Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1999 528i
Any experience with Zexius Xi 326 Tires?

When I bought my car about 4 years ago it had Zexius Xi326 tires; 225/45/17. I hated them. They road like cement and tramlined worse than any tire I have ever driven on. I think they may be great on a completely smooth flat track surface. Anyhow, near as I can tell they are some brand made for and sold by Les Schwab Tires. Other than that, I don't know what the hell they are. Has anyone had experience with these tires? I've thought about just giving them away to some kid who wanted some wide low profile tires on his ricer. Or, are they worth trying to sell?
I don't know. What I do know is that I'm a hundred times happier with my Michelin Pilot Sports.
Ads by Google
Old 02-07-2013, 01:26 PM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
You betcha'! Life is too short to drive on cheap Korean tires (or drink cheap wine).

And you only had to pay 2-3X for the contentment. You're ahead of the game - recycle 'em.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

Last edited by edjack; 02-07-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Hello Jim. i never heard about the "Zexius" brand.
But, in Montana you must have similar weather we have here in Calgary.
Just some food for thought: As summer tires I use Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position. Which are UHP All-season rated (which you need for early spring / late fall). I can vouch for them as being exceptional in dry and wet. They are almost as grippy as dedicated UHP summer tires, with very hard sidewalls, making the car feel very stable in any cornering situation. Last spring there was a snow storm when i had them on, and they performed OK, not as good as winter tires (which is expected), but I could drive, which is something considering the covered road surfaces, which in some spots were slushy, other spots icy, and other with packed snow. And, yes, this setup is staggered....so, not for winter, but it worked for couple days until it melted. If you need tires take a hard look at these. Recommended.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 02-07-2013, 01:56 PM
Slip slidin around town

Mein Auto: E36 M3
I am also a schwab "customer" and I you really get what you pay for with the private lable tires they sell. I beleive they are designed after a set of falkens, I think I got about 30k out of mine and never bothered to go that route again. Tires are the only contact your car has with the road, BFG-force tires are my favorite.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:57 PM

For the past couple of years, I've just left the Michelins on and not driven the car when the weather and roads were bad. I just leave it in the garage and turn the hubs in on my Nissan truck. But, I really need to buy some winter tires next year so I can drive my car in case of an emergency at least. So, I'll keep your recommendation in mind. Thanks for the thoughts. I think my daughter and her husband who live in Helena have Potenzas on one of their Toyota SUVs and Blizzaks on the other. I've not heard them complain about either except the Blizzaks don't wear well.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
I cheaped out this time with my winter set and went with Blizzaks. They're not as good as the Nokian Hakkapeliita I had before, but for the price I can't complain. Not sure how fast they wear. The Nokians I sold with the wheels and after 4 long winters they had about 70 - 75% thread left, but for a winter tire that's not much. They started to have some slip here and there. I would say at 75% they are on par or maybe tad better than the Blizzaks new. You get what you pay for I guess.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 02-07-2013, 10:32 PM

I have a set of very aggressive Hankooks with studs that I ran for one winter. They stuck like glue in the snow and on ice. But, they are incredibly noisy and on dry roads I don't trust studs. So, they sit in the shed. I'm not sure what to do with them either. Maybe I'll just give them away also.