Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335i sport line
I am looking at the RAM mount parts I received today from gpscity and here's my concern. The widest opening of the clamp that I am intending to mount in F30 is about 1.3 inches. Could you guys do me a favor and measure the "arm" inside your F30 that extends from the dashboard down to the center part where iDrive controls are placed? I am indicating both in the photos below. I am simply afraid the clamp is not going to be wide enough to mount it where I would like it to go.

Chiba - sorry for "borrowing" one of your pics. I have no car to photograph at the moment's notice yet

Old 02-06-2013, 02:48 PM

Mein Auto: BMW!
No problem, I'll go to the garage and measure now. I do wish the arrows properly matched the red Sport trim but I'll let it slide :P
Old 02-06-2013, 03:09 PM

I don't think it's going to work but you never know..

towards the base it's 1.5 and it narrows a but not quite enough for your clamp it seems
the middle is around 1.4 inches and the top dosen't seem to have enough lip for anything to grab on to. It was hard to photograph because I had to use my phone's direct flash..

Perhaps you can try it out at your dealership on a demo car?
Did you get the Ram a can or suction cup end?

Chiba

Last edited by chiba; 02-06-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:21 PM

Thanks so much for doing this, the pic is perfect! I didn't get the ram a can as I want to try the clamp first. I want the cup holders available. Lots of long trips - I like coffee I found another little piece of hardware that came with the clamp. It allows the clamp to open about 1.5 inches so we might be right there. It's going to be a tight fit but it should work. I may be able to stop at my local dealership tomorrow and test it out. If it doesn't work at least I have plenty of time to return it and get the ram a can or think about a different solution! Thanks so much for all your help!!

Old 02-06-2013, 03:26 PM

My pleasure,

Remember - if you do end up ram-a-canning it, you have a cup holder for one coffee and if you have someone else with you there are 2 more in the centre arm rest of the back seats. I can reach mine over there..
Today the back seat arm rest wasn't down so I told my wife to hold her Tim Hortons! hah

Chiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM1975 View Post
Thanks so much for doing this, the pic is perfect! I didn't get the ram a can as I want to try the clamp first. I want the cup holders available. Lots of long trips - I like coffee I found another little piece of hardware that came with the clamp. It allows the clamp to open about 1.5 inches so we might be right there. It's going to be a tight fit but it should work. I may be able to stop at my local dealership tomorrow and test it out. If it doesn't work at least I have plenty of time to return it and get the ram a can or think about a different solution! Thanks so much for all your help!!

Last edited by chiba; 02-06-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:09 PM

Mein Auto: F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM1975 View Post

I have ordered the same product and should be receiving it in the next 2 days or so. I'll install that in my F30 and take some pictures of it installed. You should get a better idea by that.
I was concerned about the width as well, but decided to try it out first before going with the other option which was posted by SamS.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:31 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiba View Post
My pleasure,

Remember - if you do end up ram-a-canning it, you have a cup holder for one coffee and if you have someone else with you there are 2 more in the centre arm rest of the back seats. I can reach mine over there..
Today the back seat arm rest wasn't down so I told my wife to hold her Tim Hortons! hah

Chiba

Chiba, I have a quick question.. On the mount you have, what is the part # between the suction cup and the x-grip? I had different options and picked the following:

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-sho...-b-201u-a.html

Not sure if there was any connector that's shorter than this.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfound View Post
Chiba, I have a quick question.. On the mount you have, what is the part # between the suction cup and the x-grip? I had different options and picked the following:

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-sho...-b-201u-a.html

Not sure if there was any connector that's shorter than this.
This one

RAM Mount Medium Arm B-Socket RAM-B-201U

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-med...am-b-201u.html

It's the perfect length for the F30 cup holder mount. I picked up the long one as well but don't like the phone that close to me..

Chiba
Old 02-10-2013, 05:01 PM

Mein Auto: '13 f30 n26
great write up!

i just ordered my parts as well, i went for the round plate w/screws over the suction cup (just for peace of mind)

Last edited by finaloption; 02-10-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:38 AM

Mein Auto: Audi A4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
I used the following part numbers from ProclipUSA.com: 830530, 215421, 514422.
Thanks for this!!! One question, how secure is the console mount? Can you take a pic of the upper arm as it comes over the console near the shifter? Thanks!
Old 05-14-2013, 11:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg703 View Post
Thanks for this!!! One question, how secure is the console mount? Can you take a pic of the upper arm as it comes over the console near the shifter? Thanks!
The mount is secure, but did require some careful initial installation.

Do my pics in post #4 show what you're looking for?
Old 05-15-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
The mount is secure, but did require some careful initial installation.

Do my pics in post #4 show what you're looking for?
Is the inside of the mount padded so that it doesn't ruin the iDrive plate underneith? I have piano black and it seems vulnerable.

I wanted to see the other side of the mount as it comes over the iDrive plate on the other side of this pic:

THANKS!!!
Old 05-15-2013, 03:01 PM

Mein Auto: 320i w/Sport & Light Pkgs
Cool

I had the same problem when test driving my car. I prefer to use my smartphone because of the maps updates, real-time traffic and of course the cost. But thank you for the advice. The location looks like a really good alternative vs. the windshield with the screen in the middle.

