Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:40 AM
The Good Doctor

Mein Auto: Spaceship
Question Solutions for the yellow-ish fogs

What have you guys done to try to match the fog light color to that of the headlight? I don't care to do an HID conversion much as i'd probably blind oncoming traffic. I found this http://www.carid.com/2012-bmw-x5-lig...s-3126541.html and was curious to see what other options may be out there. As always, thanks for any input.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:25 AM

Mein Auto: X5
That looks good, I might just order a pair too. I also dislike the look of cheapo halogen bulbs in the fogs. (Especially when they come on with the turn signal.)
Old 02-08-2013, 10:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
That does look good and guaranteed no errors or check engine alerts is good too
For $17.49 a piece looks like a nice upgrade.. I think I will try it too but I rather see how it looks first.

I saw a few videos on youtube but I'm not sure if it is the same exact bulb specs.
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.

Last edited by Kzang; 02-08-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:18 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35d, S4, V50 T5
Though they say no flickering, I wonder how they respond to the dimming aspect of our fogs, especailly since the fog lights come on every time we turn or reverse. I have had issues/flickering while dimming LED lights installed in my house.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:44 PM

Mein Auto: '13 X5 50i
I'm very interested in how these look after install. Please post pics if you decide to get them.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:29 PM

The website says these are 5500K color. How does that compare to the headlights, will they match well. I thought the headlights were 6500. Anything is better than the yellow incandescents.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:12 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Assuming one actually wants to use the fog lights in fog, a yellowish light should be more effective.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
Assuming one actually wants to use the fog lights in fog, a yellowish light should be more effective.
True.. I think some here consider them as driving lights as well
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:15 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35i 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
True. In fog if you were to use regular white light visibility is zero. Yellow works the best in fog. The fog light we have in our cars now days are not real fog lamps. Fog lamps are suppose to be even more darker yellow.

X5 2013 Black/Cinnmon 3row,cold weather,technology.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:50 AM

Hence my last post I made about driving lights....
Old 02-10-2013, 08:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
I would not trust this manufacturer for two reasons :

Website shows angel eye bulbs ( DRL ) at 17.49 for LED, never have seen them so inexpensive.

Main reason is that they show a headlight replacement bulb for non-hid X5???, all 2007 and up came with factory equipped with HID headlights.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35i
I would just get a pair of 3000k h8 bulb, they are under $15 on eBay. Those LEDs they look amber not yellow.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:51 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ductman View Post
Main reason is that they show a headlight replacement bulb for non-hid X5???, all 2007 and up came with factory equipped with HID headlights.
No they didn't. You'll be surprised, but there are even X5s with partially manual seats.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:16 PM

Mein Auto: 14 X1 xdrive28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_H View Post
What have you guys done to try to match the fog light color to that of the headlight? I don't care to do an HID conversion much as i'd probably blind oncoming traffic. I found this http://www.carid.com/2012-bmw-x5-lig...s-3126541.html and was curious to see what other options may be out there. As always, thanks for any input.
I tried them and they are terrible, don't waste your money. I am sticking with my after market yellow bulbs because that is the best color for fog lights.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:18 PM
The Good Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshotel View Post
I tried them and they are terrible, don't waste your money. I am sticking with my after market yellow bulbs because that is the best color for fog lights.
Thanks for the feedback! Guess I'll stick to stocks until I can find a suitable replacement.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:21 AM

Mein Auto: X5 3.0si e70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor_H View Post
Thanks for the feedback! Guess I'll stick to stocks until I can find a suitable replacement.
hey,

..after researching, i came to know about the GP Thunder 7500K which i've decided to try out. i've bought the same 7500k for both angel eyes as well as fogs. wont be installing them for a few months, but just though i'd share..

ive seen pics and vids comparing stock and the GP's and they seem like a close enough match. my x5 has the HID's with yukkyyellow halos and fogs..

http://www.hidlightsusa.com/subcat.a...0Thunder.7500k is where i bought mine from. these are manufactured in korea i think. h11 and h8 are the bulbs u'll need.

my options were either these filament bulbs or the newer led's.. i chose these because i liked how my lights would dim gradually when coming off, and more importantly - the price and how they look (atleast on the pics\vids\reviews ive read n seen)

hope this helps. i'll let u know how mine look when i install em.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:33 PM

Mein Auto: B8 S4, E70 X5d
^^^ oem hid's are typically 4300k, if you want fogs to match, you need a "xenon match", like the ones from Hoen. if you go with 5500, 6000, 7500 etc. they will be bluer than the headlights. you need 5000k or less to match them.

