Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 xDrive35d
X35d (2009) Engine Operating at reduced speed...

This message has come up several times in the past few months and each time I have taken it in, various components have been replaced. Last time all vacuum lined were replaced but the fault has returned. The car has been at the dealer since Monday of this week. Yesterday they told me that the sensor they had ordered has arrived and will be fitted. I am hoping to get the car back later today. I will post all the various components replaced todate. The warranty runs out in May 2013.

Has this happened to any diesel owners and if so, what was done to fix the issue.

I have asked to meet with the service manager when I go to pick the car up as I need to get to the bottom of this issue.

Any helpful advice is most welcome.
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2013, 05:54 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Get EVERYTHING in writing. Refuse to accept the car and/or sign off on the warranty until the words on the BMW paperwork 'match' the story the SA or service manager tells you- if it is "we tried this, and if it doesnt work, we will do that', then precisely those words should be on the repair order (RO)

Too often people fail to pay attention to 'the record' and have done lap after lap with service, with many stories- but all they have is a few comments here or there that really fail to document the true dimensions of the work, effort or promises.

GL

A
Old 02-09-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Get EVERYTHING in writing. Refuse to accept the car and/or sign off on the warranty until the words on the BMW paperwork 'match' the story the SA or service manager tells you- if it is "we tried this, and if it doesnt work, we will do that', then precisely those words should be on the repair order (RO)

Too often people fail to pay attention to 'the record' and have done lap after lap with service, with many stories- but all they have is a few comments here or there that really fail to document the true dimensions of the work, effort or promises.

GL

A
Thank you ard for very good advise. I have documented well and kept all the invoices.

In my meeting with the service manager, he admitted that they are at a loss of what they can do next as BMW Canada will only allow them to replace parts according to the service plan and will not cover for any other suspected items. BMW Canada has so far not given the dealers any solutions. Many other dealers have the same issues. My dealer has four vehicles with the same issues. Two have been "bought back" by a generous allowance on another vehicle after taking into consideration any depreciation. I have today written to BMW Canada to buy back/replace my vehicle.

This may be a cold climate issue, but I do not think so as error messages on my vehicle have come up in plus temperatures and when the engine has been running for short time or even in the middle of a long journey. The service manager told me that BMW will be introducing soon a retrofit engine heating system that will automatically come on when the temperature drops under certain value or shut off when outside temperature rises. BMW will not cover the cost but will offer at a cost to the consumer. Cost is expected to be in the $500-$600 range. The system will be heating the coolant rather than the conventional block heater system.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:49 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35D
Hmm, I'm in Ontario, and I haven't had those issues. The one issue that I have is the diesel exhaust smell. The car has been into Parkview at least 3 times now, they changed the inlet hose to the intercooler, its was leaking, but I don't have the typical exhaust cooler leak that causes the smell. The tech had all the lower panels off to check for an exhaust leak and he couldn't find any, and yet I still have the smell. The worst part is its not constant, I think that its when DEF gets injected.

How many KM on your car? I'm at 63k km on my '09

| ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZSP | ZTP | 322 | 2VA | 456 | 4AD | 4UB | 610 | 655 | 6FF | 6FL | Combox + CIC + LCI Headlight/Tailight retro |

Last edited by blue dragon; 02-09-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:18 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

1. If BMW truly has no idea, then don't believe the dealers guess about an engine heater

2.if the car needs an engine heater to be able to to operate in the region into which BMW sold the car, then BMW must provide it for free.

3. there is a huge amount of data on your car that you/we dont have...initial codes, frequencey, test plans run, results, etc, etc, I used to have my SA document the codes, testplans and results- along with part replaced, etc- on my WOs. Many page documents. When I pressed for a lemon complaint on my 2010 with 32k miles, there really wasnt much discussion.

GL

A
Old 02-09-2013, 04:13 PM

I am at 61585 kms at present.

I am going to ask the service manager provide me with the printout that ard mentioned in relation to this additional information. They have been very forthcoming with the information of how many cars they have the issue with and how many have been replaced. The registered letter has been mailed to the President of BMW Canada. I expect to hear from them next week. I will keep you all posted.

