Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i 2013 Sport Line
Easy access seats

I have an F30 on order. Does the driver seat automatically move back for easier exit and move up when starting the car?
Ads by Google
Old 02-07-2013, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmermeupscoty View Post
I have an F30 on order. Does the driver seat automatically move back for easier exit and move up when starting the car?
Nope
Old 02-07-2013, 09:46 AM

Mein Auto: 328i xDrive
Not automatically the way some other cars do, but you have two memory positions by the buttons per key fob, and if iDrive is set to 'last position' that's a third 'memorized' position.

So, you could set one of the memory buttons for the seat to be in your preferred 'easy access' position, say button 1, and the other to your preferred driving position, say button 2. Open the driver's door and press button 1 and the seat will motor it's way to that position. Sit down and press button 2 and the seat will motor its way to your preferred driving position.

Alternatively, if you have 'last seat position' set in iDrive, before exiting the vehicle you could pressure button 1 to position the seat for 'easy access'. The next time you unlock or open the driver's door with your key fob, the seat will position itself to this button 1 'easy access' position (of course if the other fob had not unlocked/opened the driver's door the seat would already be in this position). Sit down and press button 2 to move to your preferred driving position.

Admittedly it takes a few more steps than the method used in some other vehicles. For example in the Lexus our 328 replaced, opening the driver's door would move the seat back all the way (and the motorized steering wheel up), then once you closed the door it would position the seat (and steering wheel) to your memorized position. You did have, however, only one memorized position per key fob.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:14 PM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Mein Auto: 435, Grand Cherokee
I never understood why they can't include this seemingly simple option.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:30 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snareman View Post
Germans don't think like Americans.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 02-07-2013, 09:31 PM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Mein Auto: 435, Grand Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Hence the fine German cup holders.

But... they sell a ton of cars to Americans and there are modifications for their cars for Americans. so you'd think they'd take some cues.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:51 PM

Mein Auto: F30 335i
Sounds like early seat motor replacement....

F30 335i
Old 02-07-2013, 11:36 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:

But... they sell a ton of cars to Americans and there are modifications for their cars for Americans. so you'd think they'd take some cues.
When they were re-designing the F25 X3 the BMWNA people sent 7-11 Big Gulp cups over to Germany to helpconvey to the the kind of cup holders Americans expect. In Germany they don't understand the concept that people would be drinking a soda while driving. The infamous pop-out cup holders on the E9x 3ers are not even included on European models. There's just a solid trim piece in their place.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 02-08-2013, 12:12 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
If I can be shallow for a moment I'd say it sends the wrong message about their target clientele. Is BMW the brand for people who need help getting in and out of their cars?

In all seriousness it should be easy to add as an option. As long as it can be disabled I'm fine with it.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:22 AM

I am coming from a 2004 G35 which has it. I have enjoyed it because I have long legs and they hit the steering wheel when I enter the car if my seat is where it is positioned to drive.

And yes, you can turn it off.

And no, it has not failed in 9 years.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Do you want a Buick or a BMW?

Honestly, of all the features I want in a car, this never comes to mind.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:
I am coming from a 2004 G35 which has it. I have enjoyed it because I have long legs and they hit the steering wheel when I enter the car if my seat is where it is positioned to drive.

And yes, you can turn it off.

And no, it has not failed in 9 years.
If your long legs hit the steering wheel then the answer is not to move the seat back its move the steering wheel "UP"when you get out of the car like they do in the 5 series. Then that would add on to the cost of the F30 and people would be whining about that.
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats

Last edited by vern; 02-08-2013 at 06:13 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
If your long legs hit the steering wheel then the answer is not to move the seat back its move the steering wheel "UP"when you get out of the car like they do in the 5 series. Then that would add on to the cost of the F30 and people would be whining about that.
cheers
vern
Yeah, my Cadillac CTS did that, and I really didn't like it, because I used to keep my laptop bag behind the driver seat in the back, and when the seat automatically moved back, it would pinch my laptop bag between the front seat and back seat, and then I would have hard time getting it out.

I used to think to myself, "what a pain in the ass this is."

I finally started to put it in the trunk instead.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:35 AM

Wink

First of all, when I started this thread I was not whining, I simply asked if it had this feature. While I have found it helpful, I am sure I can live without it.

Second, its pretty funny how people can rail about a feature near and dear to their hearts, but dismiss as silly features they are not interested in.

One can argue the critical importance of cup holders , lack of wind noise, etc. And others can suggest that if you want quiet you should buy a Buick.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
First of all, when I started this thread I was not whining, I simply asked if it had this feature. While I have found it helpful, I am sure I can live without it.

Second, its pretty funny how people can rail about a feature near and dear to their hearts, but dismiss as silly features they are not interested in.

One can argue the critical importance of cup holders , lack of wind noise, etc. And others can suggest that if you want quiet you should buy a Buick.
That's a fair response.

If you post something on the 'fest, a lot of people are going to agree with you, but a lot of people are going to be brutally honest about what they think too...