Black on Black 2013 320i Sedan
+ Sport Pkg (M sport suspension, M steering wheel, 18" Light Alloy Wheel V-spoke, Sport seats, Power-adjustable side bolsters, Increased top-speed & Anthracite headliner)
+ Lighting Pkg (Xenon Adaptive Headlights, dynamic auto-leveling, LED Corona surrounds)
+ 2 Way Power Moonroof
Old 05-15-2013, 04:54 PM

Mein Auto: AH3
Quote:
I used the following part numbers from ProclipUSA.com: 830530, 215421, 514422.
Just ordered a similar setup for my AH3. According to the website the mount only works with the original lightning cable. I bought a black aftermarket lightning cable that I am hoping might fit by chance. If not, what are your thoughts with butting the plastic housing on the end of the cable in order to try to make it fit into the mount? Does that look like something that might be possible to you? Thanks in advnace, Sam.

Tim

2013 ActiveHybrid 3 Sport line with every option except Parking Assistant
Old 05-15-2013, 06:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Quote:
Is the inside of the mount padded so that it doesn't ruin the iDrive plate underneith? I have piano black and it seems vulnerable.
I used some mounting tape on the bottom of the mount. This helps add some extra adhesion, and prevents damage to the console underneath.

Quote:
I wanted to see the other side of the mount as it comes over the iDrive plate on the other side of this pic:
Sure, see attached pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avpilot View Post
Just ordered a similar setup for my AH3. According to the website the mount only works with the original lightning cable. I bought a black aftermarket lightning cable that I am hoping might fit by chance. If not, what are your thoughts with butting the plastic housing on the end of the cable in order to try to make it fit into the mount? Does that look like something that might be possible to you? Thanks in advnace, Sam.

Tim
You definitely will have to use an original Lightning cable. The tolerances for the housing/cable end are so tight, only the OEM Apple cable will work. I'm sure you could use a dremel or similar and increase the opening enough for the (Monoprice?) cable to fit, but it's never going to be as secure as using the original cable as designed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	376695  
Old 05-16-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
I used some mounting tape on the bottom of the mount. This helps add some extra adhesion, and prevents damage to the console underneath.

Sure, see attached pic.
Perfect! Exactly what I wanted to see and confirm! Thanks so much!
Old 06-13-2013, 10:06 AM

Mein Auto: F30 320i msport
Hi,

I just got my new F30 and am looking for a similar solution to mount my smartphone (and my wife's when she is driving) and to be able to use maps etc. My first thought is to mount it in front of the LCD screen. I don't have GPS etc so it is just the basic 6.5" screen that has barely anything useful on it other than what radio station I'm listening to.

Has anyone worked out a mounting solution for this? Might need a bit of modification but some kind of clamping around the back of the screen should be doable?
Old 06-13-2013, 10:21 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Hey BJ (or others),
I like the Grip-IT vent.. Two reasons 1) It leaves the cup-holder free, and 2) it's closer to my line of sight of the road. My concern is: are the vent fins strong enough to hold the thing? I wouldn't want them to break.

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:27 AM

This is what I ended up going with for a number of reasons:

1. I like the iPhone higher and closer to the line of sight/iDrive screen
2. this mount is easy to operate with one hand, you can snap the phone in and out and also turn it around - sometimes you want to show something to the passenger, sometimes you want to look at something in horizontal view
3. with charging cable attached to the cigarette lighter outlet in the front it leaves the cup holders free and it's not really in the way of anything else in the car

here's a link to this holder on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

iPhone5 version is also available

Old 06-13-2013, 11:07 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Thanks for the tip. I am going to shoot for the bracketron

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:30 AM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
Hey BJ (or others),
I like the Grip-IT vent.. Two reasons 1) It leaves the cup-holder free, and 2) it's closer to my line of sight of the road. My concern is: are the vent fins strong enough to hold the thing? I wouldn't want them to break.
Yes.

I used vent mounts exclusively from 2006-2012 in my E93 and E90 as neither had iDrive. The mount was rock-solid and is easily removable.

I used the Bracketron solution for my iPhone on my vacation and it worked brilliantly. Is the only non-bulky one that can hold the iPhone in a case, not naked. It also has a magic suction cup that works on uneven surfaces like the crinkle-finish on a dashboard if you want to go that way.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 06-13-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:54 PM

Mein Auto: F30 320i msport
I'm going to try a breffo spiderpodium, see if I can mount it front of the 6.5" LCD

(wish that thing was retractable like it was in my Z4. What a waste of space)
Old 10-11-2013, 08:29 AM

Hey Guys,

Saw something I thought was interesting and thought I would update this thread.

http://www.kenu.com/products/airframe

It's getting great reviews and you can pick it up locally @ the apple store in Canada and US.

Out of curiosity I'll be picking one up today, so stay tuned for a review.

Chiba
Old 10-15-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiba View Post
Hey Guys,

Saw something I thought was interesting and thought I would update this thread.

http://www.kenu.com/products/airframe

It's getting great reviews and you can pick it up locally @ the apple store in Canada and US.

Out of curiosity I'll be picking one up today, so stay tuned for a review.

Chiba
I picked up one for my wife's car. Works well enough. Very secure, feels like a quality product. It is spring loaded adjustable for different widths if you have a case. The problem remains that you have to remove it from the vents to take your phone out because the tolerance on how it's mounted isn't strong enough for you to just pop your phone in and out. I have to remove the mount from the vent to install or remove the phone.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i Sport Line
The most ideal position would be just to the left of the LCD display. This keeps your phone closer to eye level, which would be much safer. What would have been ideal is if BMW would have incorporated a strong magnet hidden in the dash. With a small magnet on the back of your iPhone or Android case, it would allow a perfect magnetic contact. I wish I had been part of the design/engineering process.

It looks to me like the cup holder mount is probably the best solution but it appears that the phone is really too low to monitor GPS maps/radar detection sites, etc.