deemed to be at fault and will suffer the loss on your insurance record for a few years.

I'm a corporate attorney and I essentially agree with Mark's advice above - be glad everyone is ok and if the lawsuits come, then your insurance company will defend you. Consult with your insurance company and if they tell you anything that doesn't make sense, then consult with your own lawyer. Best of luck to you and let us know how it turns out.

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Old 02-01-2013, 10:02 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Sorry to hear about your story. Thankfully everyone was OK.

That is a very strange failure for a BMW; they tend to over-engineer their suspension components.

I have been driving on race tracks for 17 years which puts a massive stress on suspensions, and I've seen wheels fall off all sorts of other marques but never a BMW. Normally wheels fall off due to a ball joint failure or loose lug nuts.

I would guess when you hit the brakes this caused the suspension to fail and the wheel falling off caused the loss of brakes. The bearing and hub are held onto the steering knuckle with 4 bolts. Maybe they were over tightened or failed for some other reason.

Personally I would have an expert inspect the car and try to determine why the bearing failed, just in case someone sues you later for more than your insurance liability coverage. It's a good thing the accident report mentions the wheel came off before the accident which should help if you ever go to court.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 02-05-2013, 05:53 PM
Matching beemer & bimmer

Mein Auto: 1999 K1200 & 2001 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda Wolling View Post
so we are LONG TIME beemer owners and lovers
You're a long term beemer owner and lover - and - yet - you still don't even have a clue at what the word means?
Old 02-05-2013, 06:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2007' BMW 650i
Spot on as usual Yorgi.

+1

2007' BMW 650i Cabriolet | Stratus Metallic - Gray top
SMG Transmission | HUD | Logic 7 | Sport Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg
Adaptive Cruise Control | Comfort Access

Old 02-05-2013, 11:27 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaftdrive View Post
You're a long term beemer owner and lover - and - yet - you still don't even have a clue at what the word means?
Typically only guys who ride bikes know the difference between bimmer and beemer. Not even Hollywood can get it right (Mel Gibson/Bird on a Wire).
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 02-06-2013, 04:11 AM

Mein Auto: BMW M
One possibility is that someone was trying to steal your wheel, loosened the bolts only to be stymied by the wheel lock. Years ago that happened to my friend and both wheels flipped under the brake assembly.

I am also an attorney and I disagree. While it is true that if you get sued the insurance company will defend you, if they don't settle, and you go to trial you will spend countless hours of your life in depos and court. If they win, and the judgment exceeds your coverage you pay, and even if it doesn't you get hit with a judgment that will likely mess up your credit. I would hire a local trial attorney, pay to have the car inspected by a qualified expert inspector who is willing to testify in court and if the inspecetion show BMW or the dealer is at fault, make an insurance coverage demand now, and be prepared to cross claim against them if sued.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:07 AM

This is the reason I carry 250/500 liability and a million dollar umbrella policy!!!
Old 02-06-2013, 06:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaftdrive View Post
This is an important issue for you to post on... Really? Get a hobby.

Clearly Brenda has bigger issues to deal with than you finding a typo.

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Old 02-06-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampamark View Post
This is the reason I carry 250/500 liability and a million dollar umbrella policy!!!
Yep... same here but I went with the $2M umbrella

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Old 02-06-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseng View Post
this is an important issue for you to post on... Really? Get a hobby.

Clearly brenda has bigger issues to deal with than you finding a typo.
+1

Old 02-06-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseng View Post
This is an important issue for you to post on... Really? Get a hobby.

Clearly Brenda has bigger issues to deal with than you finding a typo.
I googled this since I had no idea what that dude was talking about, now I know the difference between Beemer and Bimmer (bike vs car). So now to the point, ownership means you know this? Who cares!!!

EVERYONE pronounces it Beemer no matter what regardless of spelling when saying Bimmer.

Back on topic, I think the OP had the one post and never came back, would love to hear what she plans on doing.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:39 AM

Mein Auto: Cars
Great advice guys but was this a ONE time only post?

Brenda...are you still with us? We would like to know how things are working out for you.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:08 PM

Yes I'm sorry I am and really appreciate everyone's advice. I need to respond to questions and will tonight.
Thanks!
Old 02-06-2013, 03:35 PM

Roseng, thank you for the support. Pretentious people don't bother me
Old 02-06-2013, 03:37 PM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
This really sucks. I would be very upset at a failure like this. I know the pain of losing your 6, but hopefully it will get sorted out for the best. Check out my RIP thread if you're interested. It might make you feel better!

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Old 02-06-2013, 04:10 PM
06 BMW 650i Sprt/Prem Pkg

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 650i e64
Several things come to mind so Ill do it in bullet statements...
1. Seek an attorney, the first visit is usually free. They will sue you and your insurance company no doubt...
2. Have the car inspected by someone the attorney supplies or from a reputable place that can inspect cars in these kind of accidents.
3. if possible after the first two, take the check, buy the car back from the insurance Co and part it out for whats still good, you'll be surprised on the amount of bank you can make from it.

Also you totaled 4 other cars plus yours.......... It must have been horrific.... Whats the complete story?

2006 BMW 650i Sport/Premium Package
+ Various Mods & Upgrades

Last edited by coug60; 02-06-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:52 AM

Mein Auto: '07 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampamark View Post
I googled this since I had no idea what that dude was talking about, now I know the difference between Beemer and Bimmer (bike vs car). So now to the point, ownership means you know this? Who cares!!!

EVERYONE pronounces it Beemer no matter what regardless of spelling when saying Bimmer.

Back on topic, I think the OP had the one post and never came back, would love to hear what she plans on doing.
+1 I had to read a wiki to know the difference too

+3 on Brenda having bigger issues

+1000 on this being one of the best online communities. Well said Greg(s)
HUD, Comfort Access

Old 02-08-2013, 11:35 AM

I wanted to update all of those that gave me advice on steps to take after my recent accident and also who feel my pain of loosing a 650i. My initial post was to gain information on what steps to take as a result of my accident and then to talk to other BMW owners to see if anything like this has ever happened before. As a result of my post, I was contacted by the BMW corporate office in the US and, to make a long story short, BMWs engineers and my insurance company are working together to come to an understanding of what exactly happened. I am in contact with an attorney and feel that I have all my ducks in a row. Mostly, I am grateful to hear that everyone involved in the accident seems to be doing well
I hope that within a week's time an evaluation is made by both BMW and insurance company, and hope that in the end, whatever the outcome, will benefit all of BMW drivers.
More to come….