Just look at all the threads about color combinations.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
Yeah, my Cadillac CTS did that, and I really didn't like it, because I used to keep my laptop bag behind the driver seat in the back, and when the seat automatically moved back, it would pinch my laptop bag between the front seat and back seat, and then I would have hard time getting it out.

I used to think to myself, "what a pain in the ass this is."

I finally started to put it in the trunk instead.
Krash,I think you might want to re read the post. I was talking about moving the steering wheel up
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 02-08-2013, 08:51 AM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Two features that I had on other cars that I miss on my E93 are power steering wheel adjustments that are linked to the driver settings and the drivers seat and steering wheel that moves back automatically when you open the door. This feature can save wear and tear on the seat side bolsters, particularly if the car is equipped with the sport seats.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 02-08-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:34 AM
328i xDrive Commuter

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive Sport
Quote:

Quote:

I live in the Detroit area and know many people in the automotive industry. One of the stories that had always struck me on how the Germans (or Europeans) think was from a European company's North American Engineer. The story goes about how the company wanted some fresh designs that would be attractive to American buyers. So the company brought in some engineers from Germany to spend a couple of weeks in North America driving across the country. They were to spend time with the North American employees to view America, the people and the culture. This was to help the designers and engineers to better understand the Americans. The idea was to help their engineers and designers take their new found revelations and design better vehicles for the Americas (this was a couple decades ago when the national speed limit was still 55).

The story goes about the Engineer that got off the plane and into the car figuring on driving from Detroit to Los Angeles on the first afternoon, enjoy the LA night life, then, the next day, head up the coast to Washington. He thought he could see the whole continent with their allotted time! (remember that this is around the time of Germany's unification and all of Eastern Europe could easily fit in the Northeast US, most Europeans including engineers and designers did not understand the vastness of the America). My understanding is that the Germans felt cars did not need cup holders, it would distract the driver and was not necessary (it is very rare to spend a full day in the car in Europe, when driving across countries, some countries are smaller than Rode island and besides, each border is a full stop). Anyways, when they were going across the plains and through the mountains for that 2000 mile drive from the Motor City to LA (at 55 MPH), they started to understand why Americans tend to like larger more comfort minded vehicle, with cup holders! After that, it is said that the cars started getting designed with the cup holders.

I do not know how true the story is and may have some details wrong, but the story is to illustrate the cultural differences and how you judge and think based on your experiences, this effort was to get people to view things from a different perspective. That being said, IMO, I personally think the new F30, designed with the cup holder in front of the shifter (not behind the shifter) and having room for a water bottle in each door was very well thought out. It is certainly better than the E90 cup holder that pops out of the dash (less prone to break). I wonder if it was designed from an American perspective.

2013 328i xDrive / 8-Speed / Imperial Blue / Everest Grey / Sport Package / Premium Package / Tech Package / Heated Seats

Last edited by kpgray; 02-08-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:04 AM

Mein Auto: 328i F30
F30 should have electrically adjustable steering column. The C-Class has it, can't remember if the A4 I tried had it.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgray View Post
I live in the Detroit area and know many people in the automotive industry. One of the stories that had always struck me on how the Germans (or Europeans) think was from a European company's North American Engineer. The story goes about how the company wanted some fresh designs that would be attractive to American buyers. So the company brought in some engineers from Germany to spend a couple of weeks in North America driving across the country. They were to spend time with the North American employees to view America, the people and the culture. This was to help the designers and engineers to better understand the Americans. The idea was to help their engineers and designers take their new found revelations and design better vehicles for the Americas (this was a couple decades ago when the national speed limit was still 55).

The story goes about the Engineer that got off the plane and into the car figuring on driving from Detroit to Los Angeles on the first afternoon, enjoy the LA night life, then, the next day, head up the coast to Washington. He thought he could see the whole continent with their allotted time! (remember that this is around the time of Germany's unification and all of Eastern Europe could easily fit in the Northeast US, most Europeans including engineers and designers did not understand the vastness of the America). My understanding is that the Germans felt cars did not need cup holders, it would distract the driver and was not necessary (it is very rare to spend a full day in the car in Europe, when driving across countries, some countries are smaller than Rode island and besides, each border is a full stop). Anyways, when they were going across the plains and through the mountains for that 2000 mile drive from the Motor City to LA (at 55 MPH), they started to understand why Americans tend to like larger more comfort minded vehicle, with cup holders! After that, it is said that the cars started getting designed with the cup holders.

I do not know how true the story is and may have some details wrong, but the story is to illustrate the cultural differences and how you judge and think based on your experiences, this effort was to get people to view things from a different perspective. That being said, IMO, I personally think the new F30, designed with the cup holder in front of the shifter (not behind the shifter) and having room for a water bottle in each door was very well thought out. It is certainly better than the E90 cup holder that pops out of the dash (less prone to break). I wonder if it was designed from an American perspective.
Interesting and funny story. I do think the cup holders were designed from an American perspective. Have to give them credit, the cup holders in the 2009 F01/02 7er were the first big improvement.

