Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: 04 Duramax 09 BMW X5
Clock & Trip Odometer keep clearing

Anyone have a solution to the clock going to zero along with the trip odometer? I don't beleive it's the battery. The other thing that happens is comfort access does not work or at least for unlocking the door, seems to be an intermittant thing.
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2013, 04:57 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag View Post
Anyone have a solution to the clock going to zero along with the trip odometer? I don't beleive it's the battery. The other thing that happens is comfort access does not work or at least for unlocking the door, seems to be an intermittant thing.
what makes you sure it isnt the battery?
Old 02-09-2013, 06:47 AM

I have not had a load test on the battery; however, I did charge the battery for ten hours to make sure it was topped off. Reset the time & date, used the rig for a couple of short trips for parts and when I went to put it in the garage last evening the time was no longer displayed. I will have a load test done this next week when I go into town. Just seems strange that there is enough power to start the vehicle but not enough for the other systems, and it does not struggle to start either. If these systems are so sensitive to power it makes you wonder why BMW would use such a marginal system?
Old 02-09-2013, 09:05 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Many many people wonder the same... I just know they do weird things as the batteries run low... Strangely the start, but trip other errors. Not saying it is definite, but the BMW battery will fool the usual 'logic tree' one uses...

GL, report back

A
Old 02-19-2013, 07:06 AM

Okay, just a quick update. Since topping the battery off to a full charge I have not had a reoccurance of this problem. I will still get a load test done on it as soon as life gets out of the way. It should be good given that it is only four years old - but it also seems that BMW undersized the charging system given the fact that it needs a specific amount of power to monitor or maintain it's systems. I'll be sure to let you know after the test.