Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335, 2013 328
Glove box/passenger dash rattle cured

Hi,

I finally managed to figure out what was causing any annoying rattling from the glove box or passenger side dash in my 700 mile car. I had taken it to the dealer twice and they said they had a tech check it and make adjustments, but whatever they did had no effect. So the other day I spent some time going over each of the little nuts that are accessible in the area. I used a torque wrench to remove the screws so I could measure how tight they were from the factory. I read around 12-15 lbs, except for one nut below and about 2 inches from the front of the glove box door. That nut came loose with less than 8 pounds. I re-torqued it to 18 lbs and the rattle is gone.

The car is now rattle free, even when go I over some rough spots of our fine California highways. More importantly I no longer have constant annoyance that made the car feel cheap.

Jerry
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2013, 08:42 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Next time you contact the dealer you should ask the service manager why his techs are incapable of doing this simple task and why he thinks his service department should receive 10s on the survey. Glad you found the problem!!

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 02-01-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Next time you contact the dealer you should ask the service manager why his techs are incapable of doing this simple task and why he thinks his service department should receive 10s on the survey. Glad you found the problem!!
10s on the survey?? Not happening on this visit. I am thinking a 4-5 on ability for making a failed effort and maybe an 8 on hospitality for greeting me and providing me a coffee.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 335i
was it a rattle or squeak?
I have a dash squeak that's driving me nuts..
Old 02-01-2013, 04:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i F30 Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrykur View Post
Hi,

I finally managed to figure out what was causing any annoying rattling from the glove box or passenger side dash in my 700 mile car. I had taken it to the dealer twice and they said they had a tech check it and make adjustments, but whatever they did had no effect. So the other day I spent some time going over each of the little nuts that are accessible in the area. I used a torque wrench to remove the screws so I could measure how tight they were from the factory. I read around 12-15 lbs, except for one nut below and about 2 inches from the front of the glove box door. That nut came loose with less than 8 pounds. I re-torqued it to 18 lbs and the rattle is gone.

The car is now rattle free, even when go I over some rough spots of our fine California highways. More importantly I no longer have constant annoyance that made the car feel cheap.

Jerry
The same thing is happening to me, and it is driving me NUTS! I brought the car in once and they re-fastened the trim, did nothing. I went back today and took the tech on a test drive... The car was silent!! It rattled about 70% of the time. I will try this.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suneil View Post
was it a rattle or squeak?
I have a dash squeak that's driving me nuts..
Mine was definitely a rattle, but a squeak could be caused by something coming loose and letting things move around. You could try tightening up the fasteners. They are all pretty small and connecting pieces of plastic so do not over-tighten them. Just nice and snug.

Best of luck.

Jerry
Old 02-06-2013, 02:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i Sport
Quote:
Hi,

Jerry
Jerry, can you take a photo and circle the screw that was the problem? Mine is driving me crazy!
Old 02-06-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Mine was definitely a rattle, but a squeak could be caused by something coming loose and letting things move around. You could try tightening up the fasteners. They are all pretty small and connecting pieces of plastic so do not over-tighten them. Just nice and snug.

Best of luck.

Jerry

I definately need a photo of where you are taking about. I just went out and looked and I don't see any fasteners that are in plain view. Are you pulling off trim from the inside of the glove box? Are you talking about fasteners that hold the glove box door or something underneith the whole thing?
Old 02-06-2013, 03:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i F30 Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken335i View Post
Jerry, can you take a photo and circle the screw that was the problem? Mine is driving me crazy!
I would appreciate this as well. Thanks!
Old 02-06-2013, 05:44 PM

I will try to get a picture, but in the meantime run you hand underneath the glove box. There is a panel and about 1-2 inches from the front and on the sides are the nuts sitting in a well.

Last edited by jerrykur; 02-06-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:07 AM

Found them! You really have to stand on your head to see them. They are 10mm nuts on a stud. I only saw two them and tightened them slightly. No rattles during the test drive! They were loose enough that I could easily turn them by hand just using the socket extender.

Love you man for figuring this out!
Old 02-07-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken335i View Post
Found them! You really have to stand on your head to see them. They are 10mm nuts on a stud. I only saw two them and tightened them slightly. No rattles during the test drive! They were loose enough that I could easily turn them by hand just using the socket extender.

Love you man for figuring this out!
Great. I will thank my wife. She was patient enough to drive over and over a rough patch of road while I crawled around under the dash.

BTW, what does this say about BMW QA that these nuts are obviously not being tightened correctly at the factory?

Ken, my car was assembled in South Africa, where was yours assembled?

Last edited by jerrykur; 02-07-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 335i F30 Sedan
Quote:
Great. I will thank my wife. She was patient enough to drive over and over a rough patch of road while I crawled around under the dash.
We need pictures of this!
Old 02-07-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:

BTW, what does this say about BMW QA that these nuts are obviously not being tightened correctly at the factory?

Ken, my car was assembled in South Africa, where was yours assembled?
Mine was assembled in Germany. Looks like they need to change the glove box production/installation instructions - torque nuts past thumb-tight.

I'm just so happy that I don't have to drop the car off at the dealer and possibly get into a fix-it twirl. I like a tight car!