Interesting to me that the space/size perspective of the U.S. is hard even for Americans to comprehend. Being from Texas I'm always amused to hear people from the east coast talk about the distance of their travels. In Texas if you take a five hour drive you will very likely still be in Texas. Most everyone is familiar with DFW/Dallas-Fort Worth. From Fort Worth to the north Dallas area is about 70 miles, and you're still in the DFW Metroplex. I moved to Chicago recently and last January I went to the NAIAS (didn't get to go this year). At first the thought of going never even occurred to me. Then I realized I was only a five hour drive from Detroit. It is always interesting to me when I think of all the places I can drive to from Chicago in five hours.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:22 PM
328i xDrive Commuter

Quote:
Interesting and funny story. I do think the cup holders were designed from an American perspective. Have to give them credit, the cup holders in the 2009 F01/02 7er were the first big improvement.

Interesting to me that the space/size perspective of the U.S. is hard even for Americans to comprehend. Being from Texas I'm always amused to hear people from the east coast talk about the distance of their travels. In Texas if you take a five hour drive you will very likely still be in Texas. Most everyone is familiar with DFW/Dallas-Fort Worth. From Fort Worth to the north Dallas area is about 70 miles, and you're still in the DFW Metroplex. I moved to Chicago recently and last January I went to the NAIAS (didn't get to go this year). At first the thought of going never even occurred to me. Then I realized I was only a five hour drive from Detroit. It is always interesting to me when I think of all the places I can drive to from Chicago in five hours.
tturedraider, The first time I was in Texas 30 years ago, I was in Baytown (east of Houston). I remember seeing the mile marker 810 on Interstate 10 (that means 810 miles to the new Mexico border for those who would not know... ). The first time I saw that I thought, Holy S--t! the drive from north of Detroit through Ohio, Kentucky and Tennessee all the way down to Atlanta, Georgia is a shorter 750 miles as they say, everything IS bigger in Texas. I think it only makes sense to have an 85 MPH speed limit in some of the more remote locations there! The other state of incredible distance is Montana where it is over 700 miles starting from I-94 North Dakota border to the I-90 Idaho state line, it made sense to have a speed limit of "Reasonable and Prudent", However I was disappointed when I was in Montana this last summer, I discovered they changed the speed law and now only have a 75 MPH speed limit.

2013 328i xDrive / 8-Speed / Imperial Blue / Everest Grey / Sport Package / Premium Package / Tech Package / Heated Seats

Last edited by kpgray; 02-08-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:35 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
I gotta throw in a plug for California if we're comparing distances from one end of a state to the other.

"Southern California" as it is popularly known extends from the San Ysidro border in San Diego, through Orange County, LA and LA County, all the way up to around Simi Valley in Ventura County, a distance of about 175 miles before one gets to the California Central Valley.

From there it's another 381 miles to San Francisco, what most people refer to as "Northern California", but there's still another 334 miles to the Oregon border (although most people would say it's not worth driving north of Wine Country!), for a grand total of almost 800 miles from Mexico to Oregon.

Take the Coast Highway from San Diego up to Monterey and you've got one of the longest, if not the most scenic roads in the country, particularly when you get north of Santa Monica. That beats driving across Texas!
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Last edited by SD Z4MR; 02-08-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:08 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
On the East Coast you could drive 575 miles from Herndon, Va to Kennebunkport, Maine and drive in 11 states plus the District of Columbia. The states are Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Maine.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 02-09-2013, 12:50 PM
328i xDrive Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Z4MR View Post
I gotta throw in a plug for California if we're comparing distances from one end of a state to the other.

"Southern California" as it is popularly known extends from the San Ysidro border in San Diego, through Orange County, LA and LA County, all the way up to around Simi Valley in Ventura County, a distance of about 175 miles before one gets to the California Central Valley.

From there it's another 381 miles to San Francisco, what most people refer to as "Northern California", but there's still another 334 miles to the Oregon border (although most people would say it's not worth driving north of Wine Country!), for a grand total of almost 800 miles from Mexico to Oregon.

Take the Coast Highway from San Diego up to Monterey and you've got one of the longest, if not the most scenic roads in the country, particularly when you get north of Santa Monica. That beats driving across Texas!
You are right, I guess I was only thinking of the Central US. So we have 800 miles across Texas, 800 miles up California, 750 miles across Montana, and here in Michigan if you start at the Ohio border, go north on I-75 through the Motor City, across the Mackinaw Bridge and turn west on US-2 to Ironwood, Michigan on the Wisconsin border, you will have covered a measly 656 miles. However I think the longest is from the Florida panhandle to south Florida. Driving from Pensacola to Miami is 673 miles. But if you add the distance from the Alabama border and add out to Key West, that gives you another 173 miles for a whopping 846 miles!

Old 02-09-2013, 04:52 PM

Mein Auto: F30 335i
Uhmmm...wasn't this thread about something else?

F30 335i