I did start looking at the BMW website to see what the current offerings is.

If I do replace the vehicle, I may go for the gas engine although I love the torque in the diesel for highway driving..
Old 02-09-2013, 04:46 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Our 2012 diesel has been perfection. It was the first 2012 diesel reportedly sold in the US on this site and xoutpost (AFAIK)...

the 9 and 10 had a lot of issues, some cars were fine, but others just a litany of issues. In my experience, looking at posts, I'm feeling the diesel issues have been addressed.

My 2 cents

A
Old 02-09-2013, 05:17 PM

If the diesell issues have been solved in the recent model years, I would be willing to take a chance.

ard - what are the must haves if I was to order the new version.

My preference is the lighter colours and there are not many and not all that great either. The darker colours are very difficult to up keep in my neck of the woods.

The current vehicle is bronze with beigh interior and I do like this combination. Extra care is needed with regular cleaning of the light carpet and leather.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:55 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

I should have added...my 2010 diesel was also one of the very first deliveries posted here (weird huh?) and it was in the shop 62 days and I lemoned it. Both bronze. Saddle/cinnamon on both.

AD, spare tire.

A
Old 02-09-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
I should have added...my 2010 diesel was also one of the very first deliveries posted here (weird huh?) and it was in the shop 62 days and I lemoned it. Both bronze. Saddle/cinnamon on both.

AD, spare tire.

A
That is wierd, that yours was also a bronze.

Thanks for the reminder about the spare tire and must also not forget the cargo cover. In Canada they do have a different config. and options.

ard, can you check it out (build) a vehicle on the Canadian site: BMW.ca?
Old 02-09-2013, 07:29 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ View Post
That is wierd, that yours was also a bronze.

Thanks for the reminder about the spare tire and must also not forget the cargo cover. In Canada they do have a different config. and options.

ard, can you check it out (build) a vehicle on the Canadian site: BMW.ca?

The 'must have' was kinda tongue in cheek...everyone's is different, and 50% of the conversations seem to be arguments about what a new buyer should or should not buy! All depends on you.

I can get onto that site, but my browser doesnt seem to like it.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:42 PM

ard - I thought after all those posts and the spare tire.

About the browser - you need to download the free Java program and then it works fine. The older operating systems like XP will soon become redundant.

I am finally going back to my favourite system - the Mac. which is on order. Everything seems to work more seemlessly. It is a lot more expensive than the Microsoft based operating system but well worth it with the 27" screen.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:46 PM

So I got my car back last Friday and did not get to drive the car until this week. So far so good as the error message has not come up. The repair bill states the following" No CEL on when driving into shop. Engine runs good. Read fault memory. FC:4952 SCR pressure control overpressure is stored with frequency of 2. Completed test plan. All set points are reached. No fault found with system at this time. Fault 4521 is stored with frequency of 5. Due to previous checks and parts replacement, PUMA case has been updated, waiting for reply.
As per PUMA case response, smoke checked intake system, no leaks found.
Checked boost pressure sensor in the intake manifold. During removal for inspection found sensor is brittle and dirty. Reinstalled intake and new sensor.
Checked vacuum supply to solenoids and acutators, OK.
Checked stroke of acutators, adjusted the low pressure turbo wastegate acutator.
Found no signs of tempering.
Cleared faults and road test No warnings or faults return.

Job #1 Qty 1 FP Number 13-62-7-792-260 Fuel injection system warranty
Job #1 Qty 6 FP Number 11-61-7-790-198 Profile gasket warranty
Job #1 Qty 6 FP Number 11-61-2-246-945 Profile gasket warranty
Job #1 Qty 1 FP Number 07-12-9-952-137 Hose clamp warranty"

I hope ard can make sense of this.

I wonder how much does the boost pressure sensor cost and if one can expect this needing to be replaced every 50K kms.

Your thoughts please.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:31 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

That's kind of unsatisfying, eh?

4521 is a Boost Pressure Actuator - Regulation too high, from what google tells me.

