Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 745LI
I'm new to the forum & having the same issue. Bought my '03 745LI about 6 months ago with no CD in the unit. I bought 10 pack of 2012 CD's & have the CA CD (mine is CD, not DVD) in it now. My nav system thinks I'm by Edwards Air Force base (in CA) when I'm really by Disneyland in Orange County (about 100 miles away). I think maybe I'm not getting satellite reception. Does the shark fin plug directly into the trunk mounted CD player or is thier a connection in between that could have become disconnected?
Old 02-05-2013, 08:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 e65 745i
I posted something similar recently. My 2002 745i Sat Nav worked fine then all of a sudden it is showing me in a different location. I also get the flickering/crackling problem from time to time on the map half of the screen which may of may not be related.

More importantly my GPS logo has disappeared. I'd be interested to know if those of you who are having problems have the GPS letters on the top right of the screen next to the globe?

I too have looked all over the forum from an answer and had come to the conclusion it must be the shark fin, however from what has been said maybe not.

I would echo 'Topnotchpaul', is there any way of checking the connection of the shark fin without ripping it off.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 745LI
Mine only shows the globe (looks more like the bottom left corner of a full moon). No GPS logo anywhere. Since it's never worked in the time I've had the car, I don't really know what should normally be on the screen. My Iphone has a map program probably 10x better than the 10 year old one in the E66 but I wouldn't mind getting it fixed- if it was a reasonable repair.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:47 AM

Mein Auto: '06 750i, '01 M3 vert
Here's what I'm seeing. I've got signal bars in the upper right but no GPS logo.

My 750 is an '06, so my nav is the NAVI03.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	navi03.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	361347  
Old 02-08-2013, 08:05 AM

Yeah mine is the globe logo as well.

It used to have the letters GPS written next to the globe. They have gone and my sat nav now thinks I'm miles away from where I am.

I assume the GPS shark fin is at fault but im not sure.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:27 AM

What do you mean by "globe logo"? Do you mean the circular marker in the middle to indicate vehicle location?
Old 02-09-2013, 01:27 AM

Pic attached. The globe in the top right used to have GPS written in it. I can only assume its the shark fin. I will need to try and remove the screen and check the connection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	361473  
Old 02-11-2013, 06:24 AM

I don't have that globe logo or a GPS label. But isn't it possible your nav is a different version? Mine is Navi03 (2006).
Old 02-11-2013, 06:31 AM

Yes mine is a 2002 model year so I assume is the old system.

I checked the GPS connection at the rear of the DVD in the boot (trunk) but that didn't solve it.

The next option is to check the connection with the shark fin on the roof but I need to work out how to remove the light cluster in the rear passenger roof. I assume the wires/connecters are behind that.

I do suspect its my shark fin at fault. It looks a tricky one to replace DIY. Has anyone replaced one of these themselves? Have any tips?
Old 02-12-2013, 05:25 PM

When you pull down the rear of the headliner a bit, you should be able to see the connector to the GPS line on the shark fin. Speaking of which, the recommended way to remove it is via dental floss or fishing line. Was not easy in my case.

I'd still like to get confirmation that the pic I posted of my nav screen is different from other people's Navi03 nav screen. If I am truly not getting a GPS signal, then what are those signal bars in the upper right corner? Do others with same gen nav system also have no GPS or globe logo?
Old 02-25-2013, 09:17 AM

Still looking and hoping for an answer on this. Can anyone chime in? See pic in post #29 a few posts above this...

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the fly View Post
I'd still like to get confirmation that the pic I posted of my nav screen is different from other people's Navi03 nav screen. If I am truly not getting a GPS signal, then what are those signal bars in the upper right corner? Do others with same gen nav system also have no GPS or globe logo?
Old 02-28-2013, 07:53 AM

No one's got an answer...?
Old 02-28-2013, 02:33 PM

Mein Auto: E66 06
Hello , i had this problem before i remember my nav was giving me bad cd/dvd message so i opened it up and clean the lens and after i finished it gives me this weird problem not actually another. City but off the real location by approx 50 kilometer / 30 miles i did not bother since i dont use the nav much i just hate that error message , but after few months i opened the nav to clean the lens again coz i got same cd/ dvd error and i had to leave town. Same problem again happened with wrong location. , i changed the map cd and after like 100 kilometer/ 60 miles. It auto fixed it self , I think the problem is the map cd but not really sure since i always open up my nav unit amd mess around with it
Old 11-30-2013, 06:02 AM

Has anyone else has these issues with the NAV. I would assume that a loss of GPS signal is pretty common. Has anyone successfully fixed this issue?
Old 02-06-2014, 02:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 745li, 2013 550i
Hey folks,

I have had similar problems with the stuck Nav position. My car (2003 745Li) had a 2004 Navi02 unit and I was not sure if it was working so I bought a 2007 Navi03 unit on ebay and just tried it. It did the same thing. I figured that ruled out the Nav unit being defective. I did not want to buy a new sharkfin antenna and deal with removing headliner and other trim. I wanna sell my car and don't want to spend much more money. Frankly, I never really cared about in car navigation since my phone is so much better. So I tried an aftermarket antenna from Amazon and the Navi03.

My background is engineering, so I thought it was worth a shot. It worked! My Nav unit is whole again! Interestingly enough, it continued to work even when just laying in the trunk pointing up (trunk closed). I need to verify that with some more testing though. My Nav screen shows the satellite with signal quality indication on the upper right hand corner, so it was obvious when it started working. The tricky part of all of this was figuring out the connector on the Nav unit (SMB male). The connector on the cable needs to be SMB female though. Pretty much reach around the back of the unit, pull the old antenna plug, and replace with the new one. Now I need to figure out where to install the antenna more permanently. Perhaps on the shelf at the rear window.

Google for Amazon Xtenzi Navigation GPS SMB Antenna for BMW MK1 2 3 4 E38 E39 E46 X3 X5 Z4

Hopes this helps others - These boards are a wealth of info for us 7 series owners...
Old 02-07-2014, 09:13 AM

Wow -- great post! I can vouch that everything stated above works 'cos I did it myself, with the very same unit from Amazon. I just hadn't posted about it yet. Very eerie as I also have Navi03, bought the same unit, and also am an engineer -- started wondering if I posted in my sleep.

With this method, you avoid the PITA of removing the sharkfin.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 745li, 2013 550i
That is so weird! Well, maybe not so since a lot of the folks here are all about figuring things out thenselves

This past week end I was looking to mount the antenna somewhere, but being very lazy, really did not want to break out any tools. I ended up just placing the antenna right on top of the bracket of the nav unit (it's magnetic and sticks just fine). I did not notice any problems with signal strength and I am really happy that this ia finally fixed.

Now I can sell the car.