Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 02-07-2013, 08:09 AM

Mein Auto: 1993 325is
Question Tranny swap manual to manual PROBLEM

The tale begins with my 93 325is 5 speed's 2nd gear syncro breaking. (a single thunk from down bellow and it acted as if it was in nuetral when in second from then on) I came across a doner transmission at a local pick your part but am having trouble installing it. After removing my getrag s5d 250g i compared them, both getrags, but the sttamp under the part number reading GETRAG is in a larger font and has an emblem on the new tranny. I was wondering if this was due to a later production or if its possible i got a euro 6 speed getrag . It seemed to be the same size and the mounting points looked the same so i proceeded. Heres were the problem comes in I got it all lined up, got the easily accesable bolts in, but when i got to the bolt that connects the starter and the tranny it wouldnt re-aline. Someone HELP what happened here did the starter shift while i was removing my original tranmission? is this a common problem? some solutions? (really dont want to go through the trouble of taking off the intake manifold and adjusting the starter) But if thats whats got to be done . All input on my dilema is much appreciated.

PS. The doner car was marked as a 94 M3 but it had 2.5L engine and a getrag transmission. The front and rear bumper covers and side skirts were removed but it was alpine white and had BMW motorsports door handles. Could this have been one of the few 94 325is M-techs ( or an more likely an imposter ) Well was just wondering what tranny the M-techs had in them so i will no forsure what the doner was ones the job is done

PPS. Turned 18 today! Much to learn so correct me if im wrong or have aquired any misleading information. Happy driving everyone.
Ads by Google
Old 02-07-2013, 09:43 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
i would say make sure all of the bolts are tightened properly and evenly. any alignment dowels should be free from debris, which could prevent the assembly from coming together smoothly.

6spd trans should bolt to the engine, but trans mounts and driveshaft would be different, iirc.

go back and recheck the basics.

happy bithday, too.

df