Interestingly they wrote 'tempering' and meant TAMPERING. I am guessing these are codes that might get tripped when somthing is used to fool the DDE into 'more performance'?

I think the tech (rightly) thought 'well, if the sensor isnt sending the right signal, that might be an issue...there have been recalls around this part. And PUMA isnt telling me to replace it, so maybe if I make up a dirty/brittle story, I can replace it for Mr RJ"

See what happens. Sorry, all I got

A
Old 02-13-2013, 09:38 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
As you can see from my post count, I spend a lot of time here (though not as much as ard), and I don't recall ever seeing these drivability issues on the X5 35D. (Other issues, yes, but not these). I find it curious that your particular dealer has a rash of them. Possible explanations might include:
  • Either BMW Canada or your particular dealer hasn't been doing all the recalls / campaigns we've had in the USA
  • You have some very bad fuel in Edmonton
  • DEF related issues.
The DEF sounds counter-intuitive, but something you mentioned got me wondering. I have heard precisely nothing about an auxiliary heating system for the ENGINE coolant. But I do know several 'Festers have had problems with their auxiliary DEF tanks freexing. (IIRC CDNROCKIES was on that list). A heater for the auxiliary DEF tank would make all the sense in the world.

We have had our 2011 X5D through 3 winters, with lots of sub-zero (F) temps, and zero problems. In fact, we rarely have to wait for the pre-heater before the car will start. I'm sure it is colder in Edmonton, but I would be amazed if that is the issue. My bet is your fuel is the problem.

It is my understanding that the X5 35D has an auxiliary heater for the cabin (Webasco?) which is optional in the EU, but standard in the US. I have no clue whether you get it in Canada. ard probably has the answer to that and will chime in momentarily.

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 02-13-2013, 02:14 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Q- usually when a car is over-boosing, or the AFR gets dangerously lean, the DME/DDE goes to a failsafe 'reduced output' mode. In the older gas motors we called this "limp mode" as there was not message to hthe driver. Now you get various text displays- my recollection is diesel and gas have different warnings. But the key is that when the car goes into limp it is doing it to be protective..AND this can point you as to what the underlying cause is (boost, sensors, fuel, air leaks, ect)

Anyway, for RJ- something is wrong and is 'fooling' the DDE, AND fooling the TestPlans they run...AND fooling Puma....
Old 02-13-2013, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto: was 530d, is X5d 2011
Probably not so relevant, but Webasto is in fact optional in Europe, but is not available in the US at all

WTB: spare tire kit
Old 02-14-2013, 06:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d
Fuel filter?

I recently had a Reduced Power event and had to pull over. Got the X5d restarted and went straight to the dealer. They replaced fuel filter, fuel filter heater and the fuel tank pump. There was a comment on the work order that suggested a previous fault code for fuel filter had been missed. Fortunately I bought an extended warranty so only cost $50.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:04 AM

Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanar200 View Post
Probably not so relevant, but Webasto is in fact optional in Europe, but is not available in the US at all
Maybe Quack was referring to the auxillary ceramic cabin heater that comes with the north american d's.

Jay
Old 02-14-2013, 10:01 AM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
^ nice info and clarity,

But what's the aux heater that heats the cabin air before the motor is warm gotta do with op issue...

By the looks of ur code profile and description, u seem to be having fuel issue. It seems the fuel is contaminated slightly and hence the codes are up. Question for the op, when do you exactly recall the reduced speed warning.

1) during cold starts or after driving for a while
2) before or after fill ups

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 02-14-2013, 10:05 AM
X5///M & tuned X5d

Mein Auto: X5M/X5 35d/700hp G35
Mine just got out of the shop where it was for 60days...looking back at the service history I have pretty much a new truck from all of the stuff that has been replaced...does Canada have lemon laws? With the 60 days mine was just in the shop and the 2" thick service history including a new transmission I am sure I am over 90days in the shop.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:16 AM

Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
Do you know if they replaced the fuel filter? The only time my Silverado diesel has ever given me a reduced power mode was when I got a bad tank of gas in the winter and the fuel filter was gelling in the cold. Swapped out the filter in a buddies driveway, reset the check engine lights and was golden for my 3 hour return trip to home.

