Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 02-06-2013, 09:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 740i
Alarm & key issues

Hello everyone, this is my first post hope I get it right. I just bought a 2000 740i and it only came with one key which didn't have a battery. I'm wondering if the BMW alarm works or can be activated without remote...please help. I do know I also need to order an extra key along with programming both keys. Suggestion would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130206_110803.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	361250  

Last edited by Lmd310; 02-07-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 02-07-2013, 12:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Smile Things you need to know about BMW keys....

Anytime the car is locked from the outside using a key manually in the door lock cylinder...or with a remote key...the car's central locking system (FZV) is double-locked and the alarm siren system (DWA) is set. Another way to verify that the alarm siren system is set is by looking at the red LED on the dash (see chart below).

Again, FZV/DWA/EWS (central locking/anti-theft alarm siren/immobilizing system) all work in conjunction with each other even though they are complete independent systems to lock/arm/immobilize the car. This occurs with all the keys...not just the remote keys. The remote key(s) only bring "wireless" initiation to the party by using the buttons on the remote key...other than that...it is just like the non-remote keys and can be used manually to initate all of the 3 features aforementioned.

To get a remote key...go to your local BMW dealership and order using the correct part nbr below for your build date. The only programming that will be required after receiving the key is for FZV/DWA operation. The EWS chip will already be assigned the correct ISN for you vehicle based on the ordering process that will require your car's VIN. The EWS chip will have the same ISN (individual serial number) that has already been assigned to your EWS control module & ECU/DME from the time it rolled off the factory line:

(EWS programmed as it comes off the assembly line)

If your local BMW dealer won't program your key to lock/unlock & arm/disarm your car for free...then tell them thankyou very much and walk out to your car in the parking lot and perform the procedure below:

BMW key part nbrs and types:

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg
Old 02-07-2013, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 740i
Thanx, for the information, I'm still confused because I've read everything & still nothing. First I bought a new battery for my 1 & only key and the led light doesn't even come on so don't even know if it's good. Also tried every step but nothing so I'm giving up on remote entry for now. What really confused me even more was putting my key into the trunk lock & turning & the lights flash & beep once locking all doors & turn key right beeps twice unlocking my doors...the trunk doesn't even open thru all this.... what the hell is going on with this. Does anyone know where to get my other keys cheap ???? STILL ONLY HAVE 1 KEY but it works for everything in vehicle.

Last edited by Lmd310; 02-07-2013 at 03:10 PM.