also, one thing to note, is that these xenon match bulbs with blue coating will reflect off the chrome surround inside the housing and the whole thing will look blue when the lamp is off. some people don't mind that look...i do, think it looks tacky on a $60k+ bmw. just my opinion
2012 S4 Prestige 6MT | Ibis White w/Silver Spectra & Black Nappa | Sport Diff | Rear Shades | Clear Bra | 30% Metalized Tint | Interior LED's | OEM License LED's | APR Stage II+ | 19" Forgestars | H&R OE Springs | AWE Exhaust | Roc-Euro Intake
Old 02-26-2013, 04:39 PM
The Good Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanej View Post
hey,

..after researching, i came to know about the GP Thunder 7500K which i've decided to try out. i've bought the same 7500k for both angel eyes as well as fogs. wont be installing them for a few months, but just though i'd share..

ive seen pics and vids comparing stock and the GP's and they seem like a close enough match. my x5 has the HID's with yukkyyellow halos and fogs..

http://www.hidlightsusa.com/subcat.a...0Thunder.7500k is where i bought mine from. these are manufactured in korea i think. h11 and h8 are the bulbs u'll need.

my options were either these filament bulbs or the newer led's.. i chose these because i liked how my lights would dim gradually when coming off, and more importantly - the price and how they look (atleast on the pics\vids\reviews ive read n seen)

hope this helps. i'll let u know how mine look when i install em.
Thanks shanej!

Mine's post LCI so the HIDs and Halos are pretty white. If I could find a good match for the fogs, I would be golden! I really appreciate the info. I will check them out and will read up on them tonight!
Old 02-26-2013, 04:43 PM
The Good Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfabes View Post
^^^ oem hid's are typically 4300k, if you want fogs to match, you need a "xenon match", like the ones from Hoen. if you go with 5500, 6000, 7500 etc. they will be bluer than the headlights. you need 5000k or less to match them.

also, one thing to note, is that these xenon match bulbs with blue coating will reflect off the chrome surround inside the housing and the whole thing will look blue when the lamp is off. some people don't mind that look...i do, think it looks tacky on a $60k+ bmw. just my opinion
Ditto! Not fond of the blue-ish reflection off the housing here either. I'm sure it's barely noticeable, but knowing myself, I'd probably be unhappy with it, which is why I was leaning towards LEDs originally.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:12 AM

Mein Auto: Mywifecrazy
Has anyone tried the HID conversion kit for the fogs sold by Burger? Looks like a quality set.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:56 PM
The Good Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by franc01 View Post
Has anyone tried the HID conversion kit for the fogs sold by Burger? Looks like a quality set.
Looks solid indeed! I just wonder if it would blind oncoming drivers.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:19 PM

Mein Auto: B8 S4, E70 X5d
the thing about the hid fog kits is that they are brighter than the headlights because the fog lenses are not projectors, and the x5's are pretty high. if you want to go that route, you absolutely cannot go wrong with these guys. prices are unbeatable, as is their warranty. i ran their bulbs and kits for over 2 years with no problems. i had a bulb issue after 3 months and they replaced the pair no questions asked.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W
Old 02-28-2013, 08:28 PM
The Good Doctor

Quote:
the thing about the hid fog kits is that they are brighter than the headlights because the fog lenses are not projectors, and the x5's are pretty high. if you want to go that route, you absolutely cannot go wrong with these guys. prices are unbeatable, as is their warranty. i ran their bulbs and kits for over 2 years with no problems. i had a bulb issue after 3 months and they replaced the pair no questions asked.

+1. I have a DDM slim kit in my BB6 with Morimoto retros and they have been wonderful considering I paid less than $50 for the kit, if memory serves me well.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:10 PM

Solutions for the yellow-ish fogs

Quote:

Would the attached picture be the correct order to replace the fogs on a 2013 X5? I don't need to use the fogs for lighting in a fog just want them to match the white AEs and headlights. I chose the 5,000 lumens 55W based on this thread. Thanks.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1377663026.551466.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	393940

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-08-2013, 12:22 PM

Solutions for the yellow-ish fogs

Still unsure as to what to order from DDM Tuning to replace the factory fogs to match the headlight LEDs on a 2013 X5. If anyone has experiences please let me know, posted the items in my shopping cart earlier not sure if they are all needed. Thanks for any help.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app