Jay
Old 02-15-2013, 08:08 AM

Thank you all for you valuable comments.

To answer some of questions posed:

I had the message return this morning, after about 2 kms on the road and then at about 6 kms. on my short 20 minute drive to work.

I do not think the issue is weather related as the message has come up 2 hours after being on the road after leaving Vancouver on a early summer morning, about 7:30 am.

I use Shell V-power fuel. Prior to taking the car in last time I had filled up a few days earlier. After getting the car back from the service last Friday, I have not filled up so todays warning message does not have anything to do with fueling or the fuel, I think.

On the last visit the sensor was replace as indicated at the top of the post. On the previous visit all the vacuum lines were replaced. Several attempts in the past have been made to test for leaks and a small leak was found in one of the hoses (not sure which one as I do not have my paperwork with me at present).

The fuel filter heater and fuel filter has been replaced in the past as well as the urea tank.

We do not have lemon laws in Canada like it does in USA and it sucks. The manufacturers are able to get away and do not deal with real serious issues.

The dealer has admitted that they are not getting the support they need from BMW Canada and they are frustrated. Several Canadian dealers are dealing with the same issue.

I am satisfied that all the recalls has been taken care of as I follow this thread and I am aware of what needs to be done and have taken the vehicle in to be taken care of the recalls.

The car has been worked on by the dealers most experienced tech.

I hope I have answered all the questions.

I have sent another e-mail to the service manager, informing him of the return of the messages this morning and again asking that the dealer and BMW Canada replace this vehicle.

I really appreciate the help of you guys with all your technical knowledge and insight of this vehicle.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:56 PM

ard looking for your input......

As I did not hear back from the Service Manager today as promised, I sent him an e-mail below:

"You were going to chat with George and get back to me today. Perhaps you are catching up with the backlog.

Please let me know what Bavaria BMW and BMW Canada are planning to do to resolve the ongoing issue with my vehicle.

Thanks"

His reply:

"Basically we need to book your car for service. Please let us know".

I wrote back:

"Please let me know what you are planning to do this time as you told me that you have done all you needed to do.

I need your assurance that this time the car will be fixed and I will not have this issue any more.

I am tired of bringing the car in and the fault not resolved as I simply cannot afford to take any more time off from work.

I can come first thing tomorrow morning."

His response:

"We have our engineering dept to look at this particular vehicle to get it right ones for all .

Please let me know what day will work for you next week"

I want to send the message below: (Please change as necessary)

"I had asked you below, what exactly you were planning to do if I was to bring in the vehicle. Unfortunately you have not provided me with the details requested.

Once again, I feel that you will need to give me more specific details as to what exactly you plan to do. I insist on getting this information.

I honestly feel that with the ongoing issue with this model year with not only my vehicle but also several other vehicles, it is pointless to spend more labour hours and parts when eventually a replacement will be necessary.

As the record shows, I have given XXXXXXX BMW ample opportunity to have this problem resolved.

Please contact BMW Canada and let them know that I want this vehicle replaced immediately.

Thank you."

Am I firm but polite enough or use more stronger language? I want them to be on my side to have BMW Canada do what is necessary.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:31 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jashearer View Post
Maybe Quack was referring to the auxillary ceramic cabin heater that comes with the north american d's.

Jay
I know there is an auxiliary heater, but honestly wouldn't know the difference between a ceramic and a Webasto (and I am frankly too lazy to Google and learn the difference). Jay, I will defer to you on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post
^ nice info and clarity,

But what's the aux heater that heats the cabin air before the motor is warm gotta do with op issue...
In post 3 the OP said his dealer told him BMW would be introducing a retrofit ENGINE heater. I don't think such a part exists, so I was wondering if the dealer meant retrofit CABIN heater, be that ceramic, Webasto or something else.

I am just trying to help him decypher the dealer-speak. My guess is that either the dealer mis-spoke or that the OP mis-heard / misinterpreted what he said. I am TREMENDOUSLY skeptical that any retrofit engine heater is in the pipeline, and that said heater will solve his ongoing problems.

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic