Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:27 PM
Engineer

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytofu View Post
I just wait until the idle drops to about 600, which is about 1 minute.
+1

I do this too. I just wait for idle RPMs to drop and the time varies with temperature. I also noticed that the exhaust from cold start only comes out of the right tailpipe, which produces a lot of noise. After awhile, the left tailpipe opens up. Does this help warm up the engine faster?
Old 01-04-2013, 04:37 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbrahmin View Post
Despite what the manual says, when I had a one-on-one discussion with a BMW tech a few weeks ago he encouraged me (on a cold start) to let the engine warm up for at least a minute or so before driving because oil needs to reach the turbocharger.

I also asked the tech about shutdown. He said that it is unnecessary to let the engine cool down before shutting it off.
This may be right. Past two weeks we've had nights in the 30s. In the AM my F30 is beyond sluggish. I've made it to work (5-6 miles) and the oil temp is still below 160.

Last edited by brkf; 01-04-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Many things
Quote:
Originally Posted by brkf View Post
This may be right. Past two weeks we've had nights in the 30s. In the AM my F30 is beyond sluggish. I've made it to work (5-6 miles) and the oil temp is still below 160.
If you are driving that short of a distance and the engine is not coming up to full temp you are doing more damage than good, in the long run.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:26 AM

Mein Auto: e90 m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbrahmin View Post
I agree that cars warm up more quickly now than before. But in any event, from a cold start I don't touch the gas pedal until the (fast) idle kicks down. In the F30, that's about the same time that the exhaust flap opens.
I thought it starts with all open then goes back to closed. So glad i live in socal. Cant stand the cold!!

BPM stage2 + servo tune - POS exhaust - catless - driver mod (ongoing)

Last edited by pkim1079; 01-07-2013 at 01:30 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by samualcc View Post
There is no need for this. There are legions of BMWs, both turbo and non turbo models operating today. Most people just turn the car on and go. You are just wasting time and gas!

Legions, Sammy?

Wikipedia says:

"Legion are a group of demons referred to in the Christian Bible. The New Testament outlines an encounter where Jesus healed a man from Gadarenes possessed by demons while traveling, known as Exorcising the Gerasenes demonic."

"A demon is a supernatural, often malevolent being prevalent in religion, occultism, literature, and folklore. The original Greek word daimon does not carry the negative connotation initially understood by implementation of the Koine ***948;***945;***953;***956;***972;***957;***953;* **959;***957; [Bimmerfrest won't display the characters....possibly they carry an occult charge] (daimonion),[1] and later ascribed to any cognate words sharing the root.

In Ancient Near Eastern religions as well as in the Abrahamic traditions, including ancient and medieval Christian demonology, a demon is considered an unclean spirit, more specifically an evil angel, which may cause demonic possession, calling for an exorcism. In Western occultism and Renaissance magic, which grew out of an amalgamation of Greco-Roman magic, Jewish demonology, and Christian tradition,[2] a demon is a spiritual entity that may be conjured and controlled."

Careful!

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 01-09-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:28 AM
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)

Mein Auto: F30 335i MSpt- Mus GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Legions, Sammy?

Wikipedia says:

"Legion are a group of demons referred to in the Christian Bible. The New Testament outlines an encounter where Jesus healed a man from Gadarenes possessed by demons while traveling, known as Exorcising the Gerasenes demonic."

"A demon is a supernatural, often malevolent being prevalent in religion, occultism, literature, and folklore. The original Greek word daimon does not carry the negative connotation initially understood by implementation of the Koine (daimonion),[1] and later ascribed to any cognate words sharing the root.

In Ancient Near Eastern religions as well as in the Abrahamic traditions, including ancient and medieval Christian demonology, a demon is considered an unclean spirit, more specifically an evil angel, which may cause demonic possession, calling for an exorcism. In Western occultism and Renaissance magic, which grew out of an amalgamation of Greco-Roman magic, Jewish demonology, and Christian tradition,[2] a demon is a spiritual entity that may be conjured and controlled."

Careful!

?
From Dictionary.com-

le·gion [lee-juhn]
noun
a division of the Roman army, usually comprising 3000 to 6000 soldiers.
a military or semimilitary unit.
the Legion.
a.
American Legion.
b.
foreign legion ( def 2 ) .
any large group of armed men.
5. any great number of persons or things; multitude.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

2013 335i M Sport- EBII / BLACK / Dk Walnut
Pkgs-Prem/ DHP/ Tech/ DA/DA+ Opts- 8Sprt AT/ Htd FS/ HK/ Hi Bm Asst/ 403 19" w/perf

ED#2-04/23/13-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
ED#1-10/10/05-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
Old 01-09-2013, 10:08 AM

Mein Auto: F30 335i Superman M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by virus86 View Post
+1

I do this too. I just wait for idle RPMs to drop and the time varies with temperature. I also noticed that the exhaust from cold start only comes out of the right tailpipe, which produces a lot of noise. After awhile, the left tailpipe opens up. Does this help warm up the engine faster?
I think this is to warm up the catalytic converter faster.

2013 BMW 335i Sedan Estoril Blue II M Sport 2PF|6MT|ZDH|ZTP|Coral Red Leather|688|508
2007 Nissan Sentra SE-R
Old 01-09-2013, 03:17 PM
Donkeybike?

Mein Auto: HP2Sport - R1200GS - F30
Catalytic converters are modern cars are as close to the exhaust headers as possible; this eliminates you needing to 'warm up the car' before driving off.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsbuc View Post

le·gion [lee-juhn]
noun
a division of the Roman army, usually comprising 3000 to 6000 soldiers.
a military or semimilitary unit.
the Legion.
a.
American Legion.
b.
foreign legion ( def 2 ) .
any large group of armed men.
5. any great number of persons or things; multitude.

Great Scot, man!

Don't believe everything you read....it's well known that divisions of the Roman [Italian] Army do not and have not gathered in BMW's.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sedan
Just opening up this thread again to ask related question about turbo 'warm up'.
Some one here mentioned that f30 will limit turbo boost when oil is not warm enough. True?
I noticed any oil temp starts moving after about 10-15 mins of driving and it gets up to 200 degrees after about 18-20 mins or so... So my question is, I try to keep my car rpm below 3k first 5-10mins then below 4k until oil temp goes up to around 200 degrees then I feel like I can floor it... Well is it safe to step on it a little bit more even when oil temp is below 200? Will turbo be damaged or warn out more if not warmed up? At what temp is turbo warmed up?

Sorry for so many questions! Appreciate if anyone can share your thoughts on this. My commutes are pretty short so don't get to easy the car unless I just go out for a joy ride. Hoping I can enjoy during my regular commutes.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
Old 02-06-2013, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: Everything
Funny this topic came up. I was just about to post my own when, I saw this.

Quote:
Well is it safe to step on it a little bit more even when oil temp is below 200?
IMHO: I would wait until the needle stabilizes 180, 2000 whatever it is.

Now to completely highjack this thread.
I have a short 10 mile drive to work. The first 2 miles are through the neighborhood at slow speeds then, I hit the highway to work for 8 miles. On all my other cars, they're warmed up before I make the turn onto the highway. On the N20, I'm still sitting at 160 when I'm 8 miles down the road.

I was beginning to think I had a defective thermostat but, from reading this post it may be normal. Are others noticing the same thing? Slow warm-up?
Old 02-06-2013, 09:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchattod View Post

I have a short 10 mile drive to work. The first 2 miles are through the neighborhood at slow speeds then, I hit the highway to work for 8 miles. On all my other cars, they're warmed up before I make the turn onto the highway. On the N20, I'm still sitting at 160 when I'm 8 miles down the road.

I was beginning to think I had a defective thermostat but, from reading this post it may be normal. Are others noticing the same thing? Slow warm-up?
Yep, mine takes 10-12 miles at highway speed to get the oil fully warmed up. I'm pretty sure the coolant gets up to temp much sooner, so I've never worried about it.

I did ask the dealer about the slow warmup and they (as usual) say it's normal.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:36 AM

Mein Auto: ~
Quote:
On all my other cars, they're warmed up before I make the turn onto the highway. On the N20, I'm still sitting at 160 when I'm 8 miles down the road.
Your other cars probably have coolant temperature gauges, where the F30 is oil temp.

Coolant warms much faster than oil and coolant temp gauges accordingly register faster. The reverse is also true; coolant will be at a lower temperature before the oil cools.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:

Haha, not highjacking the thread, just making it broad. My question is similar to yours. Since the temp goes up so slowly, I'm wondering if I can enjoy the short commutes. I just wait until temp is hight enough.
Mine just takes 10-15 mins to get up there. If my friends wants to go for a ride to show off the car, I can't do it because I gotta tell him we need to wait 10-15 mins of driving. Never can do short drive. I try to make my short drives long because of this reason.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:56 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Quote:
Originally Posted by virus86 View Post
+1

Yes. The exhaust that isn't coming out of the other tailpipe is helping warm up the cats. You'll notice a lot of exhaust coming from the one that's open one until the flap opens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:59 PM
Re-Badged

Remember folks, the most efficient way of warming up your car is NOT let it sit and idle. Get in the car and drive off. This will warm the car up(Tires,Diff,Transmission,Fluids,Cats) all at the same time. Get in the car, let the RPM's drop(30 seconds to 1 minute) and drive off. I went over this exact topic with a Client earlier this week. Optimal conditions are achieved more quickly by doing this.
Quote:

Last edited by -=Hot|Ice=-; 02-06-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
Remember folks, the most efficient way of warming up your car is NOT let it sit and idle. Get in the car and drive off. This will warm the car up(Tires,Diff,Transmission,Fluids,Cats) all at the same time. Get in the car, let the RPM's drop(30 seconds to 1 minute) and drive off. I went over this exact topic with a Client earlier this week. Optimal conditions are achieved more quickly by doing this.
That's good info. Then how long do you drive until it's warmed up? When should I step on it little bit more and when can I floor it?

Old 02-07-2013, 12:08 AM
Re-Badged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeksoo View Post
That's good info. Then how long do you drive until it's warmed up? When should I step on it little bit more and when can I floor it?

For the first 10-15 minutes, keep it under 4,000 rpm until the engine gets to operating temperature. After that you can gradually start opening her up.
Quote:
Old 02-07-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
For the first 10-15 minutes, keep it under 4,000 rpm until the engine gets to operating temperature. After that you can gradually start opening her up.
Alright, that's what I TRY to do. This confirms what I'm doing is appropriate. Appreciate it!