Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:35 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Max View Post
I see you are here in Austin. I am about to do the same thing, but I am definitely going to pull the heads to get at the carbon. I bought the cam alignment tools already. If you want to borrow them after I am done, let me know.
Just get some wire brushes 10$ and carb cleaner with wd 40 and leave heads alone
Did it in 3 hrs with intake removed, no cel or anything anymore.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:49 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 M3, 2004 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFbay View Post
Just get some wire brushes 10$ and carb cleaner with wd 40 and leave heads alone
Did it in 3 hrs with intake removed, no cel or anything anymore.
Already did that. I spent a week soaking the passages with Seafoam and BG44K, and ran brushes in and out till I was blue in the face. It did nothing. Solvents aren't going to remove serious carbon deposits, and the brushes can't really get to where they need to be to do any good. Maybe another week of soaking would do the trick, but at this point I would rather remove the heads and thoroughly clean them up, replace the valve seals, lap the valves in and be done.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:41 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Quote:
Already did that. I spent a week soaking the passages with Seafoam and BG44K, and ran brushes in and out till I was blue in the face. It did nothing. Solvents aren't going to remove serious carbon deposits, and the brushes can't really get to where they need to be to do any good. Maybe another week of soaking would do the trick, but at this point I would rather remove the heads and thoroughly clean them up, replace the valve seals, lap the valves in and be done.
So you tried compressed air and it wasn't going through?
Hmmm mine has 160k and it did very well.
Try wd40 plus carb cleaner overnight in a warm place.
Seafoam is kinda idk....
Also kerosine is good thing
Wd40+kerosine+carb cleaner+acetone
Also add brake fluid- works great!!!
Temp is around 25-30C to start chemical reaction

Last edited by SFbay; 02-08-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:28 AM

Mein Auto: various BMW's
A word of caution on introducing chemicals into the cylinders that could possible destroy the siliconized aluminum treatment (alusil). For instance, oven cleaner will destroy the cylinders in short order.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:54 AM

Mein Auto: various BMW's
Quote:
I see you are here in Austin. I am about to do the same thing, but I am definitely going to pull the heads to get at the carbon. I bought the cam alignment tools already. If you want to borrow them after I am done, let me know.
Great offer, thank you. I may go ahead and purchase the AGA cleaning kit and give it a shot. Regardless, I will need to replace the valve seals and need the cam tools. . If I go that route, you are welcome to borrow the cleaning kit if you want to give it another try. But it seems your case of carbon is severe. Mine, not so much as I can clear the fault and it will not return for weeks at a time. So, I assume I am getting some flow through the ports.